GREAT NORTHERN INSULATION Employee Reviews in Canada

Meh
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Milton, ONJanuary 6, 2016
The work it self is actually quiet enjoyable.

management and staff are not people i enjoy being around.

Negative atmosphere
I learned skills in spray foam insulation etc. Enjoyed the worked hwever got laid off in January 2015
Insulation Technician (Former Employee) –  Milton, OntApril 14, 2015
Enjoyed this type of work and learned some skills, if i hadnt been laid off i would still be with this job most likley. The people i worked with were good at showing me the ropes and i caught on quickly and was able to go to jobs taking a laborer with me.. I learned some skills i didnt have doing spray insulation in residentail and commercial homes. All in all i enjoyed the job and wish i hadnt been laid off.
loved the job . long hours and great customers
production installer (Former Employee) –  comber ontarioMarch 10, 2015
I enjoyed working for the company and with the staff. I am a great team player and able to work well under stress.I work in a timely and efficient manner.Would love to have a steady hours and guaranteed work every day.
Fun job with all the crew guys, busy, good benefits
Branch Administrator / Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Milton, ONFebruary 6, 2013
Busy as soon as you step in the door, download Time Summit, enter crew's Travel hours, send report to Head Office, cost all materials and labour to jobs. Close and Invoice all completed jobs. Help concerned Customers, Schedule jobs, open jobs in SAP for Sales Reps Quotes, scan all quotes into SAP.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
long days
Solid place to work
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Comber OntarioApril 11, 2014
Worked here for a few months and then was laid off. To be fair it was a really long winter and no new foundations were getting put in so it was bound to happen being the lowest in seniority at the time. While I was here I got along with everyone great, easy going but get the job done type of mentality. The boss in Comber, Chad, was easily one of the best bosses I've had. Always willing to do whatever he can to accommodate employees who have Dr's appointments and kids to take care of. Always enough hours given each week and some days were long and some a bit shorter. When I was hired I was being asked if I would like to drive the 5 tonne truck and get my license, along with spray foaming license eventually so the company definitely wants you to be with them long term. All in all a solid place to work.
Pros
willing to train to advance you, good bosses, able to balance life outside of work
Cons
i didnt mind it but some people might not like starting work at 630am
Great Company to work for
Sprayfoam Technician (Former Employee) –  Milton, ONNovember 19, 2014
GNI was a great place to work, unfortunatly i ended up with allergy to the chemical i was spraying.
Pros
fun and fast pace atmosphere
Cons
i can no longer be around the chemicals
Could be a great company with better communication
Project Coordinator/Contracts Administrator (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ONAugust 20, 2012
6am-3pm - I had a crew of 30 guys that I made sure paperwork was prepared for, that the contract was reviewed and approved for by me to proceed with work. I learned that it is possible to have fun and still be productive and successful as a group (ICI division). My direct managers were great, however, upper management needs some work. There was a lot of micromanaging, and confusion because of different orders given by multiple bosses. My co workers were amazing people to work with... we put in a lot of "volunteer" hours as we were salary, but still ended up working many 16 hr days just to make sure that we got done what needed to be done. The hardest part of the job was leaving all the people that I had built a personal relationship with. the most enjoyable part of the job was all the great people that I got to meet, work with, and know as more than just a "crew".
Pros
flexibility of schedule
Cons
long hours, lack of communication, sometimes hostile environment
Not a great atmosphere
Installer (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ONMarch 25, 2014
Was hired to do sprayfoam did not touch the gun my whole time there. Was also promised a raise after 6 months but did not see that either. But some good people in office.
Fast pace/Repetitive task
Insulator (Former Employee) –  ONMay 13, 2014
Installation of batts and poly
Professional insulation skills
Pros
pay/controllable hours
Cons
summer heat/winter cold
Great Pay and benefits, very poor culture.
Scheduler /Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Milton, ONApril 26, 2012
I was recruited to the company to take over CSR and scheduling duties on a day to day basis. While I was given nominal training on the database (not an issue due to my background) I was given next to no training on products and services and on how long these would take to perform. For example, if a home was being insulated, how long the job would take and possible roadblocks faced. I was promised during the hiring process that I would go on site and be given hands on experience. This however never materialized and I was left with only abstract concepts of the work I was scheduling. Furthermore, work and sales targets I agreed to meet were doubled a week after I started. This was done in a year when the orders coming in were far below the previous year.

Communication and support from management was minimal or non existent. Many of the installers had repeated warnings for behaviour or had been fired then re-hired. This created a situation where the office staff was at the mercy of the workers on the truck and what they felt like doing on a given day. It is very difficult to call a customer, schedule work and not be able to depend on anyone around you to complete or even show up for the job. It was not uncommon for staff in the various offices to be terminated without warning or being offered a coaching opportunity. To summarize, pay and benefits were good, the 'old boy's club' mentality is counter-productive and very off putting. Not reccomended.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
long hours, unsupportive management, constantly changing mandate