Great West Employee Reviews in Canada

Welcoming atmosphere
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  London, ONNovember 24, 2014
Great West Life has a great social aspect to the work day. Social activities make the day feel light and cheery.
Pros
fun social holiday events
Productive , fast and Chilled
Business Administrator (Operations) (Former Employee) –  Regina , SKMay 23, 2014
A typical Corporate Backend Operations and Business Administration Job with peace and no Non sense involved. Chilled out , relaxed , sweet and Computers.
Junior Clerk
Junior Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg,MBJuly 16, 2012
Great West Life was a great place to work, the people that you work with are very nice and friendly. I did not have any problems working there. Great people and great location.
Pros
location
Great fun workplace
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 6, 2014
9am-5pm job, great staff and fun work environment. Free lunch every week and laid back atmosphere. Excellent company to work for.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
low pay
Great company with sound reputation
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 20, 2013
People are happy working there. Employees were encouraged to find and solve problems on their own. Fun environment with high efficiency.
Trial period
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ONAugust 19, 2014
Good people
I wasn't there long to get an idea of management
I wanted to try working at the insurance industry
Pros
co-workers
Cons
location
Great place to work with great people
Transaction Processor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 26, 2012
Amazing company that really takes care of their employees
Great people
Beautiful facilities
Programs to aid in advancement
Pros
gym
Objectid oriented attitude
Spécialiste de gestion de Configuration (Former Employee) –  WinnipegJanuary 4, 2013
good management
friendly, helpful co-workers
overall enjoyable job task, including problem solving
Very professional
Project Team Member (Former Employee) –  WinnipegMarch 24, 2014
Easy place to work for , great culture . Would recommend to work here .
A diverse multiculture and a productive company to work with
IT Security Analyst (ISO) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, ManitobaOctober 30, 2013
A typical day at work is managing major security incidents for specific sites by actively monitoring vulnerabilities and exploits and taking appropriate decision in a timely manner. Provide professional security expertise to business, I.S. management and technology by conducting security vulnerability and risk assessment and identifying security solutions. Work with complex issues and investigations where a variety of specialized techniques and methods are applied and may not be always standardized and prescribed.
I have learned a lot about the industry infrastructure and specially the culture. I have provided guidance and training to some I.S. staff in and out of our department.
We have a healthy relationship in the ISO and we have a lot of respect with each other.
Their are a few challenges/tasks that I have encountered and one of those is by creating the EDIR security database structure and web application from ground up.
The most enjoyable part of the job are the challenges, complexity and entirety as a whole,
Pros
iso officers and security analyst meetings and discussions
Cons
long hours of extra work in security site development
Great West Life was a little fish swimming in a big Insurance pond
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto,ONSeptember 17, 2013
Great West Life is a great company however was very rigid with the employees ( limited flexibility with work/life consideration) .
I had to sign on at 9:00am promptly I could not deviate by one second. however if the call should exceed 5:00 pm there was no compensation or appreciation for the extra time unless the call exceeded 20 minutes.
The Verbiage was so rigid that I was dinged for saying have a nice day instead of a solid good by at the end of the call.
I was shocked that they adapted to a very cold uncaring manner on a call rather then a friendly caring manner. .
I felt that after working for Sun Life financial I could not stop comparing the two companies and felt that Great West Life was a very little fish swimming in a very big Insurance pond and could not match to the level of professionalism Sun Life Financial offered.
Management was not supportive of the employees never gave us the
benefit of the doubt.
I was accused of hanging up on a caller when that was not the case I searched and found PROOF to the contrary and when the proof was provided I did not receive the apology I was awarded.
They have a week training team and Managers.
My co-workers were friendly and worked with their heads down low to keep out of managements radar.
I didn't like the way the people where treated there.
The best part of the job was the pleasant co-workers( excluding
management) people felt very depreciated in this company.
Pros
the best part of the job was the pleasant co-workers( excluding
Cons
people (i) felt very depreciated in this company.
A True Review of GWL
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 11, 2013
A typical day at work involved being isolated at a computer, in a cubicle, doing highly repetitive work. As a Claims Processor you are given sufficient training, however the practice time is not enough before you hit the floor. The computer systems are out of date, therefore searching for information is tedious which increases the chance of mistakes.
I found the management condescending and witnessed a lot of passive aggressive talking down to employees who were not deemed "super stars". There is a quota to meet and quality expectations which reflect on your team, so they are constantly having meetings about your performance. This would be acceptable except for the weekly meeting in which they hand you a quality certificate ceremoniously in front of your other teammates, much in the same way a mother would give her favorite child a treat. I'm sure it's suppose to be positive but it feels demeaning and embarrassing.
If you are okay with repetitive, uninspiring work and like to work alone than this job is okay. The job itself is much like working in a factory but with the front of a professional environment. The pay is average, but with all the deductions they rope you into, including their pricey insurance, which you can only opt out of during the month of May (unfortunate if you start after that), you end up making significantly less than your wage (approx $2/hr). Also you are not paid for your 1/2 hr of lunch and are expected to come in and make up time missed from Dr.'s appt's etc. (no big deal, just something to consider).
The main building is beautiful and they take you
  more... for a tour of the restaurant (5 star chef), gym (brand new, cheap but not free membership), Tim Hortons, art gallery, nurses station, and solarium on the first day. After the tour of the beautiful facilities (which house management and upper administrative offices), they ship you off to their satellite location downtown which is only accessible by bus as parking is too expensive. Thus, by the time you finish work (8 hrs/more if you take OT), you must take two buses to get to the main building. Most people never see the main building, or the beautiful amenities that are housed there, after the first day.
I was surprised to see so many positive reviews of this company on Indeed and suspect that they must have been written by people with higher level jobs or by HR themselves.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the clean and well maintained building and the training staff. The main building would have been nice if I would have had time to access it.
Pros
clean and professional environment.
Cons
patronizing management, low pay, factory like conditions, uninspiring work, company is stingy/tight pocketed.
Je m'ennuie
AGENT DE SAISIE DE DONNEES / SOUTIEN ADMINISTRATIF (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 2, 2016
Le travail ne me convient pas, je ne peux pas laisser libre court à mes prises d'initiatives, mes idées ou même mon avis. J'ai besoin de beaucoup plus de liberté pour m'épanouir.
Pros
Horaires flexibles
Cons
Management, répétition des tâches
la Great West Life offre un excellent environnement de travail pour ses employés.
Agent aux assurances (Former Employee) –  Montréal- Centre-villeJanuary 29, 2016
Un horaire fixe qui permettait d'avoir un bel équilibre entre vie familiale et vie sociale.
J'ai beaucoup appris dans le domaines des assurances privées et collectives.
L'aspect de plus agréable de mon poste fut d'avoir à assumer des taches à grandes responsabilité, cela représentait en quelques sorte un challenge.
Pros
Très bon horaire
Cons
Courtes pauses
Bonne environnement de travail
Assistante service clientèle (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCAugust 22, 2016
Ils ne sont pas parfait, mais c'est une belle entreprise.
Beaucoup d'amis.
Superviseur gentil.
Environnement peu propice aux idées
Formatrice/ Rédactrice sinistre principale (Current Employee) –  MontrealSeptember 6, 2013
Je fais les questions de tous les rédacteurs sinistres. J'offre un suivi au nouveau employé. Je dois vérifiée les mises à jour, s'assurer qu'il n'y ai pas d'erreur. Coup de main au superviseur et assistant superviseur. Offre de la formation polyvalente, formation continue ou formation aux nouveaux employés.