Great West Employee Reviews

Sub-par
Sales Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 March 2017
-Sales associates do not follow up with sales management
-Very behind with technology (paper oriented, very hard to manage)
-Marketing is outdated
-They are not creative with their industry approach (Second mover)
-Culture within the office is below average
-Salary the organization will take advantage of you if you are new
-Benefits within the organization are incredible
Cons
They take everything for granted
A place to retire
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 January 2017
The company is way behind the times in the IT world. But is not interested in really moving forward.

Cost savings through off shoring is a key priority, even though they acknowledge the impact on costs, and delivery.

If you are late in your career and want to relax and retire great option.

If you are young or in your middle career, you will find yourself bored and frustrated.

Co-workers are great

Excellent staff sponsored events.

For such a large company, and an Insurance company. Benefits are very poor, and sub par to the industry.

Lots of Navel gazing.
stuffy
Insurance Contact Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, Manitoba2 March 2017
Management did nothing except sit in their cubicles and listen in on calls. Not every call is going to be a positive one and they would pick out the negative ones to jump down your throat. It was a constant babysitting atmosphere being told exactly what to do when to do it. No respect for their employees.
Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Toronto, On4 December 2016
The typical day at work is routine. I have learned certain things like looking at the tooth X-ray, learned how to read contracts, stipulations of company insurance policies. Management is supportive with what your plans are, co worker are mostly became your friends.
Pros
you get day off every three weeks on friday.
Cons
The progress is really limited.
Great place to work.
provider Maintenence Processor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 March 2017
Great West Life is a great place to work because the management does care about their staff. They care about the family/work balance and encourage it. They are also very approachable. Great West also provides a fitness center for it's employees to use.
Quiet office
Health Center Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK15 June 2016
A typical day at work involved typing, faxing, making files for patients,organization.
I learned multiple computer programs that I have not used in years.
I worked in an office with my boss and myself.
The hardest part of my job was trying to understand what my boss wanted from me.
The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting will people who came to the office for treatment.
Pros
Quiet rooms for breaks.
Cons
Was not always able to get my breaks
Every day Duties
Corporate Switchboard Operator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 June 2016
The experience has been positive as far as a team environment goes, however the department had a lot office politics, and favoritism. I learnt how to make it a positive experience but as a workplace environment and experiencing poor management from the executive point of view- it was difficult to try to maintain an atmosphere for growth within the company due to the poor management of others on a corporate level. I enjoyed the job and the people but I do feel as though our team was mistreated and left unsupported when we needed it. My co-workers were wonderful, the job was fulfilling and easy to learn. The hardest part of the job was dealing with negative atmospheres created by employees around us. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a close knit team and the callers I got to help on a daily basis.
Pros
5th floor cafe
Cons
Poor Management services from our leaders
Loved it
Admin Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 September 2016
This place was a great place to work, only left because I was relocating and hadn't been there a year. Would recommend this place to anyone.
Overall a good place to grow from
(Site Supervisor) In-House Sr. Security (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 April 2016
- My work day was 8 hours which is rare in the security industry. On a 2 week rotation of days and evenings.
-I learned more skills in the construction and cctv electronic set up.
-My co-workers were contract security where I was In-house.
-The hardest part was the skill and education levels of the contract security. Also dealing with Management that viewed security in a lesser capacity.
-I enjoyed helping customers in various calls for service.
Pros
Very little micro management
Cons
No room for laterial growth
Alright if your nerves can handle it...
Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 February 2016
The Claims area is basically a white collar sweat shop. Productivity expectations are extremely high and they regularly keep raising the bar. The company only wants "super stars". If you're an average worker you're gradually looked upon as less favourable. Error report notes are gradual nails in your work coffin. No talking allowed on the work floor, unless it's with a supervisor. Favourtism is regularly applied to those they like. Every unit always seemed to have at least one person who was on stress leave. I had to leave under a medical quit as my doctor deemed that the stress levels I was on were hazardous to my health. "Abandon hope all ye who enter here..."
Pros
Regular employment
Cons
Extreme stress, belittling by supervisors
Interesting
Bilingual Customer Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 April 2016
In a company where individuals are valued, the customer relations team is less made up of individuals but more a group of numbers.
When you are well liked by your team leader you will see advancement opportunities and training up to new levels regularly. When you are not liked by your team leader you will be stuck.
In my case, after getting a new team leader, I was prevented from moving up and off of the phones. I was proficient in French and understanding different accents. I could put french speakers at ease and did a great job representing the company over the phone. This was not an asset for me. It prevented advancement.
However, I was able to get to know and understand the inner workings of the company and see the potential if working in any other department. I still value the experience I gained while at GWL and would gladly call it my "work-home" in the future as long as it was in another department.
Pros
great benefits, opportunities for education, benefits
Cons
no advancement, long hours
Pays the Bills
Senior Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 February 2016
Hours are too long, have made good friends. The variety of tasks to perform in any given day make it interesting. Many ongoing changes continue to make it challenging.
Pros
Addition of Personal Days
Cons
Long hours unpaid overtime.
Fast-paced & friendly work environment.
Operations Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 September 2015
The Operations Associate role offers a variety of work including replying to various e-mail queries, processing invoices and staff expenses, organizing and sending out mail and numerous other tasks; while greeting clients and co-workers at the Front Desk and answering incoming telephone lines.

Each day is never quite the same which keeps the job interesting and the days go by quickly. There is a platform for problem solving when faced with quick decision making and supporting the team.

The people are friendly and collaborate well as a team. We also help support other employees located in branch offices throughout the Province of BC.
Pros
United Way Compaigns & Social Events
Cons
Keepin up with ever changing deadlines.
Good work environment and helpful coworkers
Senior Java Developer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 February 2016
Good company with a lot of different divisions
so lots of opportunity to move around.
Willing to teach.
Compensation seems good with solid benefits
Good place to work and people are very lovely.
Data Entry Processor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg26 July 2015
I usually handle Data Entry Processing on a day-to-day basis, and with that I also ensure that all information needed for an application is present, to be entered more efficiently. I have learned a lot about what goes into a single application up to the point of it being issued to clients. Also perform contract audits prior to issuance of policies being applied for. I appreciate my colleagues as well as my team leader. I admire the transparency at work that's very important to me. There isn't really anything hard about my current posting. Most enjoyable part would be unusual situations and difficulties that come with the job and welcome all challenges head on.
Pros
Great freebies, fun place to work and good benefits for employees
Cons
Nothing bad to say
Former Senior Claims Examiner
Senior Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg Mb8 August 2015
You have to meet deadlines and they are expected of you, however when doing harder work in my time there you were able to write down time spent on complex claims.
I think that ergonomics needs to be looked at more for a healthier work station. I feel Management does pick favourites but I went into the job to make people happy.
I didn't get involved in the office politics.
I was used to productivity so that was easy.
Training was great.
Staff are good. A little to much meetings and yes they take up to much time, however when I was there you took the time off and your productivity should not be hard to meet
Overall for a private company I felt it was a great place to work
Pros
Making clients happy. Good benefits, vacation pk., and you do get paid for sick.
Cons
Not good on ergonomics. Demanding and scare tactics cause failure.
Large Organization
Client Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  London, ON12 June 2015
I work with some very good co-workers
Very busy high stress environment.
Management is never out of their offices to support staff members.
Dealing with unreliable team mates.
Knowing that I helped and resolved an issue for the person on the other side of the phone or email.
Pros
Fantastic Christmas Bonuses
Cons
No support by management - employees are never asked for feedback.
Challenging,rewarding
Corporate Counsel (Former Employee) –  Edmonton21 March 2015
They treat their employees very well. We had a base plus salary,expense accounts and corporate training and trips. The work environment was relaxed ,but professional. Typical day was nine to five,no weekends. I learned that there are bright people who do not work in Law firms,which is contrary to what most lawyers believe.My colleagues wet some of the finest tax advisors in Canada and were a wealth of information,always willing to help. the most enjoyable part of the job was creating exit strategies for business owners.
Pros
Salary, environment, training, travel
Cons
Bureaucracy
Claims Processor
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg21 July 2015
The productivity/accuracy expectations are too high. They give you a 1 year trial to hit the goals. If you aren't hitting them they let you go, very stressful.

They even let some people go before the one year was up if they fell too far behind. Only about half the people from my training class were kept after 1 year.

You are still basically learning stuff after 3-4 months, so it's more like only 9 months to meet very high work expectations.

Not much warning when they let you go, just take you into an office one morning and pack up your stuff for you.

I received only one week of severance pay (the bare minimum allowed), and you won't be able to collect EI either, because it was a probationary contract.

A very bad situation to be in after a full year of hard work.

Pay was also mediocre ($14/hr) considering the amount of training and knowledge required for the job.
Pros
Friendly, nice staff and co-workers
Cons
Expectations too high
Management need to gain people skills
Medical Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK26 September 2014
For the amount of knowledge you are expected to understand, you are paid very poorly. I worked on complex claims, and we were not allowed to ask questions. We were not allowed to talk to fellow employees. We were expected to have 0 errors and high speed in entering claims. How could you effectively do your job when you have questions? This would reduce productivity, increase stress and make a very unhappy workforce.
Pros
They had a cafeteria.
Cons
Bad management

55%