GRAND RIVER HOSPITAL Employee Reviews

Excellent team and work envoirnment
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON6 July 2017
Great team to work with and work-life balance is one of the key characteristics which make this place an excellent choice to work with. Lots of learning and support by the manager.
Grand River is a great place to work
Registered Nurse- Surgical Unit (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON14 June 2017
Grand River is one of the top Hospitals in southern Ontario and strives daily to provide care that is exceptional to every patient that enters the facility.
good
Inpatient Surgery (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON14 June 2017
Worked in an acute care setting, providing nursing care for preoperative
and post-operative patients
Experience in orthopaedic, general, gynaecological, plastic and
HEENT surgery
Positive and supportive working environment
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON10 June 2017
Grand River Hospital is a 567 bed hospital serving the Waterloo Region and surrounding communities primarily through its KW and Freeport sites. The hospital has 15 specialized programs and services surgery, children’s program, childbirth, medical imaging, mental health and addictions, medicine, stroke, complex continuing care, rehabilitation, cancer, critical care, renal, emergency, pharmacy and lab.
productive work palce
Medical Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON6 April 2017
Go in turn on all the lights and unlock all the cabinets for filies. answer phones call in staff of the hospital for doctors appointments and staff that need to see a nurse or staff that is sick and need the okay from the nurse to leave their shift early. I learned about WSIB claims and how to go about it for staff needed long term disiablity from the work place enivornment. There were a few hardest things about my job one of them was listening to code blue or code pink. Another hard thing about my job was going into the office knowing that I was not getting paid and being promised a job after my placement which fell through. The most enjoyable part of my job there was all the wonderful staff that I was able to get to know and work with.
Pros
great hours
Cons
it was a placement for school that had promised me a job and it feel through
Grh
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON7 March 2017
Excellent working environment and very competent staff. Work life balance and lots of learning as one have to prepare adhoc reports on regular basis.
Exceptional pay compared to other local Hospitals
Permanent Part-time (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON24 February 2017
Work ethic is great. Management constantly hold meetings for feed back. A hospital is continuously works to improve staff moral and patient care. I miss working for Grand River Hospital.
SecureJob
Clinical secretary (Current Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON14 December 2016
Mostly a decent place to work. Management is usually fair and tried to help wherever they can. Overall a good place to work
Pros
Wage
Cons
hours
Unprofessional
Clinical programs (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON22 October 2016
Unprofessional management and administration. This organization practices 15 years in the past, the management has no ideas on how to work independently or in the best interest of the front line staff. Culture of disrespect and negligence. It's a very self serving, mean environment. Very underhanded.
Salaries and vacation time are not competitive
Pros
Nice building
Cons
Poor work life balance, salary and management
consideration
Administration (Current Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON5 October 2016
There is a good team spirit at the hospital, but departments and positions are very compartmentalized. Culture is archaic that resists change and modernization. A large business that lacks the ability to make and sustain a difference. Work is not overly challenging, and many people seem to be putting in time.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere, people are nice, good work life balance
Cons
A lot of growth too quickly creating systems that are in need of updating. Archaic.
Productive and fun workpace
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON30 September 2016
Colleagues exceptional
Areas for growth and advancement
Numerous opportunitis to further develop knowledge and skill set
family oriented, team working environment
Registered Nurse (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON12 September 2016
Enjoy working here, my unit is like a second family. we work as a team and help eachother out. we support eachother while at work and after work. Coming to work we know we have tasks and goals to attain yet we still have fun in a nurturing enviroment. All staff are treated with respect and kindness regardless of their status.
Pros
team oriented, flexible schedule options
Cons
unable to get full time status for entry level nurses.
A great place to work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON7 August 2016
My experience with Grand River Hospital has been very positive and I find it an enjoyable place to work with many opportunities.
Patient Accounts
Collections Representative (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON22 June 2016
This was one of the WORST places I have ever worked in my life. Some of my co-workers were the meanest people I have ever met. My department was full of drama every day. Management was part of it too. I would consider myself outgoing with a positive attitude and this place literally drained me of all of that. I cant lie the pay and benefits were really good but it was not worth being bullied and feeling sick to my stomach every single day i walked in the doors. My suggestion to anyone who is looking to apply to this specific department is to not do it. I think that it's something you would regret. The only thing that would make that department better is if they hired new management and got rid of any of the bad seeds who work there. I should also mention that if you do decide to work here you better know exactly what you are doing before you start. There is NO training provided and if you ask a question be prepared to not receive a straight answer. Management loves to talk in circles and leave you feeling even more confused.
Pros
Salaray, benefits, vacation, pension
Cons
Drama, terrible management, no training, workplace bullying, depressing environment
Clinical Secretary (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON27 May 2016
Great place to work and good staff to work with. Busy but gratifying place to work. Managers are very accomodating to employees.
Pros
great staff to work with
Cons
parking is limited
Terrible management, decent pay
Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON16 March 2016
From a crazy sick policy, to favoritism, Grand River Hospital defines a nightmare work environment. If it wasn't for the above average pay, I would have quit long ago.

A typical day includes cleaning, moving patients and dealing with politics. Co-workers are for the most part, great but management is unbearable.

The job is not necessarily hard but requires a lot of repetitive movement and boredom. There is not much a competent person can learn (at least in the environmental services department).
Pros
There is a union to protect you
Cons
Employees are treated with disrespect
Great experience with vast medical knowledge about systemic approaches in canada.
Clinical Observership/ Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON10 March 2016
A typical work day begins at 8 AM. Firstly, meeting for grand rounds for specific patient information is discussed with the entire medical team. All the members and the physician agrees to the best treatment plan possible for the patients.

Further, as the day progresses. Observing the physician with each patient encounter and writing clinical notes. Also, few days of the week, patient care is needed and attended at the cancer clinic within the same hospital facility.
Great Hours and Great People
Patient Registration Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON4 February 2016
I loved completing my placement at Patient Registration, GRH. Everyday I would come in contact with new, interesting people and hear their stories, which I enjoyed fully. The work is very fast paced, which is an environment I thrive in. I love the people I worked with as well.

An aspect of the job I didn't enjoy was the fact it was unionized because I feel like since advancement is based on seniority, employees do not get recognized for their hard work and dedication, only for the hours they put in. That being said, I would not completely exclude the possibility of a unionized position.
Collaborative Work Environment putting patients needs above all
Clinical Secretary (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON21 January 2016
Everyday can be different as far as work load however quality of care provided to patients is always exceptional. A supportive environment to work in. Management is very approachable. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing what you do has a direct and positive impact on the most vulnerable of people, children.
Excellent
IT Professional (Current Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON20 January 2016
Excellent place to work.
I've enjoyed working to solve issues and come up with new ways to do thing better with new motivation.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GRAND RIVER HOSPITAL. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval