Greyhound Employee Reviews

Stay away
Service Person (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 April 2016
I worked at Greyhound for under a year. The company pays well. Management is terrible and the Co workers around you are even worse. Acouple things to consider. You'll start on nights and stay on night for a very long time I mean years. The turnover rate is fairly high with new employees which also means you'll never move up the chain. The current garage has alot of lifers so forget about advancement unless you are willing to move to another location. Get ready to pick up the slack for everyone else. You'll never get recognition for the work you do but when you do one thing wrong everyone loses their minds. I understand I job is a job if money is what you are looking for this is ok. Your social life will be non existent with days off during the week and you will be taken advantage of at every turn. This is the honest truth. 8 hours of punishment then go home. The less you talk at the hound the better.
Pros
Pay, Benifits, Going home
Cons
Co workers, management, toxic work environment
A fun laid back work environment
Front Desk Agent (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC11 July 2016
A typical day at work would be shelving freight, data entering and phoning customers to let them know their packages are there.

What I have learned is more patience.

Management has a lot to deal with. If things don't go right for the customers, we are the people that have to handle the situations. Even if what happened was not our fault. We are the faces at the front desk.

The office I am currently working at is just a small office. There was only my boss and I. The only time there were other people hired was at Christmas time when it got busier.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with customers that were not happy and needed to blame someone. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the customers that were happy that you could help them.
Pros
Laid back
Cons
Not enough hours
CSR not vauled.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 October 2016
Long hours. Not paid enough. Drivers are great. Never a dull minute working at the bus terminal. As the customer service agent you must do everything.
greyhound canada
serviemen (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 March 2016
working night shift for 1/2 yrs with this company was hard working out said in the cold management did not treat their employee fairly always made one person work hard and other dont to the same work lode
Pros
money was good
Cons
management was not good
Boo that's all I can say. Your shifts suck and its like working in a zoo with no bars
Dock Loader (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ab2 November 2016
Hard to get on full time no matter how hard u work. When u start u get the worst shifts with turn arounds of only 3 hours. So your family life suffers. Cheap cheap cheap. The only thing good was an hour lunch break.
Pros
Long lunch
Cons
I liked my job because it had so many jobs under one title.
Junior Terminal Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 March 2016
I liked my job and I was very good at it but dealing with the management and union issues was difficult at times. I dealt with customers/passengers that were upset with missing luggage or freight but when it was dealt with and they were impressed with what I had done, it made me feel good.
I had to do payroll for certain employees in the morning as well as getting information about the tracing issues that I was dealing with throughout the day. I was emailing, as well as talking, with other depot on a regular basis.
Pros
Got to deal with a variety of areas, and other people thought that I did it extremely well.
Cons
A lot of management and union issues that I did not agree with
Horrible horrible place to work
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 July 2016
I worked as driver for about a year ...I was screwed over for pay many times ...missing up to 600 a pay cheque..the peice of sh#@ who did pay roll in toronto basically would steal from you ever chance she got....I even heard a driver got so upset he punched her in the face I worked 70 hours a week I could barely eat I lost my apt and my car I was on call 24/7 and was exhausted all the time I dealt with severe depression while working here by far the worst employer in Canada
Pros
Cons
To many to list
Dying entitiy
Regional Agency Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 February 2016
Greyhound's upper management is solely comprised of men who've been on board since their late teens/early 20's starting as baggage handlers and coach operators. Admittedly having lifers like this as a part of executive team is important as it brings context and thorough understanding of every level of operations but the lack of diversity prevents leadership from being able to approach issues with fresh eyes or being able to see things from 'outside the box'. Education levels of said upper management team is also below expected levels of executive leadership.
Never a boring day on the Job.
Ticket Agent (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC23 May 2016
I have learned Canadian Trips Production for ticket sales.
High level of customer service, knowing bus routes and schedules, dealing with angry/drunk customers in a professional manner, team environment, always willing to help with extra shifts when I am needed, cash control, shipping and receiving with Greyhound Courier Express when needed. I left Greyhound in 2009 when I moved. I have returned to Greyhound. (2014- present)
Pros
Great hourly pay, Free Bus Travel
Cons
Positions being cut, company downsizing jobs.
Worst place I have ever worked!
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB12 November 2015
This is not a decent place to work whatsoever. The management team is terrible, and does nothing to prevent problems that rise between co-workers, or with customers. If an issue does occur between co-workers, whoever speaks up is publicly slandered and forced to quit due to an automatic cut in hours, behaviour from other co- workers, and the inability to do their job properly due to a manager/supervisors actions. Therefore forcing them to resign or be terminated as an excuse of "not doing their job". The manager is incredibly rude to seniors, handicapped, and the disabled, and also to his own employees. There is no employee privacy here, as he is willing to complain about and insult an employee to his other workers, as well as openly accuse a different employee of theft almost every week. There are no breaks, benefits, or possibilities for advancement. There is no security, such as cameras or methods for cash handling to prevent potential issues, nor patience for the training of new employees. And once addressed, the manager makes excuses about how these security methods would only make things worse and not better. This place has a revolving door, resulting in new employees every other week who do not stay. The only decent part about this job is the physical labour, and wage, but with the rest of the problems at hand, the pay is not worth putting yourself in physical, emotional and mental harm every time you walk onto this job site. Especially when the manager and assistant manager do not take the safety or ability of their employees seriously.
Pros
Physical labour
Cons
No breaks, benefits, security/safety, long hours
An interesting place to work.
Assistant Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON11 July 2016
You meet a great variety of people who are looking for assistance in getting to their destinations or just answers to questions.
I've learned to be a better listener and more empathetic in my approach to the customer.
Well renowned company, great equipment, great opportunities.
Motor Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg City, MB4 November 2015
Was a fun place to work for, with a very reasonable management team.

Not a good spot for a brand new driver, as most of the undesirable routes were given (Flin Flon, etc) in the dead of winter, usually hauling a full trailer weighed down with 50-100lb poorly packaged freight that was loaded at the Depot by 2-3 guys and a forklift, and taken off alone by the driver in sometimes harsh weather conditions, all the while trying to maintain your passengers and adhering to a timeline.

I found that there wasn't a lot of positive development for new drivers, instead of being viewed as the "New Fish" (Prison Terms)
Pros
Love driving the Bus, love pleasant passengers, admire a functioning structure
Cons
Too much freight, too much added stress for a driver who's responsibility should be his bus, and passengers
every day is different
bus driver (Current Employee) –  toronto4 July 2015
Every day is never the same. I never knew what route I would do until arriving at work.Sometime times overnight stays. I found management to be aloof from its drivers, being more concerned with ways to save money. My coworkers were fun to get along with.
The hardest part of my job was not having a consistent schedule and battling fatigue.
The most enjoyable part of my job was travelling to different cities and making the trip enjoyable for my passengers.
Pros
free hotels meals allowances
Cons
long hours, schedule inconsistencies.
Productive and fun
Laborer load/unlaod (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 May 2016
Sign in, see when the departures start and re departure
Know where the luggage is headed off too
Be on your toes anything can happen
Friendly environment
Keeping track of bags and safety
Getting off from work
Pros
Some days slow
Cons
Some days busy
Excellent work experience.
Counter Person and Courier Shipper (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB20 June 2016
Fabulous managers as well as co-workers. Always a pleasure to show up to work. Safe environment and clean work space was provided.
Enjoyable working environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 December 2012
I use a list that ranks in priority of the task's to complete with a time scale added to act as my motivation, of course with appropriate rest periods built in to help stimulate me for other task’s, should an emergency arrive.

I have learned that to be truly effective at work, you have to manage your time well, communicate clearly, and have a good attitude. Also, make sure that you devote time towards further learning and career development. You never know how or when these new skills will pay off.

My previous managers were easy to deal with, understanding and very easy to talk to.

I had an excellent professional relationship with my co-workers, which worked quite nicely with the company environment.

Meeting really tight deadlines was the hardest part of my job.

What I found most enjoyable in my previous position was bring a smile to passengers face.
Pros
four day work week
Cons
Poor management, worn out coaches & poor pay
Technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 September 2013
This company used to be great to work for, now there is no teamwork or cooperation with management and the employees. When an employee does something to help a customer and management doesn't approve, they are disciplined.

The coaches are falling apart and getting parts is increasingly hard. It's just written down as okay for service. The few mechanics that care are type casted as trouble makers and end up leaving

The pay is not to industry standards and with subpar benefits it makes it increasingly difficult to support your family without getting a second job.
Pros
Great employees who care about each other & the customers
Cons
Management who doesn't care about customers, poor pay, poor benefits
An easy job that goes nowhere
Freight Handler (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC13 May 2012
I ship and recieve the freight and transfer lugage off the busses as well as clean and maintain the building and outside perimiter.
I've learned alot about the geography of Canada this way. I have also learned much about cleaning up after human traffic. My management
is a huge inspiration to leave Greyhound. I have great co-workers, knowlegable and helpful. The most challenging part of the job is haveing patience for the public. The best part of the job is the satisfaction of getting something done.
Pros
free coffee, good co-workers, easy work
Cons
no promotions, low wages
Good place to work but stressful at times
Coach Operator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 January 2016
Greyhound is Greyhound. Very good wages compared to other bus companies. Good Benefits but job can be stressful at times since a lot of drivers are on call 24 hours a day.
constantly on your feet, very friendly
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB24 February 2016
a typical day at work would start by a quick pre clean of the shop, placing all the shipment in the right spots and getting the new tags, Place the new orders in correct call order, and start with calls, by the time the calls are over it would be noon, Then you start all over again when the afternoon bus comes into the depo.
Pros
Free Coffee