Great Northern Insulation Employee Reviews

overworked and underpaid
Insulation Installer (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON14 November 2016
Management does not care about health and safety , it's a "just get the job done" attitude. Very poor maintenance of vehicles. no one will notice a good job but a poor job will be under scrutiny.
Pros
monday to friday
Cons
to much expected of a person
Employed by Great Northern Insulation
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 September 2016
A typical work day for my position is standard work hours of 8-4, with the occasional hour here and there - working form home. GNI has provided the "tools & materials" I need to do so.

Management is very supportive, responsive and most of all - approachable. The encouragement is given to employees in many forms, incentive bonuses, gift cards and options to better education through online courses etc.

My co-workers are a great group at this particular branch. However I work closely with many other admins across all of the branches. We are able to cover each other for holidays, sick days etc.

The challenges I face in this position, balancing my time (especially during busy season) between my direct manager, sales reps, to the crew members, and most importantly the customer/client.

The greatest part of my job is speaking to the Homeowners before and after our visit to complete the services in their home. I also enjoy creating a schedule that allows the crew to cover the entire GTA, in an efficient manner.

I have enjoyed my time here at GNI, and look forward to my future here moving forward.

Truly a pleasure to work for.
Growth Opportunities
Office Staff (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON7 September 2016
GNI provides great learning and growth opportunities for employees - paid courses/ training sessions that have really helped me in my role.

There are great benefits - RRSP plan, corporate gym membership, and other incentives that make the culture positive and help employees and their families.

Overall- very satisfied with the job.
Meh
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON6 January 2016
The work it self is actually quiet enjoyable.

management and staff are not people i enjoy being around.

Negative atmosphere
I learned skills in spray foam insulation etc. Enjoyed the worked hwever got laid off in January 2015
Insulation Technician (Former Employee) –  Milton, Ont14 April 2015
Enjoyed this type of work and learned some skills, if i hadnt been laid off i would still be with this job most likley. The people i worked with were good at showing me the ropes and i caught on quickly and was able to go to jobs taking a laborer with me.. I learned some skills i didnt have doing spray insulation in residentail and commercial homes. All in all i enjoyed the job and wish i hadnt been laid off.
loved the job . long hours and great customers
production installer (Former Employee) –  comber ontario10 March 2015
I enjoyed working for the company and with the staff. I am a great team player and able to work well under stress.I work in a timely and efficient manner.Would love to have a steady hours and guaranteed work every day.
Great Company to work for
Sprayfoam Technician (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON19 November 2014
GNI was a great place to work, unfortunatly i ended up with allergy to the chemical i was spraying.
Pros
Fun and fast pace atmosphere
Cons
I can no longer be around the chemicals
Fast pace/Repetitive task
Insulator (Former Employee) –  ON13 May 2014
Installation of batts and poly
Professional insulation skills
Pros
Pay/controllable hours
Cons
Summer heat/Winter cold
Solid place to work
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Comber Ontario11 April 2014
Worked here for a few months and then was laid off. To be fair it was a really long winter and no new foundations were getting put in so it was bound to happen being the lowest in seniority at the time. While I was here I got along with everyone great, easy going but get the job done type of mentality. The boss in Comber, Chad, was easily one of the best bosses I've had. Always willing to do whatever he can to accommodate employees who have Dr's appointments and kids to take care of. Always enough hours given each week and some days were long and some a bit shorter. When I was hired I was being asked if I would like to drive the 5 tonne truck and get my license, along with spray foaming license eventually so the company definitely wants you to be with them long term. All in all a solid place to work.
Pros
Willing to train to advance you, good bosses, able to balance life outside of work
Cons
I didnt mind it but some people might not like starting work at 630am
Not a great atmosphere
Installer (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON25 March 2014
Was hired to do sprayfoam did not touch the gun my whole time there. Was also promised a raise after 6 months but did not see that either. But some good people in office.
Fun job with all the crew guys, busy, good benefits
Branch Administrator / Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON6 February 2013
Busy as soon as you step in the door, download Time Summit, enter crew's Travel hours, send report to Head Office, cost all materials and labour to jobs. Close and Invoice all completed jobs. Help concerned Customers, Schedule jobs, open jobs in SAP for Sales Reps Quotes, scan all quotes into SAP.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
long days
Could be a great company with better communication
Project Coordinator/Contracts Administrator (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON20 August 2012
6am-3pm - I had a crew of 30 guys that I made sure paperwork was prepared for, that the contract was reviewed and approved for by me to proceed with work. I learned that it is possible to have fun and still be productive and successful as a group (ICI division). My direct managers were great, however, upper management needs some work. There was a lot of micromanaging, and confusion because of different orders given by multiple bosses. My co workers were amazing people to work with... we put in a lot of "volunteer" hours as we were salary, but still ended up working many 16 hr days just to make sure that we got done what needed to be done. The hardest part of the job was leaving all the people that I had built a personal relationship with. the most enjoyable part of the job was all the great people that I got to meet, work with, and know as more than just a "crew".
Pros
flexibility of schedule
Cons
long hours, lack of communication, sometimes hostile environment
Great Pay and benefits, very poor culture.
Scheduler /Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON26 April 2012
I was recruited to the company to take over CSR and scheduling duties on a day to day basis. While I was given nominal training on the database (not an issue due to my background) I was given next to no training on products and services and on how long these would take to perform. For example, if a home was being insulated, how long the job would take and possible roadblocks faced. I was promised during the hiring process that I would go on site and be given hands on experience. This however never materialized and I was left with only abstract concepts of the work I was scheduling. Furthermore, work and sales targets I agreed to meet were doubled a week after I started. This was done in a year when the orders coming in were far below the previous year.

Communication and support from management was minimal or non existent. Many of the installers had repeated warnings for behaviour or had been fired then re-hired. This created a situation where the office staff was at the mercy of the workers on the truck and what they felt like doing on a given day. It is very difficult to call a customer, schedule work and not be able to depend on anyone around you to complete or even show up for the job. It was not uncommon for staff in the various offices to be terminated without warning or being offered a coaching opportunity. To summarize, pay and benefits were good, the 'old boy's club' mentality is counter-productive and very off putting. Not reccomended.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
long hours, unsupportive management, constantly changing mandate

2.8