Grant Thornton

Grant Thornton Employee Reviews

It was a good place to work.
Accounting Clerk/Assistant Network Administrator (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC15 March 2017
Although I worked there almost 20 years ago and no doubt a lot of has changed by now, management etc. Still, it was a great place to work, albeit a typical accounting firm as I understand it.
A very fast pace environment with great staff.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB23 February 2017
A typical day at work consist of making sure the Reception area is bright and clean. Prioritizing my daily tasks. I learned a lot of skills such as new computer programs and learning how to cope under pressure. I engaged a lot with the clients and the staff. The hardest part of my job was memorizing the clients names at first. THe most enjoyable part of my job was being ale to know my job well and provide excellent client services and also to the staff.
Very nice place to work, great culture!
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 November 2016
Great people, management and culture!

Friendly atmosphere, no pressure, nice management.

Great job and life balance;
Great company to work for
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB18 August 2016
Grant Thornton is a great company to work for. They really appreciate their employees and display that frequently. They are flexible with various schedules and are willing to work with you as long as the job gets done.
Best workplace
CRM Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 June 2016
Dealing in a matrix environment is always challenging however it does have it's rewards. Each day presents new opportunities that you can grow from.
Very good company with very poor management
Tax Analyst/Staff Auditor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 June 2016
If you wanna start your accounting career, start with the assurance or the advisory group because starting with the tax department is the start of the career suicide. The only partner remains in the tax department is so busy with his schedule that does not have time to allocate or ask the manager or senior manager to allocate work for staff accountants. The managers and senior managers are very rude and not approachable at all. It was a usual occurrence in the tax department where the partner did not know what the managers and other accountants are doing and vice versa. The people who started back in 2013 in the tax department, I know majority of them left GT due poor management and coaching, if you have any other opportunity to joint, please forgo to joint the tax department at GT
Productive but fun environment
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, NB22 May 2016
Each day was new, It was always a different client and jobs which I enjoyed. I learned to work in groups by performing audits and I learned time-management by sometimes having multiple jobs on the go at once. I learned to have work-life balance as I'm working towards my CPA.
A great place to work. Family environment.
Senior Manager - Assurance Services (Former Employee) –  PK7 May 2016
Grant Thornton provides a challenging job environment. I started my career from Grant Thornton and it has made me a professional chartered accountant. The management is extremely friendly and approachable. My co-workers were like a family to me. It was a pressure job with tight deadlines. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I love this company and the work that I do. I felt at home while in the office.
Pros
Family environment
Cons
Extended hours working
Typical firm
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON17 April 2016
This firm is the same as any other of the big 6 in terms of work-life balance; it is poor during the winter. My typical work week was 70 hours from January onward. Of course you can't book all of those hours because you will get grief for exceeding the time budgets that are perpetually sandbagged from previous staff.

During the summer, there is almost nothing to do, so hours are much less. Morale is good during summer months as everyone regains work/life balance.

Expense reports take a lengthy amount of time to process. Sometimes you won't be reimbursed for 3 months.

Layoffs have been frequent from 2014 - 2015.
Pros
Occasional free food, work-life balance during summer
Cons
time budget pressure tactics
Grant Thornton is a fun place to work
Reception (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB5 March 2016
I enjoy working at Grant Thornton Limited especially the people I work with. I enjoy seeing every one each day. A typical day is greeting people and talking to people on the phone helping them with information required. Co-workers are fun to work with.
Pros
Grant Thornton provides staff with lots of extra's ie dinners, lunches, fun outings
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB8 February 2016
This company was a great place to work. Compensation is reasonable and there is plenty of room for advancement. A great culture/sense of inclusion with fellow co-workers.
Good work life balance
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 January 2016
Ability to work remotely in some groups but not a lot of room for advancement. Environment is laid-back but there are not that many benefits
Interesting work, supportive coworkers, well compensated
Transfer pricing intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 January 2016
Overall a great work experience, the supervisors/bosses were supportive in teaching skills and training on the job. The culture is professional but relaxed, an environment where you feel comfortable approaching even the partners despite being a simple intern.

The work is interesting and fulfilling and there are multiple opportunities to learn a large range of skills, as well as room for career advancement. And it pays well.

Great place to work!
Not classy despite of how it wants to brand
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 January 2016
Don't act classy, good at selective groups or individuals thus you would see some people gave high rating.
Job security is low but life balance is high that it may due to low management skills
Pros
Life balance
Cons
So many
Good work life balance with good teamwork
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 January 2016
The best place to start your career if you are Finance student. Every day is a new day at Grant Thornton and one learns a lot of things which can't be learnt online or through class teaching.
The co-workers are really nice and supportive .
student
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Summerside, PE21 November 2015
They excel at their chosen work demographic small to mid sized personal business. Very good at training new accountants.
nothings to declare
Career, Placement Coach and Business Liaison (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 November 2015
used to be a flexible environment has been a while since I worked for the organization. It was flexible environment and very sportive.
Pros
work life balance, people
Cons
culture is changing
Fun workplace
IT Support Analyst Co-op (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 November 2015
Fun work environment with steady administration. A great deal of development opportunities accessible in the more drawn out run. Less political issues looked at a great deal of other work environment's in the business sector.
Pros
Fun environment
A lot of "Great Workplace" rhetoric but very little substance
Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlantic Canada11 August 2015
Long hours, low pay, very political ... some people get paid over time, some people get time off in lieu while others get nothing. They preach work-life balance but at the end of the day it is about making money off the backs of unpaid or underpaid employees
Pros
Excellent National resources
Cons
Local office politics and poor employee - employer relations
Segregated company with inner 'class system'
manager (Former Employee) –  Alberta30 July 2015
while there were many efforts put forth by each office to make for a better environment there was an obvious class system ranking people by job, location and business unit.

Many of the current and positive reviews are from the Eastern Provinces where the company was started, as you move West in Canada you find that the value is different and if you work for some business units you are ranked lower in priority - you don't want to get on with their bankruptcy team as they are the bottom of the pole and get MUCH less benefits. Yes, employees get different benefits - how class system based is that!

If you expect this to be a great place to work based on the awards... Some awards are BOUGHT or 'sponsored' so your best bet is to ask former employees for an inside scoop.
Pros
Depends on where / business unit you are placed
Cons
a bit archaic HR systems and teams, class system, bland environments and messy

81%