Great Canadian Dollar Store Employee Reviews

Good company, bad manager
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB, Riverbend Square23 October 2017
Overall was a good experience, the manager at the branch I was at tended to micro-manage to the extreme. The brand is good, the manager not so much. The store was always clean, and expectations of employees was rational. Training was comprehensive.
Pros
Great Scheduling, good training and clean.
Cons
Tempestuous manager
Great
Customer Service/Cashier, Merchandiser, IT Support (Former Employee) –  Fairview, AB6 October 2017
working at the great canadian dollar store was probably the best job i have had. the people were awesome, the working conditions were cool and the environment was relaxed.
Dishonest, cowardly
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New Minas, NS12 September 2017
Without a doubt the most dishonest company and management I've ever known. Break promises almost every day, very "clicky" and love to jerk you around behind your back. Little to no integrity or courtesy. Be very very careful and be warned!
Pros
No longer being associated with such a sham company
Cons
Everything said in review, and then some.
It was a demanding job with lots of deadlines
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC28 August 2017
Never a dull moment, hard to balance all aspects of the job, never could get a good flow going as always being pulled from one project to another. Manager was amazing woman.
Not a very fun workplace, awful manager.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 August 2017
This job was alright to an extent. It had it's ups and downs but mostly downs, the manager was very strict and practically fired all part time employees so he could have full time employees. Not to mention that you make one tiny mistake and you get yelled at even though you did not know and it was a minor mistake. Sells good products and the place is relatively clean, was paid 30 cents above minimum wage and the place has many cameras keeping a good eye out for anyone who tries to steal. Hardest part of the job was easy and that was mopping and sweeping the floors, however you are required to stand for most if not your whole shift. I give it a 2/5 because management was absolutely awful, salary was good but there was no benefits to working there such as employee discount.
Pros
Paid 30 cents above minimum wage, store was kept tidy.
Cons
Awful management, standing up for entire shift, employees are not very well trained at all, awful training program, no benefits
Productive and wide range of experiences
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC1 August 2017
Your day depends on who the manager is that day. Most of the time it varies but always something different to do each day not the same routine that you'd get bored of anywhere else. Huge range of different skills you can and will learn with this company.
Pros
family oriented
Cons
private business small possibilities of growth
Fun workplace that respects employees
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Alberton, PE23 July 2017
One of the best overall jobs I have had. The work is fun and the people are friendly. Advancement was quick, lots of room for promotions. The only problem was the lack of benefits. There was zero medical or even a store discount.
Pros
Friendly Enviroment
Cons
Not alot of benefits such as a discounts or dental
Easy going and perosnable
Clerk at Great Canadian Dollar Store #118 (Current Employee) –  Fort Nelson, BC12 July 2017
The Great Canadian Dollar Store 118 in Fort Nelson BC is owned an operated by my mother.
A typical day is pretty easy going, with daily cleaning and or stock, facing and customer service.
I learnt how to operate debit machines, cash, helping customers, pricing stock, organizing shelves, and filling helium balloons.
Difficulties mainly stemmed from difficult customers.
Pros
Gained knowledge in retail.
casihier
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Alberta9 July 2017
It was a good company to work for. With fair management and easy hours No complaints about it . Would work there again, and would recommend to others.
Fun place to work
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC8 June 2017
Workplace is very good, co-workers are awesome. Flexible time and working hours is very convenient. Everyone is cooperative and everyone is helping each other.

Want to know more about Great Canadian Dollar Store?

Ask a question
Good Customer service
customer service, front end (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC13 March 2017
Priority to help customers! Large selection of high end stock. Clean. Good place to work but keyholders need to have higher income with the responsibility.
Pros
Neighbourhood store
Cons
Key holders are not compensated for the responsibility.
I would go in and start paper work
senior clerk (Former Employee) –  Florenceville, NB7 March 2017
every job isnt the same and i loved working with new people a bad day at work was when someone didnt do there job sandra was the manager at the dollar store and some day she would make the day hard when she would come in in a bad mood
Fun work place
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC5 March 2017
I have enjoyed working with the customers and my computer workers. The job is close to home. The hours work well for me because my daughter is in high school. It allows me to be there for her before and after school.
Great place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL17 February 2017
I loved working there always friendly
great people to work with
Great atmosphere
Great products and prices
The only issue was not having job security
it is a fun job at times
senior clark (Former Employee) –  Florenceville, NB22 May 2016
the hardest part of the job was to get some workers to do what they needed to be doing. so if it didnt get done i would go do it myself so it would be done and i would take to the manger about it later to just let them know
Pros
two 15 min break
Cons
hours was like 25 a week
Its all fun and games
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sylvan Lake, AB5 May 2016
Your everyday duties at The Great Canadian Dollar Store included, handling the cash register, doing up balloon orders, putting stock away, filling the shelves. I learned that customer service goes a long way. Management for the most part was really great. They worked with you to give you the time off that you needed. The co-workers, lets put it this way... it was never a dull moment. The hardest part of the job was balancing the dollar store half and the sears outlet at the back of the store when you were the only person there. The most enjoyable part of the job, was making balloon bouquets.
Pros
hour lunches
Cons
closing alone
very much enjoy working here, love the customers, and people i work with
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC16 October 2015
I enjoy working here. It is fun and i get to deal with customers, which I quite enjoy. And where the store is, means I know a lot of the customers. I enjoy helping people find what they are looking for.
Was a great place to work.. owners where like family.
Cashier/Customer Service... Manager (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON25 August 2015
Started my day at work at 8:30. Opened the store and set up cashes for workers. Took and received orders , priced merchandise and put on the floor. Managed the workers breaks and lunches and relieved them when needed. I enjoyed this job as it gave me many opportunities to do different jobs and interact with the public . I balanced the tills in the evening and did bank deposits. I loved working for this store as my boss was such a great person and friend.
Pros
Got to do many jobs so nothing got boring.
Cons
Kept busy all the time but enjoyed it.
Productive workplace, learned new skills.
Owner / Operator (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, AB12 March 2015
Operated all day to day duties including handling a five person staff team. Handled all contracts, suppliers, ordering, A/P A/R, all clerical duties.
Not the Best Place to Work
Cashier / Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Canmore, AB5 January 2015
The Great Canadian Dollar Store is not a great place to work. A usual day revolves around an often cluttered schedule where you're pricing and putting away items on often over crowded shelves and walls then working on old tills that are not very reliable and require the price of each item to be punched in manually. Closing is often a hassle as one employee must go through all of the overstocked shelves and walls and pick out the items that were misplaced and put them back to where they belong. This task in itself is tedious and must be done before closing the store. If one item is out of place and the boss happens to find it, the punishment is often receiving either a lecture or being yelled at. The distrust is also quite stressful. If you're suspected of stealing, lying, or talking about another employe in a negative way even outside of the workplace the boss will get all of the other employees to 'spy' on you and watch your every movements. Anything from an off gesture to even private facebook statuses could possibly be reported and is often taken way out of context. Most of them are started by simple rumors or misunderstandings and the only way to figure out if you're being 'spied' on is if someone tells you. It's an awful experience. Mopping the store is even worse as the floor is quite large and it is expected to be scrubbed and white. My boss had broken the mop in front of me as she was trying to demonstrate, I often went home with a terrible back that would sometimes cause me to collapse or be unable to move the next morning. Problems with the till would often result  more... in blame being place upon those using it as well. The same night the boss had done the cash out and was missing a receipt to a $50 purchase. Rather then looking for it as it had been found the next day she immediately blamed me for it and took the money out of my paycheck. Even after the receipt was found she never paid me that money. Certain shifts were not planned wisely either. I had been working part time but after working a shift till midnight on a friday for a town wide event she had scheduled me in for two morning shifts even after I had asked for one of those days off. I had also worked a closing shift the day before and she wasn't understaffed in the slightest. Even after asking multiple times to change my shift she wouldn't. My friend who had worked alongside me has also had terrible experiences working there. She had suffered from a concussion trying to place jars on a top shelf while standing on a ladder. They fell on her and she had went to the hospital. When she was released the boss asked for a doctors note and when she gave it to her she stated that it must have been false because of a previous employee forging doctors notes in the past. She had been forced to work a day before she was deemed well enough to work. Other employees were pulled to the back and yelled at for simple things such as smoking on their breaks or making a simple pricing mistake. For less then minimum wage this job is not worth it. The only good thing about this job is that they'll hire you despite what you look like or how much experience you have. Most of the staff isn't too bad, but it's often changing constantly and no one really stays for too long. But I'll save you the trouble, don't work here.  less
Pros
No Work Experience Needed
Cons
Too Many to List