Great Clips

Great Clips Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A great place for beginner stylists
Stylist (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 30, 2013
- Lots of hair cutting experience
- Really push for stylists to finish haircuts in 14-17 mins
- It's a busy environment with walk-ins being the main clientele
my fun workplace is beautysalon
Hair Stylist (Current Employee), Coquitlam, BCSeptember 16, 2013
Cons: part time
the most enjoyable part of job is, to make the clients happy with my own creativity in the hair cuts &i am really good in management .I prefer to get days of work wednesday,saturday & sunday. English is my second language if i wrote anything wrong

please forgive me

Thanks
Great workplace environment, fast paced and fun.
Receptionist (Former Employee), Maple Ridge, BCSeptember 9, 2013
I usually enjoyed going into work, meeting new people and hanging out with the coworkers, I learned how to work a touch screen register and how to have excellent customer service. My coworkers were great, everyone is very friendly there. The hardest part of the job was the slow days, hardest part was standing for eight hours with no chair.
Work
Hairstylist/Receptionist (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 19, 2013
a day at work for me is a day at home , where you would welcome all your clients to come in and have a great time and experience and walk out with a smile , my co -workers were amazing everyone was there to help each other out .
Working with this company has taught me alot and is a very rewarding job!!
Manager/Hair Dresser/Stylist (Former Employee), Courtenay, BCJuly 20, 2012
I worked with Great Clips for 7 yrs and was very happy at my job and treated with alot of respect and gratitude..
There is alot of room to grow and learn.
Hot but pays for stuff
Sign Holder (Former Employee), Cape Coral, FLJuly 23, 2014
I didn't really enjoy going to work but when I needed money it's what I had to do. I would go into an intersection, wave a sign, answer a few questions, 4 hours later I'd be on my way home with $30. It was boring and hot but got money in my pocket.
fun place to work
Receptionist (Former Employee), Duluth , mnJuly 23, 2014
it was a fun job and the people were good.very busy place but Im moving
Loved it wanted change
Hairstylist (Former Employee), Pleasanton, TexasJuly 23, 2014
Pros: benefits, training provided
Cons: non
I loved working at great clips! My boss and co-workers were all GREAT. I definitely learned a lot here and developed my skills in haircutting. The only reason I left was to pursue something I'm more passionate about such as skin care.
slow work place
Hairstylist (Former Employee), west valley, utahJuly 21, 2014
Pros: fun people to work with
Cons: cut in hours
working with customers. being in a team environment. working with customers on a daily basis
Laid back working environment
Receptionist/ Shampoo Tech (Former Employee), Keller, TXJuly 21, 2014
Pros: free haircuts/ colors, first hand exposure to the cosmetology industry
Cons: standing for long periods of time
Open store
Clean entire store
Stock stylists' stations
Input customer info
Shampoo clients
Sweep hair after cuts
Check out clients
Close store

Learned clerical and register skills, Cosmetology skills,Customer service skills

Managers were fun to work with

Co workers helped me with skills that i needed to learn for cosmetology school

Hardest part – more... of the job is the manual labor

Most enjoyable part was the easy going, fun work environment – less
A Great Way to learn how to work in customer service
Hair Stylist (Current Employee), Newport, TNJuly 18, 2014
Pros: easy to schedule days off
Cons: if they offered higher hourly pay it would be the perfect job
I enjoy working at Great Clips in Newport,TN. The staff at this company is pleasant and easy to work with. For a individual right out of beauty school it would be a good stepping stone job to get you used to working with many customers on a daily basis to get the feel of the skills you will be offering.
Work experience at Great Clips
Manager (Former Employee), Wentzville, MOJuly 16, 2014
Pros: always played games for prizes. it really helped out with productivity and product sales.
Cons: had to work every weekend
It was a wonderful place to work. I am a people person so I loved it. The atmosphere was up beat the stylist were great! Management could have been a little more professional as far as being team players but over all a nice place to work.
Great Place to WORK if actually like to WORK :)
Salon Manager (Former Employee), MDJuly 15, 2014
If you like a work environment that offers the benefits of a "mom and pop" business but has the support and backing of a corporate business, this is an ideal place for you.

POTENTIAL PROS:
-flexible work schedule
-great one on one type environment with owners and upper management
-customer flow has the potential to be great
-you can average up to $10 – more... or more an hour in tips
-they offer great health benefits, full health insurance and dental
-they offer base hourly pay so you don't have to worry about a "slow day" ruining your paycheck like you do with "walk-in" commission based salons
-the salon supplies ALL equipment excluding shears, clippers, and trimmers (within MY franchise)
-each franchise is held to strict performance and visual standards which are enforced through visits from corporate auditors
-no chemical services (in MOST franchises) for those that just prefer cuts or have a sensitivity to perm solution/ peroxide
-they offer bonuses for productivity, working Sundays, "firefighter" bonus (this is for filling in at a salon within your franchise where someone has called out or they are short staffed) and closing as well as retail sales, they offer 6 paid holidays to full time employees, and accrued vacation hours to full time employees (these benefits may vary within other franchises)
-they schedule according to business flow, so you don't have 10 stylists fighting over one client AND it sometimes really helps the day fly by because you are going ALL day long AND you can make productivity and AMAZING tip potential
-they offer training and orientation to new (and existing - if needed) employees
-when the company has "haircut sales" you ARE NOT penalized for the discounted price when considering your productivity bonus, they will still credit you the full price of each cut
-they are a HUGE supporter of the military and even offer discounts to active duty military members

POTENTIAL CONS:
-some franchises aren't as reputable as others - SO DO YOUR HOMEWORK before you interview (mine was amazing however)
-there isn't much effort made to work with stylists that may be struggling with the companies standards which can lead to a feeling of little to no job security
-the performance standards are held to SO tightly (because the franchises are graded on how they perform to them) that you can sometimes feel more like a summation of numbers than a person
-the company has time limits on haircuts, because this business is based on valuing your clients time and being quick and convenient its standard for an ideal haircut (from start to finish) is between 12-15 minutes (so if you are a slow cutter - this isn't the place for you)
-some locations and franchises still offer perms
-the starting pay for inexperienced stylists ranges between $8 - $9 an hour (in my particular franchise in MD) but can increase with evaluations and raises and you can supplement that pay with retail sales and productivity bonuses (the bonus is, again, based on your ability to cut fast)
-you're not always guaranteed 40 hours if you're full time BUT you ARE guaranteed a minimum of 33
-your schedule will change week to week
-if you are part time, you're not guaranteed ANY hours if they do not have them (full time gets priority)
-because they schedule according to business flow, sometimes it will only be 2 people per shift, so if you get sick or your co-worker gets sick it can be disastrous and stressful (especially if you get and unexpected rush of clients and you're the type that smokes, eats, or uses the restroom excessively)
-you may have to travel to other salons within your district to work if your salon has a slow week and cannot schedule fulfill your 33 hrs obligation (so if you don't like change, this may be an issue)

This review is not based on solely MY opinions, they are a collection of some of the issues expressed to me by the employees that I oversaw as a manager for this company.

My honest opinion and review is, this is a great place to work and I would definitely consider it again as one of my future employment options. Throughout my 20 year career as a Cosmetologist, I have worked for quite a few corporations and full service salons and I've even taught at a school but this is probably the only place that I have been employed that I can say that I felt I was adequately compensated (through both benefits AND pay) for my experience, training, and knowledge. – less
productive workplace.
Professional Hair Stylist (Current Employee), sandy springs,gaJuly 14, 2014
Pros: friendly envirnment
Cons: no healthcare or real advancement, no benefits
lots of business, must have ability to be a human robot. when the store has a client waiting you are not allowed to break. Some managers I have worked under were complete psychopaths and some were positive pleasant helping angels.
productive
Hairstylist (Former Employee), Carson City, NVJuly 14, 2014
enjoyed learning company techniques and working for the company
Taught me a lot
Hair Stylist (Current Employee), Klamath Falls, ORJuly 9, 2014
Great clips taught me a lot about hair and working in a fast pace environment. I enjoyed getting to know most of the clients as well as the other employees. It would be a great place to work if they payed you justly for the amount of work and flexibility they expect from you.
stay away
stylist (Former Employee), Orlando, FLJuly 8, 2014
Pros: its a job
Cons: everything is horrible nothing motivates you
You are a robot. Company has no respect for you as an individual you are a number and how many people you can get done in 13 min or less.they make you sell products I didn't know that you have to sell product in order to keep job or else they punish you with a retail meeting at 8 am before shop opens on why you sell products for the owner who is beyond – more... greedy not only does he make millions off the stylists but now he makes double off the retail the hairdressers Are forced to sell. This company is a joke and if your hurting for a job this is the place for you. Three years of being a robot is enough for me and when they have coupons you are required to stay no ifs ands or buts. Company makes you travel to other shops with a dollar compensation oh please. Doing 32 haircuts a shift for 8 an hr and they figure your tips they include in your pay They cannot do that cause you will make tips where ever go. So its 8 dollars an hr. To break your back. I personally have more health issues due to the amount of Hair I had to do. I would never work for them even if someone paid me too. Beware the great clips brand in central Florida is horrible. – less
Busy
Salon Manager (Former Employee), Madison Heights, MIJuly 7, 2014
Always a busy day, i loved managing the salon & helping taking care of the girls and customers that were there.
Unhealthy
Manager- Eva Holland (Former Employee), Florence scJuly 3, 2014
You cut hair with out floor mats and you aren't allowed to wear shoes to help us work longer. you stand for 5-6 hours straight. unorganized and rude workers. You never get any raises or benefits
Very productive work enviroment
Store Manager (Former Employee), Spokane, WAJuly 2, 2014
In this position I was able to learn how to manage a team and become a stronger team player. This position gave me the chance to work close with my team as well as the public. While growing in the company I was able to learn management, marketing, and office skills.

1 2 3 4 5