Great West Employee Reviews

A diverse multiculture and a productive company to work with
IT Security Analyst (ISO) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, Manitoba30 October 2013
A typical day at work is managing major security incidents for specific sites by actively monitoring vulnerabilities and exploits and taking appropriate decision in a timely manner. Provide professional security expertise to business, I.S. management and technology by conducting security vulnerability and risk assessment and identifying security solutions. Work with complex issues and investigations where a variety of specialized techniques and methods are applied and may not be always standardized and prescribed.
I have learned a lot about the industry infrastructure and specially the culture. I have provided guidance and training to some I.S. staff in and out of our department.
We have a healthy relationship in the ISO and we have a lot of respect with each other.
Their are a few challenges/tasks that I have encountered and one of those is by creating the EDIR security database structure and web application from ground up.
The most enjoyable part of the job are the challenges, complexity and entirety as a whole,
Pros
ISO Officers and Security Analyst meetings and discussions
Cons
Long hours of extra work in security site development
Engaging and fun environment
Sr. Client Service Assistant, Employee Benefits (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 October 2013
Every day at work goes by quickly. The continuing education benefits are great, I have taken a number of courses and also earned a designation while working for this company. It is great to be surrounded by co-workers that have been with the company for most of their career.
Good workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  winnipeg, mb30 September 2013
Duties include the handling of client calls in a polite, professional and timely manner. As well as the knowledge to give out correct benefit coverage information on a variety of products and services, in order to answer client questions correctly, every time, the first time. Having a pleasant tone of voice is also very important in managing customer experiences, and making sure the clients are fully satisfied with the level of assistance they received. Through working in such an environment, I have developed a sense of patience that I have carried forward from the workplace into my personal life.
Poor management, no room for advancement, poor salary structure
Group Benefits (Former Employee) –  Toronto28 September 2013
Worst company in terms of employee appreciation. Most reports generated are false and deceiving. Worst Manager and Supervisors because they don't know the real ethics and technicalities of the work on the floor.
Pros
Meeting friends amidst the very stressful work environment
Cons
Imagine buying your own supply of water and hand sanitizers inspite of the low salary.
Great company with sound reputation
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 September 2013
People are happy working there. Employees were encouraged to find and solve problems on their own. Fun environment with high efficiency.
Great West Life was a little fish swimming in a big Insurance pond
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto,ON17 September 2013
Great West Life is a great company however was very rigid with the employees ( limited flexibility with work/life consideration) .
I had to sign on at 9:00am promptly I could not deviate by one second. however if the call should exceed 5:00 pm there was no compensation or appreciation for the extra time unless the call exceeded 20 minutes.
The Verbiage was so rigid that I was dinged for saying have a nice day instead of a solid good by at the end of the call.
I was shocked that they adapted to a very cold uncaring manner on a call rather then a friendly caring manner. .
I felt that after working for Sun Life financial I could not stop comparing the two companies and felt that Great West Life was a very little fish swimming in a very big Insurance pond and could not match to the level of professionalism Sun Life Financial offered.
Management was not supportive of the employees never gave us the
benefit of the doubt.
I was accused of hanging up on a caller when that was not the case I searched and found PROOF to the contrary and when the proof was provided I did not receive the apology I was awarded.
They have a week training team and Managers.
My co-workers were friendly and worked with their heads down low to keep out of managements radar.
I didn't like the way the people where treated there.
The best part of the job was the pleasant co-workers( excluding
management) people felt very depreciated in this company.
Pros
The best part of the job was the pleasant co-workers( excluding
Cons
people (I) felt very depreciated in this company.
Challenging work in a team environment
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 September 2013
Training was the best part of the company. They did their best to ensure that the employees were trained and prepared for the work ahead. The work was challenging and could be rewarding. The workload could be a challenge at times
Pros
Training
Cons
Workload
Great work environment with emphasis on respectful treatment of employees and encouragement for professional development. Excellent!!!!
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 June 2013
I was employed by Great West Life, Disability Division on a term assignment through Diversified Staffing. Although my position was of an Administrative support nature, I was treated with thorough respect and professionalism by the Case Managers and Management. I was treated as if I were a permanent employee from my first day and was made to feel as I were an integral part of the team. Even though it was a relatively fast paced work environment, there was always time for a smile and a little fun.

A True Review of GWL
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 April 2013
A typical day at work involved being isolated at a computer, in a cubicle, doing highly repetitive work. As a Claims Processor you are given sufficient training, however the practice time is not enough before you hit the floor. The computer systems are out of date, therefore searching for information is tedious which increases the chance of mistakes.
I found the management condescending and witnessed a lot of passive aggressive talking down to employees who were not deemed "super stars". There is a quota to meet and quality expectations which reflect on your team, so they are constantly having meetings about your performance. This would be acceptable except for the weekly meeting in which they hand you a quality certificate ceremoniously in front of your other teammates, much in the same way a mother would give her favorite child a treat. I'm sure it's suppose to be positive but it feels demeaning and embarrassing.
If you are okay with repetitive, uninspiring work and like to work alone than this job is okay. The job itself is much like working in a factory but with the front of a professional environment. The pay is average, but with all the deductions they rope you into, including their pricey insurance, which you can only opt out of during the month of May (unfortunate if you start after that), you end up making significantly less than your wage (approx $2/hr). Also you are not paid for your 1/2 hr of lunch and are expected to come in and make up time missed from Dr.'s appt's etc. (no big deal, just something to consider).
The main building is beautiful and they take you
  more... for a tour of the restaurant (5 star chef), gym (brand new, cheap but not free membership), Tim Hortons, art gallery, nurses station, and solarium on the first day. After the tour of the beautiful facilities (which house management and upper administrative offices), they ship you off to their satellite location downtown which is only accessible by bus as parking is too expensive. Thus, by the time you finish work (8 hrs/more if you take OT), you must take two buses to get to the main building. Most people never see the main building, or the beautiful amenities that are housed there, after the first day.
I was surprised to see so many positive reviews of this company on Indeed and suspect that they must have been written by people with higher level jobs or by HR themselves.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the clean and well maintained building and the training staff. The main building would have been nice if I would have had time to access it.
Pros
clean and professional environment.
Cons
patronizing management, low pay, factory like conditions, uninspiring work, company is stingy/tight pocketed.
Administrative Coordinator
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, ON12 February 2013
• Contract position with The People Bank
• Process paper work for clients by filling out forms for various registered plans, segregated and mutual funds keep all paper work up to date
• Provide excellent customer service by taking calls from clients and advisors and solve their problems on phone and in person when they visit the advisor. Meet with the clients to discuss their basic needs before they see the advisor.
• Set up appointments for clients so they can meet Financial Advisor and discuss their financial situations and make further investments and print downloads.
• Use various softwares to access mutual funds and investments for clients, switch and transfer various accounts for clients on their request
• Distribution of mail and filing all the clients’ statements on regular basis
• Worked on Know Your Client (KYC) re-review organized by London Life and audit files for the project
Pros
free lunches
Cons
no permanent position

Want to know more about Great West?

Ask a question
Objectid oriented attitude
Spécialiste de gestion de Configuration (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg4 January 2013
good management
friendly, helpful co-workers
overall enjoyable job task, including problem solving
good job
Claims Examiner (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK3 January 2013
I feel that working at Great West Life is a good job. The pay is good, and the work is constant. The benefits are excellent.
I would process claims either in paper or electronically. There is a lot of reading involved as every company has different types of policies. I would read the policy and compare the information in the claim and assess it accordingly. The supervisors are good. The co-workers are friendly. Generally, you work independently so there isn't any teamwork necessary for my position. The hardest part of the job is to be as accurate and as fast as you can be. The most enjoyable part of the job is freedom to work independently.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
parking
Great atmosphere, safe and wonderful management
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 December 2012
Great-West Life is probably one of the best companies that I have ever worked for. The employees are treated with respect and compensated well. The physical structure of the building is strategically located, and the surrounding atmosphere is very welcoming. You are truly going to be a proud employee of this company.
Pros
great working condition
Cons
parking downtown is difficult to secure if you are new, the in-house parking is by seniority.
Productive and supportive environment
Claims Processor (Data Entry, term) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg27 September 2012
A typical day involved sorting of claims and data entry.
I learned about insurance benefits, and medical and dental coverage
Management was supportive and very hands on when it came to helping employees excel and in creating a stress free envioronment
Coworkers were outgoing and friendly
The hardest part of the job was the monotonous nature of the work
The most enjoyable part of the job was the sense of accomplishment
Pros
lots of room for advancement, low stress environment
Cons
the monotonous nature of the work
Great Company
Senior Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS26 July 2012
Worked over 17 years, advancement was good, pay could have been better. Not unionized or covered by workers comp. Management changed alot due to production numbers with sales. Coworkers were great. Hardest part of job was changing as the industry changed. Enjoyed helping my clients who appreciated all I did for them. Miss this job alot.
Pros
travel throughout ns
Cons
you had to work hard to get advancement.
Very accomodating and fun loving atmosphere
Book keeping Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 July 2012
This is an MGA for Insurance. I have been working with them for some time now though only part time. , I can go whenever and do my data entry, account payable and account recieveable work. I even do their filing work, handle their faxes, call the advisors and I work 2-3 days and that too for 2-3 hours so they have made it flexible for me to come anytime between ten to six.
The Staff is so good and helpful and I look forward to the next day.
The Manager is a gem of a person.
As I am a licensed Insurance Advisor I understnd their work and I enjoy it too.
Junior Clerk
Junior Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg,MB16 July 2012
Great West Life was a great place to work, the people that you work with are very nice and friendly. I did not have any problems working there. Great people and great location.
Pros
location
Great place to work with great people
Transaction Processor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 June 2012
Amazing company that really takes care of their employees
Great people
Beautiful facilities
Programs to aid in advancement
Pros
gym
very good company to work for
Claims processor (Former Employee) –  London, Ontario17 June 2012
A typical day at work was to get your claims from your drawer and key them in quickly and accurately.

The management and my co-workers were very easy to work with.

I enjoyed my time working with GWL.
Pros
make your own hours
Great place to work aside from less oppertunity of advancment
Cleaner/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 May 2012
started out working with a great team. From Senior management to My co-workers. one of the senior management personnel left, and as did the rest leaving just me. After almost a year exactly it being there I was called by an old coworker, who offered me the position with Transglobe and wage increase. This job here with GWL, was great in most aspects aside from wage.
Pros
mountain view, 2 bedroom, on call every second weekend.
Cons
wage, recognizing my accomplishments.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great West. Our community is ready to answer.