Great Clips Employee Reviews

Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 January 2017
Greet customers and staff. Prepare schedules, inventory, and supplies. Cut, and style hair for customers. Sell them product with features and benefits.
Pros
Great Benenfits
Great Clips Nanaimo
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC1 September 2016
Fun environment to work in, as it is a great team to work with. Clients are good. Co workers are fun and friendly. Very little drama which makes it easy to work here. A fair wage and they have benefits. Always room for advancement in the company.
Pros
fair wage, good tips, good hours, good coworkers
Cons
shift work
I learned a lot from this job and would recommend :)
Hairstylist - Part time (Current Employee) –  Cochrane, AB7 February 2017
A typical day at work was applying my knowledge of cutting and styling here to the client's needs. I learned most about hairstyling by the licensed stylists who were more than happy to help me. The hardest part of a job can be if the stylist doesn't see eye to eye with the client. For example if there is a miscommunication with what the client desires vs. how the stylist interpreted it, but that can happen anywhere. I loved this job because of all the amazing people you get to talk to and get to know. Seeing repeat clients come back to you or to the store is rewarding.
Pros
The people you meet
Cons
The people you meet
Decent place to work
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Uxbridge, ON16 January 2017
Working at great clips gave me the experience and the ability to work on actual customers to increase my courage and experience. The owners that I worked for are good people. The only downside was that I worked in 4 locations all out of Oshawa and for someone who takes the bus, I could spend up to 2 hours on a bus just to get there and another 2 hours to get home, my hours were all over the place and I was in different stores all week. The most enjoyable part of my work was that I got to meet nice people who are great co-workers and were patient with me as I am still an apprentice.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Multiple locations
Very fast paced environment with disappointing financial gain
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  ONTARIO8 January 2017
If you enjoy being a robot, not having proper breaks/lunches and not being paid for a lot of extra hours (cleaning, open/close salon which takes at least 45 minutes and they pay you only for 15 min) then this is the job for you. It is not acceptable for not being paid for extra hours (cleaning etc) that you must do and you'll find this out when you've been trained (if you can call it that) and worked a short while there.
Corporate rules are dictated to owners and enforced by managers which makes you feel like a child and not an adult.. Expectations, and numerical statistics are unrealistic and stress employees to the maximum.and therefore many quit before probation is even over. I have been in this industry for many years and have come to the conclusion corporate hair industries are a disgrace and I've moved on. It's all about $$$$$ not quality over quantity..

Last but not least DON'T join a new Great Clips when they have their grand opening, you'll be worked to death for little in return. You'd think people would at least tip descent when they're getting a a great cut for $4.99.
Pros
be an owner
Cons
working at great clips
A place to grow
stylist (Former Employee) –  nanaimo5 September 2016
Good management and a great team to work with. Your always learning through Academy & Product video's. Busy no clientele needed. No set days for the week or times. Doing no chemicals and a good work place.
Pros
Growth through learning
Cons
mandatory working on weekends
Great job! It is great when you have the right team of people!
stylist (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC11 September 2016
I felt that the management genuinely want always to do what is right and fair! Very fast paced environment so I really enjoyed it!
Great clips
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC28 September 2016
you are mostly working 8 days in a row, do not get weekends off. days off are all over the place.
you have to be able to do a haircut under 17 minutes or less, have to be able to sell product.
Pros
great tips
Cons
sceduleing
Fast Paced family friendly slon
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Duncan, BC9 June 2016
I enjoyed working here, it was busy enough that boredom was never an issue.

The managers did their jobs well and I got along with them.
The hardest part of this job ended up being that it was too far away from school and I couldn't keep working at Great Clips, and also go to school, if I could have stayed with them I would have.
Pros
Wonderful coworkers.
Cons
In the Cowichan Valley, too far away from school.
managment is not good
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC4 January 2016
This company is not a very good place to work at. A typical day at work was basically pounding out clients at a ridiculously fast pace for not a very great amount of money. I did learn how to pick up my speed but I felt as though I was just not taking the proper time to really focus on what my client wanted. Management was terrible. The head manager there acts as though she is in high school and doesn't really seem to care for her employees. The coworkers were very nice. Over-all I would not recommend this place to anyone to work at.
Cons
bad managment, not the greatest pay for what you're doing.
Efficient team workers
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 December 2015
Typical day at work would be to set your station up clean and proper be professional for your customers gives outstanding customer service. The management was great at this location its like a small family connection basis, great team work/support. I love to cut hair so I would say that's the most enjoyable part.
Pros
free food & coffee:)
Cons
could be more pay but no cons about this job!
Terrible workplace, do not waste your time
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 February 2016
Having been a previous manager, I received little to no appreciation for my extra work. My wage was the same as every one else's but I had twice the work load. Staff members are very friendly and supportive. Employer is only concerned with what they are going to profit.
Pros
amazing staff, short hours, tons of clients
Cons
low wage, unreasonable expectations, little apprieciation
I love working at Great Clips
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Ashland, NB6 January 2016
I absolutely love my job. It is a great place to work and everyone treats you great. It has a very laid back atmosphere. Everyday is a great day at Great Clips. Everyone is very nice and I really like my Manager.
Pros
laid back atsmophere
Cons
nothing
Fast-paced, high energy job
MANAGER (Current Employee) –  British Columbia23 December 2015
On average, myself and my employees would do between 17-25 haircuts per day. I learned to do quality haircuts in a short amount of time. The hardest part of my job was accomodating the staffs scheduling needs. The most enjoyable part was the customer interaction.
poor establishement
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB27 July 2015
lots of drama
nothing that i already new
poor management
great people
looking at other do bad work
leaving at night

i company that hires new stylist fresh out of school
Pros
free time for lunch
Cons
not pleasant to work in
my fun workplace is beautysalon
Hair Stylist (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC16 September 2013
the most enjoyable part of job is, to make the clients happy with my own creativity in the hair cuts &i am really good in management .I prefer to get days of work wednesday,saturday & sunday. English is my second language if i wrote anything wrong

please forgive me

Thanks
Cons
part time
Mediocre work places
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge BC23 February 2015
I was a receptionist not a hair dresser so the work was easy and the pay was sufficient. Fellow employees often bickered and made for a tense work place.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
great place to start out
Inventory, cashier and customer service (Former Employee) –  maple ridge, british columiba19 November 2014
worked there for 2.5 years and had a great time with staff and clients, and getting to know every one who came through the door
Pros
busy times.
Cons
(some locations managements) and some locations are slow
Productive fun work place
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON30 April 2015
Great Clips has a good working atmosphere with a team of staff who are driven and professional. You are always busy as there are always returning customers and new customers who walk away happy with their hair cut. It was a wonderful opportunity to work in such a great work environment and have the customers leaving happy.
Great workplace environment, fast paced and fun.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC9 September 2013
I usually enjoyed going into work, meeting new people and hanging out with the coworkers, I learned how to work a touch screen register and how to have excellent customer service. My coworkers were great, everyone is very friendly there. The hardest part of the job was the slow days, hardest part was standing for eight hours with no chair.

2.8