Greyhound Employee Reviews in Canada

greyhound canada
serviemen (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 30, 2016
working night shift for 1/2 yrs with this company was hard working out said in the cold management did not treat their employee fairly always made one person work hard and other dont to the same work lode
Pros
money was good
Cons
management was not good
I liked my job because it had so many jobs under one title.
Junior Terminal Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 2, 2016
I liked my job and I was very good at it but dealing with the management and union issues was difficult at times. I dealt with customers/passengers that were upset with missing luggage or freight but when it was dealt with and they were impressed with what I had done, it made me feel good.
I had to do payroll for certain employees in the morning as well as getting information about the tracing issues that I was dealing with throughout the day. I was emailing, as well as talking, with other depot on a regular basis.
Pros
Got to deal with a variety of areas, and other people thought that I did it extremely well.
Cons
A lot of management and union issues that I did not agree with
Dying entitiy
Regional Agency Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 7, 2016
Greyhound's upper management is solely comprised of men who've been on board since their late teens/early 20's starting as baggage handlers and coach operators. Admittedly having lifers like this as a part of executive team is important as it brings context and thorough understanding of every level of operations but the lack of diversity prevents leadership from being able to approach issues with fresh eyes or being able to see things from 'outside the box'. Education levels of said upper management team is also below expected levels of executive leadership.
Worst place I have ever worked!
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABNovember 12, 2015
This is not a decent place to work whatsoever. The management team is terrible, and does nothing to prevent problems that rise between co-workers, or with customers. If an issue does occur between co-workers, whoever speaks up is publicly slandered and forced to quit due to an automatic cut in hours, behaviour from other co- workers, and the inability to do their job properly due to a manager/supervisors actions. Therefore forcing them to resign or be terminated as an excuse of "not doing their job". The manager is incredibly rude to seniors, handicapped, and the disabled, and also to his own employees. There is no employee privacy here, as he is willing to complain about and insult an employee to his other workers, as well as openly accuse a different employee of theft almost every week. There are no breaks, benefits, or possibilities for advancement. There is no security, such as cameras or methods for cash handling to prevent potential issues, nor patience for the training of new employees. And once addressed, the manager makes excuses about how these security methods would only make things worse and not better. This place has a revolving door, resulting in new employees every other week who do not stay. The only decent part about this job is the physical labour, and wage, but with the rest of the problems at hand, the pay is not worth putting yourself in physical, emotional and mental harm every time you walk onto this job site. Especially when the manager and assistant manager do not take the safety or ability of their employees seriously.
Pros
Physical labour
Cons
No breaks, benefits, security/safety, long hours
Stay away
Service Person (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 21, 2016
I worked at Greyhound for under a year. The company pays well. Management is terrible and the Co workers around you are even worse. Acouple things to consider. You'll start on nights and stay on night for a very long time I mean years. The turnover rate is fairly high with new employees which also means you'll never move up the chain. The current garage has alot of lifers so forget about advancement unless you are willing to move to another location. Get ready to pick up the slack for everyone else. You'll never get recognition for the work you do but when you do one thing wrong everyone loses their minds. I understand I job is a job if money is what you are looking for this is ok. Your social life will be non existent with days off during the week and you will be taken advantage of at every turn. This is the honest truth. 8 hours of punishment then go home. The less you talk at the hound the better.
Pros
Pay, Benifits, Going home
Cons
Co workers, management, toxic work environment
Well renowned company, great equipment, great opportunities.
Motor Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg City, MBNovember 4, 2015
Was a fun place to work for, with a very reasonable management team.

Not a good spot for a brand new driver, as most of the undesirable routes were given (Flin Flon, etc) in the dead of winter, usually hauling a full trailer weighed down with 50-100lb poorly packaged freight that was loaded at the Depot by 2-3 guys and a forklift, and taken off alone by the driver in sometimes harsh weather conditions, all the while trying to maintain your passengers and adhering to a timeline.

I found that there wasn't a lot of positive development for new drivers, instead of being viewed as the "New Fish" (Prison Terms)
Pros
Love driving the Bus, love pleasant passengers, admire a functioning structure
Cons
Too much freight, too much added stress for a driver who's responsibility should be his bus, and passengers
Never a boring day on the Job.
Ticket Agent (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCMay 23, 2016
I have learned Canadian Trips Production for ticket sales.
High level of customer service, knowing bus routes and schedules, dealing with angry/drunk customers in a professional manner, team environment, always willing to help with extra shifts when I am needed, cash control, shipping and receiving with Greyhound Courier Express when needed. I left Greyhound in 2009 when I moved. I have returned to Greyhound. (2014- present)
Pros
Great hourly pay, Free Bus Travel
Cons
Positions being cut, company downsizing jobs.
every day is different
bus driver (Current Employee) –  torontoJuly 4, 2015
Every day is never the same. I never knew what route I would do until arriving at work.Sometime times overnight stays. I found management to be aloof from its drivers, being more concerned with ways to save money. My coworkers were fun to get along with.
The hardest part of my job was not having a consistent schedule and battling fatigue.
The most enjoyable part of my job was travelling to different cities and making the trip enjoyable for my passengers.
Pros
free hotels meals allowances
Cons
long hours, schedule inconsistencies.
Good place to work but stressful at times
Coach Operator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJanuary 8, 2016
Greyhound is Greyhound. Very good wages compared to other bus companies. Good Benefits but job can be stressful at times since a lot of drivers are on call 24 hours a day.
Productive and fun
Laborer load/unlaod (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 28, 2016
Sign in, see when the departures start and re departure
Know where the luggage is headed off too
Be on your toes anything can happen
Friendly environment
Keeping track of bags and safety
Getting off from work
Pros
Some days slow
Cons
Some days busy
constantly on your feet, very friendly
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Leduc, ABFebruary 24, 2016
a typical day at work would start by a quick pre clean of the shop, placing all the shipment in the right spots and getting the new tags, Place the new orders in correct call order, and start with calls, by the time the calls are over it would be noon, Then you start all over again when the afternoon bus comes into the depo.
Pros
Free Coffee
Excellent work experience.
Counter Person and Courier Shipper (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABJune 20, 2016
Fabulous managers as well as co-workers. Always a pleasure to show up to work. Safe environment and clean work space was provided.
Enjoyable working environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 26, 2012
I use a list that ranks in priority of the task's to complete with a time scale added to act as my motivation, of course with appropriate rest periods built in to help stimulate me for other task’s, should an emergency arrive.

I have learned that to be truly effective at work, you have to manage your time well, communicate clearly, and have a good attitude. Also, make sure that you devote time towards further learning and career development. You never know how or when these new skills will pay off.

My previous managers were easy to deal with, understanding and very easy to talk to.

I had an excellent professional relationship with my co-workers, which worked quite nicely with the company environment.

Meeting really tight deadlines was the hardest part of my job.

What I found most enjoyable in my previous position was bring a smile to passengers face.
Pros
four day work week
Cons
Poor management, worn out coaches & poor pay
Technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 13, 2013
This company used to be great to work for, now there is no teamwork or cooperation with management and the employees. When an employee does something to help a customer and management doesn't approve, they are disciplined.

The coaches are falling apart and getting parts is increasingly hard. It's just written down as okay for service. The few mechanics that care are type casted as trouble makers and end up leaving

The pay is not to industry standards and with subpar benefits it makes it increasingly difficult to support your family without getting a second job.
Pros
great employees who care about each other & the customers
Cons
management who doesn't care about customers, poor pay, poor benefits
An easy job that goes nowhere
Freight Handler (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BCMay 13, 2012
I ship and recieve the freight and transfer lugage off the busses as well as clean and maintain the building and outside perimiter.
I've learned alot about the geography of Canada this way. I have also learned much about cleaning up after human traffic. My management
is a huge inspiration to leave Greyhound. I have great co-workers, knowlegable and helpful. The most challenging part of the job is haveing patience for the public. The best part of the job is the satisfaction of getting something done.
Pros
free coffee, good co-workers, easy work
Cons
no promotions, low wages
enjoyable envrionment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 19, 2015
Loved to meet and great with people allover. i have learned alot of things that i didn't know it was a very exciting workplace.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
great people to work with
Tracing Agent (Former Employee) –  coquitlamSeptember 8, 2015
This was a great place to work, the people were friendley and helpful always looked forward to going to the office.
allowed for over time and advansment.
everyday was diffrent though my job used the same skills you never know what your day would look like.
Pros
good people
Cons
far distance to travel to and from
Amazing management
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Langley, BCSeptember 22, 2014
A typical day at work consists of helping customers with shipping and receiving their packages,selling tickets for bus trips, answering any questions customers have either by phone or in person. Extra duties like taking out garbage's when needed, also maintaining a clean lobby floor and windows. This company has taught me a lot about different customer service skills, the importance of a good work environment and who you working with. The management team at the Langley Greyhound is amazing.They are understanding, and helpful. Hardest part about the job is some of the heavier packages that come through over 50 lbs. The most enjoyable part about the job was the laid back atmosphere.
Pros
very easy going, relaxed.
Cons
not enough hours
Fun place to work
Data Entry in Accounting Department (Former Employee) –  winnipegMarch 1, 2013
I enjoyed this job alot. It was a very small department with three people doing data entry between 6 p.m. and 11:00 p.m.

It was a very easy going atmosphere for the most part, in spite of the pressure to get huge quantities of work done within the given time.

We were allowed to listen to music through out computers through headphones, and this obliterated all outside distractions and noises which helps with concentration.

We were given ample breaks even though our shift was short, and the Manager was very good.

We were all very disappointed when one night Management came in and told us that even though the Cdn. Govt. had given 4 million dollars to save the bus lines and express service, our jobs were going to be done by machine locally and the accounting processed in India.

I loved this job as it provided a good secondary wage. I am a single mom and life sometimes is tough. You know the saying, when life gets tough, the tough get going.

I would appreciate your consideration in this matter. My typing speed is really high as is my keying speed. I know Word and Excel very well.

DAR
Great Experience, Fantastic People
Ops Manager (Courier Express & Passenger Services) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaMay 23, 2015
Returned to the Company from BC to AB following an entrepreneurial phase. Advanced rapidly to Ops Mgr position. Active agenda, support was necessary and present. Interaction including customer relations, manager and unionized employees.
The "people" are what make the Company!