Granite Services International

Granite Services International Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fast pace
Installation and Commissioning/Field Service Rep (Former Employee), Tampa, FLSeptember 16, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: stability of a contractor
Gained vast knowledge of power plant operation and construction in a fast pace dead line driven environment. Manage day to day operations including EHS compliance report writing drawing review. Collaboration between engineers, client, contractors and suppliers. This job required 98% travel for long periods of time away from home. Satisfaction was to – more... see the completion of the power plant and the operation success. – less
challenging
Project Specialist (Former Employee), Sweetwater, TXSeptember 9, 2014
They have good benefits and pay well. Contracting company.
Worked as a contract worker in the Power &Water technologies
Field Service Representative (Former Employee), Linden, NJJuly 17, 2014
Pros: provided training
Cons: if there was a job excellent
Provided temporary employment health benefits, training on GE Mpak 40/80 adequate daily expenses
Great for establishing a name in the industry
Commissioning (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJune 9, 2014
Work is here and there. Management are basically figure heads as GE tells them everything they need to do. They do hire "off the street" so you get people like BW. Advancement is reserved for the good ol' boys. Pay is near the top of the industry. You will work 60 hours and put in 15 hours a week in unpaid drive time.
Turbine work is an energy consume but if you know your way i.e you are professional on the field is as easy as ABC.
Turbine Mechanic (Current Employee), NLNG, Qatar Gas and Petroleum and in Ghana VRAJune 7, 2014
Pros: while on site company take care of the accommodation, laundry and feeding
Cons: on site, there's short and long break, there's free health service both on field and at home
Every day at work, we assume that the task of the day was never done before and we start it with tools box talk in other to discuss the day activities and also going through the JHA (Job hazard analysis) or JSA (Job safety analysis) and complete it with safety talk.
I learn a lot during these processes because it gave me foresight of what am about to – more... encounter in the field for each particular day.
The management of the company do their utmost for each and every member of the staff in other for us to be equip in our dealings. they organize training both the Turbine and EHS training in Nigeria and abroad.
I was fortunate to have people that are committed and dedicated to the job they are doing, my co-workers are well motivated and each of us respect everybody's feeling.
The hardest part of the job is when am working in the combustion chamber, because that is the HEART of the Turbine, is a very sensitive part that we can not toil with because any problem their might leads to temperature spread or cold spot and these can trip the Turbine.
The most enjoyable part to me is when am using precision tools like Micrometer, Caliper, Sliding parallel, Snap gauge, protractors and feeler gauge to take measurement. – less
Good compensation and benefits.
Level II Reactor Services Technician (Current Employee), Tampa, FLMay 15, 2014
This is a travel only job. After five years with this company, I'm ready to get off the road.
no security
CRD exchange Technician (Former Employee), Wilmington, NCMay 12, 2014
Pros: decent pay, they support you on the road and will repay nearly any expense
Cons: no telling what they think of you till you get promoted or fired
got fired based on bad reviews given by managers i had never worked with.
i got a low review during a training week despite being the only person to ace the written and passing the practical with a hung over partner. their reason; i didnt look like i was paying attention...

that about sums up my experience with them, no sense but if they like you then – more... you will go places. – less
Good benefits
Financial Contract Specialist (Current Employee), Schenectady New YorkMay 12, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: no advancement oppurtunites
Primarly supporting General Electric. Typical office job consist of sitting in an office 9 hours a day.
This position required a special talent of coordinating with organized labor.
Safety Manager (Former Employee), VariousFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: development of training programs.
My position was one that involved the management of safety oversight personnel. Most of the tasks included heavy lifts and precision measuring of equipment.
Salaried Position
Safety Manager (Former Employee), USAFebruary 8, 2014
Pros: time off
Cons: craft supervision not buying into a safety culture
Granite Services is a subsidary of General Electric Corporation. Granite is the non-union side of GE. The hardest part of this job was getting the craft mangement to understand that safety should be the most important tool the craft uses.
A mistake
Control Systems Engineer (Former Employee), Baytown, TexasFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: the money was decent
Cons: poor resource management; worked with people that had low skill levels
This was a contracting position with ExxonMobil. At ExxonMobil, at least in the division I was assigned to (high Throughput is what they called themselves) if you are a contractor, you are treated as less than a person. This culture was terrible. Additionally, Granite Management was non-existent. There was a plethora of issues within the ExxonMobil – more... folks that if human resources found out about, that entire division would be scrubbed clean. Additionally, that particular division, from the ExxonMobil side, had terrible management practices. I don't think anybody their had greater than vocational level of school. This is good if you want work to be performed; but the person directing the work needs to have skills at managing! – less
Excellent for learning opperation of wind turbine
Wind Electrical Field Technician (Current Employee), Tampa, FLJanuary 24, 2014
Pros: travel
Cons: travel
Responsible for the repair, maintenance, retro fit and troubleshooting of 1.5 GE. WTG’s (Wind Turbine Generators). Duties includes troubleshooting various systems in the WTG such as: The pitch systems (SSB and Salem pitch). Electrical Systems ( 575v, 400v, 240v, 24v). Battery charging systems and safety chain.
Also mechanical system, includes brakes – more... and yaw drives, removal, replacement, and reparation of all electrical and mechanical systems. Able to commission and shutdown towers. – less
Productive and fun place to work
Logistics Analyst (Former Employee), Greenville, SCOctober 23, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: no cons
Granite is a great place to work. Management and employees work as a team to ensure all shipments are met in a timely manner. They offer great benefits and my work experience their was all positive.
Experienced and competent company.
Rigger (Former Employee), Perth, WAOctober 1, 2013
Pros: good accommodation- motels/camps
A good company to work for , good supervision and work mates. I learned about turbines and their infrastructure during dis-assembley and re-assembley.
great place to work
Client Support Manager (Former Employee), Schenectady, NYSeptember 24, 2013
Pros: great pay and benefits
Cons: cannot think of any
I was with granite for 10 years and I was very happy there. I would still be there had there not been layoffs. Benefits were fantastic and the work environment was great, very clean well kept offices.
it a job
Wind Turbine/ gas and steam technician (Former Employee), Tampa, FLSeptember 5, 2013
what can i say it a job. you do what you got to do to pay the bills at the end of the week.
A good place to start and terrible place to stay if your in wind power.
Wind Technician (Current Employee), Tampa, FLJuly 17, 2013
Pros: good training
Cons: everything else
The start of trouble began with their refusal to give raises even though I have asked for a raise and have been working for them for 4 years I have yet to get one to add injury to insult management has now decided that health insurance is to expensive for a company that has recorded millions in profit and have done away with it as well for the hourly – more... wind employees. The service managers never respond to emails or phone calls except when they need something from you to illustrate my point I called one in May about an issue, I think he called me back in August and said he had been busy but wanted to know if I could do something for him and that is not an exaggeration. They do offer good training but they are terribly disfunctional company to work for. Granite is a great place to start a career in wind but it is horrible place to stay. My advice to anyone looking to work in Granite wind is to take the job get the training and get out as fast as you can. – less
Good to work for no problems at all
Field Service Controls Engineer (Current Employee), West Africa LuandaJune 25, 2013
Working for Granite is 28/28 in West Afica working for GE Oil & Gas been learning new things which is good. They have a good bunch of men working for them.
A good place to work
Field Service Representative (Current Employee), United StatesMarch 19, 2013
While I have only worked here less than two years, I have found it to be a fun job that I really enjoy. The travel is nice, and they really try to take care of you. The job itself is rewarding since I enjoy working with my hands striving towards a finished product.
typical manpower company
Nuclear Reactor Service Technician Level 2 (Current Employee), wilmington NCFebruary 22, 2013
Work is good, travel is to long. Granite is a good company to work with. They supply manpower for General Electric Nuclear