Great West

Great West Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
it was a good place to work
coordinator Records Management (Former Employee), Regina, saskJune 22, 2015
Pros: people
Cons: salary
I managed a large file room.
eventually the division was moved to the U.S. and all files needed to be scanned which I managed. the files were prepped, scanned, and indexed.
it was a very large project of 75,000 files.
flexible working hours
Rehabilitation Consultant (Current Employee), Hamilton - Niagara RegionJune 18, 2015
Pros: work from home
great company
contracts do end without the possibility of renewal
great training program
flexible working hours but must have the experience and the ability to work independently with minimal supervision in order to be successful working from a home based job
Large Organization
Client Service Coordinator (Current Employee), London, ONJune 12, 2015
Pros: Fantastic Christmas Bonuses
Cons: No support by management - employees are never asked for feedback.
I work with some very good co-workers
Very busy high stress environment.
Management is never out of their offices to support staff members.
Dealing with unreliable team mates.
Knowing that I helped and resolved an issue for the person on the other side of the phone or email.
Challenging,rewarding
Corporate Counsel (Former Employee), EdmontonMarch 21, 2015
Pros: salary, environment, training, travel
Cons: bureaucracy
They treat their employees very well. We had a base plus salary,expense accounts and corporate training and trips. The work environment was relaxed ,but professional. Typical day was nine to five,no weekends. I learned that there are bright people who do not work in Law firms,which is contrary to what most lawyers believe.My colleagues wet some of the finest tax advisors in Canada and were a wealth of information,always willing to help. the most enjoyable part of the job was creating exit strategies for business owners.
Liked what I did
Claims Processor (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBMarch 17, 2015
Pros: bonuses
Cons: productivity goals
Poor productivity levels required by management to the employees. Excellent bonus pay. Good vacation pay/days. Half day off with pay for your birthday. Very good benefit packages.
Great place for managers
Administration/Receptionist (Former Employee), Winnipeg, ManitobaMarch 17, 2015
Pros: Great dental plan
Cons: Can't make a single mistake
Typical Day at work

Very tight deadlines
Lots of data entry
No room for error

Like any large company, depends on the person
I had one amazing manager
Most only looked at one side of the story
Great company to work for!
Senior BI Specialist (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 22, 2015
it has a great vibe and the nicest staff. Things are handled so professionally and in a relaxed manner. Not to say that they don't work hard because they do! Great communication between management and individuals. Everyone has an open door policy.
If you follow the dress code and attendance and do what you are supposed to do there is nothing that could go wrong.!
Welcoming atmosphere
Administrative Support (Former Employee), London, ONNovember 24, 2014
Pros: fun social holiday events
Great West Life has a great social aspect to the work day. Social activities make the day feel light and cheery.
worked there for over 14 years
Senior Claims (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBOctober 22, 2014
Worked there for years trained within the company however not very may pay raises and if your quality and quanity was not up to snuff you needed to explain to the head supervisor's desk on a weekly basis. I've have to learned not to trust people from working there and that hard work doesn't always pay off.
Great West Life
Sr. Administration Assistant (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 18, 2014
Pros: flex hours and compressed days
Cons: not enough staff
Busy
The people are great to work with
Management is difficult
The hardest part of the job is too get your work done when the workload is unmanageable
When your co-workers appreciate the small things you have done for them
Management need to gain people skills
Medical Claims Examiner (Former Employee), Regina, SKSeptember 26, 2014
Pros: they had a cafeteria.
Cons: bad management
For the amount of knowledge you are expected to understand, you are paid very poorly. I worked on complex claims, and we were not allowed to ask questions. We were not allowed to talk to fellow employees. We were expected to have 0 errors and high speed in entering claims. How could you effectively do your job when you have questions? This would reduce productivity, increase stress and make a very unhappy workforce.
Great fun workplace
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 6, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: low pay
9am-5pm job, great staff and fun work environment. Free lunch every week and laid back atmosphere. Excellent company to work for.
Trial period
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), London, ONAugust 19, 2014
Pros: co-workers
Cons: location
Good people
I wasn't there long to get an idea of management
I wanted to try working at the insurance industry
An enjoyable work place but with below average salary/benefits
Workforce (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBJuly 7, 2014
A wonderful place to work with great co-workers and a healthy work/life balance atmosphere. Greatest challenge is their lack of industry competitive salaries and benefits.
Productive , fast and Chilled
Business Administrator (Operations) (Former Employee), Regina , SKMay 23, 2014
A typical Corporate Backend Operations and Business Administration Job with peace and no Non sense involved. Chilled out , relaxed , sweet and Computers.
What I liked at GWL
Pl. Fin. (Former Employee), Montreal, QcMay 6, 2014
Pros: flexibility, no limits on income, ownership of clientele, freedom to work with every financial institution.
Cons: lack of integrity and transparency
I worked from home and met clients in their home or work place; so, I did not have co-workers per say,
Staff was very kind and always willing to help.
What I learned was external to the company on the most part.
Most enjoyable was the flexibility to work when, where, and with whom I wanted, and to make the income I determined every year.
Very stifling and poor work conditions
Disability Case Manager (Former Employee), British ColumbiaFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: steady job
Cons: long hours, poor benefits, stifling atmosphere, regimented hours, too much work
Considering this is an insurance company the employee benefits package is very basic, whilst it markets work life balance it's flextime program is far from flexible, expect a lot of productivity controls if you work here, expect to have more work than you can realistically achieve, expect to sit at your cubicle and work long hours without recognition. There is little opportunity for advancement, education is not supported or promoted, co workers will police your time of arrival, departure, breaks, personal calls, etc in an effort to curry favour with management that provides inconsistent feedback, poor support, and poor communication.
Productive and fun work environment
Switchboard Operator (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBFebruary 5, 2014
Although the position I'm in is very limiting to the ability of being away from the phones, you are given plenty of freedom to keep yourself focused and or entertained. Very repetitive chores, but still opportunities to grow and learn.
Former employee
Claims Processor (Former Employee), WinnipegJanuary 20, 2014
Just recently left GWL as a claims processor and a co-worker was let go due to not meeting expectations. Stress of meeting their expectations was too much. When they took my co-worker to another office to meet with HR to let her know the news, they packed up her desk and handed everything to her in a plastic garbage bag. Very classy. 3 weeks of training and god help you if you struggle when you hit the floor. Weekly meetings about how poorly you are doing but as you improve it doesn't matter. It still isn't what they expect.
A diverse multiculture and a productive company to work with
IT Security Analyst (ISO) (Former Employee), Winnipeg, ManitobaOctober 30, 2013
Pros: iso officers and security analyst meetings and discussions
Cons: long hours of extra work in security site development
A typical day at work is managing major security incidents for specific sites by actively monitoring vulnerabilities and exploits and taking appropriate decision in a timely manner. Provide professional security expertise to business, I.S. management and technology by conducting security vulnerability and risk assessment and identifying security solutions. Work with complex issues and investigations where a variety of specialized techniques and methods are applied and may not be always standardized and prescribed.
I have learned a lot about the industry infrastructure and specially the culture. I have provided guidance and training to some I.S. staff in and out of our department.
We have a healthy relationship in the ISO and we have a lot of respect with each other.
Their are a few challenges/tasks that I have encountered and one of those is by creating the EDIR security database structure and web application from ground up.
The most enjoyable part of the job are the challenges, complexity and entirety as a whole,

1 2 3

About Great West

Great-West Financial helps millions of Americans, their companies and employers build greater financial security. Headquartered – Read more

Great West Photos