Great Blue Heron Casino Employee Reviews

Horrible Experience
I.T. Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Port Perry, on28 July 2017
I've worked here long enough (5 years) to know that this place is cheap and greedy. Unless you really have a desire to be unhappy in life, do not apply here.
Pros
Benefits if fulltime
Cons
Corrupt
Great place to work....
Employee (Current Employee) –  Port Perry, ON22 July 2017
Great place to work, but with a toxic work environment too many people have worked there too long and feel entitled. lower supervisors try to help when they can, but always seemed to be short staffed.
Exciting Place to work
Coin Cage Operator (Former Employee) –  Port Perry, ON29 November 2016
Great Blue Heron was a fantastic environment with caring staff and management that always strove to make the workplace enjoyable. A typical day was always busy and challenging with the staff and the time seemed to fly by as we helped our customers enjoy their time with The Great Blue Heron.
Work at Great Blue Heron
Maintenance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Port Perry, ON9 May 2016
Work was interesting. Changed frequently while having the same scheduled tasks. They kept up my certifications for WHMIS, working at heights and working with chemicals. Management was good, while requiring the bias to be removed. Generally co-workers were good to get along with and we worked as a team.

One of the hardest things is the moving among shifts and the feeling of being watched at all times.

On a whole, the casino was an enjoyable place to work.
Pros
Discounted food
Cons
Odd hours
Fun Place to work
Gaming Inspector (Current Employee) –  Port Perry, ON31 March 2016
I enjoy my job, but after 14 years of service to the company I would have thought by now I would at least be able to have weekends off on a regular basis
Pros
great benifits/ good wages
Cons
no work life balance
Enjoyable place to work, great experience!
Sous Chef (Current Employee) –  Port Perry, ON2 October 2015
It is always a different day, never the same here! You are able to meet new guests, new employees in different departments, new challenges and always a new promotion to promote!
Pros
Excellent benefits package, RRSP program, wages
Cons
No room for movement upwards
Difficult
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Port Perry14 August 2014
Difficult working environment
Very fast-paced environment
Large main kitchen
Medium-sized prep kitchen
Fun Workplace With Excitement
Croupier (Former Employee) –  Port Perry, ON12 May 2014
Free training to advance your position and learn new games. Management with visible and worked hard to make sure the company ran well.
Pros
20 Minute Breaks After Every 1 HR 20 Minutes Worked
Cons
Standing for Long Periods of Time
Typical Day
Housekeeping Attendant (Former Employee) –  Port Perry, ON28 January 2014
We would start in the morning with a daily meeting to discuss the day at hand, we were then provided a schedule in which we knew what we were to be doing for that specific day so it worked out well. I found there were too many supervisors, everyone wanted to be a boss. I met some good people while i worked there though so it was not bad at all
Gaming Floor Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Port Perry, ON27 November 2013
I absolutely love and enjoy my job. The best part about my job is working with the public and the customer service. I really enjoy providing customer service and I try to provide only the best of ability every day.
Pros
customers, co workers
Cons
the shift I am on
Casino Enivornment
Food & Beverage Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Port Perry, ON29 April 2013
Always busy in the Casino
Worked in the Food and Beverage Department
Pros
Great People to work with
Cons
Great place to work, not to far away, get to meet lots of different people
Count Team Member/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Port perry, Ontario, Canada24 April 2013
We start our day by collecting bv boxes from slot machines. After break, we finish counting gaming money. Then we start emptying slot boxes and counting money. We work in a small locked from with 6 or 7 other people so we are like a family. The hardest part of the job is making sure you come with the correct amount of money that audit has. We have a lot fun and laughs. The machines can be a challenge as money gets caught or machine acts up.
fast paced enviornment , really enjoyed working there
Porter/Server/Coin Cage Cashier (Former Employee) –  Port Perry, ON11 April 2013
rally enjoyed working in this enviornment , would go back anyday ,
Pros
great people to work with and for
Cons
24 hour work place
if you need a place to work...
Kitchen/Cafe Steward (Current Employee) –  food and beverage14 March 2013
very fast paced job
could be better managed
staff are people and like people there is good and indifferent in all walks of life
Pros
people
Cons
management
unions promote laziness
first cook (Current Employee) –  port perry ontario3 March 2013
I work in the kitchen as a. ......... ......... The work is incredibly EASY. Most of the staff are extremely petty. Jealousy is running rampant 1 person got employee of the month and her co workers had her in tears because of it ie jealous rage. Also,when a position becomes available the employee with seniority automatically assumes the position is theirs although they have absolutely no experience or education relating to the position. Last but not least, it is insane that the laziest and most useless people have full time positions with great benefits,the best shifts, weekends off, mind you about 10 percent of the full time staff do deserve full time,the other 90 percent are too busy taking their breaks and saying" thats not my job" . The most enjoyable part of my job is the satisfaction I get from knowing that nobody there has a snowballs chance of doing what I do.And you know who you are.
Pros
fantastic company to worl for
Cons
petty union flag waving employees
Good pay - hard to advance
Main Bank Cashier/Coin Cage Supervisor Temp (Current Employee) –  Port Perry, ON5 February 2013
Pay wage is excellent. Been there for 7 years and have yet to achieve a permanent full time employment. Must be willing to work all shifts and even holidays including Christmas
Pros
wage
Cons
nights, weekends, holidays(christmas), no room for advancement
Loved working for this company
Third Cook (Former Employee) –  Port Perry, ON23 April 2012
i like working there, it was a fun place to work and all the employees and supervisors were nice, and outgoing. the work atmosphere was good, i was a third cook, so i made muffins, cookies, pies, and danishes. also some other pastries. I preped the pizzas. I was only on contract for 3 months, which i got a extra month there. when the contract was up, i didnt stay because there was no other positions available at the time, but i would love to work there again, i loved going to work every shift.