Great West

Great West Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Welcoming atmosphere
Administrative Support (Former Employee), London, ONNovember 24, 2014
Pros: fun social holiday events
Great West Life has a great social aspect to the work day. Social activities make the day feel light and cheery.
worked there for over 14 years
Senior Claims (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBOctober 22, 2014
Worked there for years trained within the company however not very may pay raises and if your quality and quanity was not up to snuff you needed to explain to the head supervisor's desk on a weekly basis. I've have to learned not to trust people from working there and that hard work doesn't always pay off.
Great West Life
Sr. Administration Assistant (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 18, 2014
Pros: flex hours and compressed days
Cons: not enough staff
Busy
The people are great to work with
Management is difficult
The hardest part of the job is too get your work done when the workload is unmanageable
When your co-workers appreciate the small things you have done for them
Management need to gain people skills
Medical Claims Examiner (Former Employee), Regina, SKSeptember 26, 2014
Pros: they had a cafeteria.
Cons: bad management
For the amount of knowledge you are expected to understand, you are paid very poorly. I worked on complex claims, and we were not allowed to ask questions. We were not allowed to talk to fellow employees. We were expected to have 0 errors and high speed in entering claims. How could you effectively do your job when you have questions? This would reduce – more... productivity, increase stress and make a very unhappy workforce. – less
Great fun workplace
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 6, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: low pay
9am-5pm job, great staff and fun work environment. Free lunch every week and laid back atmosphere. Excellent company to work for.
Trial period
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), London, ONAugust 19, 2014
Pros: co-workers
Cons: location
Good people
I wasn't there long to get an idea of management
I wanted to try working at the insurance industry
An enjoyable work place but with below average salary/benefits
Workforce (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBJuly 7, 2014
A wonderful place to work with great co-workers and a healthy work/life balance atmosphere. Greatest challenge is their lack of industry competitive salaries and benefits.
Productive , fast and Chilled
Business Administrator (Operations) (Former Employee), Regina , SKMay 23, 2014
A typical Corporate Backend Operations and Business Administration Job with peace and no Non sense involved. Chilled out , relaxed , sweet and Computers.
What I liked at GWL
Pl. Fin. (Former Employee), Montreal, QcMay 6, 2014
Pros: flexibility, no limits on income, ownership of clientele, freedom to work with every financial institution.
Cons: lack of integrity and transparency
I worked from home and met clients in their home or work place; so, I did not have co-workers per say,
Staff was very kind and always willing to help.
What I learned was external to the company on the most part.
Most enjoyable was the flexibility to work when, where, and with whom I wanted, and to make the income I determined every year.
Very professional
Project Team Member (Former Employee), WinnipegMarch 24, 2014
Easy place to work for , great culture . Would recommend to work here .
Very stifling and poor work conditions
Disability Case Manager (Former Employee), British ColumbiaFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: steady job
Cons: long hours, poor benefits, stifling atmosphere, regimented hours, too much work
Considering this is an insurance company the employee benefits package is very basic, whilst it markets work life balance it's flextime program is far from flexible, expect a lot of productivity controls if you work here, expect to have more work than you can realistically achieve, expect to sit at your cubicle and work long hours without recognition. – more... There is little opportunity for advancement, education is not supported or promoted, co workers will police your time of arrival, departure, breaks, personal calls, etc in an effort to curry favour with management that provides inconsistent feedback, poor support, and poor communication. – less
Productive and fun work environment
Switchboard Operator (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBFebruary 5, 2014
Although the position I'm in is very limiting to the ability of being away from the phones, you are given plenty of freedom to keep yourself focused and or entertained. Very repetitive chores, but still opportunities to grow and learn.
Former employee
Claims Processor (Former Employee), WinnipegJanuary 20, 2014
Just recently left GWL as a claims processor and a co-worker was let go due to not meeting expectations. Stress of meeting their expectations was too much. When they took my co-worker to another office to meet with HR to let her know the news, they packed up her desk and handed everything to her in a plastic garbage bag. Very classy. 3 weeks of training – more... and god help you if you struggle when you hit the floor. Weekly meetings about how poorly you are doing but as you improve it doesn't matter. It still isn't what they expect. – less
A diverse multiculture and a productive company to work with
IT Security Analyst (ISO) (Former Employee), Winnipeg, ManitobaOctober 30, 2013
Pros: iso officers and security analyst meetings and discussions
Cons: long hours of extra work in security site development
A typical day at work is managing major security incidents for specific sites by actively monitoring vulnerabilities and exploits and taking appropriate decision in a timely manner. Provide professional security expertise to business, I.S. management and technology by conducting security vulnerability and risk assessment and identifying security solutions. – more... Work with complex issues and investigations where a variety of specialized techniques and methods are applied and may not be always standardized and prescribed.
I have learned a lot about the industry infrastructure and specially the culture. I have provided guidance and training to some I.S. staff in and out of our department.
We have a healthy relationship in the ISO and we have a lot of respect with each other.
Their are a few challenges/tasks that I have encountered and one of those is by creating the EDIR security database structure and web application from ground up.
The most enjoyable part of the job are the challenges, complexity and entirety as a whole, – less
Engaging and fun environment
Sr. Client Service Assistant, Employee Benefits (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 5, 2013
Every day at work goes by quickly. The continuing education benefits are great, I have taken a number of courses and also earned a designation while working for this company. It is great to be surrounded by co-workers that have been with the company for most of their career.
Good workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), winnipeg, mbSeptember 30, 2013
Duties include the handling of client calls in a polite, professional and timely manner. As well as the knowledge to give out correct benefit coverage information on a variety of products and services, in order to answer client questions correctly, every time, the first time. Having a pleasant tone of voice is also very important in managing customer – more... experiences, and making sure the clients are fully satisfied with the level of assistance they received. Through working in such an environment, I have developed a sense of patience that I have carried forward from the workplace into my personal life. – less
Poor management, no room for advancement, poor salary structure
Group Benefits (Former Employee), TorontoSeptember 28, 2013
Pros: meeting friends amidst the very stressful work environment
Cons: imagine buying your own supply of water and hand sanitizers inspite of the low salary.
Worst company in terms of employee appreciation. Most reports generated are false and deceiving. Worst Manager and Supervisors because they don't know the real ethics and technicalities of the work on the floor.
Great company with sound reputation
Financial Analyst (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBSeptember 20, 2013
People are happy working there. Employees were encouraged to find and solve problems on their own. Fun environment with high efficiency.
Great West Life was a little fish swimming in a big Insurance pond
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Toronto,ONSeptember 17, 2013
Pros: the best part of the job was the pleasant co-workers( excluding
Cons: people (i) felt very depreciated in this company.
Great West Life is a great company however was very rigid with the employees ( limited flexibility with work/life consideration) .
I had to sign on at 9:00am promptly I could not deviate by one second. however if the call should exceed 5:00 pm there was no compensation or appreciation for the extra time unless the call exceeded 20 minutes.
The Verbiage – more... was so rigid that I was dinged for saying have a nice day instead of a solid good by at the end of the call.
I was shocked that they adapted to a very cold uncaring manner on a call rather then a friendly caring manner. .
I felt that after working for Sun Life financial I could not stop comparing the two companies and felt that Great West Life was a very little fish swimming in a very big Insurance pond and could not match to the level of professionalism Sun Life Financial offered.
Management was not supportive of the employees never gave us the
benefit of the doubt.
I was accused of hanging up on a caller when that was not the case I searched and found PROOF to the contrary and when the proof was provided I did not receive the apology I was awarded.
They have a week training team and Managers.
My co-workers were friendly and worked with their heads down low to keep out of managements radar.
I didn't like the way the people where treated there.
The best part of the job was the pleasant co-workers( excluding
management) people felt very depreciated in this company. – less
Great work environment with emphasis on respectful treatment of employees and encouragement for professional development. Excellent!!!!
Administrative Support (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 19, 2013
I was employed by Great West Life, Disability Division on a term assignment through Diversified Staffing. Although my position was of an Administrative support nature, I was treated with thorough respect and professionalism by the Case Managers and Management. I was treated as if I were a permanent employee from my first day and was made to feel as – more... I were an integral part of the team. Even though it was a relatively fast paced work environment, there was always time for a smile and a little fun. – less

About Great West

Great-West Financial helps millions of Americans, their companies and employers build greater financial security. Headquartered – Read more

Great West Photos