Great West Employee Reviews

A True Review of GWL
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 11, 2013
A typical day at work involved being isolated at a computer, in a cubicle, doing highly repetitive work. As a Claims Processor you are given sufficient training, however the practice time is not enough before you hit the floor. The computer systems are out of date, therefore searching for information is tedious which increases the chance of mistakes.
I found the management condescending and witnessed a lot of passive aggressive talking down to employees who were not deemed "super stars". There is a quota to meet and quality expectations which reflect on your team, so they are constantly having meetings about your performance. This would be acceptable except for the weekly meeting in which they hand you a quality certificate ceremoniously in front of your other teammates, much in the same way a mother would give her favorite child a treat. I'm sure it's suppose to be positive but it feels demeaning and embarrassing.
If you are okay with repetitive, uninspiring work and like to work alone than this job is okay. The job itself is much like working in a factory but with the front of a professional environment. The pay is average, but with all the deductions they rope you into, including their pricey insurance, which you can only opt out of during the month of May (unfortunate if you start after that), you end up making significantly less than your wage (approx $2/hr). Also you are not paid for your 1/2 hr of lunch and are expected to come in and make up time missed from Dr.'s appt's etc. (no big deal, just something to consider).
The main building is beautiful and they take you
  more... for a tour of the restaurant (5 star chef), gym (brand new, cheap but not free membership), Tim Hortons, art gallery, nurses station, and solarium on the first day. After the tour of the beautiful facilities (which house management and upper administrative offices), they ship you off to their satellite location downtown which is only accessible by bus as parking is too expensive. Thus, by the time you finish work (8 hrs/more if you take OT), you must take two buses to get to the main building. Most people never see the main building, or the beautiful amenities that are housed there, after the first day.
I was surprised to see so many positive reviews of this company on Indeed and suspect that they must have been written by people with higher level jobs or by HR themselves.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the clean and well maintained building and the training staff. The main building would have been nice if I would have had time to access it.
Pros
clean and professional environment.
Cons
patronizing management, low pay, factory like conditions, uninspiring work, company is stingy/tight pocketed.
Great West Life was a little fish swimming in a big Insurance pond
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto,ONSeptember 17, 2013
Great West Life is a great company however was very rigid with the employees ( limited flexibility with work/life consideration) .
I had to sign on at 9:00am promptly I could not deviate by one second. however if the call should exceed 5:00 pm there was no compensation or appreciation for the extra time unless the call exceeded 20 minutes.
The Verbiage was so rigid that I was dinged for saying have a nice day instead of a solid good by at the end of the call.
I was shocked that they adapted to a very cold uncaring manner on a call rather then a friendly caring manner. .
I felt that after working for Sun Life financial I could not stop comparing the two companies and felt that Great West Life was a very little fish swimming in a very big Insurance pond and could not match to the level of professionalism Sun Life Financial offered.
Management was not supportive of the employees never gave us the
benefit of the doubt.
I was accused of hanging up on a caller when that was not the case I searched and found PROOF to the contrary and when the proof was provided I did not receive the apology I was awarded.
They have a week training team and Managers.
My co-workers were friendly and worked with their heads down low to keep out of managements radar.
I didn't like the way the people where treated there.
The best part of the job was the pleasant co-workers( excluding
management) people felt very depreciated in this company.
Pros
the best part of the job was the pleasant co-workers( excluding
Cons
people (i) felt very depreciated in this company.
A diverse multiculture and a productive company to work with
IT Security Analyst (ISO) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, ManitobaOctober 30, 2013
A typical day at work is managing major security incidents for specific sites by actively monitoring vulnerabilities and exploits and taking appropriate decision in a timely manner. Provide professional security expertise to business, I.S. management and technology by conducting security vulnerability and risk assessment and identifying security solutions. Work with complex issues and investigations where a variety of specialized techniques and methods are applied and may not be always standardized and prescribed.
I have learned a lot about the industry infrastructure and specially the culture. I have provided guidance and training to some I.S. staff in and out of our department.
We have a healthy relationship in the ISO and we have a lot of respect with each other.
Their are a few challenges/tasks that I have encountered and one of those is by creating the EDIR security database structure and web application from ground up.
The most enjoyable part of the job are the challenges, complexity and entirety as a whole,
Pros
iso officers and security analyst meetings and discussions
Cons
long hours of extra work in security site development
Claims Processor
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  WinnipegJuly 21, 2015
The productivity/accuracy expectations are too high. They give you a 1 year trial to hit the goals. If you aren't hitting them they let you go, very stressful.

They even let some people go before the one year was up if they fell too far behind. Only about half the people from my training class were kept after 1 year.

You are still basically learning stuff after 3-4 months, so it's more like only 9 months to meet very high work expectations.

Not much warning when they let you go, just take you into an office one morning and pack up your stuff for you.

I received only one week of severance pay (the bare minimum allowed), and you won't be able to collect EI either, because it was a probationary contract.

A very bad situation to be in after a full year of hard work.

Pay was also mediocre ($14/hr) considering the amount of training and knowledge required for the job.
Pros
Friendly, nice staff and co-workers
Cons
Expectations too high
Former Senior Claims Examiner
Senior Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg MbAugust 8, 2015
You have to meet deadlines and they are expected of you, however when doing harder work in my time there you were able to write down time spent on complex claims.
I think that ergonomics needs to be looked at more for a healthier work station. I feel Management does pick favourites but I went into the job to make people happy.
I didn't get involved in the office politics.
I was used to productivity so that was easy.
Training was great.
Staff are good. A little to much meetings and yes they take up to much time, however when I was there you took the time off and your productivity should not be hard to meet
Overall for a private company I felt it was a great place to work
Pros
Making clients happy. Good benefits, vacation pk., and you do get paid for sick.
Cons
Not good on ergonomics. Demanding and scare tactics cause failure.
Good place to work and people are very lovely.
Data Entry Processor (Current Employee) –  WinnipegJuly 26, 2015
I usually handle Data Entry Processing on a day-to-day basis, and with that I also ensure that all information needed for an application is present, to be entered more efficiently. I have learned a lot about what goes into a single application up to the point of it being issued to clients. Also perform contract audits prior to issuance of policies being applied for. I appreciate my colleagues as well as my team leader. I admire the transparency at work that's very important to me. There isn't really anything hard about my current posting. Most enjoyable part would be unusual situations and difficulties that come with the job and welcome all challenges head on.
Pros
Great freebies, fun place to work and good benefits for employees
Cons
Nothing bad to say
Fast-paced & friendly work environment.
Operations Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 20, 2015
The Operations Associate role offers a variety of work including replying to various e-mail queries, processing invoices and staff expenses, organizing and sending out mail and numerous other tasks; while greeting clients and co-workers at the Front Desk and answering incoming telephone lines.

Each day is never quite the same which keeps the job interesting and the days go by quickly. There is a platform for problem solving when faced with quick decision making and supporting the team.

The people are friendly and collaborate well as a team. We also help support other employees located in branch offices throughout the Province of BC.
Pros
United Way Compaigns & Social Events
Cons
Keepin up with ever changing deadlines.
Administrative Coordinator
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, ONFebruary 12, 2013
• Contract position with The People Bank
• Process paper work for clients by filling out forms for various registered plans, segregated and mutual funds keep all paper work up to date
• Provide excellent customer service by taking calls from clients and advisors and solve their problems on phone and in person when they visit the advisor. Meet with the clients to discuss their basic needs before they see the advisor.
• Set up appointments for clients so they can meet Financial Advisor and discuss their financial situations and make further investments and print downloads.
• Use various softwares to access mutual funds and investments for clients, switch and transfer various accounts for clients on their request
• Distribution of mail and filing all the clients’ statements on regular basis
• Worked on Know Your Client (KYC) re-review organized by London Life and audit files for the project
Pros
free lunches
Cons
no permanent position
Very stifling and poor work conditions
Disability Case Manager (Former Employee) –  British ColumbiaFebruary 18, 2014
Considering this is an insurance company the employee benefits package is very basic, whilst it markets work life balance it's flextime program is far from flexible, expect a lot of productivity controls if you work here, expect to have more work than you can realistically achieve, expect to sit at your cubicle and work long hours without recognition. There is little opportunity for advancement, education is not supported or promoted, co workers will police your time of arrival, departure, breaks, personal calls, etc in an effort to curry favour with management that provides inconsistent feedback, poor support, and poor communication.
Pros
steady job
Cons
long hours, poor benefits, stifling atmosphere, regimented hours, too much work
Very accomodating and fun loving atmosphere
Book keeping Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 20, 2012
This is an MGA for Insurance. I have been working with them for some time now though only part time. , I can go whenever and do my data entry, account payable and account recieveable work. I even do their filing work, handle their faxes, call the advisors and I work 2-3 days and that too for 2-3 hours so they have made it flexible for me to come anytime between ten to six.
The Staff is so good and helpful and I look forward to the next day.
The Manager is a gem of a person.
As I am a licensed Insurance Advisor I understnd their work and I enjoy it too.
Challenging,rewarding
Corporate Counsel (Former Employee) –  EdmontonMarch 21, 2015
They treat their employees very well. We had a base plus salary,expense accounts and corporate training and trips. The work environment was relaxed ,but professional. Typical day was nine to five,no weekends. I learned that there are bright people who do not work in Law firms,which is contrary to what most lawyers believe.My colleagues wet some of the finest tax advisors in Canada and were a wealth of information,always willing to help. the most enjoyable part of the job was creating exit strategies for business owners.
Pros
salary, environment, training, travel
Cons
bureaucracy
Former employee
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  WinnipegJanuary 20, 2014
Just recently left GWL as a claims processor and a co-worker was let go due to not meeting expectations. Stress of meeting their expectations was too much. When they took my co-worker to another office to meet with HR to let her know the news, they packed up her desk and handed everything to her in a plastic garbage bag. Very classy. 3 weeks of training and god help you if you struggle when you hit the floor. Weekly meetings about how poorly you are doing but as you improve it doesn't matter. It still isn't what they expect.
good job
Claims Examiner (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKJanuary 3, 2013
I feel that working at Great West Life is a good job. The pay is good, and the work is constant. The benefits are excellent.
I would process claims either in paper or electronically. There is a lot of reading involved as every company has different types of policies. I would read the policy and compare the information in the claim and assess it accordingly. The supervisors are good. The co-workers are friendly. Generally, you work independently so there isn't any teamwork necessary for my position. The hardest part of the job is to be as accurate and as fast as you can be. The most enjoyable part of the job is freedom to work independently.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
parking
Great place to work aside from less oppertunity of advancment
Cleaner/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 14, 2012
started out working with a great team. From Senior management to My co-workers. one of the senior management personnel left, and as did the rest leaving just me. After almost a year exactly it being there I was called by an old coworker, who offered me the position with Transglobe and wage increase. This job here with GWL, was great in most aspects aside from wage.
Pros
mountain view, 2 bedroom, on call every second weekend.
Cons
wage, recognizing my accomplishments.
Great work environment with emphasis on respectful treatment of employees and encouragement for professional development. Excellent!!!!
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 19, 2013
I was employed by Great West Life, Disability Division on a term assignment through Diversified Staffing. Although my position was of an Administrative support nature, I was treated with thorough respect and professionalism by the Case Managers and Management. I was treated as if I were a permanent employee from my first day and was made to feel as I were an integral part of the team. Even though it was a relatively fast paced work environment, there was always time for a smile and a little fun.
Great Company
Senior Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJuly 26, 2012
Worked over 17 years, advancement was good, pay could have been better. Not unionized or covered by workers comp. Management changed alot due to production numbers with sales. Coworkers were great. Hardest part of job was changing as the industry changed. Enjoyed helping my clients who appreciated all I did for them. Miss this job alot.
Pros
travel throughout ns
Cons
you had to work hard to get advancement.
What I liked at GWL
Pl. Fin. (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QcMay 6, 2014
I worked from home and met clients in their home or work place; so, I did not have co-workers per say,
Staff was very kind and always willing to help.
What I learned was external to the company on the most part.
Most enjoyable was the flexibility to work when, where, and with whom I wanted, and to make the income I determined every year.
Pros
flexibility, no limits on income, ownership of clientele, freedom to work with every financial institution.
Cons
lack of integrity and transparency
Management need to gain people skills
Medical Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKSeptember 26, 2014
For the amount of knowledge you are expected to understand, you are paid very poorly. I worked on complex claims, and we were not allowed to ask questions. We were not allowed to talk to fellow employees. We were expected to have 0 errors and high speed in entering claims. How could you effectively do your job when you have questions? This would reduce productivity, increase stress and make a very unhappy workforce.
Pros
they had a cafeteria.
Cons
bad management
Great atmosphere, safe and wonderful management
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBDecember 27, 2012
Great-West Life is probably one of the best companies that I have ever worked for. The employees are treated with respect and compensated well. The physical structure of the building is strategically located, and the surrounding atmosphere is very welcoming. You are truly going to be a proud employee of this company.
Pros
great working condition
Cons
parking downtown is difficult to secure if you are new, the in-house parking is by seniority.
Productive and supportive environment
Claims Processor (Data Entry, term) (Former Employee) –  WinnipegSeptember 27, 2012
A typical day involved sorting of claims and data entry.
I learned about insurance benefits, and medical and dental coverage
Management was supportive and very hands on when it came to helping employees excel and in creating a stress free envioronment
Coworkers were outgoing and friendly
The hardest part of the job was the monotonous nature of the work
The most enjoyable part of the job was the sense of accomplishment
Pros
lots of room for advancement, low stress environment
Cons
the monotonous nature of the work