Grant Thornton

Grant Thornton Employee Reviews

Accountant (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NBFebruary 8, 2016
This company was a great place to work. Compensation is reasonable and there is plenty of room for advancement. A great culture/sense of inclusion with fellow co-workers.
Good work life balance
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 26, 2016
Ability to work remotely in some groups but not a lot of room for advancement. Environment is laid-back but there are not that many benefits
Segregated company with inner 'class system'
manager (Former Employee) –  AlbertaJuly 30, 2015
while there were many efforts put forth by each office to make for a better environment there was an obvious class system ranking people by job, location and business unit.

Many of the current and positive reviews are from the Eastern Provinces where the company was started, as you move West in Canada you find that the value is different and if you work for some business units you are ranked lower in priority - you don't want to get on with their bankruptcy team as they are the bottom of the pole and get MUCH less benefits. Yes, employees get different benefits - how class system based is that!

If you expect this to be a great place to work based on the awards... Some awards are BOUGHT or 'sponsored' so your best bet is to ask former employees for an inside scoop.
Pros
Depends on where / business unit you are placed
Cons
a bit archaic HR systems and teams, class system, bland environments and messy
Typical firm
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONApril 17, 2016
This firm is the same as any other of the big 6 in terms of work-life balance; it is poor during the winter. My typical work week was 70 hours from January onward. Of course you can't book all of those hours because you will get grief for exceeding the time budgets that are perpetually sandbagged from previous staff.

During the summer, there is almost nothing to do, so hours are much less. Morale is good during summer months as everyone regains work/life balance.

Expense reports take a lengthy amount of time to process. Sometimes you won't be reimbursed for 3 months.

Layoffs have been frequent from 2014 - 2015.
Pros
Occasional free food, work-life balance during summer
Cons
time budget pressure tactics
Interesting work, supportive coworkers, well compensated
Transfer pricing intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 21, 2016
Overall a great work experience, the supervisors/bosses were supportive in teaching skills and training on the job. The culture is professional but relaxed, an environment where you feel comfortable approaching even the partners despite being a simple intern.

The work is interesting and fulfilling and there are multiple opportunities to learn a large range of skills, as well as room for career advancement. And it pays well.

Great place to work!
A great place to work. Family environment.
Senior Manager - Assurance Services (Former Employee) –  PKMay 7, 2016
Grant Thornton provides a challenging job environment. I started my career from Grant Thornton and it has made me a professional chartered accountant. The management is extremely friendly and approachable. My co-workers were like a family to me. It was a pressure job with tight deadlines. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I love this company and the work that I do. I felt at home while in the office.
Pros
Family environment
Cons
Extended hours working
Productive but fun environment
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, NBMay 22, 2016
Each day was new, It was always a different client and jobs which I enjoyed. I learned to work in groups by performing audits and I learned time-management by sometimes having multiple jobs on the go at once. I learned to have work-life balance as I'm working towards my CPA.
Not classy despite of how it wants to brand
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 7, 2016
Don't act classy, good at selective groups or individuals thus you would see some people gave high rating.
Job security is low but life balance is high that it may due to low management skills
Pros
Life balance
Cons
So many
Best workplace
CRM Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 22, 2016
Dealing in a matrix environment is always challenging however it does have it's rewards. Each day presents new opportunities that you can grow from.
Grant Thornton is a fun place to work
Reception (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NBMarch 5, 2016
I enjoy working at Grant Thornton Limited especially the people I work with. I enjoy seeing every one each day. A typical day is greeting people and talking to people on the phone helping them with information required. Co-workers are fun to work with.
Pros
Grant Thornton provides staff with lots of extra's ie dinners, lunches, fun outings
Productive and good place to be employed
Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Montague, PEJune 28, 2015
Depending on the time of year your day could be 7 hours during the summer to 12 hours during tax season, most employees were easy to get along with. The job was enjoyable and especially enjoyed the short summer days.
Pros
Flex hours, company get togethers
Cons
long hours during tax season
Very good people. Interesting work.
Manager, Business Risk Services (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 5, 2014
Long hours, interesting engagements, lots of opportunities for learning. Management has an open door policy, democratic.
Pros
very good people and culture
Cons
long hours, stressful job.
The people were great to work for.
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NBJuly 9, 2015
The company was very impressed with my work and I found the people great, understanding and great to work for. I would work there again.
Overall balance
Senior Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 16, 2014
GT has provided me with an opportunity to gain valuable experience while working on jobs with different level of complexity. This has allowed me to gain more exposure different sections of an audit file and developed my skills to interact with higher levels of management in an organization.
Good working environment
Audit Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thornton, ONJanuary 4, 2013
The most enjoyable part of the job is the opportunity to work with extremely talented and enthusiastic co-workers. I get the pleasure of working with the best and brightest people in many different ways and with many good ideas. And the job is even more special when I get to work with one of the shining person.
Pros
free courses
Preparation and review of US Tax Returns
U.S. Tax Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 5, 2012
Preparation and review of US tax returns.
States Nexus study for filing and doing business requirements.
Handled IRS and States notices.