Great West Kenworth Employee Reviews

Depends.. do you hate yourself?
Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB14 June 2017
If you enjoy getting treated like garbage, this is the job for you! As a heavy duty technician for Greatwest Kenworth, you will constantly be threatened with job security/loss. Have no CVIP ticket? Well, enjoy being threatened to be fired. Enjoy a nice wage? Well, enjoy your hiring wage as it will never increase after you are hired on. Benefits are okay, but can be expensive so check before you get locked in. Not a positive atmosphere, and not a team player environment. Enjoy playing the "blame game" when something goes wrong. Your great mechanic skills will not save you here. Foreman is fine, the service manager will make you wonder why you ended up here and how to escape. HR in head office is unprofessional, other employees have had zero success with complaints. Complaining leads to public shaming as there is no confidentiality in HR, they will let your boss know you complained so that you get treated even worse.
They do provide excellent training opportunities and travel to the states for training, there is a positive!
Pros
Training and international travel
Cons
Not a positive atmosphere or team environment.
not a great place to work
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB10 August 2016
The co workers were great. management is based on a culture of bullying and threats.. Loved the customer base good honest people.Pay is decent not great and benefits are minimal
Pros
decent pay
Cons
bad management at every level
Fun and friendly environment
Parts Technician (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB12 April 2016
Typical day required to sell parts over the counter with occasional customer visitations. I have learned to be attentive to customer needs, hard working and driven.
i am not a fan of management as i worked for them for years and always felt like a number rather than an employee.
hardest part of the job was acquiring new customers to the location as it was new and didn't have a service department as most customers were looking for this.
Pros
Great benefits and pay
Cons
lack of personal touch
Keep looking
Technician (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge11 December 2014
I have been with GWKW for a number of years. The company pushes you to work overtime, until it is slow for 1/2 a day then they send you home. Other companies are paying better and the benefits aren't that great. Not the worst place I've worked, but certainly not the best.
Pros
Good guys on the floor to work with.
Cons
Management only cares about the bottom line, no "family" atmosphere.
Open and welcoming environment for an immigrant worker
HET Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Clairmont, AB12 January 2014
GreatWest offered me a great opportunity to come to Canada. As everybody who has obtained a work visa and knows how hard this process can be, GreatWest Kenworth was awesome in facilitating anything required involved in this process. They offered a very competitive wage and great benefits. in an easy going and friendly environment, where everybody was willing to help each other out. I learned the distinct differences in technology of the trucking industry between Europe and North America. I really appreciated the opportunities that working for this company has afforded me.
Pros
wages, benefits, working hours, social comitee appreciations
Cons
getting qualified personnel in the alberta economy
Great Work/Life Balance and Great People to work with
Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary10 January 2014
During our employee surveys the #1 reason why our employees like it at GWKW are the people they work everyday. We have a very solid group of employees that I am proud to work with each day. Our owners are very trusting of our management team and employees and allow us to try out new ideas if we think they will benefit the bottom line.

It's common to work with people around you who have been with the company for 10, 20, 30 years. Our records is 50 years with the company and that is not the owner or founder but one of the first employee hired in 1958.

We pride ourselves of being a very stable and financial responsible company, and when the economy gets tough we ride it out instead of automatically doing mass layoffs like those other guys.

The company has been very good to me over the last 8 years and I truly enjoy coming to work each day and working with our awesome team.
Pros
Location, people, career development and stability
Cons
High pressure, fast past, high standards - not for those that just want to get by
Stable friendly work environment with family values at its core.
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 January 2014
I started at Greatwest in 2006 as a technician and immediatly felt at home here. The staff were friendly and approachable while I was settling in. Over the years I managed to advance myself to supervisor, shop foreman and more recently to Service Manager. The company rewards positive individuals that strive to make a difference and is also one of the top paying OEM Service shops in Calgary. Greatwest provides its staff with a finincially stable work environment with opportunity for advancement and the benifits are great also. I know my family has benifited from me working here with the use of company benifits and top pay.
Pros
Social get-togethers and friendly environment
Cons
Getting qualified technicians in the fast pased Alberta economy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great West Kenworth. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9