Great Clips Employee Reviews

Terrible
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC23 November 2017
Bad management and terrible pay. Will never work there again . They dont care about quality at all and are terrible people. Stay far away and work literally anywhere else
Very Good Company To Work For
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON22 November 2017
Great Clips is a busy fast paced salon with plenty of customers to go around! I love cutting hair at a quick pace and making the customers happy. Great Clips has plenty of hours to give if you are motivated to come to work and busy. Management is very supportive and cares about your success. Lots of support from the franchisee and corporate staff in the means of training and always answering questions we may have.
Pros
Lots of hours and tips and pay are great.
Cons
Some staff aren't as motivated and you end up picking up their slack
Great clips Great family Great Goals
Manager (Current Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON21 November 2017
I am a manager at Great Clips, I have worked for this company just over 4 years. My first impression of Great Clips was that it was a freindly, accepting and fun place to work. I started as a stylist and after 2 years i was asked to start mamangment training. After Completing my training i fell in love wiht the company. Great Clips really does care more about you.
Pros
Always achivable goal, incentives and plenty of hours, busy salon
Cons
sometimes days are long but always interesting
Great company to work for
Manager (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON20 November 2017
I have been with Great Clips for 3.5 years now and i love it. I came from a high end salon where we sat around most of the day doing 4-5 customers. Now at Great Clips we average 15-20 per shift. I love coming to work and feeling needed and accomplished. Tips are great, atmosphere is great the clientele loves our comfortable vibe within the salon.
Pros
Busy, plenty of learning opportunities that is paid for, great franchisees and management
Cons
Once people get past the "stigma" of working for a branded salon
Great Place
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON16 November 2017
Great Clips is a unique place to work. Good management and they have listened to any concerns I have with different solutions in hand. Great place to improve cutting techniques and do different cuts. Staff all gets along and work together. All in all a great place to work.
Pros
Great team work & energetic place
Cons
no benedfits
Very fast paced
Assistant Manager/Stylist (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC29 October 2017
Very busy salon with a lot of staff. Weekly scheduled shift work. Point of sale systems and computer systems. Weekly staff reviews and quarterly team meetings to boost confidence and excitement among staff.
Fast paced exciting salon...
Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 October 2017
Specialists in cutting and styles so you get to really perfect all aspects of both... good training provided from day one and ongoing support available at all times from management, franchisees and corporate
Pros
No clientele needed.... hourly pay plus bonuses
Cons
Opens 7 days
Productive and Friendly place to work
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC11 October 2017
I worked for Great Clips in Canada for about 3 years. They were very flexible with my personal life and time off that I needed at the time. My boss was very understanding and compassionate and worked with me the best she could to give me a schedule that worked for me. I was promoted to Assistant Manager while I was there, but left shortly after to focus on my wedding plans.
Just your average inexpensive
HAIRSTYLIST (Former Employee) –  16053 97 St. NW, Edmonton20 September 2017
A typical work day was about 6 hours. Part time only. If you only want to cut hair and you like seeing a lot of the same people, this is the place for you. They are also really good about giving discounts to police and military personnel.
Fun gals to work with
Barber Stylist (Current Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC31 July 2017
I was very happy working here but stress took the better of me in the end. I wish the outcome were different but it is what it is.

The girls are quirky and sassy, they defiantly keep things interesting. The Manager is strict but super fun to work for, she is just the greatest!
Pros
Awesome people to work with
Cons
Like every place there's a little drama
very fun, employees are welcoming
Hairstylist/ receptionist (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC10 July 2017
i was only there for 3 weeks but the experience of behind the chair was great, the employees were great and management is very well done. i didn't get paid though but still great experience to my resume
Great atmosphere
Mascot (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC7 July 2017
Great Clips have a lot of really nice staff there that are really good at what they do and will always greet you with a nice smile. When you are getting your hair cut there they will be talking to you all of the time while they do their job to make sure they are doing everything correctly and to you liking.
Pros
Money
Cons
Stand outside all the time
Its good company to work if you need to speed up, learn more skills in haircuting
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON18 June 2017
I did enjoy working with great clips I learn a lot of skills in haircut and my speed improve a lot, but one thing I don't like about great clips policy is that they not caring much about stylist's time, when they salon busy they ask you to stay but when they are slow they call you to go home or come one hour later, think about that you make ready your self for work and then resciving a text message to come later for me it was really annoyed hopefully great clips should take this problem seriesly.
Was a good place to work
Hair stylist (Former Employee) –  Waterdown location11 June 2017
Was okay place to work would want to go back staff was good manager was good great training for me amazing knowledge of products online checking in for the customers
Pros
Family oriented
Cons
Lots was expected of you
fun,easy going, teamwork, friendly
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 June 2017
I really enjoyed being a receptionist for great clips on davie street even if it was for a short time. The staff were lovely and the space was to. I learnt a lot and I also got to learn more about hair while I was there.
It was a good enviroment
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON11 May 2017
I worked receptionist at Great Clips, so my day was being the face of the salon, welcoming our customers and making sure they are satisfied. I learned alot and also met new people and maintained relationships.
Cons
not enough hours
Company doesn't take care of their staff
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area, ON11 May 2017
Work/life balance was practically non-existent even as a part timer. It was nearly impossible to book days off, then was always given a bunch of extra hours and long/late shifts the week prior to and returning from any time off. I would often get called in to work extra shifts on top of my schedule nearly every other week.
When it got busy I was often denied my lunch break, and was not allowed to have water at my work station
There are no benefits or opportunities to advance within the company aside from management positions, and pay is minimum wage. Tips at the location i worked started off okay then got worse over the years as the prices increased.
Management was not fun to deal with, the only thing that kept me around as long as it did was the other stylists being pleasant to work with.
It varies from one location/franchisee to the next, but I would definitely not recommend the one where I worked
Pros
nice staff
Cons
poor scheduling, overworked, underpaid
No room for advancement. No appreciation
Hair stylist (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB2 May 2017
Days off are taken away from you. Get in trouble if you don't finish your cut in under 15 minutes. Don't get to show true talent due to time restrictions. Calling in sick is like killing their first born. Zero appreciation for working your butt off. No chance for a raise except when they have to legally due to min wage increase. You don't get paid for staying after close to clean. Ridiculous company to work for & would never recommend it.
Cons
Poor pay
The company
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BC20 April 2017
Hello to every one who's working in great clips company !!i worked most of great clips an thy great I loved the coworkers an some managers are so good unforgettable,thy do appreciate the work..but work at 85th sw was a experience for me I use to do many hair cuts ,but I got into evident an asked them if u can fill out my medical report that I applied for ei an insurance thy never did..so I never got any financial help from this company,,very bad management,,
Not so Great
Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 April 2017
As a manager it is hard to have a work life balance with this company. The turn over rate is high, a lot of people that work here just come to make a quick buck. The skill level of a lot of the staff is not up to par. The compensation is also not very good.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great Clips. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8