Great West Employee Reviews

Loved it
Admin Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 September 2016
This place was a great place to work, only left because I was relocating and hadn't been there a year. Would recommend this place to anyone.
Bonne environnement de travail
Assistante service clientèle (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC22 August 2016
Ils ne sont pas parfait, mais c'est une belle entreprise.
Beaucoup d'amis.
Superviseur gentil.
Quiet office
Health Center Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK15 June 2016
A typical day at work involved typing, faxing, making files for patients,organization.
I learned multiple computer programs that I have not used in years.
I worked in an office with my boss and myself.
The hardest part of my job was trying to understand what my boss wanted from me.
The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting will people who came to the office for treatment.
Pros
Quiet rooms for breaks.
Cons
Was not always able to get my breaks
Every day Duties
Corporate Switchboard Operator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 June 2016
The experience has been positive as far as a team environment goes, however the department had a lot office politics, and favoritism. I learnt how to make it a positive experience but as a workplace environment and experiencing poor management from the executive point of view- it was difficult to try to maintain an atmosphere for growth within the company due to the poor management of others on a corporate level. I enjoyed the job and the people but I do feel as though our team was mistreated and left unsupported when we needed it. My co-workers were wonderful, the job was fulfilling and easy to learn. The hardest part of the job was dealing with negative atmospheres created by employees around us. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a close knit team and the callers I got to help on a daily basis.
Pros
5th floor cafe
Cons
Poor Management services from our leaders
Je m'ennuie
AGENT DE SAISIE DE DONNEES / SOUTIEN ADMINISTRATIF (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC2 May 2016
Le travail ne me convient pas, je ne peux pas laisser libre court à mes prises d'initiatives, mes idées ou même mon avis. J'ai besoin de beaucoup plus de liberté pour m'épanouir.
Pros
Horaires flexibles
Cons
Management, répétition des tâches
Interesting
Bilingual Customer Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 April 2016
In a company where individuals are valued, the customer relations team is less made up of individuals but more a group of numbers.
When you are well liked by your team leader you will see advancement opportunities and training up to new levels regularly. When you are not liked by your team leader you will be stuck.
In my case, after getting a new team leader, I was prevented from moving up and off of the phones. I was proficient in French and understanding different accents. I could put french speakers at ease and did a great job representing the company over the phone. This was not an asset for me. It prevented advancement.
However, I was able to get to know and understand the inner workings of the company and see the potential if working in any other department. I still value the experience I gained while at GWL and would gladly call it my "work-home" in the future as long as it was in another department.
Pros
great benefits, opportunities for education, benefits
Cons
no advancement, long hours
Overall a good place to grow from
(Site Supervisor) In-House Sr. Security (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 April 2016
- My work day was 8 hours which is rare in the security industry. On a 2 week rotation of days and evenings.
-I learned more skills in the construction and cctv electronic set up.
-My co-workers were contract security where I was In-house.
-The hardest part was the skill and education levels of the contract security. Also dealing with Management that viewed security in a lesser capacity.
-I enjoyed helping customers in various calls for service.
Pros
Very little micro management
Cons
No room for laterial growth
Alright if your nerves can handle it...
Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 February 2016
The Claims area is basically a white collar sweat shop. Productivity expectations are extremely high and they regularly keep raising the bar. The company only wants "super stars". If you're an average worker you're gradually looked upon as less favourable. Error report notes are gradual nails in your work coffin. No talking allowed on the work floor, unless it's with a supervisor. Favourtism is regularly applied to those they like. Every unit always seemed to have at least one person who was on stress leave. I had to leave under a medical quit as my doctor deemed that the stress levels I was on were hazardous to my health. "Abandon hope all ye who enter here..."
Pros
Regular employment
Cons
Extreme stress, belittling by supervisors
Pays the Bills
Senior Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 February 2016
Hours are too long, have made good friends. The variety of tasks to perform in any given day make it interesting. Many ongoing changes continue to make it challenging.
Pros
Addition of Personal Days
Cons
Long hours unpaid overtime.
Good work environment and helpful coworkers
Senior Java Developer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 February 2016
Good company with a lot of different divisions
so lots of opportunity to move around.
Willing to teach.
Compensation seems good with solid benefits
la Great West Life offre un excellent environnement de travail pour ses employés.
Agent aux assurances (Former Employee) –  Montréal- Centre-ville29 January 2016
Un horaire fixe qui permettait d'avoir un bel équilibre entre vie familiale et vie sociale.
J'ai beaucoup appris dans le domaines des assurances privées et collectives.
L'aspect de plus agréable de mon poste fut d'avoir à assumer des taches à grandes responsabilité, cela représentait en quelques sorte un challenge.
Pros
Très bon horaire
Cons
Courtes pauses
Proactive and fun in big tennis - 3.5 level in double.
Building Operator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 November 2015
Servicing HVAC; taking tenancies calls
Maintaining log of operations
Chemical water treatment for swimming pool and spa; WHMS.
Fast-paced & friendly work environment.
Operations Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 September 2015
The Operations Associate role offers a variety of work including replying to various e-mail queries, processing invoices and staff expenses, organizing and sending out mail and numerous other tasks; while greeting clients and co-workers at the Front Desk and answering incoming telephone lines.

Each day is never quite the same which keeps the job interesting and the days go by quickly. There is a platform for problem solving when faced with quick decision making and supporting the team.

The people are friendly and collaborate well as a team. We also help support other employees located in branch offices throughout the Province of BC.
Pros
United Way Compaigns & Social Events
Cons
Keepin up with ever changing deadlines.
Good job culture
claims processor (Former Employee) –  downtown26 August 2015
this company had a good job culture.
the productivity and quality expectation were to high.
i found that after your training is c omplete they really pressure you to meet the expectations.
Former Senior Claims Examiner
Senior Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg Mb8 August 2015
You have to meet deadlines and they are expected of you, however when doing harder work in my time there you were able to write down time spent on complex claims.
I think that ergonomics needs to be looked at more for a healthier work station. I feel Management does pick favourites but I went into the job to make people happy.
I didn't get involved in the office politics.
I was used to productivity so that was easy.
Training was great.
Staff are good. A little to much meetings and yes they take up to much time, however when I was there you took the time off and your productivity should not be hard to meet
Overall for a private company I felt it was a great place to work
Pros
Making clients happy. Good benefits, vacation pk., and you do get paid for sick.
Cons
Not good on ergonomics. Demanding and scare tactics cause failure.
Good place to work and people are very lovely.
Data Entry Processor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg26 July 2015
I usually handle Data Entry Processing on a day-to-day basis, and with that I also ensure that all information needed for an application is present, to be entered more efficiently. I have learned a lot about what goes into a single application up to the point of it being issued to clients. Also perform contract audits prior to issuance of policies being applied for. I appreciate my colleagues as well as my team leader. I admire the transparency at work that's very important to me. There isn't really anything hard about my current posting. Most enjoyable part would be unusual situations and difficulties that come with the job and welcome all challenges head on.
Pros
Great freebies, fun place to work and good benefits for employees
Cons
Nothing bad to say
Claims Processor
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg21 July 2015
The productivity/accuracy expectations are too high. They give you a 1 year trial to hit the goals. If you aren't hitting them they let you go, very stressful.

They even let some people go before the one year was up if they fell too far behind. Only about half the people from my training class were kept after 1 year.

You are still basically learning stuff after 3-4 months, so it's more like only 9 months to meet very high work expectations.

Not much warning when they let you go, just take you into an office one morning and pack up your stuff for you.

I received only one week of severance pay (the bare minimum allowed), and you won't be able to collect EI either, because it was a probationary contract.

A very bad situation to be in after a full year of hard work.

Pay was also mediocre ($14/hr) considering the amount of training and knowledge required for the job.
Pros
Friendly, nice staff and co-workers
Cons
Expectations too high
it was a good place to work
coordinator Records Management (Former Employee) –  Regina, sask22 June 2015
I managed a large file room.
eventually the division was moved to the U.S. and all files needed to be scanned which I managed. the files were prepped, scanned, and indexed.
it was a very large project of 75,000 files.
Pros
people
Cons
salary
flexible working hours
Rehabilitation Consultant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton - Niagara Region18 June 2015
great company
contracts do end without the possibility of renewal
great training program
flexible working hours but must have the experience and the ability to work independently with minimal supervision in order to be successful working from a home based job
Pros
work from home
Large Organization
Client Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  London, ON12 June 2015
I work with some very good co-workers
Very busy high stress environment.
Management is never out of their offices to support staff members.
Dealing with unreliable team mates.
Knowing that I helped and resolved an issue for the person on the other side of the phone or email.
Pros
Fantastic Christmas Bonuses
Cons
No support by management - employees are never asked for feedback.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great West. Our community is ready to answer.