Grimshaw Trucking Employee Reviews

Hated It
Call Center Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 January 2018
Horrible place, management sucks, favoritism, will never ever work for this company again. They don’t know how to train their employees, they don’t take the time to teach new employees.
Pros
Cons
Management sucks
Thankless
Driver/Delivery (Former Employee) –  Alberta20 December 2017
The work is decent. Not overly demanding ( for this type of work). Pay is reasonable (nothing spectacular, but not bad). Benefits are good. Front line coworkers are mostly pretty good to work with. Much like the employees, equipment is run down and poorly taken care of, often to the point of being unsafe. Upper management are ineffective, disconnected, and lacking in direction. Lower managers are hired based on their willingness to kiss up. At no point will you be given the impression that you are valued, or your work appreciated, because you aren't. Employees are treated like any other piece of equipment: invest the absolute minimum to take care of it, use it until there's nothing left, then replace it as cheaply as possible.
Pros
Benefits, pension.
Cons
Uncaring, often clueless management.
Poor communication and organization
Driver/Delivery (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 November 2017
A revolving door of city dispatchers . Very poor communication betwern drivers and dispatch ( people net ) onboard computer. Need a huge shake up in management. The parent company should take a serious look at their long term managers around there. The same mistakes everyday that cost the company a lot of money. Long term managers have had ample opportunity to correct these problems if they were capable.
Pros
Pension
Cons
Poorly managed and organized
Inexperienced management team taking off in a poor direction
City P&D Route Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 May 2017
A good example of a company that was solid for years, that hit harder economic times, and then has had no real idea how to solve that besides low cost choices. Since a new management team took over, decisions are suspect and are making things difficult to thrive at when you become a long term employee.
Small work environment, Great co workers
Heavy Transport Technician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 March 2017
Typical day is comfortable, as long as your getting your work done you pretty much left alone.

Iv'e learned advanced repair techniques as parts are mostly now no longer available due to the extreme age of there fleet.

The worst managed company I have ever seen to date, Your ideas and opinions mean nothing to them, and they will do absolutely nothing for you.

Work place culture is average, the crew gets along great but, the management treats you like complete garbage, you are nothing more than an expendable number.

The shop and the equipment they work on is ancient and sometimes you are asked to perform impossible tasks due to the major lack in updated and proper tooling, Try and explain that to management and it will be immediately disregarded.

The shop floor crew is extremely welcoming and friendly, they provide a family like atmosphere, there have been some really good times working together.
Pros
Small work environment
Cons
Management blows worse than an F5 tornado
Consistent work from an ok company
Pickup and Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Fox Creek, AB14 February 2017
Wages could have been better. Year round work. My immediate bosses were excellent. The company seemed to have management challenges.
Pros
Consistent, year round employment.
Cons
Some days were really demanding physically.
Yellowknife Run was awesome
Team Drivers (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 December 2016
We really enjoyed our job at Grimshaw and especially the run to Yellowknife. We pulled Rocky Mountain Doubles.
The company has issues with getting their trucks repaired in a timely manner and in fact, that is why we lost our job. The truck we were driving was not going to make it through the winter due to poor maintenance and they did not have the capital to buy a new one so our job was moved to an owner operator.
Pros
Good wages, excellent benefits, regular days off, great dispatchers who actually care about the drivers
Cons
Union environment, poor maintenance of equipment
Grimshaw Trucking LP
Dispatch Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 November 2016
This is a company in a state of flux that does not have the support of its parent company. The transportation software used in the offices is cumbersome and is built against workflow. The company is not fairing as well as it could even in the current economy due to reliance on these ill fitting computer programs and disconnects between departments. There have been interpersonal issues arise without the backing of a strong human resources department to solve such issues. The union inside the company takes knowledge from both sides to comply correctly. The people are friendly and the building is well kept.
Pros
Clean Building, Friendly Workers, Steady Business
Cons
Long Hours, Clashing Attitudes
mentally and physically taxing environment
senior linehaul driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 October 2016
years of late loads nothing done to correct this on distant destinations this forces drivers to not take breaks other than mandated intertrip inspections outlying terminals are mad when their freight is always late which creates stress between them and drivers never ending management rotation and change results in change and constant flux with new managers always trying to leave their mark this has shown to be both a short and long term detriment on staff and the abillity of the company to retain staff and customers
Pros
modern equipment
Cons
never a good enviroment between labor and managment
how i feel about my job
Class 1 P&D driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 June 2016
I have learned a lot in the past of how to operate a truck in a safe manner, The most enjoyable part of my day is see a smile on the face of the customer when the job is done .
Enjoyable work enviornment
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 November 2015
Good place to work, people were nice, most of the managment were nice, but were not always clear with what they wanted from you.
Delivery Truck Driver
Delivery Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Fort St John, BC6 July 2015
Truck driver tasked with delivery of food, dangerous goods, oilfield supply and residential shipments. All my deliveries were on time and undamaged. I was lead hand at the shop and took over control of all operations when the manager was unavailable. Responsible to keep trucks and machinery well maintained and in good running condition.
I work with grimshaw as an unloader
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta11 February 2015
I was a nice experience with working Grimshaw Trucking but unfortunately I didn't last that long because Keyano called me up and telling me I was accepted as in a power engineer Co-op. People at Grimshaw at friendly and supportive. they will give you a chance to learn different kind of things that you were interested of.
I have seen a lot of trucking companies operate over the course of my duties. That is how I know that Grimshaw is a cut above many of them.
Peofessional Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 January 2015
Grimshaw was like my second home. I have made numerous lifelong friends there. I got along with almost everyone and can even boast of having the President of Grimshaw as a facebook friend as well as numerous others.
Over the years I have seen the company grow from a smaller company to a professional outfit who emphasize safety and training for all their employees. Trucks were maintained in top shape as soon as I would write a work order. I would not have stayed there 37 years otherwise as I am big on safety and will not drive a truck that I deem to be unsafe.
No communication between management and staff!
Truck driver (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB15 December 2014
Poor management, unsafe trucks, defective trailers, favoritism, no communication between management and staff. Manager never has time to talk, always on the phone or away from the office.
Work collegues were all very friendly and helpful. Office staff very efficient.
Pros
Fun place to work.
Cons
Poor management.
had fun
Labourer/ (Former Employee) –  canada29 September 2014
all of these comanys were grate to work for they help me understand what working safe is all about.
Wasn't a bad company
dock hand (Former Employee) –  Fort mcmurray22 August 2014
it was wasn't a bad company to work for. The People for the most Part was alright to work with most where easier to get along with then others. I have learned there to be on my Guard and Look out for dangers that cause injuries. Dealing with the stress that management would put on you even it was small. I just loved it when i was out on the road with the drivers delivering always a challenge and great way to meet new people.
Pros
did get a lot free stuff from customers while being on the road
Cons
dealing with angry customers
great place to work
Operations Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 May 2014
i loved working here...only reason i left was due to no full time hours available.

the job was great, kept me busy, co workers were great, loved helping other departments when it got slow, management was easy to approach and talk to.

the hardest part was standing on my feet all day.
great place to work lots of different things to do to keep busy.
Driver/warehouse (Former Employee) –  Yellowknife NT30 January 2013
A day there would be doing deliveries ,taking care of ware house,unloading freight
Pros
driving trucks and people that worked there
my duities
Driver (Former Employee) –  high level AB18 June 2012
- attend safety meeting
- morning checks on truck
- help unload freight
- start truck
- check in office for morning deliveries
- load truck
- deliver freight
- wash truck when needed