Great Wolf Lodge Employee Reviews

Horrible place to work.
Front desk agent (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONFebruary 29, 2016
I worked there for just under 3 years in Guest Services and I can honestly say I hated at least 2 of them. Everything was great in the beginning. Everyone was super welcoming and friendly. They really try to sell you on the idea that they care about their employees which is a load of bull. The management really plays favorites, and if they don't like you they make sure you know it. They will lie right to your face, and you have ZERO job security there. I'm not sure if it's the same with all departments but in that particular department the staff was DISGUSTINGLY underpaid for the amount of work that was expected. They have implemented a new raise policy, but they make it near impossible to qualify for it. And if you do expect to be our the door because they clearly don't want to pay their staff anymore than they have to. About a month or so after I received my raise I was let go of due to "incompetence". After 3 years I was no longer competant enough to do my job? Riiiiiiight. Not to mention you can kiss any sort of a social life goodbye once you sign your life away to them. You will eat, sleep and breathe this place. It's funny their motto is "we make time for your family", except for their employees families, clearly. And expect to be HOUNDED to pick up shifts om your days off, and if you don't then be prepared to be reemed out for it. Also, forget about asking for time off cause you'll almost never get it. Even if you're part time you're treated like a full time worker, but you know, minus the decent pay and benefits. I'm not sure if all locations are like this, but I would  more... tell anyone to STEER CLEAR OF THIS PLACE AT ALL COSTS.  less
Pros
Made awesome friends working there.
Cons
Way too many to list.
Amazing Environment
Water Park Attendant (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONAugust 15, 2016
-Typical day at work would meet, great and HOWL! Make sure everyone is comfortable and having fun but also following safety guidelines.
-I learned that you can do you job and keep everyone safe but also have a lot of fun doing it.
-Management is great they make sure to keep you on your toes, and make sure you know what you are doing.
-Co-workers have a ton of energy and it transfers to you making the environment fun and gives the a family feeling.
-Hardest part would be trying not to constantly howl.
-Most enjoyable part was for sure the howling and going down slides every now and then.
Pros
Howls, going down slides every now and then
Busy Workplace, Lots of Angry Tourists
Aquatics - Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONApril 10, 2016
Awful experience with this company. I worked there for three years and my department manager had no idea what my name was. Guards receive constant harassment from management and supervisors. Little to no bathroom breaks. Long shifts spent standing and walking (8+ hours a day, all spent standing and walking sometimes up to 10km a day.)
Pros
Friendly Fellow Employees, Free Waterpark Passes
Cons
Bad Management, Bad Supervisors, Expected To Walk 10km + A Day, Minimum/ No Bathroom Breaks
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONAugust 25, 2016
Management was good, but not very considerate when it came to booking time off. Was a good job for gaining customer experience.
Pros
free buffet food
Cons
rude tourists
House Keeping (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONJune 9, 2016
Nice Place to work. Friendly environment and friendly supervisors. Fun place to work that provides many benefits for the people that work there
Water Park Attendant (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONApril 19, 2016
 Ensured that clients were supplied all services and amenities
 Maintained consistent sanitary and aesthetic conditions in facilities
Pros
Good team to work
Cons
Salary
Great job and team
Retail and Attractions Manager (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONNovember 29, 2015
great place to work, fun atmosphere and managers at department level try to make workplace fun and productive. workplace is busy consistently and you work year round which makes it difficult to balance social and work life
Sloppy Workplace with no employee appreciation.
Guest Services Agent (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VASeptember 10, 2015
Management is petty and childish. The Lodge would be a better place if they had different managers. From the employee relations team to the different department managers are all biased and there is a slight indication of Racism as they do not promote anyone of color to Department Directors regardless of tenacity and years of experience.
Pros
looks good on a resume
Cons
Underappreciated is the biggest Con. Treated like a number and not an individual.
Did more harm than good
Cub Club Attendent (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONJuly 2, 2016
Working at great wolf lodge was pretty absurd. You would get called off of your shift 1 hour before the shift (which sucks if you live further away because you're already ready to go and then they call you off). There is absolutely no guarentee about the hours they are going to give you because half of your shifts get called off anyways. It looks like you're getting hours, then they take them all away.

Management is a joke. They lie and pick favorites. You'd think that managers of such a large company would realize that people sucking up to them and buying them gifts and socializing with them doesn't mean that they are productive workers. Worked with some of the laziest people I have ever met. Picked up their slack and they got all the credit of course.

Employees in this department are extremely fake. They make little cliques with each other and then talk to people to get information from them, and then talk about them behind their backs. Super two-faced. There could be bullying in the work place and management would do nothing about it. Ridiculous.

The mascot costumes were extremely unsanitary and unsafe. Simply spraying the costume after use is probably not disinfecting it at all. Makes sense why peoples faces would break out. Employees would let children climb on people in the costumes and people are required to stand in these costumes for long periods of time. Not the best idea for someones health, especially when they are forced to be outside in the summer in them.

It makes a good first job for the first few months, and then you realized how ridiculous everything
  more... about it is. It might look good on a resume but the negative effects that this job had on me (like going home from work crying after more than half of my shifts) is not what a job should be like.  less
Pros
Looks good on a resume
Cons
Management, hours, how you are treated, health and safety
Productive positive work place :)
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONFebruary 2, 2016
Great Wolf Lodge is by far the best job I have ever had. Very positive place of employment. The staff had great team skills and worked as one. :)
was there for four years and had to ask everyday for benifits and never got them
Cook (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONFebruary 25, 2013
management sucks,hr thinks their a union and works agains you more than with you when complaining about a manager or other staff . i was there for 4 yrs and never got benifits got my raises after fighting for them. easy to change departments if requested and applyed for
Pros
full time hours
Cons
low pay and no benifits they will say their at their quota.
Great start for first job.
Arcade Lead (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONMarch 24, 2013
Since working at Great Wolf Lodge I have learned a lot of the hospitality industry and how all departments have to work together as well as the day and night shifts.

An average day for me in the arcade would include gathering tokens from 100 games, ensuring each game has a proper amount of tickets. Assisting guests exchanging tickets for prizes at our redemption counter which at times can get extremely busy, and at times do small maintenance work on our games if a guest has a problem or if we noticed an issue.

The management I find is different throughout each department, each with their own issues and strongpoints.

The hardest part of the job for me was the lack of advancement possibilities. Focusing on labour, usually each department has 1 director, 1 manager , and about 2-3 supervisors at the most, and with most not leaving it is discouraging.

The most enjoyable part of my job are the people, whether it be co-workers or guests seeing each of them and making sure guests have a smile when leaving makes it worth while.
Pros
discount rates, once a month waterpark privilege .
Cons
no included lunches, no overtime.
terrible pay
Cash room (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, OnJanuary 6, 2015
I accepted a job in the cash room. I was in charge of counting all cashiers floats for the outlets, stocking up ATM's with cash, and soley responsible for a couple hundred thousand dollars daily. All for was $12.50 an hour. Shocked at the amount of responsibility for that rate of pay. Should have been $16-18 an hour. I worked less than 2 weeks and quit. I let them know how I felt about the wages for the position. Its an insulting rate of pay, especially after knowing a 2 day stay for a family of 4 costs $1300. They seem to genuinely care about customers, but not staff. Good first job for teenagers.
Pros
none as an employee unless maybe you're management
Cons
rate of pay, hyper kids everywhere
Housekeeping Room Attendant
Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONAugust 27, 2014
Overall a disappointing experience, the management is very unfair at times and definetly play favourites.They do not look out for their employees or their best intrests. In terms of co-workers their is a lot of good people you get to work with! All of the room attendants are welcoming and warm. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the unfair management and strict rules. If the management treated the employees the way the treated the guests the would have a lot more success in keeping people on their staff. Many managers use their power too their advantage and treat lower employees like dirt.
Fun environment
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, OntarioOctober 6, 2015
Very fast paced energetic work environment, great place to be if you like kids. At Great Wolf we try our best to provide immaculate guest service to ensure happy repeat customers! or as we like to call them, "loyal wolves" !
Pros
they provide lunch
Cons
poor hours
Aquired CPR, Life Saving and First Aid
lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONOctober 2, 2015
Learned a lot about life saving, A very strict job, Zero tolerance. I met a lot of great co workers there and are still friends with most of them.
Good Work Place
Water Park Attendant (Current Employee) –  AquaticsSeptember 8, 2015
Comfortable and always welcoming. Very flexible with hours and time off requests. Always looking to help employees and show appreciation towards employees
Read these reviews carefully and think there is truth to them
Retail (Former Employee) –  Niagara FallsJanuary 21, 2014
I read the review before I applied for the job I did. And I wish I took the truth from what they said. I had been a guest numerous times I had a huge passion for the place. I was ideal to be working there as being a guest I know how to treat others.

This place runs on seniority and not job performance. Typical retail environment where people are nice to your face *those that even bother to acknowledge you* and talk behind your back. Preference is of course given to their friends they socialize with after work.

This job in itself was easy for me, great to talk to the guests, given responsibility right away which was great but when you are told you will be working a couple days, and a couple of evenings, and occasional and that in turn actually means you will be working every night, and every weekend. And told to suck it up it is what it is, well for a minimum wage job not worth the perks of a water park pass when its not busy and the discounts. Not even for me.

Told to put the lodge first above my family and I find that ironic bc it is a family place, and yet they treat their employees poorly. Would not work there, and will not stay there. I can now understand when I would visit the place why people looked so miserable.
Pros
the guests who were friendly, the kids so happy
Cons
as always management, lie about the hours
Productive fun workplace
Room Attendant (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONSeptember 26, 2013
A typical day at work would be to start by getting your list of rooms, having per-shift, going up to your floor getting your cart stocked and ready for the day. Then starting any rooms that were available, throughout the day depending on how your day went you may have to help others or receive help from others. How to be adaptable, and how to be a team player. I enjoyed my co-workers and interacted very well with them. Dealing with the occasional rude and ignorant guest. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing all the happy kids and positive messages left from customers who were satisfied with the quality of service they received.
Pros
made a lot of new friends.
Cons
physically demanding.
good
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONJune 13, 2015
i liked to work there it was an ok place to work for

I liked my co-workers they were good people

you should work there

I liked the lunches they had in the lunch machine

Great Wolf Lodge Reviews by Location