Great West Employee Reviews

Fast paced and competitive environment over all
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 January 2018
I enjoyed my work experience at Great West, however it was only a 2month contract and I had to find a more stable job.

I learned so much when I was there and the opportunity to advance was vast as they have their own intranet where you can take courses at your free time.

It was fun!
JC
Pros
online free certificates
Cons
Fixed Monday to Friday
Fast paced work enviroment.
Customer Relations Specialist (Current Employee) –  London, ON1 January 2018
I'm new to the company but they offer lots of support to new employees. They have a great benefit and incentive package for all employees. Staff and management are always willing to answer questions and want you to succeed.
Pros
Lots of support in the CRS position.
Cons
I had to sign a 2 year commitment to this particular job, so there is no advancement to other positions for two years.
Group Customer Contact Services call centre
CRS (Current Employee) –  London, ON19 December 2017
This department is responsible for answering inquiries from plan members and providers. I enjoy helping people understand their benefit coverage so like the work. All the managers have experience as reps so can help when escalated situations happen. Pay increases and quarterly bonus are based on how we perform, so if you make too many mistakes or are absent too much you won't get an increase/bonus . Those who complain about not getting a raise or a bonus know why they don't get one - they won't share on this form though. It's because of their personal performance. It's a call centre so we're expected to be logged on the phones when scheduled and take our breaks for the right amount of time. Believe me, your peers will notice if you don't pull your weight. It's a good place to work and most of those i work with do care about the client. There's good opportunity for advancement to other departments if you take advantage of the free courses that you can do on line or the $2000 education assistance program yearly. I just had 4
friends move onto new jobs! Lots of opportunities
Pros
3 weeks vacation, good benefits, higher than average pay for call centre, no weekends! No sales!
Cons
Open until 7pm, can be challenging situations to deal with
Organised and competitive environment
Wholesaler/ Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC5 November 2017
I love working in a competitive environment that can stimulate my intelligence and creativity
I love a job that keep me intellectually active in development people to succeed in the financial industry
Pros
Discipline, integrity
Cons
routine
Diversified work
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 November 2017
I was able to be challenged and I was not always doing the same tasks everyday. I learned how to book appointments for claimants and set up claims for STD claims or LTD claims.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Nice place to work and nice people
Director, Group Business Technology Operations (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 October 2017
Overall GWL is a good place to work. This is a culture of team work and most people are friendly, helpful and want to do a good job. They are going through some significant change right now and so things might be a little confusing for the next couple of years but it will settle down.
A very productive department that I worked in with a very good work culture.
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 October 2017
My typical day was started by opening email to gauge what work took priority. There were a lot of email inquiries as well as work received through mail. There was a great rapport between everybody and help always provided to one another. The location allowed for us to go for walks along the river. We planned lunch potlucks and had a very good balance of work & fun. It was a very respectful work environment.
Pros
Location and choice of hours
Cons
Lots of work that required staying late in year end and beginning of year.
Poor Leadership
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 September 2017
The culture needs to advance, there is too many people in leadership positions that do not want to advance. There is no room for career advancement until people retire.
Unstable workplace
Mobile Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 September 2017
Reducing 2000 staff members by the end of this year.
Constant change in workplace and restructured 3 times in last 5 years. Lack of communication between staff members across offices.
Negative work environment
Group Customer Contact Services (phone rep) (Former Employee) –  London, ON22 August 2017
This place is okay if you have very little customer service experience, and are trying to build your resume. The salary is average, but the benefits are good. Management is nowhere to be found if you need support, they're more concerned with getting in their coffee breaks than coaching staff. The medical/dental training is interesting, but the job itself is very draining. Clients call and yell at you over their coverage and claims payments - and morale is very negative since management does nothing to create a more positive workplace. The bonuses were good until a new director was hired, then they made it almost impossible to get anything. If your performance is high, and you want to move to another area of the company, they will make it seem like you're not qualified because they want to keep you there to make their overall metrics look good comparable to other offices.
Pros
Lots of nice co-workers, benefits, fairly nice office
Cons
Unskilled managers, late shift, low morale, old software
lay offs
Communications Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 August 2017
Not a great environment right now. Many jobs going to Toronto. Management is self serving and not about inspiring employees. Look elsewhere for job advancement.
Decent place to work
Disability Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 August 2017
A decent place to work although sometimes work load is not appropriate.

It's nice to work from home. Company needs to hire appropriately as many times the workload is overwhelming.
Pros
Work from home.
Cons
High workload
A little behind the times still.
Manager, ERM (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 August 2017
A little behind the times still with respect to processes, culture and work/life flexibility. Although remote access is provided, it is not used and not really allowed to be used unless it's absolutely necessary.
great work place
Maintenance Tech (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 August 2017
GreatWest life parent company of Vertica resident services good place to work, high end apartment with a slum lord maintenance budget to work with, thus forcing maintenance techs to provide low quality work
Pros
great clients
Cons
unqualified management team making critical decisions
It is a great company
Directrice conformité (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC19 July 2017
This is a great company for the time I was there.

I learned many things concerning my position which was Compliance regional manager, it was a very analystic job so it did not bring my social side to shine bright as it is my best characteristic.
environnement agréable
Spécialiste, Relations avec la clientèle (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC2 July 2017
flexibilité
bonne formation
bonne rémunération ...
Company in transition
DSW (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 June 2017
Great group of people to work with, but unfortunately it is a company in transition at the moment as it reinvents itself for the 21st century.
The some 5,000 people who were transitioned out of jobs was a painful part of the process.
Pros
fun workplace
Cons
difficult communication process between old and new workers
Administrative Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 June 2017
Great place to work, but job is not secured. I enjoyed my job but Great West is currently changing their structure and even permanent positions are not secured.
You are replaceable
Group Retirement Services (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC23 May 2017
No performance reviews but management acts like you're not doing your job,old technology, no advancement possible (currently in restructuration), low pay
Great company to work for
Technical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 May 2017
Good work life balance and culture. Good management and considerate due to the complexity in working in a 'shared services' area which in reality is like working for three plus companies at the same time.
Pros
Staff Club, Cafeteria, Health area with nurse with good old values
Cons
Following the market on offshoring of work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great West. Our community is ready to answer.