Great West

Great West Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A True Review of GWL
Claims Processor (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 11, 2013
Pros: clean and professional environment.
Cons: patronizing management, low pay, factory like conditions, uninspiring work, company is stingy/tight pocketed.
A typical day at work involved being isolated at a computer, in a cubicle, doing highly repetitive work. As a Claims Processor you are given sufficient training, however the practice time is not enough before you hit the floor. The computer systems are out of date, therefore searching for information is tedious which increases the chance of mistakes.
I – more... found the management condescending and witnessed a lot of passive aggressive talking down to employees who were not deemed "super stars". There is a quota to meet and quality expectations which reflect on your team, so they are constantly having meetings about your performance. This would be acceptable except for the weekly meeting in which they hand you a quality certificate ceremoniously in front of your other teammates, much in the same way a mother would give her favorite child a treat. I'm sure it's suppose to be positive but it feels demeaning and embarrassing.
If you are okay with repetitive, uninspiring work and like to work alone than this job is okay. The job itself is much like working in a factory but with the front of a professional environment. The pay is average, but with all the deductions they rope you into, including their pricey insurance, which you can only opt out of during the month of May (unfortunate if you start after that), you end up making significantly less than your wage (approx $2/hr). Also you are not paid for your 1/2 hr of lunch and are expected to come in and make up time missed from Dr.'s appt's etc. (no big deal, just something to consider).
The main building is beautiful and they take you for a tour of the restaurant (5 star chef), gym (brand new, cheap but not free membership), Tim Hortons, art gallery, nurses station, and solarium on the first day. After the tour of the beautiful facilities (which house management and upper administrative offices), they ship you off to their satellite location downtown which is only accessible by bus as parking is too expensive. Thus, by the time you finish work (8 hrs/more if you take OT), you must take two buses to get to the main building. Most people never see the main building, or the beautiful amenities that are housed there, after the first day.
I was surprised to see so many positive reviews of this company on Indeed and suspect that they must have been written by people with higher level jobs or by HR themselves.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the clean and well maintained building and the training staff. The main building would have been nice if I would have had time to access it. – less
Administrative Coordinator
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee), Winnipeg, ONFebruary 12, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Cons: no permanent position
• Contract position with The People Bank
• Process paper work for clients by filling out forms for various registered plans, segregated and mutual funds keep all paper work up to date
• Provide excellent customer service by taking calls from clients and advisors and solve their problems on phone and in person when they visit the advisor. Meet with the – more... clients to discuss their basic needs before they see the advisor.
• Set up appointments for clients so they can meet Financial Advisor and discuss their financial situations and make further investments and print downloads.
• Use various softwares to access mutual funds and investments for clients, switch and transfer various accounts for clients on their request
• Distribution of mail and filing all the clients’ statements on regular basis
• Worked on Know Your Client (KYC) re-review organized by London Life and audit files for the project – less
Objectid oriented attitude
Spécialiste de gestion de Configuration (Former Employee), WinnipegJanuary 4, 2013
good management
friendly, helpful co-workers
overall enjoyable job task, including problem solving
good job
Claims Examiner (Current Employee), Regina, SKJanuary 3, 2013
Pros: excellent benefits
Cons: parking
I feel that working at Great West Life is a good job. The pay is good, and the work is constant. The benefits are excellent.
I would process claims either in paper or electronically. There is a lot of reading involved as every company has different types of policies. I would read the policy and compare the information in the claim and assess it accordingly. – more... The supervisors are good. The co-workers are friendly. Generally, you work independently so there isn't any teamwork necessary for my position. The hardest part of the job is to be as accurate and as fast as you can be. The most enjoyable part of the job is freedom to work independently. – less
Great atmosphere, safe and wonderful management
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBDecember 27, 2012
Pros: great working condition
Cons: parking downtown is difficult to secure if you are new, the in-house parking is by seniority.
Great-West Life is probably one of the best companies that I have ever worked for. The employees are treated with respect and compensated well. The physical structure of the building is strategically located, and the surrounding atmosphere is very welcoming. You are truly going to be a proud employee of this company.
Productive and supportive environment
Claims Processor (Data Entry, term) (Former Employee), WinnipegSeptember 27, 2012
Pros: lots of room for advancement, low stress environment
Cons: the monotonous nature of the work
A typical day involved sorting of claims and data entry.
I learned about insurance benefits, and medical and dental coverage
Management was supportive and very hands on when it came to helping employees excel and in creating a stress free envioronment
Coworkers were outgoing and friendly
The hardest part of the job was the monotonous nature of the work
The – more... most enjoyable part of the job was the sense of accomplishment – less
Great Company
Senior Client Service Representative (Former Employee), Halifax, NSJuly 26, 2012
Pros: travel throughout ns
Cons: you had to work hard to get advancement.
Worked over 17 years, advancement was good, pay could have been better. Not unionized or covered by workers comp. Management changed alot due to production numbers with sales. Coworkers were great. Hardest part of job was changing as the industry changed. Enjoyed helping my clients who appreciated all I did for them. Miss this job alot.
Very accomodating and fun loving atmosphere
Book keeping Clerk (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 20, 2012
This is an MGA for Insurance. I have been working with them for some time now though only part time. , I can go whenever and do my data entry, account payable and account recieveable work. I even do their filing work, handle their faxes, call the advisors and I work 2-3 days and that too for 2-3 hours so they have made it flexible for me to come anytime – more... between ten to six.
The Staff is so good and helpful and I look forward to the next day.
The Manager is a gem of a person.
As I am a licensed Insurance Advisor I understnd their work and I enjoy it too. – less
Junior Clerk
Junior Clerk (Former Employee), Winnipeg,MBJuly 16, 2012
Pros: location
Great West Life was a great place to work, the people that you work with are very nice and friendly. I did not have any problems working there. Great people and great location.
Great place to work with great people
Transaction Processor (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBJune 26, 2012
Pros: gym
Amazing company that really takes care of their employees
Great people
Beautiful facilities
Programs to aid in advancement
very good company to work for
Claims processor (Former Employee), London, OntarioJune 17, 2012
Pros: make your own hours
A typical day at work was to get your claims from your drawer and key them in quickly and accurately.

The management and my co-workers were very easy to work with.

I enjoyed my time working with GWL.
Great place to work aside from less oppertunity of advancment
Cleaner/Maintenance (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 14, 2012
Pros: mountain view, 2 bedroom, on call every second weekend.
Cons: wage, recognizing my accomplishments.
started out working with a great team. From Senior management to My co-workers. one of the senior management personnel left, and as did the rest leaving just me. After almost a year exactly it being there I was called by an old coworker, who offered me the position with Transglobe and wage increase. This job here with GWL, was great in most aspects – more... aside from wage. – less
Financial Institution out for itsself
Benefits Administrator - Education Counselor (Former Employee), Denver, CODecember 11, 2014
Pros: you can have a job until they're done using you
Cons: no back up support for their employees, customers could make up stories and managers could do the same, no proof needed and you were then nothing.
This was an interesting experience. Management was out for themselves there was no employer/employee loyalty and the upper management would throw you under the bus to protect their jobs. HR would always be on the side of the management even if there was no proof an employee did anything wrong.
Calls Calls and more Calls
Junior Retirement Representative (Current Employee), DenverDecember 2, 2014
Pros: job security
Cons: pay, breaks, work life balance.
Typical call center job. Benefits are minimal. Retirement program is lacking for a financial firm. Managers seem to be just as lost on what is coming down the pipe as the new hires are. Everyone is nice but no one seems to know what tomorrow brings or what our goals should be. The type of people that are calling in daily about their accounts treat most – more... of us like door mats. Job security is good because so many people quit. – less
Good place to work.
Senior Plan Services Representative (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WINovember 9, 2014
Pros: good job
Cons: until the 2008 crash.
Great West in Milwaukee is a 'third leg' of a Denver based organization
Great West Life
Network Security Administrator (Former Employee), Greenwood Village, COSeptember 17, 2014
It was a place to get a pay check. Will not be going back..........
Great West Life and Annuity
SR Switchboard Operator (Former Employee), Greenwood Village, COSeptember 9, 2014
Pros: training, learning different information
Cons: managment
I was a SR Switchboard Operator so I would take calls all day long about life insurance, retirements, health insurance and disability insurance. I learned a lot about life insurance, the different kinds of retirement plans, how claims worked under the health insurance, disability and life insurance. The co-workers did their jobs. Getting the calls when – more... someone in the member's family passed away. Loved working with the people. I also helped on the Helpline to reset passwords. – less
Productive job
Claims Examiner (Former Employee), Fort Scott, KSSeptember 6, 2014
Pros: rewards, benefits, pay
Cons: short breaks, loads of management
The day consisted of receiving medical bills, processing data, printing, filing, and making/taking phone calls.

I learned a lot about the processes of insurance, the associations between a diagnosis and treatment options, what had to be held for further review, and what was actually within my limits to pay.

I had 6 bosses. The company was broken into – more... tiers and smaller and smaller groups. This made answering to one person very difficult because I would have to weigh what my immediate supervisor wanted me to do against what her supervisor expected from her, up the chain.

Co-workers were very easy to get along with. We all mutually understood the difficulty of the position, and consistently used a team effort to solve problems we wouldn't have been immediately able to do on our own, generally without having to consult a manager.

The hardest part of this job was watching for fine details. A single missed detail could cost the company, which is not a good thing for a for-profit business. Deadlines were stringent and difficult too, but something I took pride in meeting.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the endless opportunity to move up in the company. I made consistently great reviews, earned quarterly bonuses as they were offered, and made the bi-annual raises every 6 months. Being rewarded brought great pleasure to exceeding expectations. – less
Busy Job
Customer Service and Claims Adjuster (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOMarch 27, 2014
Dr. offices and hospitals and other facilities will call for medical benefits and I would quote the benefits and also notate the account of what I relayed to the customer on the line.
Great working environment
Java Developer (Former Employee), Denver, COMarch 16, 2014
Pros: friendly, helpful and great working enviroment.
Cons: no remote working
A have always love myself being part of the company and would like to recommend to anyone who seeks any kind of positions in future at GWL.

About Great West

Great-West Financial helps millions of Americans, their companies and employers build greater financial security. Headquartered – Read more

Great West Photos