PHP Developer – Job Description
GreenPatch Capital Inc. (‘GreenPatch’) is a private company that specializes in financing and developing new business ideas. One such business opportunity which GreenPatch is currently pursuing is the development of a new wed-based social networking platform. For confidentiality reasons, the new social networking platform is herein referred to as NewSocNet (or the ‘Project’) and the company under which NewSocNet is being developed is herein referred to as NewWebCo (or the ‘Company’).
NewWebCo is looking for an experienced PHP web developer to join its development team on a part-time, ‘sweat-equity’ basis. Accordingly, the successful candidate will have other means of supporting him/herself and will work for NewWebCo because he/she strongly believes in the NewSocNet concept. NewWebCo is looking for a work commitment from the candidate of no less than eighty hours per month.
Because the NewSocNet is in its infancy, the ideal candidate is someone who has had hands on experience in developing a commercial website from start to finish. The candidate will be a responsible, self-motivated individual able to work: (a) independently to develop components of the Project and (b) as an active team member working in a collaborative environment, to help prioritize development tasks and shape the NewSocNet’s overall user experience.
What You Will Do?
The successful candidate may be responsible for any or all of the following:
- Develop functionality and components of the Project
- Troubleshoot problems
- Database design and maintenance
- Assist in prioritizing development tasks
- Assist in defining the user experience
- Document new and changed functionality and improvements
- Take ‘best practices’ approach to all development and design efforts
- Apply rigorous testing methodologies and analyse and verify new and changed components
- Work both individually and in a dynamic team environment
- Investigate and resolve reported issues
- Analyse website analytics to guide design and framework of content and functionality
- Manage content and functionality of all public facing web channels
- Expertise in frontend technologies (HTML5, CSS3, jQuery, Bootstrap, responsive grid and layout design)
- Expertise in MySQL (4+ years experience)
- Expertise with PHP 5.x and familiarity with the Symfony PHP framework (v2.x)
- Expertise with EC2 and developing for and deploying on cloud hosts
- Experienced with SEO and monitoring website analytics
- Above average knowledge of Object Oriented Design Principles
- Experience with unit testing and/or test automation
- Experience in utilizing best practices with technologies
- Strong ability to troubleshoot and isolate issues
Good Skills to Have
- Experience in version control software such as GIT
- Experience in one or more other scripting languages (Ruby, Python, Perl, Node.js)
- Experience in working with Linux systems via terminal interface
Qualities of the Successful Candidate
- Must live in the area and be able to attend meetings as necessary
- Experienced web developer
- Problem solver
- Creative thinker
- Precise, resourceful and well-organized
- Strong work ethic
- Inquisitive mind
- Familiar with popular web-based platforms
- Flair for design/aesthetics
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Understands that less is more
- Comfortable and effective under pressure
- Comfortable working in a dynamic environment
The successful candidate will report to the Chief Technology Officer
Sweat for ground floor Company equity.
How to Apply
If you possess the skills/qualities outlined above, are willing to work for equity and believe you would be a great fit and thrive in a nascent company, then we want to hear from you!
To apply please send us an email with your resume, cover letter and why you feel you are a good fit for NewWebCo. Please make sure you place the word ‘NewSocNet’ in the subject line of your email.
We thank all candidates for applying, but only short listed candidates will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in NewWebCo!