Great West Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Overall a good place to grow from
(Site Supervisor) In-House Sr. Security (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 13, 2016
Pros: Very little micro management
Cons: No room for laterial growth
- My work day was 8 hours which is rare in the security industry. On a 2 week rotation of days and evenings.
-I learned more skills in the construction and cctv electronic set up.
-My co-workers were contract security where I was In-house.
-The hardest part was the skill and education levels of the contract security. Also dealing with Management that viewed security in a lesser capacity.
-I enjoyed helping customers in various calls for service.
Alright if your nerves can handle it...
Claims Examiner (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBFebruary 23, 2016
Pros: Regular employment
Cons: Extreme stress, belittling by supervisors
The Claims area is basically a white collar sweat shop. Productivity expectations are extremely high and they regularly keep raising the bar. The company only wants "super stars". If you're an average worker you're gradually looked upon as less favourable. Error report notes are gradual nails in your work coffin. No talking allowed on the work floor, unless it's with a supervisor. Favourtism is regularly applied to those they like. Every unit always seemed to have at least one person who was on stress leave. I had to leave under a medical quit as my doctor deemed that the stress levels I was on were hazardous to my health. "Abandon hope all ye who enter here..."
Pays the Bills
Senior Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 15, 2016
Pros: Addition of Personal Days
Cons: Long hours unpaid overtime.
Hours are too long, have made good friends. The variety of tasks to perform in any given day make it interesting. Many ongoing changes continue to make it challenging.
Good work environment and helpful coworkers
Senior Java Developer (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBFebruary 8, 2016
Good company with a lot of different divisions
so lots of opportunity to move around.
Willing to teach.
Compensation seems good with solid benefits
Proactive and fun in big tennis - 3.5 level in double.
Building Operator (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCNovember 25, 2015
Servicing HVAC; taking tenancies calls
Maintaining log of operations
Chemical water treatment for swimming pool and spa; WHMS.
Fast-paced & friendly work environment.
Operations Associate (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCSeptember 20, 2015
Pros: United Way Compaigns & Social Events
Cons: Keepin up with ever changing deadlines.
The Operations Associate role offers a variety of work including replying to various e-mail queries, processing invoices and staff expenses, organizing and sending out mail and numerous other tasks; while greeting clients and co-workers at the Front Desk and answering incoming telephone lines.

Each day is never quite the same which keeps the job interesting and the days go by quickly. There is a platform for problem solving when faced with quick decision making and supporting the team.

The people are friendly and collaborate well as a team. We also help support other employees located in branch offices throughout the Province of BC.
Good job culture
claims processor (Former Employee), downtownAugust 26, 2015
this company had a good job culture.
the productivity and quality expectation were to high.
i found that after your training is c omplete they really pressure you to meet the expectations.
Former Senior Claims Examiner
Senior Claims Examiner (Former Employee), Winnipeg MbAugust 8, 2015
Pros: Making clients happy. Good benefits, vacation pk., and you do get paid for sick.
Cons: Not good on ergonomics. Demanding and scare tactics cause failure.
You have to meet deadlines and they are expected of you, however when doing harder work in my time there you were able to write down time spent on complex claims.
I think that ergonomics needs to be looked at more for a healthier work station. I feel Management does pick favourites but I went into the job to make people happy.
I didn't get involved in the office politics.
I was used to productivity so that was easy.
Training was great.
Staff are good. A little to much meetings and yes they take up to much time, however when I was there you took the time off and your productivity should not be hard to meet
Overall for a private company I felt it was a great place to work
Good place to work and people are very lovely.
Data Entry Processor (Current Employee), WinnipegJuly 26, 2015
Pros: Great freebies, fun place to work and good benefits for employees
Cons: Nothing bad to say
I usually handle Data Entry Processing on a day-to-day basis, and with that I also ensure that all information needed for an application is present, to be entered more efficiently. I have learned a lot about what goes into a single application up to the point of it being issued to clients. Also perform contract audits prior to issuance of policies being applied for. I appreciate my colleagues as well as my team leader. I admire the transparency at work that's very important to me. There isn't really anything hard about my current posting. Most enjoyable part would be unusual situations and difficulties that come with the job and welcome all challenges head on.
Claims Processor
Claims Processor (Former Employee), WinnipegJuly 21, 2015
Pros: Friendly, nice staff and co-workers
Cons: Expectations too high
The productivity/accuracy expectations are too high. They give you a 1 year trial to hit the goals. If you aren't hitting them they let you go, very stressful.

They even let some people go before the one year was up if they fell too far behind. Only about half the people from my training class were kept after 1 year.

You are still basically learning stuff after 3-4 months, so it's more like only 9 months to meet very high work expectations.

Not much warning when they let you go, just take you into an office one morning and pack up your stuff for you.

I received only one week of severance pay (the bare minimum allowed), and you won't be able to collect EI either, because it was a probationary contract.

A very bad situation to be in after a full year of hard work.

Pay was also mediocre ($14/hr) considering the amount of training and knowledge required for the job.
it was a good place to work
coordinator Records Management (Former Employee), Regina, saskJune 22, 2015
Pros: people
Cons: salary
I managed a large file room.
eventually the division was moved to the U.S. and all files needed to be scanned which I managed. the files were prepped, scanned, and indexed.
it was a very large project of 75,000 files.
flexible working hours
Rehabilitation Consultant (Current Employee), Hamilton - Niagara RegionJune 18, 2015
Pros: work from home
great company
contracts do end without the possibility of renewal
great training program
flexible working hours but must have the experience and the ability to work independently with minimal supervision in order to be successful working from a home based job
Large Organization
Client Service Coordinator (Current Employee), London, ONJune 12, 2015
Pros: Fantastic Christmas Bonuses
Cons: No support by management - employees are never asked for feedback.
I work with some very good co-workers
Very busy high stress environment.
Management is never out of their offices to support staff members.
Dealing with unreliable team mates.
Knowing that I helped and resolved an issue for the person on the other side of the phone or email.
Challenging,rewarding
Corporate Counsel (Former Employee), EdmontonMarch 21, 2015
Pros: salary, environment, training, travel
Cons: bureaucracy
They treat their employees very well. We had a base plus salary,expense accounts and corporate training and trips. The work environment was relaxed ,but professional. Typical day was nine to five,no weekends. I learned that there are bright people who do not work in Law firms,which is contrary to what most lawyers believe.My colleagues wet some of the finest tax advisors in Canada and were a wealth of information,always willing to help. the most enjoyable part of the job was creating exit strategies for business owners.
Liked what I did
Claims Processor (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBMarch 17, 2015
Pros: bonuses
Cons: productivity goals
Poor productivity levels required by management to the employees. Excellent bonus pay. Good vacation pay/days. Half day off with pay for your birthday. Very good benefit packages.
Great place for managers
Administration/Receptionist (Former Employee), Winnipeg, ManitobaMarch 17, 2015
Pros: Great dental plan
Cons: Can't make a single mistake
Typical Day at work

Very tight deadlines
Lots of data entry
No room for error

Like any large company, depends on the person
I had one amazing manager
Most only looked at one side of the story
Great company to work for!
Senior BI Specialist (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 22, 2015
it has a great vibe and the nicest staff. Things are handled so professionally and in a relaxed manner. Not to say that they don't work hard because they do! Great communication between management and individuals. Everyone has an open door policy.
If you follow the dress code and attendance and do what you are supposed to do there is nothing that could go wrong.!
Welcoming atmosphere
Administrative Support (Former Employee), London, ONNovember 24, 2014
Pros: fun social holiday events
Great West Life has a great social aspect to the work day. Social activities make the day feel light and cheery.
worked there for over 14 years
Senior Claims (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBOctober 22, 2014
Worked there for years trained within the company however not very may pay raises and if your quality and quanity was not up to snuff you needed to explain to the head supervisor's desk on a weekly basis. I've have to learned not to trust people from working there and that hard work doesn't always pay off.
Great West Life
Sr. Administration Assistant (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 18, 2014
Pros: flex hours and compressed days
Cons: not enough staff
Busy
The people are great to work with
Management is difficult
The hardest part of the job is too get your work done when the workload is unmanageable
When your co-workers appreciate the small things you have done for them
Headquarters