Great West

Great West Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great atmosphere, safe and wonderful management
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBDecember 27, 2012
Pros: great working condition
Cons: parking downtown is difficult to secure if you are new, the in-house parking is by seniority.
Great-West Life is probably one of the best companies that I have ever worked for. The employees are treated with respect and compensated well. The physical structure of the building is strategically located, and the surrounding atmosphere is very welcoming. You are truly going to be a proud employee of this company.
Productive and supportive environment
Claims Processor (Data Entry, term) (Former Employee), WinnipegSeptember 27, 2012
Pros: lots of room for advancement, low stress environment
Cons: the monotonous nature of the work
A typical day involved sorting of claims and data entry.
I learned about insurance benefits, and medical and dental coverage
Management was supportive and very hands on when it came to helping employees excel and in creating a stress free envioronment
Coworkers were outgoing and friendly
The hardest part of the job was the monotonous nature of the work
The – more... most enjoyable part of the job was the sense of accomplishment – less
Great Company
Senior Client Service Representative (Former Employee), Halifax, NSJuly 26, 2012
Pros: travel throughout ns
Cons: you had to work hard to get advancement.
Worked over 17 years, advancement was good, pay could have been better. Not unionized or covered by workers comp. Management changed alot due to production numbers with sales. Coworkers were great. Hardest part of job was changing as the industry changed. Enjoyed helping my clients who appreciated all I did for them. Miss this job alot.
Very accomodating and fun loving atmosphere
Book keeping Clerk (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 20, 2012
This is an MGA for Insurance. I have been working with them for some time now though only part time. , I can go whenever and do my data entry, account payable and account recieveable work. I even do their filing work, handle their faxes, call the advisors and I work 2-3 days and that too for 2-3 hours so they have made it flexible for me to come anytime – more... between ten to six.
The Staff is so good and helpful and I look forward to the next day.
The Manager is a gem of a person.
As I am a licensed Insurance Advisor I understnd their work and I enjoy it too. – less
Junior Clerk
Junior Clerk (Former Employee), Winnipeg,MBJuly 16, 2012
Pros: location
Great West Life was a great place to work, the people that you work with are very nice and friendly. I did not have any problems working there. Great people and great location.
Great place to work with great people
Transaction Processor (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBJune 26, 2012
Pros: gym
Amazing company that really takes care of their employees
Great people
Beautiful facilities
Programs to aid in advancement
very good company to work for
Claims processor (Former Employee), London, OntarioJune 17, 2012
Pros: make your own hours
A typical day at work was to get your claims from your drawer and key them in quickly and accurately.

The management and my co-workers were very easy to work with.

I enjoyed my time working with GWL.
Great place to work aside from less oppertunity of advancment
Cleaner/Maintenance (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 14, 2012
Pros: mountain view, 2 bedroom, on call every second weekend.
Cons: wage, recognizing my accomplishments.
started out working with a great team. From Senior management to My co-workers. one of the senior management personnel left, and as did the rest leaving just me. After almost a year exactly it being there I was called by an old coworker, who offered me the position with Transglobe and wage increase. This job here with GWL, was great in most aspects – more... aside from wage. – less
Great West Life and Annuity
SR Switchboard Operator (Former Employee), Greenwood Village, COSeptember 9, 2014
Pros: training, learning different information
Cons: managment
I was a SR Switchboard Operator so I would take calls all day long about life insurance, retirements, health insurance and disability insurance. I learned a lot about life insurance, the different kinds of retirement plans, how claims worked under the health insurance, disability and life insurance. The co-workers did their jobs. Getting the calls when – more... someone in the member's family passed away. Loved working with the people. I also helped on the Helpline to reset passwords. – less
Productive job
Claims Examiner (Former Employee), Fort Scott, KSSeptember 6, 2014
Pros: rewards, benefits, pay
Cons: short breaks, loads of management
The day consisted of receiving medical bills, processing data, printing, filing, and making/taking phone calls.

I learned a lot about the processes of insurance, the associations between a diagnosis and treatment options, what had to be held for further review, and what was actually within my limits to pay.

I had 6 bosses. The company was broken into – more... tiers and smaller and smaller groups. This made answering to one person very difficult because I would have to weigh what my immediate supervisor wanted me to do against what her supervisor expected from her, up the chain.

Co-workers were very easy to get along with. We all mutually understood the difficulty of the position, and consistently used a team effort to solve problems we wouldn't have been immediately able to do on our own, generally without having to consult a manager.

The hardest part of this job was watching for fine details. A single missed detail could cost the company, which is not a good thing for a for-profit business. Deadlines were stringent and difficult too, but something I took pride in meeting.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the endless opportunity to move up in the company. I made consistently great reviews, earned quarterly bonuses as they were offered, and made the bi-annual raises every 6 months. Being rewarded brought great pleasure to exceeding expectations. – less
Busy Job
Customer Service and Claims Adjuster (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOMarch 27, 2014
Dr. offices and hospitals and other facilities will call for medical benefits and I would quote the benefits and also notate the account of what I relayed to the customer on the line.
Great working environment
Java Developer (Former Employee), Denver, COMarch 16, 2014
Pros: friendly, helpful and great working enviroment.
Cons: no remote working
A have always love myself being part of the company and would like to recommend to anyone who seeks any kind of positions in future at GWL.
WFM…watch out...
Scheduling Analyst (Former Employee), Greenwood Village, CoMarch 4, 2014
Cons: manager runs the team like its her household and your her child, the teammates will throw you under the bus every chance they get.
This company was nothing what i thought it was. If you applying for WFM…beware of the management and the team. Hands down one of the worst places I've worked in my entire career.
Great West is not a good place to work
Relationship Manager (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIJanuary 22, 2014
Lots of downsizing and job elimination going on - and when they eliminate your job they blame you for poor performance
CIGNA daily routine
Eligibility Analyst Associate (Former Employee), 8505 E Orchard Rd, Greenwood Village, CO. 80111January 1, 2014
Pros: parking garage. pto arrangements. work environment and location close to home.
Cons: multiple platforms that required secuity passwords to be regularly changed.
Daily duties varied from week to week. Phone contact, meetings, report and data evaluations were a day to day requirement. Management is based in CT.

Job duties became more difficult in the process of coordinating outsourcing the job functions to overseas employees who were not proficient in English which required drafting template letters and standardized – more... responses verbal and written.

Most details to the job are confidential and cannot be shared as part of a confidentiality agreement between Cigna and their employees. – less
No loyalty to employees
Plan Technical Support (Former Employee), Glendale, WIOctober 16, 2013
Pros: location
Cons: schedule, unattainable goals, management
Unattainable goals - goals were often set too high to meet resulting in failure. Management will set a person up to fail and then terminate them rather than fire them up front. Much favoritisim towards certain employees while others are left out. No loyalty to the employees what so ever. If you work here, just know that you can always be replaced and – more... will be at the drop of a hat. Management acts like they are in high school - they talk about each other and employees with no respect. – less
Awesome location but there is not too many chances for advancement.
Check Team Administrator (Current Employee), Englewood, COSeptember 24, 2013
Everyday I comply with the policies and plans to make sure the checks are disbursed correctly.
There are better companies to work for.
Client Relationship Manager (Former Employee), VirginaSeptember 5, 2013
You work from home. You manage a book of 200 to 300 clients.

You handle enrollment meetings, plan reviews, and annual reviews.
Great flexible hour schedule
Case Manager (Former Employee), Englewood, COAugust 27, 2013
A typical day- first 6 months was 1/2 day of training
Management-was probably the best management I've seen so far in my work history. All Management is required to go through an approval process to lead.
Hardest part of the job-More work than the 7 hour work day and no paid overtime.
Most enjoyable part- Ice cream was delivered to our desks on a cart – more... 1 day every month.
Benefits-were excellent except for the salary. – less
A place you can learn a lot
Development DBA (Former Employee), Englewood, COAugust 19, 2013
You can move around and learn a ton here. Loads of nice co-workers, managers and a decent life to work balance.

About Great West

Great-West Financial helps millions of Americans, their companies and employers build greater financial security. Headquartered – Read more

Great West Photos