Great Canadian Casinos

Great Canadian Casinos Employee Reviews

Fun workplace, good benefits and salary. Work shifts are hard as I work night/graveyard shifts.
Surveillance Operator (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCMarch 30, 2016
My work is a fun place to work at. We do a lot of multi-tasking, answering phones, radio calls, computer work, such as entering new data, checking on patron's information in order to authorize large money transactions, opening Incidents at Casino, checking on self-excluded patron status.
It is hard to have a good balance with life and work, as we work night/graveyard shifts for 10 hrs per night.
Pros
free breakfast, lunch and dinner. Good health benefits.
Cons
Long hours. Graveyard shifts.
Supportive, Friendly Team Atmosphere
Assistant Food & Beverage Manager (Current Employee) –  ChilliwackOctober 21, 2015
From day one working for this company I felt welcomed, appreciated, and supported from everyone there. This feeling has only increased with time. The more I learn about the company values, policies and benefits, the more sure I am that this company cares about both it's employees and guests. There are great medical benefits, profit sharing, and employee recognition programs. The company is active in many charities, and encourages their employees to be involved as well, which adds to the atmosphere of caring. Most people working in this location are friendly, positive and helpful; all working as a team. I have never before in my life enjoyed going to work as much as I do here. I work in the restaurant (the Well), and it is such a welcome change to be serving food of a high quality for a reasonable price. It makes customer service so much easier when you are proud of what you are selling, and when your company stands by your level of service, which this one does. I hope to be with this company for a very long time, and would strongly encourage hardworking, friendly, helpful people to join this team. You won't regret it!
Pros
Great benefits, promotion from within, employee recognition programs
Ok place to work
Security current (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCJuly 29, 2016
I work in the security department for all 12 years. It is a very demanding job you must have diplomacy good work ethics and be able to work well with others. The management team is great and fun to work with as long as you do your job and not slack off it's a great place to work. I just wish the corporate manager would recognize on hard work and come out and see this what we do. Are department manager is great as well shift manager and supervisors. We are often not recognized by corporate but criticized for not providing 100% customer service. Over the last 12 years are job title has become more customer service then security. Overall it is above industry standard wages and still a great place to work.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Sometimes unappreciated staff meals
Horrible Environment and Managers
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCAugust 22, 2016
I worked here for 10 years in the Cash Cage at different sites and watched the company go from Great to Horrible. They fired many long time managers who made going to work each day worth it. They promoted many people who were lazy and horrible at their jobs and treated us low level employees very bad. I'm glad I left when I did because I've heard that it's gotten worse. It's no wonder they've unionized. The leadership of this company is unfit.
Pros
Good money with tips
Cons
Managers, Directors and Executives are all liars, no work life balance, no appreciation, very cliquey
Use as a stepping stone only.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCMay 30, 2016
Great social environment, co-workers are some of the nicest, down to earth people you could hope to meet. All very helpful and friendly.
The job itself is unfulfilling. The employer treats you like a suspect. Extreme protocol and procedure, standing like a statue for long periods. Shifts suck unless your a long term veteran. A lot of the patrons are either drunk frat boys or troubled with gambling addiction and as security, it's your job to deal with both and smile politely while your doing it for chump change. Very high turn over rate so low level managers are inexperienced and under pressure while experienced managers are miserable and petty. No avenue for you to give input or to express your concerns before they turn into complaints. Overall it's disappointing, definitely not a career but possibly a stepping stone to one.
Pros
Fantastic front line staff
Cons
It's a cold uncaring institution
as a Chef only work here if in need of a job...
Demi Chef (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCSeptember 9, 2016
- Trained, experienced colleagues undervalued
- untrained, inexperienced colleagues employed at equal rank as trained professionals...
- pay mediocre
- learning nothing new, only expected to teach equal ranked much less experienced colleagues
- no business reputation for CV purposes
Pros
health benefits, uniforms provided plenty
Cons
no guaranteed minimum hours, no recognition of experience and background, horrific staff food being mandatory charged for, exploitation of experienced staff
Worst place to work!
Card Dealer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCJune 18, 2016
The only thing that's good about this company are the health benefits. That's it! They have free meals for employees but the foods are really disgusting. I think even dogs won't eat it! Very low salary, bland environment, most workers are racist, and most of them are bias. I warn you not to work here, you'll just regret every single thing for working in this company! Better work in a company where you can grow as a person and could give you a better future.
Pros
Health Benefits, MSP
Cons
EVERY SINGLE THING!
Not recomended as an empoyer at Dawson Creek
security officer (Current Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BCOctober 30, 2014
The company has a terrible time keeping staff. Its really disheartening to work with cowokers who all want to leave. the only way to make money in this place is to work the gaming floor which is riddled with long hours, no overtime and no happy employees. The security job starts $14.65 an hour while 80 kms away the same job in FSJ makes $17 an hour to start but is run by a different company. they have benefits but they have been getting smaller and smaller as years go by. You cant blame the management of the site for low pay job but some of the penny pinching is too much. I do NOT recommend this employer unless you get into gaming. Also the other company's Pay for the GPEB application which requires a passport photo. $70.00
Pros
friendly coworkers, paychecks have not bounced
Cons
no overtime, long days, not enough pay for the northern living
Could be better if changes were made.
Cook 1 (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BCMarch 19, 2016
Not the greatest place to work. The managers in f&b hide through out the day. They can be hard to find, so staff is left poorly managed. Many people are unhappy with their job and talk about leaving all the time.
They hire bodies, some staff whom don't have experience leave those with experience to work 2 to 3 times harder in a given day.
Cons
Poorly managed /most staff hate their job
Good place to work, with good benefits, great interaction with guests.
Guest Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCNovember 30, 2012
Fun place to work. Lots of Guests, with different needs to fulfill. Explain current promotions, get guests excited about their participation in promotions, up date points cards, encourage sign up of said card. Telephone reception which includes transfering calls to other departments, explaining promotions, and any information caller may need regarding casino, the address and how to drive to our location. Interaction with guest is the most enjoyable part of my day, Great supportive co-workers, I have learned to do my job very well and be a souce of help to both guests and co-workers. The most difficult part of my job is working different times of any day. eg: one day I could work a day shift and another day I could work evenings or even graveyard. But generally I have adapted but would like more consistency in this regard/
Pros
benefits, profit sharing
Cons
scheduling
Horrible company to work for, stay away
Front line employee (Former Employee) –  OntarioSeptember 23, 2016
I promise you they are not a "Fun place to work" and you will NOT create "Great and memorable guest experiences". They have shown that they do not care about the employees, they are just a number to them. They destroyed the "TEAM" environment and they expect too much from everyone. They said from day 1 that all they care about is the money and they have shown it. Customer service is at the bottom of their list of things to care about. Instead of hiring appropriate staff for each department, they expect other departments to help out wherever it is needed. (Dealers serving customers in the restaurant is a simple example) They don't believe in communication or sharing information with the front line staff, which has led to many complications. There are too many department managers wondering the gaming floor managing the entire building as opposed to their own department. Employees have no idea who to listen to and it has created fear over losing their job if they don't do as they are told.
Great Canadian Gaming claims to be an equal opportunity employer but that has yet to be seen. The Eastern regional manager, Andy, has been heard saying "any woman under the age of 50 should not be in a management position" and "where are all your hot, young servers?". Since Jan, there hasn't been a single female hired, or even promoted into a managers position. Coincidence? Its just one big "Boys Club" with the managers.

Don't be fooled by the fake reviews, they are not good people. STAY AWAY!!!!!
Pros
The salary is ok, if you were a previous OLG employee
Cons
poor work life balance, not valued as an employee, they just don't care about anything other then the money
exciting since there were lots of guests internal nor external
Card Dealer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCMay 4, 2016
Day at work or should i say night work will always be fun, exciting and clueless afterwards. Fun meeting new guests; exciting wherein you'll find out which table and guests gonna win more or loose and who gonna tip you and not tip you and give rewards for your hardwork and for cheering them which one better; clueless since you don't know will happen later of your shift. If its busy or not and you will just stand on the table and keep n eye to your table for safety and security of your chips.
I've learned and I still keep on learning different language, how to deal and dealt more with a guests that has lots of money, how to control more and manage your patient and how to comfort and convince guests that are loosing more instead of winning. Management were helpful especially on schedule and table games. They were fair and there were equal treatment at all times. Co-workers were great. They will keep on teaching you and supporting you and motivate you until you'll be the one to do the same to the newly hired dealers or new comers in any Department. Hardest part of job was like repetitive job so sometimes injury will come along but then still you'll keep working for your family. Most enjoyable part over all is meeting different types of people from different countries and became good friends later on. The more you have friends the more you'll enjoy life and discovered new things from them and learned from each other.
Pros
good benefits and great food
Cons
long travel time
Superior core values and a great stepping stone.
Security Officer, River Rock Casino resort (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCDecember 20, 2012
I don't like casinos and don't gamble, yet for a year I had enjoyed an extraordinary experience on a professional and personal level. As a security officer I had the pleasure of sensing comradery and teamwork (resembling my military service). From my supervisors and managers I received objective support and guidance in times of need. Great Canadian Casinos and River Rock Casino in particular believe that hard work and dedication deserve rewarding and truly know how to utilize the unique sets of skills accumulated by its professionals.
If you're honest, trustworthy and customer service oriented you probably will find a home there for a long time. Having said that RRCR is a demanding, competitive (and fun) work environment, most of the people have high work ethics and take pride in their jobs, if you don't take your work seriously you might have a rough time making friends. If your applying for a job with Security bear in mind this is NOT your regular security gig, be prepared to resolve problems with diplomacy...
Hope you enjoy your experience as much as I did.
Pros
3 meals a day, great benifits, good pay and rewarding work environment
Cons
long hours, fast paced
Great Canadian Casino
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCAugust 9, 2015
It is quiet a well paying job because of the tips you make on top of your wage. All the dealers pool there tips for an hourly wage which ends up working out to about $20 an hour. The hardest part of the job is the standing and the hours because the casino is open 24hr/365 days a year.
An exciting, fast paced competitive environment.
Slot Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCAugust 27, 2012
A good company that provided opportunity to advance and improve ones skill set.

2.9