Greyhound Employee Reviews

I worked here as a first summer job.
Ticket Agent (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, ABMarch 31, 2015
I learned the basics of Customer Service from my mother who was a manager. I enjoyed this job although it was my first job. Working here taught me the importance of punctuality and dedication.
Pros
Working with family and customers
enjoyable
driver (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONMarch 19, 2015
plenty of fun experiences with passengers along with coworkers and the travel experience being able to drive across my country
fun workplace full of good people
Courier Express Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 27, 2015
fast paced workplace that was often under staffed but thanks to teamwork we were able to get all the work done every night
freight/tickets/busses.
Pros
hour long lunch
Cons
low number of staff at the best of times
on call 24/7, for 12 years.....
Motor Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONOctober 22, 2014
met a lot of nice people. no personal life. strains home life, and relationship. great for someone who has no ties.
Pros
great training program
Cons
on call 24/7
Amazing management
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Langley, BCSeptember 22, 2014
A typical day at work consists of helping customers with shipping and receiving their packages,selling tickets for bus trips, answering any questions customers have either by phone or in person. Extra duties like taking out garbage's when needed, also maintaining a clean lobby floor and windows. This company has taught me a lot about different customer service skills, the importance of a good work environment and who you working with. The management team at the Langley Greyhound is amazing.They are understanding, and helpful. Hardest part about the job is some of the heavier packages that come through over 50 lbs. The most enjoyable part about the job was the laid back atmosphere.
Pros
very easy going, relaxed.
Cons
not enough hours
Easily the worst company I've ever worked for.
Parts (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 26, 2014
My four biggest complaints are as follows:

1) Lowest pay in the industry. Heavy duty mechanics make at least 7$ an hour less than the industy average. Parts people make at least 10$ below the average.

2) Zero room for advancement. They will not sign blue books for mechanic or heavy duty. So if you get hired on thats the position you will have forever. Which, in my opinon, coupled with the low pay, should leave someone with zero incentive to stay with the company.

3) Horrible management and horrible union representation. Do not trust the management or the union representation. The union rep has zero issue with discussing any issues you have with everyone else in the building and consistantly uses his position as a bullying platform. Management are beyond reproach. They are insulting, condesending, racists and sexist. That's just the management in Edmonton, let alone dealing with the American side of it which is another issue.

4) Morale. I have never seen a work environment with morale this bad. It is consistantly one of the "big ticket" issues that people complain about. There are zero staff parties, zero functions for children and the management seems to enforce segregation between departements. As soon as you walk into the garage, you can feel the negativity in the air.

My only advice is, unless you are desperate for employment, do NOT work for Greyhound. If you are desperate for employment and must take the job, do not stop handing out resumes. You will find something better in time, do not give up.
Pros
easy to get hired.
Cons
horrible management, way below comparative wages, low morale, useless union representation
steady busy place to work
Freight Assistant/Driver (Former Employee) –  Whitecourt, ABAugust 11, 2014
co-workers were great to work with
shift work for morning shift
Calling to let customers know they had pkgs in
delivered and picked up packages
Bus passes, parcel pick up and send out
Bookkeeping end of day balancing
Pros
meet new customers
Cons
split shifts
•a typical day at work
Service person (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MBJune 8, 2014
The working was physically hard & more chances for rework.
But management was good and cooperative.We are together all service person .
Pros
coffee time
Cons
rework
Productive and fun
Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 27, 2014
Everyday is just another typical day at work. I've learned a lot about my co workers and how the business works. I've managed to build and fit myself in with any situation or work habit needed around the workplace. The hardest part of the job would be absolutely nothing; everything is what I've either experienced or know how to do on the spot. The most enjoyable part of the job would be working with the tools and equipment to serve for the purpose of the company.
Productive and fun workplace with basketball
baggage handler (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 22, 2014
Baggage handler Tells you about what do to your bags and he tells you about Jesus
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Job was ok. Was fortunate to have great subordinates.
Assistant Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaDecember 17, 2013
Started out as a great experience. Turned out to be a "family click" type place. Lots of longevity. Could have filmed a soap opera there.
Lifetime Career
Dock Loader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 8, 2013
Working at Greyhound requires a Quick & Flexible person, Strong but also having a Adaptable memory.
Pros
routine days
Cons
lack of hours
Poor management, worn out coaches & poor pay
Technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 13, 2013
This company used to be great to work for, now there is no teamwork or cooperation with management and the employees. When an employee does something to help a customer and management doesn't approve, they are disciplined.

The coaches are falling apart and getting parts is increasingly hard. It's just written down as okay for service. The few mechanics that care are type casted as trouble makers and end up leaving

The pay is not to industry standards and with subpar benefits it makes it increasingly difficult to support your family without getting a second job.
Pros
great employees who care about each other & the customers
Cons
management who doesn't care about customers, poor pay, poor benefits
Easy going environment
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABAugust 13, 2013
Easy going environment with very flexible hours. Really desirable shifts.
Poor morale no support from Management
Serviceman/Driver (Former Employee) –  British ColumbiaJuly 4, 2013
The worst management and poorest morale of any place I have ever worked. No support in matters of health and safety and the equipment is poortly maintained. Safety is not a priority nor is employee appreciation.
Pros
no staff parties or get togethers, not even a xmas card.
Cons
long times away from home with no pay or meals
Sharing travel experiences
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 3, 2013
As a Customer Service Representative, I had to work 12 hour shifts everyday, yet time was flying by.

Working at Ottawa bus terminal allowed me to meet new people and socialized with the regulars.

I had a great relationship with the Bus drivers, the security guard, the tickets agents and the passengers.

I was always on the move, there is always something to do, someone to talk to and even time do some paper works.
Long days, long nights, and now weekends
Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 18, 2013
As a driver I was on call for three years 365 days of the year. They can and will take you cool places some you might otherwise never see. The night drives are tough but well worth the experience.
Pros
free bus rides
Cons
free bus rides
Fun place to work
Data Entry in Accounting Department (Former Employee) –  winnipegMarch 1, 2013
I enjoyed this job alot. It was a very small department with three people doing data entry between 6 p.m. and 11:00 p.m.

It was a very easy going atmosphere for the most part, in spite of the pressure to get huge quantities of work done within the given time.

We were allowed to listen to music through out computers through headphones, and this obliterated all outside distractions and noises which helps with concentration.

We were given ample breaks even though our shift was short, and the Manager was very good.

We were all very disappointed when one night Management came in and told us that even though the Cdn. Govt. had given 4 million dollars to save the bus lines and express service, our jobs were going to be done by machine locally and the accounting processed in India.

I loved this job as it provided a good secondary wage. I am a single mom and life sometimes is tough. You know the saying, when life gets tough, the tough get going.

I would appreciate your consideration in this matter. My typing speed is really high as is my keying speed. I know Word and Excel very well.

DAR
Office/Express Agent
Accounting, Express Agent, P&D driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaFebruary 25, 2013
Did ticket auditing for the tickets sold daily by agents.
Handled freight being shipped by customers.
Taking phone calls from customers
Delivering /Picking Up Freight from Customers
challenging multitasking
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  ottawFebruary 19, 2013
working at greyhound as built me to overcome many challenges in every aspect of a work placce. my day was about answering all inquiries on departures and arrivals. I had to be available for all complaints tracking lost luggages, mark down every delayed departures, I was reponsible of preboarding un-accompanied children and taking care of their arrivals.
the hardest part of the job was the multitasking but I have learned to take control of every situation in a calm matter. I have learn to overcome every objection I have learn how to deal with 5 different situations at the same time.
the most enjoyable part of my job was the floor support and the staff
Pros
i could travel anywhere in canada for free
Cons
i worked 12 hours a day