Great West Employee Reviews

Fast-paced & friendly work environment.
Operations Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 September 2015
The Operations Associate role offers a variety of work including replying to various e-mail queries, processing invoices and staff expenses, organizing and sending out mail and numerous other tasks; while greeting clients and co-workers at the Front Desk and answering incoming telephone lines.

Each day is never quite the same which keeps the job interesting and the days go by quickly. There is a platform for problem solving when faced with quick decision making and supporting the team.

The people are friendly and collaborate well as a team. We also help support other employees located in branch offices throughout the Province of BC.
Pros
United Way Compaigns & Social Events
Cons
Keepin up with ever changing deadlines.
Good job culture
claims processor (Former Employee) –  downtown26 August 2015
this company had a good job culture.
the productivity and quality expectation were to high.
i found that after your training is c omplete they really pressure you to meet the expectations.
Former Senior Claims Examiner
Senior Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg Mb8 August 2015
You have to meet deadlines and they are expected of you, however when doing harder work in my time there you were able to write down time spent on complex claims.
I think that ergonomics needs to be looked at more for a healthier work station. I feel Management does pick favourites but I went into the job to make people happy.
I didn't get involved in the office politics.
I was used to productivity so that was easy.
Training was great.
Staff are good. A little to much meetings and yes they take up to much time, however when I was there you took the time off and your productivity should not be hard to meet
Overall for a private company I felt it was a great place to work
Pros
Making clients happy. Good benefits, vacation pk., and you do get paid for sick.
Cons
Not good on ergonomics. Demanding and scare tactics cause failure.
Good place to work and people are very lovely.
Data Entry Processor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg26 July 2015
I usually handle Data Entry Processing on a day-to-day basis, and with that I also ensure that all information needed for an application is present, to be entered more efficiently. I have learned a lot about what goes into a single application up to the point of it being issued to clients. Also perform contract audits prior to issuance of policies being applied for. I appreciate my colleagues as well as my team leader. I admire the transparency at work that's very important to me. There isn't really anything hard about my current posting. Most enjoyable part would be unusual situations and difficulties that come with the job and welcome all challenges head on.
Pros
Great freebies, fun place to work and good benefits for employees
Cons
Nothing bad to say
Claims Processor
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg21 July 2015
The productivity/accuracy expectations are too high. They give you a 1 year trial to hit the goals. If you aren't hitting them they let you go, very stressful.

They even let some people go before the one year was up if they fell too far behind. Only about half the people from my training class were kept after 1 year.

You are still basically learning stuff after 3-4 months, so it's more like only 9 months to meet very high work expectations.

Not much warning when they let you go, just take you into an office one morning and pack up your stuff for you.

I received only one week of severance pay (the bare minimum allowed), and you won't be able to collect EI either, because it was a probationary contract.

A very bad situation to be in after a full year of hard work.

Pay was also mediocre ($14/hr) considering the amount of training and knowledge required for the job.
Pros
Friendly, nice staff and co-workers
Cons
Expectations too high
it was a good place to work
coordinator Records Management (Former Employee) –  Regina, sask22 June 2015
I managed a large file room.
eventually the division was moved to the U.S. and all files needed to be scanned which I managed. the files were prepped, scanned, and indexed.
it was a very large project of 75,000 files.
Pros
people
Cons
salary
flexible working hours
Rehabilitation Consultant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton - Niagara Region18 June 2015
great company
contracts do end without the possibility of renewal
great training program
flexible working hours but must have the experience and the ability to work independently with minimal supervision in order to be successful working from a home based job
Pros
work from home
Large Organization
Client Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  London, ON12 June 2015
I work with some very good co-workers
Very busy high stress environment.
Management is never out of their offices to support staff members.
Dealing with unreliable team mates.
Knowing that I helped and resolved an issue for the person on the other side of the phone or email.
Pros
Fantastic Christmas Bonuses
Cons
No support by management - employees are never asked for feedback.
Challenging,rewarding
Corporate Counsel (Former Employee) –  Edmonton21 March 2015
They treat their employees very well. We had a base plus salary,expense accounts and corporate training and trips. The work environment was relaxed ,but professional. Typical day was nine to five,no weekends. I learned that there are bright people who do not work in Law firms,which is contrary to what most lawyers believe.My colleagues wet some of the finest tax advisors in Canada and were a wealth of information,always willing to help. the most enjoyable part of the job was creating exit strategies for business owners.
Pros
Salary, environment, training, travel
Cons
Bureaucracy
Liked what I did
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 March 2015
Poor productivity levels required by management to the employees. Excellent bonus pay. Good vacation pay/days. Half day off with pay for your birthday. Very good benefit packages.
Pros
bonuses
Cons
productivity goals
Great place for managers
Administration/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, Manitoba17 March 2015
Typical Day at work

Very tight deadlines
Lots of data entry
No room for error

Like any large company, depends on the person
I had one amazing manager
Most only looked at one side of the story
Pros
Great dental plan
Cons
Can't make a single mistake
Great company to work for!
Senior BI Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 February 2015
it has a great vibe and the nicest staff. Things are handled so professionally and in a relaxed manner. Not to say that they don't work hard because they do! Great communication between management and individuals. Everyone has an open door policy.
If you follow the dress code and attendance and do what you are supposed to do there is nothing that could go wrong.!
Welcoming atmosphere
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  London, ON24 November 2014
Great West Life has a great social aspect to the work day. Social activities make the day feel light and cheery.
Pros
Fun social holiday events
worked there for over 14 years
Senior Claims (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 October 2014
Worked there for years trained within the company however not very may pay raises and if your quality and quanity was not up to snuff you needed to explain to the head supervisor's desk on a weekly basis. I've have to learned not to trust people from working there and that hard work doesn't always pay off.
Great West Life
Sr. Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 October 2014
Busy
The people are great to work with
Management is difficult
The hardest part of the job is too get your work done when the workload is unmanageable
When your co-workers appreciate the small things you have done for them
Pros
Flex hours and compressed days
Cons
Not enough staff
Management need to gain people skills
Medical Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK26 September 2014
For the amount of knowledge you are expected to understand, you are paid very poorly. I worked on complex claims, and we were not allowed to ask questions. We were not allowed to talk to fellow employees. We were expected to have 0 errors and high speed in entering claims. How could you effectively do your job when you have questions? This would reduce productivity, increase stress and make a very unhappy workforce.
Pros
They had a cafeteria.
Cons
Bad management
Great fun workplace
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 September 2014
9am-5pm job, great staff and fun work environment. Free lunch every week and laid back atmosphere. Excellent company to work for.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
low pay
Trial period
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ON19 August 2014
Good people
I wasn't there long to get an idea of management
I wanted to try working at the insurance industry
Pros
co-workers
Cons
location
An enjoyable work place but with below average salary/benefits
Workforce (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 July 2014
A wonderful place to work with great co-workers and a healthy work/life balance atmosphere. Greatest challenge is their lack of industry competitive salaries and benefits.
Productive , fast and Chilled
Business Administrator (Operations) (Former Employee) –  Regina , SK23 May 2014
A typical Corporate Backend Operations and Business Administration Job with peace and no Non sense involved. Chilled out , relaxed , sweet and Computers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great West. Our community is ready to answer.