Great Clips Employee Reviews

Company doesn't take care of their staff
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area, ON11 May 2017
Work/life balance was practically non-existent even as a part timer. It was nearly impossible to book days off, then was always given a bunch of extra hours and long/late shifts the week prior to and returning from any time off. I would often get called in to work extra shifts on top of my schedule nearly every other week.
When it got busy I was often denied my lunch break, and was not allowed to have water at my work station
There are no benefits or opportunities to advance within the company aside from management positions, and pay is minimum wage. Tips at the location i worked started off okay then got worse over the years as the prices increased.
Management was not fun to deal with, the only thing that kept me around as long as it did was the other stylists being pleasant to work with.
It varies from one location/franchisee to the next, but I would definitely not recommend the one where I worked
Pros
nice staff
Cons
poor scheduling, overworked, underpaid
No room for advancement. No appreciation
Hair stylist (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB2 May 2017
Days off are taken away from you. Get in trouble if you don't finish your cut in under 15 minutes. Don't get to show true talent due to time restrictions. Calling in sick is like killing their first born. Zero appreciation for working your butt off. No chance for a raise except when they have to legally due to min wage increase. You don't get paid for staying after close to clean. Ridiculous company to work for & would never recommend it.
Cons
Poor pay
The company
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BC20 April 2017
Hello to every one who's working in great clips company !!i worked most of great clips an thy great I loved the coworkers an some managers are so good unforgettable,thy do appreciate the work..but work at 85th sw was a experience for me I use to do many hair cuts ,but I got into evident an asked them if u can fill out my medical report that I applied for ei an insurance thy never did..so I never got any financial help from this company,,very bad management,,
Not so Great
Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 April 2017
As a manager it is hard to have a work life balance with this company. The turn over rate is high, a lot of people that work here just come to make a quick buck. The skill level of a lot of the staff is not up to par. The compensation is also not very good.
Cons
A great and positive environment, a fun place to work and grow
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Pitt Meadows, BC12 April 2017
Every day was a new day, with new clientele coming in all the time, it allowed you to grow even more in not only your cutting/styling skills, but also your own personal skills.
Can be a fun place to work but..
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Durham Region, ON21 February 2017
All the stylists are fun to work with. Not much drama.

Head Office is never there unless there is something they don't like happening. Doesn't care to do to get involved properly when they should be.

Managers may seem like they have power to do what managers should but they don't. They need permission from head office for every thing the need to do even when Head Office says they don't.

Head Office doesn't value their stylists at all. As far as they are concerned, stylists are highly replaceable.

Minimum wage but able to make more if you work at a busy salon.

No benefits and no raises at all.
Pros
Fun and low drama
Cons
long hrs, low wages, no benifits, poor management/ head office
I learned a lot from this job and would recommend :)
Hairstylist - Part time (Current Employee) –  Cochrane, AB7 February 2017
A typical day at work was applying my knowledge of cutting and styling here to the client's needs. I learned most about hairstyling by the licensed stylists who were more than happy to help me. The hardest part of a job can be if the stylist doesn't see eye to eye with the client. For example if there is a miscommunication with what the client desires vs. how the stylist interpreted it, but that can happen anywhere. I loved this job because of all the amazing people you get to talk to and get to know. Seeing repeat clients come back to you or to the store is rewarding.
Pros
The people you meet
Cons
The people you meet
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 January 2017
Greet customers and staff. Prepare schedules, inventory, and supplies. Cut, and style hair for customers. Sell them product with features and benefits.
Pros
Great Benenfits
Decent place to work
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Uxbridge, ON16 January 2017
Working at great clips gave me the experience and the ability to work on actual customers to increase my courage and experience. The owners that I worked for are good people. The only downside was that I worked in 4 locations all out of Oshawa and for someone who takes the bus, I could spend up to 2 hours on a bus just to get there and another 2 hours to get home, my hours were all over the place and I was in different stores all week. The most enjoyable part of my work was that I got to meet nice people who are great co-workers and were patient with me as I am still an apprentice.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Multiple locations
Very fast paced environment with disappointing financial gain
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  ONTARIO8 January 2017
If you enjoy being a robot, not having proper breaks/lunches and not being paid for a lot of extra hours (cleaning, open/close salon which takes at least 45 minutes and they pay you only for 15 min) then this is the job for you. It is not acceptable for not being paid for extra hours (cleaning etc) that you must do and you'll find this out when you've been trained (if you can call it that) and worked a short while there.
Corporate rules are dictated to owners and enforced by managers which makes you feel like a child and not an adult.. Expectations, and numerical statistics are unrealistic and stress employees to the maximum.and therefore many quit before probation is even over. I have been in this industry for many years and have come to the conclusion corporate hair industries are a disgrace and I've moved on. It's all about $$$$$ not quality over quantity..

Last but not least DON'T join a new Great Clips when they have their grand opening, you'll be worked to death for little in return. You'd think people would at least tip descent when they're getting a a great cut for $4.99.
Pros
be an owner
Cons
working at great clips
Great clips
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC28 September 2016
you are mostly working 8 days in a row, do not get weekends off. days off are all over the place.
you have to be able to do a haircut under 17 minutes or less, have to be able to sell product.
Pros
great tips
Cons
sceduleing
Great job! It is great when you have the right team of people!
stylist (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC11 September 2016
I felt that the management genuinely want always to do what is right and fair! Very fast paced environment so I really enjoyed it!
A place to grow
stylist (Former Employee) –  nanaimo5 September 2016
Good management and a great team to work with. Your always learning through Academy & Product video's. Busy no clientele needed. No set days for the week or times. Doing no chemicals and a good work place.
Pros
Growth through learning
Cons
mandatory working on weekends
Great Clips Nanaimo
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC1 September 2016
Fun environment to work in, as it is a great team to work with. Clients are good. Co workers are fun and friendly. Very little drama which makes it easy to work here. A fair wage and they have benefits. Always room for advancement in the company.
Pros
fair wage, good tips, good hours, good coworkers
Cons
shift work
Fast Paced family friendly slon
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Duncan, BC9 June 2016
I enjoyed working here, it was busy enough that boredom was never an issue.

The managers did their jobs well and I got along with them.
The hardest part of this job ended up being that it was too far away from school and I couldn't keep working at Great Clips, and also go to school, if I could have stayed with them I would have.
Pros
Wonderful coworkers.
Cons
In the Cowichan Valley, too far away from school.
Terrible workplace, do not waste your time
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 February 2016
Having been a previous manager, I received little to no appreciation for my extra work. My wage was the same as every one else's but I had twice the work load. Staff members are very friendly and supportive. Employer is only concerned with what they are going to profit.
Pros
amazing staff, short hours, tons of clients
Cons
low wage, unreasonable expectations, little apprieciation
I love working at Great Clips
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Ashland, NB6 January 2016
I absolutely love my job. It is a great place to work and everyone treats you great. It has a very laid back atmosphere. Everyday is a great day at Great Clips. Everyone is very nice and I really like my Manager.
Pros
laid back atsmophere
Cons
nothing
managment is not good
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC4 January 2016
This company is not a very good place to work at. A typical day at work was basically pounding out clients at a ridiculously fast pace for not a very great amount of money. I did learn how to pick up my speed but I felt as though I was just not taking the proper time to really focus on what my client wanted. Management was terrible. The head manager there acts as though she is in high school and doesn't really seem to care for her employees. The coworkers were very nice. Over-all I would not recommend this place to anyone to work at.
Cons
bad managment, not the greatest pay for what you're doing.
Fast-paced, high energy job
MANAGER (Current Employee) –  British Columbia23 December 2015
On average, myself and my employees would do between 17-25 haircuts per day. I learned to do quality haircuts in a short amount of time. The hardest part of my job was accomodating the staffs scheduling needs. The most enjoyable part was the customer interaction.
Efficient team workers
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 December 2015
Typical day at work would be to set your station up clean and proper be professional for your customers gives outstanding customer service. The management was great at this location its like a small family connection basis, great team work/support. I love to cut hair so I would say that's the most enjoyable part.
Pros
free food & coffee:)
Cons
could be more pay but no cons about this job!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great Clips. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8