Great American Insurance Employee Reviews

Excellent, family oriented place to work!
Underwriter Duties (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FL11 September 2016
Nice place to work, very family oriented, relaxed atmosphere. Management recognized talent, great pay and benefits.
Pros
Great advancement potential, great benefits, great work environment
Positive culture
Claim Director (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH7 June 2016
Great American specializes in niche products and my years with the company has exposed me to a culture of creative marketing and a global reach. The organization strongly supports a good work life balance. While I have experienced professional growth, including 2 promotions, I am interested in returning to my home base location and that is simply not feasible with this employer. I work with a great team; including managers, peers; direct reports.
Pros
Positive culture
Cons
Average benefit pkg
Great company with great management
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH6 October 2016
A typical day at work was sitting at a computer reviewing paperwork sent in by clients to either want to take a partial withdrawal from their IRA or to fully surrender their policy with Great American. I could go a week at a time without saying a word to anyone. Just put on your headphones and review paperwork. This was not the environment for me since I love interacting with people on a daily basis. My co-workers were the best. Any time I had a question or a problem, we leaned on each other to get through it and worked well together. That was the most enjoyable part of the job for sure. I hated working in Downtown Cincinnati because of the significant drive every day, traffic and the parking;it was very expensive.
Pros
Co-workers/managers
Cons
Lack of person interaction/travel time each day/parking
Good Work/Life Balance
Associate Underwriter III (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH16 November 2016
Great American values and encourages employees to have a good work/life balance. They work with employees to ensure they have time to devote to their family needs and obligations, as well as the ability to enjoy that time.
fun upbeat
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH15 November 2016
The employees were great to work with the company its self is outstanding the management was awful needs work. They favor employees the managers are never there for your help and expect you to do everything
Great Place to work
Claim Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH19 September 2016
Great American is a phenomenal place to work. There are plenty of opportunities for advancement. The Lindner family always make you feel as if you're part of the family.
Fun and friendly workplace environment
Receptionist/Administrative (Former Employee) –  Promenade27 June 2016
This is a temporary position as I am covering as relief for a staff on long leave. The environment here is perfect with great views, nicely setup new office premises and nice friendly colleagues. Work station and work area, board room and all documentation is very organised and systematic. It is not difficult for me to take over the duties and not to disrupt the flow of work.

I've learn how to use a franking machine and their systematic paper work system. Communication skills with all level as well.
Had a great feeling working with GAIG
Ms BI ssis ssas ssrs developer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX22 June 2016
wonderful work environment.....Had a great feeling working with GAIG...good team work,challenging tasks,i loved working with GAIG
friendly management
Great American Insurance
Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH29 May 2012
Overall, the company is very good to work for. Compensation and benefits are very good.
Pros
state of the art workout facility
Cons
no work/ life balance, salary
Corporate peacoks
Corporate Underwriter Trainee (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH16 September 2015
The culture is great and wonderful IF you fit in. Employees are judged by their appearance, demeanor etc. you get the picture. Most people are hired into the company because they know someone their or they have a family member there.

Always smile, don't speak about controversial topics and collect your paycheck.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Pay
Great company to work for.
Investment Accountant (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH22 July 2014
Offers great benefits. Has a wide variety of resources available to employees.
Typical Large Box Insurance Company
Tech Guy (Current Employee) –  Southeast US6 December 2012
I like them fine - I've worked for most of the big guys over the past 30+ years. They are a specialty group, with many separate companies under their wing. Be carefully where you step, some of these companies they sell off quickly when the time is right. I'm with a division they acquired, that has been making them money, so things are good for now. They don't like promoting from within, they like to put you in a box and stifle any advancement if you are good at your job you were hired to do. So learn what you can, but always keep an eye peeled for opportunities that may arise elsewhere. Pay is average to slightly above. Some of the specialty groups they own have very different reporting structures. You may be reporting to someone you always thought should be reporting to you. Ha! You best have a sense of humor to get by on most days. My motto in the insurance world is keep smiling - it keeps management wondering what the heck you're up to.
Pros
a lot of good experienced folks.
Cons
a few fakers worming their way up the ladder.
Summer Intern with a lot of projects
Intern, Specialty Human Services Business Unit (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH13 August 2015
Great American was such a fun place to work as an intern. There were many luncheons I had the opportunity to attend, and many projects. I worked with another intern over the summer of 2013 and this was my first professional experience. I worked in a gorgeous office, and all my co-workers were very friendly and appreciative of my work! I got to dabble with marketing, audits, sales calls, and more.
Pros
Beautiful office, friendly co-workers, great pay, many different projects
Enjoyed the work and co-workers
Accountant II (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH14 July 2015
I enjoyed my co-workers. All were helpful and became life long friends with most.

Manager was a micro-manager and none of the co-workers could stand it. We knew what we were doing, so stop looking over our shoulder all the time. Very stressful.
Pros
Great Environment
Cons
Terrible Supervisor
Not a lot of room for advancement
Work (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH19 June 2013
The culture is fine, and the people are great, but promotions seem to go to those who have tenure.
productive and busy workplace
Office Clerk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH16 February 2013
Was very bus,y work was repetitive. low key environment,
the most enjoyable part of this job was knowing the customer was satisfied with the output of work that we completed for them on a daily basis.
Pros
the incentives
Cons
not feeling appreciated by management for your works efforts
Great place to work!!!
Insurance Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Jonesboro, AR9 December 2014
The people at Great American are a great group to work with!!! I always enjoyed my work with this company. They made it easy to learn and thrive in this job field. They were always willing to help when needed. I could always count on my supervisor to be there if I had an issue with anything.
Pros
Flexible schedule, every day is an adventure, never stuck in a rut.
Cons
No insurance bebefits for part time, not many full time positions available.
Great Place to work
Claims Underwriting Analyst Trainee (Former Employee) –  Peoria, IL19 November 2014
Methodist is a great place to work. While working for this company, I learned that team work is important in the workplace and have carried that trait thru my career.
Cons
Great overall place to work
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TX7 January 2015
I was a file clerk and got my start into the adult world workplace. It was a great opportunity and everyone there was very professional and sincere. They all helped me when learning my position. The company even paid for me to get my GED to be able to become fulltime!
Pros
Overall awesome
Very large insurance company. Great to learn a new industry.
Statistical Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH2 June 2014
Taking a break from accounting led me to Great American Insurance. It was great to learn about a new industry. Culture was very good.