Group Dynamite Employee Reviews

Not the worst but lots of gossiping
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB9 May 2017
Lots of gossip too much emphasis on sales not enough emphasis on getting customers in
Very unhealthy environment for young girls to be working especially when that is the target employee and customer
Poor upper management
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 March 2017
The company is fantastic for part time associates but working as a key holder or higher leaves a lot to be desired. They promote growth and advancement however there is little room for it. There is a huge disconnect between upper management and store management. District and regional supervisors often keep the stores in the dark. Even though you have the title of store manager the company micromanages and wants things done so specifically that a robot may as well do them. Salary leaves lot of room for improvement as I was offered an assistant position elsewhere that paid higher than stores manager. Sadly while they appear to listen and to care about staff opinion they do not. In my time with the company I had several conversations about concerns I had and nothing came of it. They smile, nod their head, and disregard. It is difficult to build a career somewhere where upper level management participates in gossip. Some managers work upwards of 50 hours a week with no thanks or appreciation. And certainly no help from higher ups.
Pros
Incentives for part time staff
Cons
Lack of appreciation
Positive Workplace
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON14 February 2017
Company really focused on positive reinforcement. I feel like I received adequate training for the position I worked. I enjoyed my time working as a team leader and quickly made positive connections with the entire staff.
Fun and social environment
Third Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC10 January 2017
I learned proper management techniques and assistance in opening and closing the store. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to interact and serve our friendly customers.
environement de travail dynamique
Conseillère à la vente (Former Employee) –  Montréal-Est, QC20 December 2016
La gérante du magasin est vraiment dynamique et cela change totalement l’ambiance du magasin, les journées passent plus rapidement.
Pros
rabais sur les produits
Cons
les pauses sont courtes
Beware of mangement
Associate Manager (Former Employee) –  GTA31 August 2016
I have been with this company for more then 8 years, I would have loved to stay with them, but the way the manager treats you makes it not worth it, you become a slave, and don't even get the time off that you request. I honestly loved the company and the clothing, but the environment was so stressful and you could feel it with all the staff as well. The manager had no compassion, even if you were dying sick you would still have to come in to close the store because we never had a full team of managers. Manager made you do everything but never taught you how to do it cause she didn't know how to do it herself. Everytime the store did something good it would only be because of the manager that was there, the rest of the team never got any credit.
Pros
Good discount
Cons
Not getting time off, no able to use sick hours, work overload
Productive and Fast paced job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 July 2016
Gained a lot of management skills from my time with Group Dynamite. Would have liked to be in a better trustworthy work environment long term.
Pros
gained a lot of customer service skills
Cons
Lack of communication from DSS via employees
Do NOT Work with this company
sales associate (Former Employee) –  bc25 September 2015
No break unless you have a 6 hour shift, no compensation (commission) yet you are given a personal goal and you get scolded if you dont meet your goal, there are times where you will only get one 5 hour or a 3 hour shift per week, you are ask to do a lot of task, management is ridiculously terrible, district manager in the lower mainland is ridiculously terrible at managing all the stores and treating the staff, they treat employees like a slave, co workers talk behind each others back, you cant take vacations on black out periods ( december, august) even though you are just working for a clothing store, everything about this company is just terrible and no place for growth at all. I DONT RECOMMEND WORKING HERE
Pros
50% discount
Cons
Pay is really bad (10.45), very few hours, a lot of task, No commission
Emploi stressante
Service à la clientèle (Former Employee) –  Saint-Hyacinthe, QC24 September 2015
Je n'aimais pas la vente sous-pression, pour les clients que voulaient seulement regarder c'étais très énervant. nous devions les abordés en rentrant dans le magasin, ensuite dans la zone 2, ensuite dans les cabines et ensuite a la fin a la caisse
Pros
très beau produit
Cons
vente sous-pression
Excellent work experience
inventory clerk (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC15 February 2015
Learned about time management, and inventory related understanding and analysis
Friendly and nice coworker
The hardest part is understanding basic knowledge at beginning, and French understanding as third language
if you want to feel valued pick another company
manager (Former Employee) –  gta23 July 2014
The culture the company preaches about growth and and employee retention is false.
The company allows double standards in employee relations. My DSS didn't not embody or display any of the values she enforced from her store managers. You were not able to succeed you because you were not given more opportunity to do so. Basically if they didn't like you (for any reason, not job performance) they would force you out or find a way to say with no explanation "youre not a right fit". I know of them interviewing store managers in the gta area and telling the candidate they couldn't inform them of they actual location because they hadn't fired the current manager yet. Everything is done behind your back and in a manner that directly conflicts with the company's supposed employee relation policies.
If you're looking for part time employment and you have a good manager you would probably enjoy your time there. If you're looking for growth development and wanting term stay away from Groupe Dynamite.
Pros
music and discount
Cons
upper management, no belief in employees, unfair employee relation behaviours
Worst Company EVER!!!! Stay far away
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Alberta17 April 2014
Was a store manager who was getting results but wasn't good enough, had zero support from DSS. This company will promise you promotions etc and then never deliver, the training in this company is horrible they pretty much throw you on a floor and tell you to sell, even though you don't know the product yet. Then they turn around and write you up even when you hadn't been properly trained and brought this to there attention. Don't take anything they say as truth, they go back on their word daily. Staff made numerous complaints about UPPER management and by upper I mean higher then store manager. Nothing was ever done about it, If you're not in their kliq they will push you out no matter what you accomplish. Just look at their website you will see company wide about 100 management positions available keyholder,assistant,associate,store manager and district sales supervisors. There is a reason for this, turn over is massive in this company and for good reason. Lack of training and support will always lead to people quitting or being fired. Yet they haven't figured this out yet. Worst experience I have ever had and I have worked for a few retail companies as a manager that were great. Be prepared to work 50+ hours a week with no appreciation.
Pros
Working with the in store team of girls. Good pay, but not worth it!
Cons
Upper management, no support, lack of training, 50+ hour weeks, working weeks without a day off, work way past midnight every week during visual changes
lack of encouragement and positive leadership
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario8 April 2014
As a manager my job was to run a retail store in a positive and profitable manner. I have had many years experience doing just that.
I have had the opportunity to work for a few retail organizations over the years and a couple of them were absolutely wonderful. They encouraged, promoted, compensated and treated their management, supervisors and even floor staff with respect. Until I worked for the Garage Clothing Company (Dynamite Group). I was never so discouraged and devalued. Such a militant structure, void of any human emotion or compassion. Everything was "unacceptable"! This is a word that was used constantly to suggest that nothing was to standard. Yet, what exactly were the standards? Everything was unclear and distorted by the time communications travelled down the management chain. So, disheartening for the staff and myself. I have always had a hard work ethic and love to succeed, so this was not a company for me.
Pros
discount and inventory control system
Cons
lack of encouragement
Very productive and an enjoyable workplace.
Reports to Assistant Manager and Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON3 September 2013
A typical workday at Group Dynamite consists of checking emails, communicating with the Assistant Manager and Manager of the store. Keeping up to date with current promotions, competitors promotions, recruiting. Coaching the part-timers, Opening and closing procedures, and customer service.

Ive learned excellent time management. Multi-tasking, becoming more comfortable in a managerial role.

I have amazing co-workers. We all work very well as a team.

The hardest part of the job is meeting head offices standards such as conversion and hitting targets.

The most enjoyable part of my job is that I love helping people fee; good about themselves, and picking out an outfit that they will love.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Long hours, working early in the morning, or late at night, the salary is awful
Productive and creative atmosphere
Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ON6 March 2013
A typical day at work would consist of standard opening procedures, checking the shape of the store. Organizing/grooming the store so that it would be at tip top shape for the customers eyes. Balance cash, white board daily organization display so that employees could see when their breaks are. Daily sales goals rant to all team members to enlighten them to what we are trying to achieve.

The hardest part of the job was making sure all shifts were filled. When I was managing I had two re-occurring issues with two employees calling in sick numerous times resulting in termination of their employment. That was a bit frustrating with little staff on busy days.

The most enjoyable part was reaching those set goals as a team and being able to reward everyone with celebrating outside of work. I had a great team when I worked there.
Pros
hard working team
Cons
having to fire two team members while i was incharge