ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION CONTRACTOR
Green Calgary is seeking applications from qualified candidates interested in delivering environmental education programs to students in schools and community organizations within Calgary.
Green Calgary currently provides two environmental education programs:
Water for Life is a fun and interactive program intended to help students understand water as a precious and essential resource to be protected in their community. This program specifically addresses the “Exploring Liquids” section of the Grade 2 Science curriculum.
- Waste in Our World (Grade 4)
In the Waste in Our World workshop students learn how landfills are constructed by actually building their own in a way that protects the surrounding environment. Students then think about how they can help divert waste from the landfill.
The Water for Life and Waste in Our World workshops are one-hour in length and are delivered in-class at schools or community events. These programs are well-developed and the contractor would be provided with training, the opportunity to job shadow and background information to review.
This position is intended to help meet the increasing demand for Green Calgary education programs. The contractor also provides input into development of new programs. In addition to delivery of the education programs, the education contractor may be involved with promotion of Green Calgary at various community events.
The contractor’s responsibilities would include:
- Attend training and shadowing sessions of the programs with the education coordinator.
- Deliver Green Calgary’s education programs in classrooms or at community events.
- Work with Green Calgary volunteers and parent volunteers during workshops.
- Liaise closely with the education coordinator to report feedback from clients, needs for restocking of supplies and scheduling of programs.
- Assist with program development, revisions and improvements.
- Assist with promotion of Green Calgary’s programs at events such as the Calgary City Teacher’s Convention, Calgary Horticultural Society Garden Show, Calgary Public Library Ecopalooza Fair and Mayor’s Environmental Expo.
- Education related to teaching, environmental studies, natural science, conservation or biology.
- Experience working with children or youth.
- A good understanding and interest of environmental issues in general, and issues related to water, waste, energy and air in particular.
- Skills in public speaking and a high level of comfort in delivering presentations.
- Skills in facilitation, public relations, customer service and organization.
- Access to a reliable vehicle.
EMPLOYMENT TYPE & TERM:
This position is a part-time contract commencing in January 2013 and continuing until June 2013, with the possibility of an extension based on demand. Although a set number of hours per week cannot be guaranteed as the contract is based on the demand for workshops, the contractor should be available at least 3 days per week to allow for some flexibility in scheduling.
Most programs are scheduled between 8am and 4pm Monday to Friday, but some evening or weekend work will be required for special events or requests from community groups. The maximum number of programs the contractor would be expected to deliver in one day is four.
Compensation rates for the contractor for providing these services are anticipated to be $60 per workshop. Costs associated with mileage, travel time and time for equipment set-up is included in this flat rate amount.
Compensation for assisting during special events would be at a rate of $20 per hour.
Green Calgary is a dynamic, non-profit urban environmental organization with a mission to empower Calgarians to create healthy homes and communities through environmental education, products and services. Since 1978 Green Calgary has sought to address a range of pressing urban environmental issues including pollution, waste management and resource conservation. As the nature and understanding of these and other issues has evolved over the years, so too has Green Calgary’s focus, programs and approach. In addition to providing information and raising awareness, our organization strives to provide the specific tools and resources that empower individuals and groups to make positive environmental changes.
Closing date: 5:00pm, Friday December 21, 2012.
Send responses to: hr (at) greencalgary.org with the subject “Environmental Education Contractor”
Responses should include a letter of interest and resume.
Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted in early January 2013.