Grande Cache Coal Corporation Employee Reviews in Canada

Mine Close
Miner (Current Employee) –  Grande Cache, ABNovember 17, 2015
The mine close on 24 Dec 2015. We gonna be lay-off. Long hours for nothing, they take all our allowance away. I just do my job and think positive. Im a hard worker.
Pros
N/A
Cons
12 hour Shift
sucks
millwright apprentice (Current Employee) –  undergroundNovember 3, 2015
terrible management. gone from home 12.5 hrs a day only paid for 12. very unorganized, long hours, dirty, good people but poor management, unstable work
Pros
good pay
Cons
unstable work.
Provided wide range of experience and opportunity to advance.
Lead Maintenance Welder/Fitter (Former Employee) –  Grande Cache, ABJuly 6, 2015
Good company atmosphere and sufficient pay and benefit package but unstable market resulted in lack of job security and overall company stability.
Awful Management Continues...
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  GCFebruary 3, 2015
Ran all the gear into the ground. Closed the only mine producing coal. Good luck with U/G! The management gets what they deserve. Feel terrible for the workers that will be on the curb when this next 'plan' fails.
great people to work with
Labour Relations Advisor (Former Employee) –  Grande Cache, ABJune 3, 2014
Grande Cache Coal has been very good to me for the last 6 years. I started at GCC in June of 2008 as a labourer miner operator. during this time I moved up to senior miner operator and then to supervisor and then to Labour Relations Advisor. I've learned a lot about team work, a hard days work, and working with minimal or no supervision.
safety was always the number one goal. I enjoyed working at GCC even when things got rough. what I enjoyed the most was at the end of the day I felt satisfied about the work I had done as we had worked our best to finish the task at hand.
Pros
bbqs during sumer
Cons
nothing i can think of
I wouldn't if I were you
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Grande Cache, ABMarch 17, 2014
Used to be a good place to start a career in mining and then move on to a better company. But they layed off all the training staff and a bunch of safety guys too. The turn over rate was 1500 employees in the 4 years I worked there. I think that pretty much says if all.
Pros
trades retention bonus is ok.
Cons
slowly taking away loa, on and off layoffs for this past year, very disorganized, poorly managed, no real mine plan
Great Place to Work
Labour Relations Advisor (Current Employee) –  Grande Cache, ABFebruary 13, 2014
Grande Cache Coal has allowed me to be stable here in Grande Cache. I worked for this company for almost 6 years. I started off as a new miner, then worked my way up to supervisor in 2 years. I was then offered a position in the HR department due to my knowledge in the UG department.
Its an Underground Coal Mine
Underground Surveyor assistant (Former Employee) –  grande cacheSeptember 23, 2013
10.5 hour shifts. 4 on/ 4 off schedule. Dusty, dirty, wet and steep. Pays well
Pros
money
Cons
coal
Old mine and very dusty.
PLANT ELECTRICIAN (Current Employee) –  Grande CacheJuly 26, 2013
Nice place to start working in Canada. Very old plant, needed a lot of TLC. Nice bunch of guys working there.
Pros
very good salary
Cons
very dusty.
alright work place
was a crane op (Former Employee) –  grande cache, coalMay 19, 2013
Crane in bad need to be updated very unsafe I would list what's wrong with the crane but don't have all night
Pros
lots of hours
Cons
unsafe crane, expensive town to live in
Dirty yet fun staff!
Production and Maintenance Electrician (Current Employee) –  Grande Cache, Alberta, CanadaApril 4, 2013
Start early finish late... never home till 8PM
Deverse work load from day to day.
Management can be hard to work with.
Co workers are fun to work with despite the work conditions
Hardest part of the work is the unforgivable coal dust.
The most enjoyable part of the work is the family atmosphere amongst the workers.
Pros
fun group of people to work with!
Cons
management is not organized and holding back the company
Terrible management, dirty enviornment
Welder (Former Employee) –  Grande cacheJanuary 26, 2013
Worked there for 5 years as a welder. The people on the floor with you are great, but the middle managers are some of the worst I've experienced in 30 years on the job
Pros
money is fair, though cost of living is high
Cons
very dirty, losts of coal dust, terrible management
good job pay could be better
Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  grande cache coalJanuary 3, 2013
great benefits but the pay could be better. very dirty job and I didnt find I was always givin the chance for advancement to where I would have liked to have been.It was a really good place to start and get experince along the way.
benefits
Cons
dirty job and you have to live in the middle of no where !
employees are great to work with and benifits are good as well as pay, some changes could be do to improve our job and assist us in doing our job
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Grande Cache, ABDecember 3, 2012
go hard for full 12 hrs, u see things that u would not normally see in other work places,management well ...... co workers are great, hardest part of job is getting parts and trying to get job done with lack of service trucks and equipment. The most enjoyable part of my job is i get to play with some of the largest machines in the world in a really big sand box
Pros
good benifits
Cons
lack of training and poor equipment to work with, lack of service trucks

2.4