GRAND RIVER HOSPITAL

GRAND RIVER HOSPITAL Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great work environment, great people that I worked with
Clinical Secretary (Current Employee), kitchener ONJuly 23, 2014
Pros: flexible hours, great people to work with
Cons: almost impossible to gain permanent employment, or advancement.
Days at work were usually very busy and on the go, there was always something that needed to be done. I enjoyed working at Grand River Hospital because I was able to utilize a lot of the skills I learned while I was in school.
Working with Chief of Psychiatry team is different every day.
Executive Secretary - Contract 1 year (Current Employee), Kitchener, onJuly 23, 2014
Pros: working in a great environment with friendly people
A typical work day is taking minutes, transcribing dictation, scheduling meetings. My managers are all friendly and helpful and have a good work ethic. My co-workers are also friendly and will always assist me. The hardest part is taking the minutes and trying to learn all the medical terms. The most enjoyable part is knowing I'm assisting people.
Great place to work for with advancement
Records Management/ Ward Clerk (Former Employee), Kitchener, OntarioMarch 19, 2014
I really enjoyed working at Grand River Hospital. I had left there for another position and regret it. If I had the chance to be employed there again, I would definitely take the position.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), WaterlooMarch 12, 2014
Pros: good salary and benefits
Cons: always calling to ask you to work every day
Good place to work/ physicians are good. As usual there are always workload issues in a large hospital setting but it has a good positive culture
Poor Communication
Data Entry (Former Employee), Administration (Kaufman Building)January 30, 2014
Pros: good salary
Cons: poor communication and leadership
Not a bad place to work but the communication with management was poor and very poor communication as to job expectations. I had a feeling of new rules being made up daily and old rules no longer applying. I was fired because I got the flu and was off sick. I was told it was because I did not communicate clearly enough about my illness. Ironically I – more... was fired because of poor communication! Even though I called in every morning I was off and was under a physician's advice to stay off with a medical note. Nothing was said to me on my return (missed 3 days in total) and was called in to the office and fired. Very bad taste. – less
High School Atmosphere
Clerk (Former Employee), Patient Accounts and FinanceNovember 3, 2013
Cons: everything
Stress level was very high. I worked at Grand River Hospital for over nine years in Patient Accounts and the day I left was the happiest day ever!!!!

Management was very unprofessional, staff were worse then high school children. Work load was ridiculous. No coverage for holidays and sick days (left for a mountain of work to catch up on) made holidays – more... not even worth taking.

Pay level was one of the lowest in the entire hospital. My suggestion is really consider if you are the kind of person that can go to work not looking to make friends and can leave work at work. – less
A great place to work
Human Resources - Part-time Scheduler-Staffing (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONOctober 1, 2013
Pros: management recognition is evident after deadlines have been met
It is a privilege to be a part of GRH.
My job as a scheduler is demanding and plays a very important role in maintaining patient care. Meeting deadlines, communication, and accuracy are important aspects of my job.
At times, you cannot always grant the requests of staff. Ex: TIME OFF; therefore, unpleasant situations may often arise.
I have learned – more... not take my job personal. My greatest goal is to work the best of my ability and take all measures possible to assist in maintaining the needs of the organization. – less
Internship experience
Internship in Health Information Management (Former Employee), KitchenerAugust 18, 2013
Doing my Internship at Grad River in the Health Information Management Department and have been given the opportunity to learn about how to deal with patient information, PHIPA, Release of Information. It has given me a hands on view of one department in the Medical Office field.
This was a school placement
Project Management Placement (Former Employee), Kitcheher, ONJuly 28, 2013
This was a placement position for University (Project Management). I was required to seek out my own placement in the community and secure it.
quality care
Student Nurse (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONJanuary 31, 2013
I have learnt many things and improved my knowledge in rendering nursing care
Challenging and rewarding!
HUMAN RESOURCES ASSISTANT 2 (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONOctober 18, 2012
The typical day in HR at the hospital was always busy. Having the ability to multi-task and remain focused could sometimes be a challenge, especially with the constant interruptions that took place. I had to always juggle more than one task while being the front-line representative to walk-ins as well as hospital staff. The experience I gained during – more... my time there is invaluable; I wish I had been able to stay so I could keep learning-working in HR in a hospital is fascinating! – less
Like drama this is the place for you.
Engineering (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONOctober 15, 2012
Pros: nice people and staff
Cons: must pay for parking
7.5 hours , good place for retirees , management is the down fall of the engineering dept. Good team work with co workers and support from staff . If your a plumber or electrician your value is highly rated.
To much red tape and politically motivated direction that will confuse and baffle the best of people. Big separation between management , union – more... and staff. Double standards and inconsistency by management. Slowly starting to contact out work. – less
great place
ER Registrar / Insurance Follow (Former Employee), rifle coJune 16, 2014
schedule surgeries, registar patients, insurance follow up. the people I worked with were great and I would work with them again
GRHD
Chef (Former Employee), Rifle, COMarch 6, 2014
Great place to work if not for management loved working with community and all the people in Rifle Colorado
Cliques Rule
Administrative (Former Employee), RifleNovember 12, 2012
Pros: it was a job
Cons: favortisim ruled the place
Not a place where you could just do your job and be done with it. Constantly had to watch your back for the game players and the petty day players trying to take you down. And the lies. Oh my God the lies. So many gifted and talented people including me were run off by the high school mentality that prevails there.
HUUUUUGE cliques, absolutely HUUUUUUUGE!
administrative assistant (Former Employee), front deskOctober 11, 2012
Pros: work/life balance. great places to fish and hike
Cons: the staff, the cliques, gossip, and backstabbing.
there's a difference between being a "fit and finish" for a company, but this place takes it a bit further.

You have to not only have the same mentality, but the same IQ. Which isn't very high. It's a small town. a VERY small town, with a small town mentality.There's constant "ratting" on new employees, and if you're new? you must do as most of the – more... employees have done in order to maintain job security:

Put on a facade of "being one of the clique", while showing your true self to the ones you can hopefully trust.

I watched a young, dynamic, female who was from "out of town" who had been "let go"? Everyone in the whole hospital knew she was getting fired - before she did! No show of integrity, confidentiality on the part of management and administration whatsoever.

As others have posted, this place is very "small town". There were good people who work there, but they aren't many.

Work balance is great, but the sacrifice of one's own dignity is so not worth it. – less
NA
Administrative Assist (Former Employee), Rifle, COJune 21, 2012
Overall was ok, however there is way to many clicks that are created throughout the business for a professional matter.
Very stressfull job
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONMarch 10, 2012
Pros: free lunch
Cons: not everyone got treated equal.
Worked 6 days a week, but the company wanted more.
Enjoy the public and meeting new people every day.