Greyhound Employee Reviews for Bus Driver

Terrible Management
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 October 2017
Was a great job prior to first-group takeover. Constant surveillance, ride checkers, recorders, cameras in operators face. Disciplinary action for sipping water while driving.
Pros
Pay is good after 5 years
Cons
Many
Going down hill
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC25 September 2017
What started out to be a great place to work for the first fifteen years. All the guys and management were easy going and enjoyed what they were doing. Their was activities away from work sponsored by the Company and the employees that kept comrade ship up between employer and employees and made it a better place to work. The Golf and fishing tournaments, Christmas party's, and retirement parties. Then management change, the new regime started taking things apart and not caring anymore about the people who rode with us. They separated the freight from passenger service and started an internal feud.Passenger and freight service started to suffer badly. instead of trying to put it back together they started making cuts to try and show a profit and have cut their own throats through mismanagement. What a shame!
Horrible
Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 August 2017
ABSOLUTELY horrible experience. You will have no life, always away from home, and be treated like garbage by management and supervisors. Suspended for everthing without being able to defend yourself. They do not play by any rules. They're never wrong and will lie and cheat to make it seem like they are right.

The new driver hirees get paid less with no pension than the more senior drivers that were there before the change happened for the exact same work. But they'll work you harder because it's cheaper for them as it'd paid per mile driven.
Pros
Cons
16hr work days, 70 hrs week, 14 days straight, fight for your pay, pay is never right, dirty/unsafe buses, unsafe work practices, no home life, hotel sleeping, being bellitled by management
interesting and varied experiences
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC11 June 2017
on 2 hour call day and night. report and inspect bus. load passengers
manage passengers at border crossing and at rest stops.
provide as safe and as comfortable a ride as possible.

I learned how to drive manual and a large vehicle. I learn a great deal about safety and defensive driving at a professional level. I learn how to use landmarks as memory markers for navigating to various locations.

my people skills were enhanced because of the variety of people I worked with and for.

Culture was very poor. Management philosophy was to cover their butts and to catch workers doing things wrong. A culture of mistrusted on all levels.

The true pros were a joy to work with as they demonstrated that the goal was to be the best you could be.

hardest part was shift work and night runs.

day runs through the mountains in sunny weather
Pros
paid in us dollars
Cons
very long hours often with little rest between assignments
Meeting new people
Coach Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 April 2017
Loved driving the elderly to their shows and travelers to their destinations. Great conversations with many new people. The hardest part of my days would have been driving through downtown Toronto traffic.
Good place to work but stressful at times
Coach Operator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 January 2016
Greyhound is Greyhound. Very good wages compared to other bus companies. Good Benefits but job can be stressful at times since a lot of drivers are on call 24 hours a day.
Well renowned company, great equipment, great opportunities.
Motor Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg City, MB4 November 2015
Was a fun place to work for, with a very reasonable management team.

Not a good spot for a brand new driver, as most of the undesirable routes were given (Flin Flon, etc) in the dead of winter, usually hauling a full trailer weighed down with 50-100lb poorly packaged freight that was loaded at the Depot by 2-3 guys and a forklift, and taken off alone by the driver in sometimes harsh weather conditions, all the while trying to maintain your passengers and adhering to a timeline.

I found that there wasn't a lot of positive development for new drivers, instead of being viewed as the "New Fish" (Prison Terms)
Pros
Love driving the Bus, love pleasant passengers, admire a functioning structure
Cons
Too much freight, too much added stress for a driver who's responsibility should be his bus, and passengers
every day is different
bus driver (Current Employee) –  toronto4 July 2015
Every day is never the same. I never knew what route I would do until arriving at work.Sometime times overnight stays. I found management to be aloof from its drivers, being more concerned with ways to save money. My coworkers were fun to get along with.
The hardest part of my job was not having a consistent schedule and battling fatigue.
The most enjoyable part of my job was travelling to different cities and making the trip enjoyable for my passengers.
Pros
free hotels meals allowances
Cons
long hours, schedule inconsistencies.
I loved my job!
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MB1 May 2015
I truly loved driving a highway coach for a career, both with Greyhound & formerly Grey Goose. I believe I have always been happiest when behind a wheel, that combined with seeing nature at its best (&its worst) & social interaction with people made for the best job ever! So why leave? Changes affecting choices in work schedules and general down-sizing made me consider a life change.
Pros
Good pay. Not an office job!
Cons
Away from home a lot.
on call 24/7, for 12 years.....
Motor Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON22 October 2014
met a lot of nice people. no personal life. strains home life, and relationship. great for someone who has no ties.
Pros
great training program
Cons
on call 24/7
Long days, long nights, and now weekends
Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 May 2013
As a driver I was on call for three years 365 days of the year. They can and will take you cool places some you might otherwise never see. The night drives are tough but well worth the experience.
Pros
Free Bus rides
Cons
Free Bus Rides
Ultimately the best job ever!!!
Coach Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 January 2013
Greyhound was by far the best job i ever had. Traveling the country, seeing its beauty, going places i probably wouldn't have ever seen. Meeting great people, for the most part, in my experience, people on the coach are going to visit family, weddings, vacationing or just going home. The pay was amazing... i remember feeling guilty, driving the most well maintained and clean commercial vehicle ive ever had the pleasure to operate. The only downfall, for me& the reason for leaving,was too much time away from home.
Greyhound Sucks
Motor coach Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto ontario19 October 2012
I wouldn't go back to work there. I feel they discriminate and they don't treat there employee's fair.