Great Northern Insulation Employee Reviews

GNI a Place to Learn or Grow
Jr. Estimator (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON20 July 2017
As a former crew member who now works in the office as an Estimator I can say there are plenty of opportunities move up & learn at GNI. I have encountered many enthusiastic and professional people both as an onsite crew member and in my new position withing the office.
Amazing company who values employees
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON18 July 2017
I currently work at Great Northern Insulation and although I am fairly new I am loving my new position and this fantastic company.

They are very dedicated to their employees and want everyone to succeed. They have many awesome systems for the employees such as "Ideas of the month" which allows employees to submit ideas and be rewarded if their idea is chosen. They are HUGE supporters of education and encourage all employees to further their education.
The culture in the office is more like a family. I truly love coming to work!
All in all Great Northern is an amazing place to work and I cannot wait to see what my career with Great Northern has in store!
Great Organizational Structure - Invested in Employees
Office/Field Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Durham Region, ON10 July 2017
I've worked at Great Northern Insulation full-time for 6 months. During my 6 month tenure here, management has been both accommodating and supportive to my requests as an employee. As a recent university graduate, I came with a limited background in insulating homes and the building envelope. However, through paid training programs and learning incentives, Great Northern has provided all the tools necessary to develop professionally and prosper within the construction industry.

As Ontario's largest full service insulation contractor, and a company of this size, I was impressed by the corporate culture within the company. Whether it be through acknowledgement of employee contribution, monetary employee incentives or frequency of employee feedback - Great Northern has done an excellent job of keeping me appeased and optimistic for the future.
Pros
Transparency, Acknowledgement of Contribution, Consistent Communication, Employee Incentives
Productive, fast paced and with amazing people
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON28 June 2017
I haven't been with he company for long but it's been the best experience so far! If you're looking for a career that is the same everyday, this isn't the job for you. Everyday is different and present a new group of challenges, which I really like. The company is very customer service oriented. Being such a newbie, I'm finding everyone around the office is so friendly and very helpful when it comes to answering questions. It seems like a company I can grow with.
Pros
Great hours, relaxed around the office, opportunity for advancement, benefits, flexibility, great co-workers and management
Cons
Lots of moving parts
best place ive worked hands down
HELPER (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON19 June 2017
This is the best place I have worked in a long time and would go back working for them in a heartbeat, loved the hours and the different locations we visited on a regular basis. I would recommend this job for anyone even just to try
Pros
different locations almost everyday
Cons
some days are real short if theres no work
Looking for an opportunity to be successful.....
Sales (Current Employee) –  Ontario15 March 2017
Within GNI you are given the opportunity to succeed.

Those who succeed are those who have a positive attitude, look for opportunities to better themselves and the company. There is variety and as a result, you must be adaptable and like a challenge.

The people are the best part of the company; they care. Management is approachable and offers an open door policy. Those who choose to open the door will have a great future with GNI.

Like every company, not every day is perfect and there are some frustrations that need to be overcome.

The hardest part of the job is also the most enjoyable part of the company and that is change. Great Northern is not afraid to change and embrace new opportunities to continue the success.

If you are looking for "Ground Hog Day" type job Great Northern is not for you. If you are looking to have autonomy and be challenged to learn then Great Northern Insulation is the company for you.
Pros
Cons
needs more communication
Good atmosphere, solid job with opportunities for growth.
Estimator (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON7 February 2017
I came in with a limited knowledge of insulation and the building envelope. GNI trained me through coworkers and paid courses to understand the application of different products to achieve the best performance in different conditions. I was taken to site within my first couple of days working at GNI to better understand the application of products and get a feel for what I would be quoting. After working with the company for over 3 years, they are still providing courses both online and in class to continue growing my knowledge of the industry.

Great Northern has a team oriented atmosphere and is a fantastic place to work.
Pros
Good benefits and training paid for by the company.
Great place to work!
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON29 December 2016
Lots of opportunity to move up. Learned so much and feel like I am apart of the team. The work is easily manageable and enjoyable. Great people all around.
Pros
Great learning environment
Cons
Can get busy
Great Place to Work!
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON29 December 2016
Great Northern Insulation is a great place to work. As an ever growing company, I can see a lot of potential within the company.
The work atmosphere is relatively enjoyable, with many people willing to help you when needed.
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON28 December 2016
GNI is a great place to work, I would highly recommend joining our team. There are a lot of opportunities for growth within the company as their principal is to invest in employees through continued education. Everyone in the office is a delight to work with, it is a team oriented atmosphere. Management is very approachable and attentive.
overworked and underpaid
Insulation Installer (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON14 November 2016
Management does not care about health and safety , it's a "just get the job done" attitude. Very poor maintenance of vehicles. no one will notice a good job but a poor job will be under scrutiny.
Pros
monday to friday
Cons
to much expected of a person
Employed by Great Northern Insulation
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 September 2016
A typical work day for my position is standard work hours of 8-4, with the occasional hour here and there - working form home. GNI has provided the "tools & materials" I need to do so.

Management is very supportive, responsive and most of all - approachable. The encouragement is given to employees in many forms, incentive bonuses, gift cards and options to better education through online courses etc.

My co-workers are a great group at this particular branch. However I work closely with many other admins across all of the branches. We are able to cover each other for holidays, sick days etc.

The challenges I face in this position, balancing my time (especially during busy season) between my direct manager, sales reps, to the crew members, and most importantly the customer/client.

The greatest part of my job is speaking to the Homeowners before and after our visit to complete the services in their home. I also enjoy creating a schedule that allows the crew to cover the entire GTA, in an efficient manner.

I have enjoyed my time here at GNI, and look forward to my future here moving forward.

Truly a pleasure to work for.
Growth Opportunities
Office Staff (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON7 September 2016
GNI provides great learning and growth opportunities for employees - paid courses/ training sessions that have really helped me in my role.

There are great benefits - RRSP plan, corporate gym membership, and other incentives that make the culture positive and help employees and their families.

Overall- very satisfied with the job.
hours vary from 8/hs a day to 16/hs a day
Insulation Installer (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON12 April 2016
good company to work for some days are cherrys and some are like a tunafish sandwich that's been under your seat for a month
Meh
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON6 January 2016
The work it self is actually quiet enjoyable.

management and staff are not people i enjoy being around.

Negative atmosphere
I learned skills in spray foam insulation etc. Enjoyed the worked hwever got laid off in January 2015
Insulation Technician (Former Employee) –  Milton, Ont14 April 2015
Enjoyed this type of work and learned some skills, if i hadnt been laid off i would still be with this job most likley. The people i worked with were good at showing me the ropes and i caught on quickly and was able to go to jobs taking a laborer with me.. I learned some skills i didnt have doing spray insulation in residentail and commercial homes. All in all i enjoyed the job and wish i hadnt been laid off.
loved the job . long hours and great customers
production installer (Former Employee) –  comber ontario10 March 2015
I enjoyed working for the company and with the staff. I am a great team player and able to work well under stress.I work in a timely and efficient manner.Would love to have a steady hours and guaranteed work every day.
Great Company to work for
Sprayfoam Technician (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON19 November 2014
GNI was a great place to work, unfortunatly i ended up with allergy to the chemical i was spraying.
Pros
Fun and fast pace atmosphere
Cons
I can no longer be around the chemicals
Fast pace/Repetitive task
Insulator (Former Employee) –  ON13 May 2014
Installation of batts and poly
Professional insulation skills
Pros
Pay/controllable hours
Cons
Summer heat/Winter cold
Solid place to work
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Comber Ontario11 April 2014
Worked here for a few months and then was laid off. To be fair it was a really long winter and no new foundations were getting put in so it was bound to happen being the lowest in seniority at the time. While I was here I got along with everyone great, easy going but get the job done type of mentality. The boss in Comber, Chad, was easily one of the best bosses I've had. Always willing to do whatever he can to accommodate employees who have Dr's appointments and kids to take care of. Always enough hours given each week and some days were long and some a bit shorter. When I was hired I was being asked if I would like to drive the 5 tonne truck and get my license, along with spray foaming license eventually so the company definitely wants you to be with them long term. All in all a solid place to work.
Pros
Willing to train to advance you, good bosses, able to balance life outside of work
Cons
I didnt mind it but some people might not like starting work at 630am

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great Northern Insulation. Our community is ready to answer.

Great Northern Insulation Reviews by Location