Graybar Electric Company, Inc.

Graybar Electric Company, Inc. Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Large Electrical Distributor.
Operation and CSR Manager (Former Employee), CarolinaFebruary 6, 2015
Large Electrical Distributor with main office in St. Louis, Mo.
Learned the whole cycle of this type of business over 29 years.
Job was good
Trainer/Lead (Former Employee), Sugarland TXFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: hours
Cons: bad pay and mangement
The hours were different
The management was ok
promotions were to the good old boy system
Good trainers and co-workers
Pay was a little low
great place to work I been an new employee for 3 months and its been rewarding.
delivery driver (Current Employee), medley floridaJanuary 31, 2015
Pros: its a fast moving pace and time goes quickly.
Stay focus and listen to your fellow peers... And its been a great place to work since I been working here... You know when you love your job when you can't wait to go back to work... So good luck on your search.
0/10- would not work there again
Zone Service Center Warehouse Material Handler (Former Employee), Panama City, FLJanuary 13, 2015
very stagnant when it comes to advancement in one location, you will have to relocate to advance with company. not very flexible with hours/personal life.
always busy
Driver/Warehouse (Former Employee), Taunton, MAJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: benefits were great
Cons: long days, always getting put down, never a 'good job' when something was done right which was 90% of the time
ok place to work if you want to work like a mule, management was up an down everyday, they never cared about your family life....everything has to do with graybar its there way or the highway
faced paced company
TRUCK DRIVER/EQUIPMENT OPERATOR (Current Employee), Taunton, MADecember 10, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: traffic
hardest part is being stuck in traffic
locations of deliveries
coworkers good
good benefits
Great Company!
Project Manager, Zone Purchasing Manager (Former Employee), St. Louis, MONovember 4, 2014
Pros: employee owned, profit sharing, promotion from within. coworkers were engaged and great to work with.
Cons: leaving
I worked my way up in Graybar from a Stock Clerk, to Billing Specialist, to Customer Service Rep., to Operating Manager - then accepted a transfer to Corporate in Clayton, MO as Zone Purchasing Manager, then Project Manager for Central Purchasing Pilot.

I learned so much that has assisted me - from business etiquette and computer skills, to product education and management skills.

The people were the best!

The hardest part of the job was leaving to relocate.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the challenge and education.
Very busy
Accounts Payable/Project Administrator (Former Employee), Parsippany, NJOctober 24, 2014
Graybar was a nice place to work. I had a lot of responsibilities.

I got to work all different positions.
Graybar Project Specialist
Project Specialist (Current Employee), Albany, NYOctober 21, 2014
responsible for all invoicing on large projects, entering large orders and tracking shipments of materials.
Job is fun and challenging.
Learned a lot as an inside sales representative.
Inside Sales Representative/CSR (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLSeptember 6, 2014
Pros: great learning experience, enjoyed helping customers, high salary, great benefits.
Cons: poor management, very hard to move up in company.
I had worked in the electrical field as an Administrative Asst. prior to this job, and with the position of inside sales/CSR gave me much experience in the electrical field. I learned a lot by working with customers taking orders, researching and assisting with electrical information also took many classes online with Square D electrical product, which I was very successful in scoring high on those tests. Unfortunately, I was laid off along with over 30 people from every area in the company in 2008.
Exlellent company, excellent distributor
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Akron, OHSeptember 3, 2014
Pros: excellentdevelopment, people, and benefits
During my first year with Graybar, I started working primarily at the sales counter and backing up the warehouse. I eventually moved up to work as an inside sales/customer service rep in the office. There I learned more closely the processes of sales, distribution, and knowledge of electrical products. I was sent to several training seminars and conferences.

In all my time there, I had very high respect for everyone I worked with; management and coworkers alike. Especially my direct supervisor, who was a mentor to me. This was a very professional operation that I thrived in.

Unfortunately, with the economic downturn in '08, I was laid off in a third round of layoffs.
Nation wide warehouse
Warehouse Worker / Delivery (Former Employee), Fort Wayne, INAugust 23, 2014
Pros: close to home
Cons: as usual it takes to long to get any vacation time -but i have no complaints about graybar
A lot of good people there. Seemed to be a lot of manpower in Sales & Purchasing.
Great company!
Senior Sales Representative (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCAugust 21, 2014
Large employee owned company with good management and good employees.
Steady employment
Short haul Driver II (Former Employee), Plainfield, InAugust 20, 2014
Pros: it is a job.
Cons: not being truthfull on hours so management make their corperate expectations.
Graybar pays decent but they want you to work more than 40 hour weeks without paying overtime. They provide what they call "comp" time which is when you have accomulated a set amount of hours over your 40 hours they choose which day or half day they want you to take off those hours or days with straight pay even if it happens to be several weeks out. All in all it is a ok place to work if you are ok with "your lucky to have a job with us" attitude and are willing to play the game with the hours.
very technical, alot of training
Senior Electrical Sales Representative (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZAugust 12, 2014
fortune 500 company, 5 billion in sales. company car, expense account, high pay based on production.
Worst Management
Material Handler (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJuly 28, 2014
Honestly it was like high school working here. I worked at the warehouse in Richmond VA and it was terrible. The warehouse manager was very rude to all of the employees. He went as far as asking one of the guys I worked with if he was blind or just dumb. We had human resources in the warehouse every other month because of something the manager said or did. Employees would come to work drunk and would sleep on a desk and others would just not do their job at all. I was fired for using sick days and vacation time when my family was going through a rough time. This is a company that I will never work for again and I really wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. I have no bad feelings towards this place I just want to give everyone a heads up.
every day is always different
STORE ROOM/ WAREHOUSE (Former Employee), Topeka, KSJuly 25, 2014
every day is a different day, you might be helping customers or doing inventory for the area an or coputer data intry
Great fun place to work
Inside Sales Rep (Former Employee), Wallingford, CTJuly 17, 2014
Pros: great benefits and options for advancement
Cons: time there was too short
Only worked here for one month moved to another state for a job transfer. Learned much about the electrical contracting business Learned SAP and was able to support the small business side of their customer base.
Fun atmospher depending on your personality
Manual Laborer (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJuly 9, 2014
Pros: good hours 930-630. awesome people to work with. management is really fun and easy going
Cons: it can get hot in the warehouse, some employees dont pull their share, if busy have to work long days
I worked in the warehouse. Time went fast and the people were fun to work with. Management was never on your back unless you didn't do your work. The daily tasks would get a little boring at times but overall was not bad. I would recommend working at Graybar.
Company has long-term, promote from within culture.
Consultant (Former Employee), St. Louis, Mo.June 29, 2014
Pros: employee owned fortune 500 company.
Cons: benefits accrue over the long term.
Begin your career in your twenties and expect to have opportunity to have different jobs/careers within the same company. Graybar is an employee owned company with both short and long term benefits.

About Graybar Electric Company, Inc.

As a leading distributor of electrical, communications and data networking products, Graybar helps contractors and building owners – Read more

Graybar Electric Company, Inc. Photos