Great West

Great West Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
An enjoyable work place but with below average salary/benefits
Workforce (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBJuly 7, 2014
A wonderful place to work with great co-workers and a healthy work/life balance atmosphere. Greatest challenge is their lack of industry competitive salaries and benefits.
Productive , fast and Chilled
Business Administrator (Operations) (Former Employee), Regina , SKMay 23, 2014
A typical Corporate Backend Operations and Business Administration Job with peace and no Non sense involved. Chilled out , relaxed , sweet and Computers.
Very professional
Project Team Member (Former Employee), WinnipegMarch 24, 2014
Easy place to work for , great culture . Would recommend to work here .
Very stifling and poor work conditions
Disability Case Manager (Former Employee), British ColumbiaFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: steady job
Cons: long hours, poor benefits, stifling atmosphere, regimented hours, too much work
Considering this is an insurance company the employee benefits package is very basic, whilst it markets work life balance it's flextime program is far from flexible, expect a lot of productivity controls if you work here, expect to have more work than you can realistically achieve, expect to sit at your cubicle and work long hours without recognition. – more... There is little opportunity for advancement, education is not supported or promoted, co workers will police your time of arrival, departure, breaks, personal calls, etc in an effort to curry favour with management that provides inconsistent feedback, poor support, and poor communication. – less
Productive and fun work environment
Switchboard Operator (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBFebruary 5, 2014
Although the position I'm in is very limiting to the ability of being away from the phones, you are given plenty of freedom to keep yourself focused and or entertained. Very repetitive chores, but still opportunities to grow and learn.
Former employee
Claims Processor (Former Employee), WinnipegJanuary 20, 2014
Just recently left GWL as a claims processor and a co-worker was let go due to not meeting expectations. Stress of meeting their expectations was too much. When they took my co-worker to another office to meet with HR to let her know the news, they packed up her desk and handed everything to her in a plastic garbage bag. Very classy. 3 weeks of training – more... and god help you if you struggle when you hit the floor. Weekly meetings about how poorly you are doing but as you improve it doesn't matter. It still isn't what they expect. – less
A diverse multiculture and a productive company to work with
IT Security Analyst (ISO) (Former Employee), Winnipeg, ManitobaOctober 30, 2013
Pros: iso officers and security analyst meetings and discussions
Cons: long hours of extra work in security site development
A typical day at work is managing major security incidents for specific sites by actively monitoring vulnerabilities and exploits and taking appropriate decision in a timely manner. Provide professional security expertise to business, I.S. management and technology by conducting security vulnerability and risk assessment and identifying security solutions. – more... Work with complex issues and investigations where a variety of specialized techniques and methods are applied and may not be always standardized and prescribed.
I have learned a lot about the industry infrastructure and specially the culture. I have provided guidance and training to some I.S. staff in and out of our department.
We have a healthy relationship in the ISO and we have a lot of respect with each other.
Their are a few challenges/tasks that I have encountered and one of those is by creating the EDIR security database structure and web application from ground up.
The most enjoyable part of the job are the challenges, complexity and entirety as a whole, – less
Engaging and fun environment
Sr. Client Service Assistant, Employee Benefits (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 5, 2013
Every day at work goes by quickly. The continuing education benefits are great, I have taken a number of courses and also earned a designation while working for this company. It is great to be surrounded by co-workers that have been with the company for most of their career.
Good workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), winnipeg, mbSeptember 30, 2013
Duties include the handling of client calls in a polite, professional and timely manner. As well as the knowledge to give out correct benefit coverage information on a variety of products and services, in order to answer client questions correctly, every time, the first time. Having a pleasant tone of voice is also very important in managing customer – more... experiences, and making sure the clients are fully satisfied with the level of assistance they received. Through working in such an environment, I have developed a sense of patience that I have carried forward from the workplace into my personal life. – less
Poor management, no room for advancement, poor salary structure
Group Benefits (Former Employee), TorontoSeptember 28, 2013
Pros: meeting friends amidst the very stressful work environment
Cons: imagine buying your own supply of water and hand sanitizers inspite of the low salary.
Worst company in terms of employee appreciation. Most reports generated are false and deceiving. Worst Manager and Supervisors because they don't know the real ethics and technicalities of the work on the floor.
Great company with sound reputation
Financial Analyst (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBSeptember 20, 2013
People are happy working there. Employees were encouraged to find and solve problems on their own. Fun environment with high efficiency.
Great West Life was a little fish swimming in a big Insurance pond
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Toronto,ONSeptember 17, 2013
Pros: the best part of the job was the pleasant co-workers( excluding
Cons: people (i) felt very depreciated in this company.
Great West Life is a great company however was very rigid with the employees ( limited flexibility with work/life consideration) .
I had to sign on at 9:00am promptly I could not deviate by one second. however if the call should exceed 5:00 pm there was no compensation or appreciation for the extra time unless the call exceeded 20 minutes.
The Verbiage – more... was so rigid that I was dinged for saying have a nice day instead of a solid good by at the end of the call.
I was shocked that they adapted to a very cold uncaring manner on a call rather then a friendly caring manner. .
I felt that after working for Sun Life financial I could not stop comparing the two companies and felt that Great West Life was a very little fish swimming in a very big Insurance pond and could not match to the level of professionalism Sun Life Financial offered.
Management was not supportive of the employees never gave us the
benefit of the doubt.
I was accused of hanging up on a caller when that was not the case I searched and found PROOF to the contrary and when the proof was provided I did not receive the apology I was awarded.
They have a week training team and Managers.
My co-workers were friendly and worked with their heads down low to keep out of managements radar.
I didn't like the way the people where treated there.
The best part of the job was the pleasant co-workers( excluding
management) people felt very depreciated in this company. – less
Challenging work in a team environment
Case Manager (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCSeptember 12, 2013
Pros: training
Cons: workload
Training was the best part of the company. They did their best to ensure that the employees were trained and prepared for the work ahead. The work was challenging and could be rewarding. The workload could be a challenge at times
Great work environment with emphasis on respectful treatment of employees and encouragement for professional development. Excellent!!!!
Administrative Support (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 19, 2013
I was employed by Great West Life, Disability Division on a term assignment through Diversified Staffing. Although my position was of an Administrative support nature, I was treated with thorough respect and professionalism by the Case Managers and Management. I was treated as if I were a permanent employee from my first day and was made to feel as – more... I were an integral part of the team. Even though it was a relatively fast paced work environment, there was always time for a smile and a little fun. – less
A True Review of GWL
Claims Processor (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 11, 2013
Pros: clean and professional environment.
Cons: patronizing management, low pay, factory like conditions, uninspiring work, company is stingy/tight pocketed.
A typical day at work involved being isolated at a computer, in a cubicle, doing highly repetitive work. As a Claims Processor you are given sufficient training, however the practice time is not enough before you hit the floor. The computer systems are out of date, therefore searching for information is tedious which increases the chance of mistakes.
I – more... found the management condescending and witnessed a lot of passive aggressive talking down to employees who were not deemed "super stars". There is a quota to meet and quality expectations which reflect on your team, so they are constantly having meetings about your performance. This would be acceptable except for the weekly meeting in which they hand you a quality certificate ceremoniously in front of your other teammates, much in the same way a mother would give her favorite child a treat. I'm sure it's suppose to be positive but it feels demeaning and embarrassing.
If you are okay with repetitive, uninspiring work and like to work alone than this job is okay. The job itself is much like working in a factory but with the front of a professional environment. The pay is average, but with all the deductions they rope you into, including their pricey insurance, which you can only opt out of during the month of May (unfortunate if you start after that), you end up making significantly less than your wage (approx $2/hr). Also you are not paid for your 1/2 hr of lunch and are expected to come in and make up time missed from Dr.'s appt's etc. (no big deal, just something to consider).
The main building is beautiful and they take you for a tour of the restaurant (5 star chef), gym (brand new, cheap but not free membership), Tim Hortons, art gallery, nurses station, and solarium on the first day. After the tour of the beautiful facilities (which house management and upper administrative offices), they ship you off to their satellite location downtown which is only accessible by bus as parking is too expensive. Thus, by the time you finish work (8 hrs/more if you take OT), you must take two buses to get to the main building. Most people never see the main building, or the beautiful amenities that are housed there, after the first day.
I was surprised to see so many positive reviews of this company on Indeed and suspect that they must have been written by people with higher level jobs or by HR themselves.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the clean and well maintained building and the training staff. The main building would have been nice if I would have had time to access it. – less
Administrative Coordinator
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee), Winnipeg, ONFebruary 12, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Cons: no permanent position
• Contract position with The People Bank
• Process paper work for clients by filling out forms for various registered plans, segregated and mutual funds keep all paper work up to date
• Provide excellent customer service by taking calls from clients and advisors and solve their problems on phone and in person when they visit the advisor. Meet with the – more... clients to discuss their basic needs before they see the advisor.
• Set up appointments for clients so they can meet Financial Advisor and discuss their financial situations and make further investments and print downloads.
• Use various softwares to access mutual funds and investments for clients, switch and transfer various accounts for clients on their request
• Distribution of mail and filing all the clients’ statements on regular basis
• Worked on Know Your Client (KYC) re-review organized by London Life and audit files for the project – less
Objectid oriented attitude
Spécialiste de gestion de Configuration (Former Employee), WinnipegJanuary 4, 2013
good management
friendly, helpful co-workers
overall enjoyable job task, including problem solving
good job
Claims Examiner (Current Employee), Regina, SKJanuary 3, 2013
Pros: excellent benefits
Cons: parking
I feel that working at Great West Life is a good job. The pay is good, and the work is constant. The benefits are excellent.
I would process claims either in paper or electronically. There is a lot of reading involved as every company has different types of policies. I would read the policy and compare the information in the claim and assess it accordingly. – more... The supervisors are good. The co-workers are friendly. Generally, you work independently so there isn't any teamwork necessary for my position. The hardest part of the job is to be as accurate and as fast as you can be. The most enjoyable part of the job is freedom to work independently. – less
Great atmosphere, safe and wonderful management
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBDecember 27, 2012
Pros: great working condition
Cons: parking downtown is difficult to secure if you are new, the in-house parking is by seniority.
Great-West Life is probably one of the best companies that I have ever worked for. The employees are treated with respect and compensated well. The physical structure of the building is strategically located, and the surrounding atmosphere is very welcoming. You are truly going to be a proud employee of this company.
Productive and supportive environment
Claims Processor (Data Entry, term) (Former Employee), WinnipegSeptember 27, 2012
Pros: lots of room for advancement, low stress environment
Cons: the monotonous nature of the work
A typical day involved sorting of claims and data entry.
I learned about insurance benefits, and medical and dental coverage
Management was supportive and very hands on when it came to helping employees excel and in creating a stress free envioronment
Coworkers were outgoing and friendly
The hardest part of the job was the monotonous nature of the work
The – more... most enjoyable part of the job was the sense of accomplishment – less

1 2 3 4

About Great West

Great-West FinancialSM helps millions of Americans, their companies and employers build greater financial security. Headquartered – Read more

Great West Photos