Great West Employee Reviews

Claims Processor
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  WinnipegJuly 21, 2015
The productivity/accuracy expectations are too high. They give you a 1 year trial to hit the goals. If you aren't hitting them they let you go, very stressful.

They even let some people go before the one year was up if they fell too far behind. Only about half the people from my training class were kept after 1 year.

You are still basically learning stuff after 3-4 months, so it's more like only 9 months to meet very high work expectations.

Not much warning when they let you go, just take you into an office one morning and pack up your stuff for you.

I received only one week of severance pay (the bare minimum allowed), and you won't be able to collect EI either, because it was a probationary contract.

A very bad situation to be in after a full year of hard work.

Pay was also mediocre ($14/hr) considering the amount of training and knowledge required for the job.
Pros
Friendly, nice staff and co-workers
Cons
Expectations too high
Great Company
Senior Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJuly 26, 2012
Worked over 17 years, advancement was good, pay could have been better. Not unionized or covered by workers comp. Management changed alot due to production numbers with sales. Coworkers were great. Hardest part of job was changing as the industry changed. Enjoyed helping my clients who appreciated all I did for them. Miss this job alot.
Pros
travel throughout ns
Cons
you had to work hard to get advancement.
Proactive and fun in big tennis - 3.5 level in double.
Building Operator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCNovember 25, 2015
Servicing HVAC; taking tenancies calls
Maintaining log of operations
Chemical water treatment for swimming pool and spa; WHMS.
Great West Life was a little fish swimming in a big Insurance pond
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto,ONSeptember 17, 2013
Great West Life is a great company however was very rigid with the employees ( limited flexibility with work/life consideration) .
I had to sign on at 9:00am promptly I could not deviate by one second. however if the call should exceed 5:00 pm there was no compensation or appreciation for the extra time unless the call exceeded 20 minutes.
The Verbiage was so rigid that I was dinged for saying have a nice day instead of a solid good by at the end of the call.
I was shocked that they adapted to a very cold uncaring manner on a call rather then a friendly caring manner. .
I felt that after working for Sun Life financial I could not stop comparing the two companies and felt that Great West Life was a very little fish swimming in a very big Insurance pond and could not match to the level of professionalism Sun Life Financial offered.
Management was not supportive of the employees never gave us the
benefit of the doubt.
I was accused of hanging up on a caller when that was not the case I searched and found PROOF to the contrary and when the proof was provided I did not receive the apology I was awarded.
They have a week training team and Managers.
My co-workers were friendly and worked with their heads down low to keep out of managements radar.
I didn't like the way the people where treated there.
The best part of the job was the pleasant co-workers( excluding
management) people felt very depreciated in this company.
Pros
the best part of the job was the pleasant co-workers( excluding
Cons
people (i) felt very depreciated in this company.
Great company to work for!
Senior BI Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 22, 2015
it has a great vibe and the nicest staff. Things are handled so professionally and in a relaxed manner. Not to say that they don't work hard because they do! Great communication between management and individuals. Everyone has an open door policy.
If you follow the dress code and attendance and do what you are supposed to do there is nothing that could go wrong.!
A diverse multiculture and a productive company to work with
IT Security Analyst (ISO) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, ManitobaOctober 30, 2013
A typical day at work is managing major security incidents for specific sites by actively monitoring vulnerabilities and exploits and taking appropriate decision in a timely manner. Provide professional security expertise to business, I.S. management and technology by conducting security vulnerability and risk assessment and identifying security solutions. Work with complex issues and investigations where a variety of specialized techniques and methods are applied and may not be always standardized and prescribed.
I have learned a lot about the industry infrastructure and specially the culture. I have provided guidance and training to some I.S. staff in and out of our department.
We have a healthy relationship in the ISO and we have a lot of respect with each other.
Their are a few challenges/tasks that I have encountered and one of those is by creating the EDIR security database structure and web application from ground up.
The most enjoyable part of the job are the challenges, complexity and entirety as a whole,
Pros
iso officers and security analyst meetings and discussions
Cons
long hours of extra work in security site development
Large Organization
Client Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  London, ONJune 12, 2015
I work with some very good co-workers
Very busy high stress environment.
Management is never out of their offices to support staff members.
Dealing with unreliable team mates.
Knowing that I helped and resolved an issue for the person on the other side of the phone or email.
Pros
Fantastic Christmas Bonuses
Cons
No support by management - employees are never asked for feedback.
Good job culture
claims processor (Former Employee) –  downtownAugust 26, 2015
this company had a good job culture.
the productivity and quality expectation were to high.
i found that after your training is c omplete they really pressure you to meet the expectations.
Liked what I did
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 17, 2015
Poor productivity levels required by management to the employees. Excellent bonus pay. Good vacation pay/days. Half day off with pay for your birthday. Very good benefit packages.
Pros
bonuses
Cons
productivity goals
Great work environment with emphasis on respectful treatment of employees and encouragement for professional development. Excellent!!!!
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 19, 2013
I was employed by Great West Life, Disability Division on a term assignment through Diversified Staffing. Although my position was of an Administrative support nature, I was treated with thorough respect and professionalism by the Case Managers and Management. I was treated as if I were a permanent employee from my first day and was made to feel as I were an integral part of the team. Even though it was a relatively fast paced work environment, there was always time for a smile and a little fun.
Great place for managers
Administration/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, ManitobaMarch 17, 2015
Typical Day at work

Very tight deadlines
Lots of data entry
No room for error

Like any large company, depends on the person
I had one amazing manager
Most only looked at one side of the story
Pros
Great dental plan
Cons
Can't make a single mistake
flexible working hours
Rehabilitation Consultant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton - Niagara RegionJune 18, 2015
great company
contracts do end without the possibility of renewal
great training program
flexible working hours but must have the experience and the ability to work independently with minimal supervision in order to be successful working from a home based job
Pros
work from home
Management need to gain people skills
Medical Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKSeptember 26, 2014
For the amount of knowledge you are expected to understand, you are paid very poorly. I worked on complex claims, and we were not allowed to ask questions. We were not allowed to talk to fellow employees. We were expected to have 0 errors and high speed in entering claims. How could you effectively do your job when you have questions? This would reduce productivity, increase stress and make a very unhappy workforce.
Pros
they had a cafeteria.
Cons
bad management
Great place to work aside from less oppertunity of advancment
Cleaner/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 14, 2012
started out working with a great team. From Senior management to My co-workers. one of the senior management personnel left, and as did the rest leaving just me. After almost a year exactly it being there I was called by an old coworker, who offered me the position with Transglobe and wage increase. This job here with GWL, was great in most aspects aside from wage.
Pros
mountain view, 2 bedroom, on call every second weekend.
Cons
wage, recognizing my accomplishments.
Administrative Coordinator
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, ONFebruary 12, 2013
• Contract position with The People Bank
• Process paper work for clients by filling out forms for various registered plans, segregated and mutual funds keep all paper work up to date
• Provide excellent customer service by taking calls from clients and advisors and solve their problems on phone and in person when they visit the advisor. Meet with the clients to discuss their basic needs before they see the advisor.
• Set up appointments for clients so they can meet Financial Advisor and discuss their financial situations and make further investments and print downloads.
• Use various softwares to access mutual funds and investments for clients, switch and transfer various accounts for clients on their request
• Distribution of mail and filing all the clients’ statements on regular basis
• Worked on Know Your Client (KYC) re-review organized by London Life and audit files for the project
Pros
free lunches
Cons
no permanent position
Good workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  winnipeg, mbSeptember 30, 2013
Duties include the handling of client calls in a polite, professional and timely manner. As well as the knowledge to give out correct benefit coverage information on a variety of products and services, in order to answer client questions correctly, every time, the first time. Having a pleasant tone of voice is also very important in managing customer experiences, and making sure the clients are fully satisfied with the level of assistance they received. Through working in such an environment, I have developed a sense of patience that I have carried forward from the workplace into my personal life.
Very accomodating and fun loving atmosphere
Book keeping Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 20, 2012
This is an MGA for Insurance. I have been working with them for some time now though only part time. , I can go whenever and do my data entry, account payable and account recieveable work. I even do their filing work, handle their faxes, call the advisors and I work 2-3 days and that too for 2-3 hours so they have made it flexible for me to come anytime between ten to six.
The Staff is so good and helpful and I look forward to the next day.
The Manager is a gem of a person.
As I am a licensed Insurance Advisor I understnd their work and I enjoy it too.
Great West Life
Sr. Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 18, 2014
Busy
The people are great to work with
Management is difficult
The hardest part of the job is too get your work done when the workload is unmanageable
When your co-workers appreciate the small things you have done for them
Pros
flex hours and compressed days
Cons
not enough staff
Former employee
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  WinnipegJanuary 20, 2014
Just recently left GWL as a claims processor and a co-worker was let go due to not meeting expectations. Stress of meeting their expectations was too much. When they took my co-worker to another office to meet with HR to let her know the news, they packed up her desk and handed everything to her in a plastic garbage bag. Very classy. 3 weeks of training and god help you if you struggle when you hit the floor. Weekly meetings about how poorly you are doing but as you improve it doesn't matter. It still isn't what they expect.
Great atmosphere, safe and wonderful management
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBDecember 27, 2012
Great-West Life is probably one of the best companies that I have ever worked for. The employees are treated with respect and compensated well. The physical structure of the building is strategically located, and the surrounding atmosphere is very welcoming. You are truly going to be a proud employee of this company.
Pros
great working condition
Cons
parking downtown is difficult to secure if you are new, the in-house parking is by seniority.