Great Canadian Dollar Store Employee Reviews

Not a very fun workplace, awful manager.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 August 2017
This job was alright to an extent. It had it's ups and downs but mostly downs, the manager was very strict and practically fired all part time employees so he could have full time employees. Not to mention that you make one tiny mistake and you get yelled at even though you did not know and it was a minor mistake. Sells good products and the place is relatively clean, was paid 30 cents above minimum wage and the place has many cameras keeping a good eye out for anyone who tries to steal. Hardest part of the job was easy and that was mopping and sweeping the floors, however you are required to stand for most if not your whole shift. I give it a 2/5 because management was absolutely awful, salary was good but there was no benefits to working there such as employee discount.
Pros
Paid 30 cents above minimum wage, store was kept tidy.
Cons
Awful management, standing up for entire shift, employees are not very well trained at all, awful training program, no benefits
Productive and wide range of experiences
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC1 August 2017
Your day depends on who the manager is that day. Most of the time it varies but always something different to do each day not the same routine that you'd get bored of anywhere else. Huge range of different skills you can and will learn with this company.
Pros
family oriented
Cons
private business small possibilities of growth
casihier
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Alberta9 July 2017
It was a good company to work for. With fair management and easy hours No complaints about it . Would work there again, and would recommend to others.
Fun place to work
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC8 June 2017
Workplace is very good, co-workers are awesome. Flexible time and working hours is very convenient. Everyone is cooperative and everyone is helping each other.
Good Customer service
customer service, front end (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC13 March 2017
Priority to help customers! Large selection of high end stock. Clean. Good place to work but keyholders need to have higher income with the responsibility.
Pros
Neighbourhood store
Cons
Key holders are not compensated for the responsibility.
Great place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL17 February 2017
I loved working there always friendly
great people to work with
Great atmosphere
Great products and prices
The only issue was not having job security
it is a fun job at times
senior clark (Former Employee) –  Florenceville, NB22 May 2016
the hardest part of the job was to get some workers to do what they needed to be doing. so if it didnt get done i would go do it myself so it would be done and i would take to the manger about it later to just let them know
Pros
two 15 min break
Cons
hours was like 25 a week
very much enjoy working here, love the customers, and people i work with
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC16 October 2015
I enjoy working here. It is fun and i get to deal with customers, which I quite enjoy. And where the store is, means I know a lot of the customers. I enjoy helping people find what they are looking for.
Was a great place to work.. owners where like family.
Cashier/Customer Service... Manager (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON25 August 2015
Started my day at work at 8:30. Opened the store and set up cashes for workers. Took and received orders , priced merchandise and put on the floor. Managed the workers breaks and lunches and relieved them when needed. I enjoyed this job as it gave me many opportunities to do different jobs and interact with the public . I balanced the tills in the evening and did bank deposits. I loved working for this store as my boss was such a great person and friend.
Pros
Got to do many jobs so nothing got boring.
Cons
Kept busy all the time but enjoyed it.
Productive workplace, learned new skills.
Owner / Operator (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, AB12 March 2015
Operated all day to day duties including handling a five person staff team. Handled all contracts, suppliers, ordering, A/P A/R, all clerical duties.
productive place to work.
Cashier/Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Goulds, NL9 November 2014
I Worked a 7 hr day. I learned cash and merchandising. Got along with my co-workers and enjoyed lunch breaks with them. The hardest part of my job was dealing with difficult customers. Overall it was a full-filling day!
Pros
providing great customer service.
My review of Great Canadian Dollar Store
Customer Service Representative/Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON9 October 2014
My time at the Dollar store was the best expirence ever. I was hired as Key holder. I opened / closed store. I would do Merchanising from scratch. Did window displays. I would run cash and within a year I was Asst. Store Manager. I would handle all store duties from doing Bank deposits to Ordering product to handleing co-workers concerns and schedules.

I learned about markups as well as ordering.

My manager was great to work for. he listened to my ideas and concerns.

And my co-workers were helpful. In a management position I had a good working relationship with my co-workers

The hardest part of this job was not taking it home. I found I would be thinking of work related ideas or concerns to address the next day.

The best part??? was the feeling of satisfaction at the end of the day that some how I made a difference to my customers that day
Pros
close to home, reasonable hours
Cons
store was closed
first job experience as cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 June 2013
good management and friendly and organized atmosphere to work at
Pros
free lunches in a month
co-workers were friendly
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Bay Roberts, NL2 April 2013
store was very busy which was good, realy likes the product in the store
Pros
lots of hrs
Cons
sometime there was stressful enviroment
Productive, enjoyable, fun, educational each day
Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON16 September 2012
Even though each day started out with the same job requirements it would always end up with new experiences..the staff, the customers, the sales reps, head office would add to the diversity of the workday. It was not always good but it would be a learning experience, this is what I would love..being abe to figure out how to deal with new dilemas I loved my staff, the owner of the franchise, the territory manager, and head office. This company was the best to work for..I just wish the locations didn't have to close
Pros
wonderful company to work for..family run with family first values
Cons
not enough franchises in my area to transfer to when others closed down