Great Clips Employee Reviews

Fun gals to work with
Barber Stylist (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC31 July 2017
I was very happy working here but stress took the better of me in the end. I wish the outcome were different but it is what it is.

The girls are quirky and sassy, they defiantly keep things interesting. The Manager is strict but super fun to work for, she is just the greatest!
Pros
Awesome people to work with
Cons
Like every place there's a little drama
very fun, employees are welcoming
Hairstylist/ receptionist (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC10 July 2017
i was only there for 3 weeks but the experience of behind the chair was great, the employees were great and management is very well done. i didn't get paid though but still great experience to my resume
Its good company to work if you need to speed up, learn more skills in haircuting
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON18 June 2017
I did enjoy working with great clips I learn a lot of skills in haircut and my speed improve a lot, but one thing I don't like about great clips policy is that they not caring much about stylist's time, when they salon busy they ask you to stay but when they are slow they call you to go home or come one hour later, think about that you make ready your self for work and then resciving a text message to come later for me it was really annoyed hopefully great clips should take this problem seriesly.
Was a good place to work
Hair stylist (Former Employee) –  Waterdown location11 June 2017
Was okay place to work would want to go back staff was good manager was good great training for me amazing knowledge of products online checking in for the customers
Pros
Family oriented
Cons
Lots was expected of you
Poor choice in manager(s)
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON7 June 2017
Great concept , (online check in) fast pace environment
Down fall ...acting manager had personal favourites..
chose apprentice with (shady) past to act as manager....
Franchise owner wouldn't take the time to speak to licsense staff over concerns of staff with "record(s)"
Yet we were expected to respect the "manager (s)"
Pros
Can make decent money if you want to work
Cons
Expected to "RESPECT" apprentices managers ( some with jail records)
fun,easy going, teamwork, friendly
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 June 2017
I really enjoyed being a receptionist for great clips on davie street even if it was for a short time. The staff were lovely and the space was to. I learnt a lot and I also got to learn more about hair while I was there.
Company doesn't take care of their staff
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area, ON11 May 2017
Work/life balance was practically non-existent even as a part timer. It was nearly impossible to book days off, then was always given a bunch of extra hours and long/late shifts the week prior to and returning from any time off. I would often get called in to work extra shifts on top of my schedule nearly every other week.
When it got busy I was often denied my lunch break, and was not allowed to have water at my work station
There are no benefits or opportunities to advance within the company aside from management positions, and pay is minimum wage. Tips at the location i worked started off okay then got worse over the years as the prices increased.
Management was not fun to deal with, the only thing that kept me around as long as it did was the other stylists being pleasant to work with.
It varies from one location/franchisee to the next, but I would definitely not recommend the one where I worked
Pros
nice staff
Cons
poor scheduling, overworked, underpaid
No room for advancement. No appreciation
Hair stylist (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB2 May 2017
Days off are taken away from you. Get in trouble if you don't finish your cut in under 15 minutes. Don't get to show true talent due to time restrictions. Calling in sick is like killing their first born. Zero appreciation for working your butt off. No chance for a raise except when they have to legally due to min wage increase. You don't get paid for staying after close to clean. Ridiculous company to work for & would never recommend it.
Cons
Poor pay
The company
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BC20 April 2017
Hello to every one who's working in great clips company !!i worked most of great clips an thy great I loved the coworkers an some managers are so good unforgettable,thy do appreciate the work..but work at 85th sw was a experience for me I use to do many hair cuts ,but I got into evident an asked them if u can fill out my medical report that I applied for ei an insurance thy never did..so I never got any financial help from this company,,very bad management,,
Not so Great
Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 April 2017
As a manager it is hard to have a work life balance with this company. The turn over rate is high, a lot of people that work here just come to make a quick buck. The skill level of a lot of the staff is not up to par. The compensation is also not very good.
Cons
A great and positive environment, a fun place to work and grow
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Pitt Meadows, BC12 April 2017
Every day was a new day, with new clientele coming in all the time, it allowed you to grow even more in not only your cutting/styling skills, but also your own personal skills.
Can be a fun place to work but..
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Durham Region, ON21 February 2017
All the stylists are fun to work with. Not much drama.

Head Office is never there unless there is something they don't like happening. Doesn't care to do to get involved properly when they should be.

Managers may seem like they have power to do what managers should but they don't. They need permission from head office for every thing the need to do even when Head Office says they don't.

Head Office doesn't value their stylists at all. As far as they are concerned, stylists are highly replaceable.

Minimum wage but able to make more if you work at a busy salon.

No benefits and no raises at all.
Pros
Fun and low drama
Cons
long hrs, low wages, no benifits, poor management/ head office
I learned a lot from this job and would recommend :)
Hairstylist - Part time (Current Employee) –  Cochrane, AB7 February 2017
A typical day at work was applying my knowledge of cutting and styling here to the client's needs. I learned most about hairstyling by the licensed stylists who were more than happy to help me. The hardest part of a job can be if the stylist doesn't see eye to eye with the client. For example if there is a miscommunication with what the client desires vs. how the stylist interpreted it, but that can happen anywhere. I loved this job because of all the amazing people you get to talk to and get to know. Seeing repeat clients come back to you or to the store is rewarding.
Pros
The people you meet
Cons
The people you meet
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 January 2017
Greet customers and staff. Prepare schedules, inventory, and supplies. Cut, and style hair for customers. Sell them product with features and benefits.
Pros
Great Benenfits
Decent place to work
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Uxbridge, ON16 January 2017
Working at great clips gave me the experience and the ability to work on actual customers to increase my courage and experience. The owners that I worked for are good people. The only downside was that I worked in 4 locations all out of Oshawa and for someone who takes the bus, I could spend up to 2 hours on a bus just to get there and another 2 hours to get home, my hours were all over the place and I was in different stores all week. The most enjoyable part of my work was that I got to meet nice people who are great co-workers and were patient with me as I am still an apprentice.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Multiple locations
Very fast paced environment with disappointing financial gain
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  ONTARIO8 January 2017
If you enjoy being a robot, not having proper breaks/lunches and not being paid for a lot of extra hours (cleaning, open/close salon which takes at least 45 minutes and they pay you only for 15 min) then this is the job for you. It is not acceptable for not being paid for extra hours (cleaning etc) that you must do and you'll find this out when you've been trained (if you can call it that) and worked a short while there.
Corporate rules are dictated to owners and enforced by managers which makes you feel like a child and not an adult.. Expectations, and numerical statistics are unrealistic and stress employees to the maximum.and therefore many quit before probation is even over. I have been in this industry for many years and have come to the conclusion corporate hair industries are a disgrace and I've moved on. It's all about $$$$$ not quality over quantity..

Last but not least DON'T join a new Great Clips when they have their grand opening, you'll be worked to death for little in return. You'd think people would at least tip descent when they're getting a a great cut for $4.99.
Pros
be an owner
Cons
working at great clips
Great clips
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC28 September 2016
you are mostly working 8 days in a row, do not get weekends off. days off are all over the place.
you have to be able to do a haircut under 17 minutes or less, have to be able to sell product.
Pros
great tips
Cons
sceduleing
Great job! It is great when you have the right team of people!
stylist (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC11 September 2016
I felt that the management genuinely want always to do what is right and fair! Very fast paced environment so I really enjoyed it!
A place to grow
stylist (Former Employee) –  nanaimo5 September 2016
Good management and a great team to work with. Your always learning through Academy & Product video's. Busy no clientele needed. No set days for the week or times. Doing no chemicals and a good work place.
Pros
Growth through learning
Cons
mandatory working on weekends
Great Clips Nanaimo
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC1 September 2016
Fun environment to work in, as it is a great team to work with. Clients are good. Co workers are fun and friendly. Very little drama which makes it easy to work here. A fair wage and they have benefits. Always room for advancement in the company.
Pros
fair wage, good tips, good hours, good coworkers
Cons
shift work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great Clips. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8