Great West Employee Reviews

Sub-par
Sales Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 March 2017
-Sales associates do not follow up with sales management
-Very behind with technology (paper oriented, very hard to manage)
-Marketing is outdated
-They are not creative with their industry approach (Second mover)
-Culture within the office is below average
-Salary the organization will take advantage of you if you are new
-Benefits within the organization are incredible
Cons
They take everything for granted
A place to retire
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 January 2017
The company is way behind the times in the IT world. But is not interested in really moving forward.

Cost savings through off shoring is a key priority, even though they acknowledge the impact on costs, and delivery.

If you are late in your career and want to relax and retire great option.

If you are young or in your middle career, you will find yourself bored and frustrated.

Co-workers are great

Excellent staff sponsored events.

For such a large company, and an Insurance company. Benefits are very poor, and sub par to the industry.

Lots of Navel gazing.
Every day Duties
Corporate Switchboard Operator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 June 2016
The experience has been positive as far as a team environment goes, however the department had a lot office politics, and favoritism. I learnt how to make it a positive experience but as a workplace environment and experiencing poor management from the executive point of view- it was difficult to try to maintain an atmosphere for growth within the company due to the poor management of others on a corporate level. I enjoyed the job and the people but I do feel as though our team was mistreated and left unsupported when we needed it. My co-workers were wonderful, the job was fulfilling and easy to learn. The hardest part of the job was dealing with negative atmospheres created by employees around us. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a close knit team and the callers I got to help on a daily basis.
Pros
5th floor cafe
Cons
Poor Management services from our leaders
Interesting
Bilingual Customer Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 April 2016
In a company where individuals are valued, the customer relations team is less made up of individuals but more a group of numbers.
When you are well liked by your team leader you will see advancement opportunities and training up to new levels regularly. When you are not liked by your team leader you will be stuck.
In my case, after getting a new team leader, I was prevented from moving up and off of the phones. I was proficient in French and understanding different accents. I could put french speakers at ease and did a great job representing the company over the phone. This was not an asset for me. It prevented advancement.
However, I was able to get to know and understand the inner workings of the company and see the potential if working in any other department. I still value the experience I gained while at GWL and would gladly call it my "work-home" in the future as long as it was in another department.
Pros
great benefits, opportunities for education, benefits
Cons
no advancement, long hours
Great place to work.
provider Maintenence Processor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 March 2017
Great West Life is a great place to work because the management does care about their staff. They care about the family/work balance and encourage it. They are also very approachable. Great West also provides a fitness center for it's employees to use.
stuffy
Insurance Contact Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, Manitoba2 March 2017
Management did nothing except sit in their cubicles and listen in on calls. Not every call is going to be a positive one and they would pick out the negative ones to jump down your throat. It was a constant babysitting atmosphere being told exactly what to do when to do it. No respect for their employees.
Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Toronto, On4 December 2016
The typical day at work is routine. I have learned certain things like looking at the tooth X-ray, learned how to read contracts, stipulations of company insurance policies. Management is supportive with what your plans are, co worker are mostly became your friends.
Pros
you get day off every three weeks on friday.
Cons
The progress is really limited.
Work Overload, Impossible Demands
Disability Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 November 2016
As an experienced employee having worked in various roles in various industries, this is one of the worst run companies I have ever worked at.
The case load/work load of Case Managers is impossible to keep up with. The case loads are 3 months behind, everything is a priority; you are getting pressure from employers, claimants, Unions, and your managers to provide answers and manage the claims, but it is impossible because there is just too much work.
On top of an impossible workload, management sets unrealistic demands on the Case Manager; wanting claims managed in a particular way with so many processes and they keep adding processes as a way to better manage claims. I agree they should be managed well, but it doesn't happen because a Case Manager can't keep up with the workload. Most Case Mangers take shortcuts, many claims are mismanaged and this is because the pressure to perform (we have to record what we finish each day) is so high. Management runs this company in an archaic way - top down approach. There is no collaboration, Case Managers are not heard and management just keeps heaping on the pressure, even in the midst of people quitting, going on stress leave...
New Case Managers, who are learning all the processes, procedures, legalities, systems, etc are hit with a full case load that is already very behind and they are getting hit from every angle. It can be so stressful and overwhelming that you can feel like you are having a mental breakdown.
Speaking of which, there are a number of Case Managers on stress/mental health leave...if they don't quit. For a
  more... company that claims to promote mental health & wellness in the workplace, they do a VERY poor job of it themselves. Poor management.Little culture as there is no time to even talk to your co-workers.  less
Pros
Pay is decent, training and development opportunities
Cons
Impossible workload, high demands, poor management, many unhappy employees, poor culture, no workplace wellness in practice
Former Senior Claims Examiner
Senior Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg Mb8 August 2015
You have to meet deadlines and they are expected of you, however when doing harder work in my time there you were able to write down time spent on complex claims.
I think that ergonomics needs to be looked at more for a healthier work station. I feel Management does pick favourites but I went into the job to make people happy.
I didn't get involved in the office politics.
I was used to productivity so that was easy.
Training was great.
Staff are good. A little to much meetings and yes they take up to much time, however when I was there you took the time off and your productivity should not be hard to meet
Overall for a private company I felt it was a great place to work
Pros
Making clients happy. Good benefits, vacation pk., and you do get paid for sick.
Cons
Not good on ergonomics. Demanding and scare tactics cause failure.
Very stifling and poor work conditions
Disability Case Manager (Former Employee) –  British Columbia18 February 2014
Considering this is an insurance company the employee benefits package is very basic, whilst it markets work life balance it's flextime program is far from flexible, expect a lot of productivity controls if you work here, expect to have more work than you can realistically achieve, expect to sit at your cubicle and work long hours without recognition. There is little opportunity for advancement, education is not supported or promoted, co workers will police your time of arrival, departure, breaks, personal calls, etc in an effort to curry favour with management that provides inconsistent feedback, poor support, and poor communication.
Pros
Steady job
Cons
Long hours, poor benefits, stifling atmosphere, regimented hours, too much work
Overall a good place to grow from
(Site Supervisor) In-House Sr. Security (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 April 2016
- My work day was 8 hours which is rare in the security industry. On a 2 week rotation of days and evenings.
-I learned more skills in the construction and cctv electronic set up.
-My co-workers were contract security where I was In-house.
-The hardest part was the skill and education levels of the contract security. Also dealing with Management that viewed security in a lesser capacity.
-I enjoyed helping customers in various calls for service.
Pros
Very little micro management
Cons
No room for laterial growth
Productive and supportive environment
Claims Processor (Data Entry, term) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg27 September 2012
A typical day involved sorting of claims and data entry.
I learned about insurance benefits, and medical and dental coverage
Management was supportive and very hands on when it came to helping employees excel and in creating a stress free envioronment
Coworkers were outgoing and friendly
The hardest part of the job was the monotonous nature of the work
The most enjoyable part of the job was the sense of accomplishment
Pros
lots of room for advancement, low stress environment
Cons
the monotonous nature of the work
Loved it
Admin Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 September 2016
This place was a great place to work, only left because I was relocating and hadn't been there a year. Would recommend this place to anyone.
Quiet office
Health Center Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK15 June 2016
A typical day at work involved typing, faxing, making files for patients,organization.
I learned multiple computer programs that I have not used in years.
I worked in an office with my boss and myself.
The hardest part of my job was trying to understand what my boss wanted from me.
The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting will people who came to the office for treatment.
Pros
Quiet rooms for breaks.
Cons
Was not always able to get my breaks
Good work environment and helpful coworkers
Senior Java Developer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 February 2016
Good company with a lot of different divisions
so lots of opportunity to move around.
Willing to teach.
Compensation seems good with solid benefits
A diverse multiculture and a productive company to work with
IT Security Analyst (ISO) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, Manitoba30 October 2013
A typical day at work is managing major security incidents for specific sites by actively monitoring vulnerabilities and exploits and taking appropriate decision in a timely manner. Provide professional security expertise to business, I.S. management and technology by conducting security vulnerability and risk assessment and identifying security solutions. Work with complex issues and investigations where a variety of specialized techniques and methods are applied and may not be always standardized and prescribed.
I have learned a lot about the industry infrastructure and specially the culture. I have provided guidance and training to some I.S. staff in and out of our department.
We have a healthy relationship in the ISO and we have a lot of respect with each other.
Their are a few challenges/tasks that I have encountered and one of those is by creating the EDIR security database structure and web application from ground up.
The most enjoyable part of the job are the challenges, complexity and entirety as a whole,
Pros
ISO Officers and Security Analyst meetings and discussions
Cons
Long hours of extra work in security site development
Great Company
Senior Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS26 July 2012
Worked over 17 years, advancement was good, pay could have been better. Not unionized or covered by workers comp. Management changed alot due to production numbers with sales. Coworkers were great. Hardest part of job was changing as the industry changed. Enjoyed helping my clients who appreciated all I did for them. Miss this job alot.
Pros
travel throughout ns
Cons
you had to work hard to get advancement.
Alright if your nerves can handle it...
Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 February 2016
The Claims area is basically a white collar sweat shop. Productivity expectations are extremely high and they regularly keep raising the bar. The company only wants "super stars". If you're an average worker you're gradually looked upon as less favourable. Error report notes are gradual nails in your work coffin. No talking allowed on the work floor, unless it's with a supervisor. Favourtism is regularly applied to those they like. Every unit always seemed to have at least one person who was on stress leave. I had to leave under a medical quit as my doctor deemed that the stress levels I was on were hazardous to my health. "Abandon hope all ye who enter here..."
Pros
Regular employment
Cons
Extreme stress, belittling by supervisors
An enjoyable work place but with below average salary/benefits
Workforce (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 July 2014
A wonderful place to work with great co-workers and a healthy work/life balance atmosphere. Greatest challenge is their lack of industry competitive salaries and benefits.
Pays the Bills
Senior Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 February 2016
Hours are too long, have made good friends. The variety of tasks to perform in any given day make it interesting. Many ongoing changes continue to make it challenging.
Pros
Addition of Personal Days
Cons
Long hours unpaid overtime.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great West. Our community is ready to answer.