We have a vacancy in our Meter Department for an Apprentice Meterperson. This is a position covered under the collective agreement.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications which are essential to this position:
- Knowledge and/or courses relating to electrical theory that will enable the successful completion of the Theory Qualifying Test to enter the Meter Technician Level 1 training
- Ontario College of Trades Electrician certification, or a graduate of a Community College program in Electrical Technology (Power or Control) that could lead to registration as a Certified Engineering Technologist or Technician
- Customer service oriented with strong interpersonal skills
- Concise written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated mechanical aptitude, analytical and trouble shooting skills
- Valid class G Ontario Driver’s License
- Proven ability to work effectively and safely in a team setting
- Ability to perform essential duties of the position including regular standby duties and the ability to respond to emergency call-outs within thirty minutes
- Proficient in the use of a computer and related software applications
- Demonstrated commitment to safety in the workplace
- Demonstrated company values, in particular respect in the workplace
The successful applicant will start an apprenticeship program, and will be required to attend the MEARIE Meter Technician Training program as scheduled by Guelph Hydro. Entrance into Meter Technician Level 1 training requires the successful completion of the Theory Qualifying Test. Continuation in the Apprenticeship with Guelph Hydro will require successful completion of all levels of the apprenticeship training program.
Duties of the Meterperson will include the following:
- Installation and maintenance of single phase and polyphase meters and metering systems
- Programming of electronic meters and testing of meters to ensure their accuracy
- Setup and support of interval data collection systems (currently MV90)
- Installation, operation and troubleshooting of Smart Metering systems
If you have these qualifications and are looking for a challenge in a dynamic environment please send your detailed up-to-date resume and cover letter in confidence, by 4:30 p.m. on Friday, December 6, 2013.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
"We are an Equal Opportunity Employer"