Great West Employee Reviews

Very tense at this moment.
Mail Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 June 2017
High pressure job especially in the last two months since layoffs and job cuts were announced. Future is unknown with the company at present time. Job is about your numbers aka quality and productivity. They can change those numbers from time to time. I do work with great people and have formed some strong friendships and bonds. However, with the future being somewhat murky, it may be time for a change and a more settled work environment.
Pros
Very good people. Occasional free lunches.
Cons
High Pressure. Treated like a number at times.
Administrative Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 June 2017
Great place to work, but job is not secured. I enjoyed my job but Great West is currently changing their structure and even permanent positions are not secured.
You are replaceable
Group Retirement Services (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC23 May 2017
No performance reviews but management acts like you're not doing your job,old technology, no advancement possible (currently in restructuration), low pay
Great company to work for
Technical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 May 2017
Good work life balance and culture. Good management and considerate due to the complexity in working in a 'shared services' area which in reality is like working for three plus companies at the same time.
Pros
Staff Club, Cafeteria, Health area with nurse with good old values
Cons
Following the market on offshoring of work
Friendly
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 May 2017
friendly place to work. the management were very understanding of any family issues that came up. Great co workers, also a great location to work in downtown edmonton
Great place to learn fast and grow
Service Leader (Current Employee) –  Leader, SK25 April 2017
Great-West Life is a great place to work if you live in Winnipeg (where the HQ is located) because you get to move around a lot within the company, there's a lot of different things to do. Outside of there, there's not much things since it's a place where people stay there for a lot of years.
Pros
great health plan
Cons
workplace culture not yet up to date
No career advancement but good benefits
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK25 April 2017
The people are what really make this place work. My sanity was kept in tact because of the wonderful coworkers I had.

Management on the other hand was poor at best. They often acted as they were making up rules as they went along. If you were liked by the management, you would receive perks...if you questioned them, you get demoted.
Pros
good benefits, good pay
Cons
late shift rotation, bad management
Customer Service Representative/Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL27 March 2017
Great place to work, claim entry and customer service on a daily basis. People were friendly and inviting, never a dull day while on the job. I would recommend this company to anyone!
Sub-par
Sales Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 March 2017
-Sales associates do not follow up with sales management
-Very behind with technology (paper oriented, very hard to manage)
-Marketing is outdated
-They are not creative with their industry approach (Second mover)
-Culture within the office is below average
-Salary the organization will take advantage of you if you are new
-Benefits within the organization are incredible
Cons
They take everything for granted
Great place to work.
provider Maintenence Processor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 March 2017
Great West Life is a great place to work because the management does care about their staff. They care about the family/work balance and encourage it. They are also very approachable. Great West also provides a fitness center for it's employees to use.
stuffy
Insurance Contact Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, Manitoba2 March 2017
Management did nothing except sit in their cubicles and listen in on calls. Not every call is going to be a positive one and they would pick out the negative ones to jump down your throat. It was a constant babysitting atmosphere being told exactly what to do when to do it. No respect for their employees.
A place to retire
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 January 2017
The company is way behind the times in the IT world. But is not interested in really moving forward.

Cost savings through off shoring is a key priority, even though they acknowledge the impact on costs, and delivery.

If you are late in your career and want to relax and retire great option.

If you are young or in your middle career, you will find yourself bored and frustrated.

Co-workers are great

Excellent staff sponsored events.

For such a large company, and an Insurance company. Benefits are very poor, and sub par to the industry.

Lots of Navel gazing.
Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Toronto, On4 December 2016
The typical day at work is routine. I have learned certain things like looking at the tooth X-ray, learned how to read contracts, stipulations of company insurance policies. Management is supportive with what your plans are, co worker are mostly became your friends.
Pros
you get day off every three weeks on friday.
Cons
The progress is really limited.
Work Overload, Impossible Demands
Disability Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 November 2016
As an experienced employee having worked in various roles in various industries, this is one of the worst run companies I have ever worked at.
The case load/work load of Case Managers is impossible to keep up with. The case loads are 3 months behind, everything is a priority; you are getting pressure from employers, claimants, Unions, and your managers to provide answers and manage the claims, but it is impossible because there is just too much work.
On top of an impossible workload, management sets unrealistic demands on the Case Manager; wanting claims managed in a particular way with so many processes and they keep adding processes as a way to better manage claims. I agree they should be managed well, but it doesn't happen because a Case Manager can't keep up with the workload. Most Case Mangers take shortcuts, many claims are mismanaged and this is because the pressure to perform (we have to record what we finish each day) is so high. Management runs this company in an archaic way - top down approach. There is no collaboration, Case Managers are not heard and management just keeps heaping on the pressure, even in the midst of people quitting, going on stress leave...
New Case Managers, who are learning all the processes, procedures, legalities, systems, etc are hit with a full case load that is already very behind and they are getting hit from every angle. It can be so stressful and overwhelming that you can feel like you are having a mental breakdown.
Speaking of which, there are a number of Case Managers on stress/mental health leave...if they don't quit. For a
  more... company that claims to promote mental health & wellness in the workplace, they do a VERY poor job of it themselves. Poor management.Little culture as there is no time to even talk to your co-workers.  less
Pros
Pay is decent, training and development opportunities
Cons
Impossible workload, high demands, poor management, many unhappy employees, poor culture, no workplace wellness in practice
Worst job and experience I've ever had!
Claims Processor (Temporary Assignment) (Former Employee) –  London, ON18 September 2016
Read this before even thinking of applying to this job.

First off - this is a one year temporary contract with no guarantee of getting hired on. I can almost guarantee that probably at least 80% of the candidates who get hired end up being let go. No matter how hard you work, you always feel like it's never enough. There's always a TA or supervisor looking over your shoulder or being on your case about meeting goals. Even if you are .5% off your goal, they will still drill you about it. Not only is this job mentally draining, but the quality and productivity goals you are expected to meet are ridiculous and unrealistic. The only way you can possibly meet the goals is if you put in extra time without getting paid for it. At $14.69/hr, I certainly wasn't going to put in extra time for nothing when I knew my efforts were still going to remain unnoticed. It's bad enough that $105/mth went to parking alone - and even worse, in a lot 10-15 minutes away from my building. I had to walk to and from work 10-15 minutes every single day... I don't even want to know what Winters are like there. It's funny how much they expect from their employees and how badly they treat you once you're not meeting their expectations.

This department is a joke and has a high employee turnover rate. I didn't learn about this fact until a couple of months into the role. I didn't even last 6 months into the role. They don't even give you a warning when they plan on letting you go. One day, you're taken into an office where you sit with your direct supervisor and the senior manager. The supervisor repeats
  more... many of the things already discussed in prior one-on-one meetings/coaching sessions. Then you're asked if you need a box to pack your things because you're contract is ending and you will no longer be working there as of that day. The senior manager doesn't even say a word to you or wish you luck in your future endeavours.

The worst part is: throughout this contract, you always feel on edge and are waiting for the day when it's your turn to be let go. You never feel comfortable or secure. After work, I found myself always thinking about what's going to happen to me there. You eventually get so discouraged and lose motivation as the days go on, especially when you're not meeting the goals and are not provided with any support or words of encouragement. In all my years of working in the corporate world, I've never had a supervisor tell me to go apply to other companies because there's a chance I won't be around for much longer. Who does that? Instead of motivating your employees, you encourage them to look elsewhere? Very classy.

I hated having to associate with the TA I was assigned with. She talks to people like they're incompetent and most days you don't even want to ask questions about the claims you're working on just to avoid her. She makes an already miserable job that much more depressing. And if you don't ask questions, she'll rat you out to the supervisor. I'm not going to mention her name but I'm sure those who have worked as a Claims Processor will know exactly who I'm talking about.

I'm not giving up on the company and I can't judge it based on the experience of one specific department. I will be applying again at some point but I will never go back to the claims department. It's the worst area to be in, HANDS DOWN! Don't do it unless you want to lose brain cells and feel like you're working in your own jail cell in a sweatshop with no communication with the people around you.
Pros
Somehow being able to make it through the day without wanting to shoot myself
Cons
Everything, especially the TA
Loved it
Admin Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 September 2016
This place was a great place to work, only left because I was relocating and hadn't been there a year. Would recommend this place to anyone.
Bonne environnement de travail
Assistante service clientèle (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC22 August 2016
Ils ne sont pas parfait, mais c'est une belle entreprise.
Beaucoup d'amis.
Superviseur gentil.
Quiet office
Health Center Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK15 June 2016
A typical day at work involved typing, faxing, making files for patients,organization.
I learned multiple computer programs that I have not used in years.
I worked in an office with my boss and myself.
The hardest part of my job was trying to understand what my boss wanted from me.
The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting will people who came to the office for treatment.
Pros
Quiet rooms for breaks.
Cons
Was not always able to get my breaks
Every day Duties
Corporate Switchboard Operator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 June 2016
The experience has been positive as far as a team environment goes, however the department had a lot office politics, and favoritism. I learnt how to make it a positive experience but as a workplace environment and experiencing poor management from the executive point of view- it was difficult to try to maintain an atmosphere for growth within the company due to the poor management of others on a corporate level. I enjoyed the job and the people but I do feel as though our team was mistreated and left unsupported when we needed it. My co-workers were wonderful, the job was fulfilling and easy to learn. The hardest part of the job was dealing with negative atmospheres created by employees around us. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a close knit team and the callers I got to help on a daily basis.
Pros
5th floor cafe
Cons
Poor Management services from our leaders
Je m'ennuie
AGENT DE SAISIE DE DONNEES / SOUTIEN ADMINISTRATIF (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC2 May 2016
Le travail ne me convient pas, je ne peux pas laisser libre court à mes prises d'initiatives, mes idées ou même mon avis. J'ai besoin de beaucoup plus de liberté pour m'épanouir.
Pros
Horaires flexibles
Cons
Management, répétition des tâches

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great West. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval