GRAND RIVER HOSPITAL Employee Reviews

Unprofessional
Clinical programs (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON22 October 2016
Unprofessional management and administration. This organization practices 15 years in the past, the management has no ideas on how to work independently or in the best interest of the front line staff. Culture of disrespect and negligence. It's a very self serving, mean environment. Very underhanded.
Salaries and vacation time are not competitive
Pros
Nice building
Cons
Poor work life balance, salary and management
consideration
Administration (Current Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON5 October 2016
There is a good team spirit at the hospital, but departments and positions are very compartmentalized. Culture is archaic that resists change and modernization. A large business that lacks the ability to make and sustain a difference. Work is not overly challenging, and many people seem to be putting in time.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere, people are nice, good work life balance
Cons
A lot of growth too quickly creating systems that are in need of updating. Archaic.
family oriented, team working environment
Registered Nurse (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON12 September 2016
Enjoy working here, my unit is like a second family. we work as a team and help eachother out. we support eachother while at work and after work. Coming to work we know we have tasks and goals to attain yet we still have fun in a nurturing enviroment. All staff are treated with respect and kindness regardless of their status.
Pros
team oriented, flexible schedule options
Cons
unable to get full time status for entry level nurses.
Productive and fun workpace
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON30 September 2016
Colleagues exceptional
Areas for growth and advancement
Numerous opportunitis to further develop knowledge and skill set
Terrible management, decent pay
Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON16 March 2016
From a crazy sick policy, to favoritism, Grand River Hospital defines a nightmare work environment. If it wasn't for the above average pay, I would have quit long ago.

A typical day includes cleaning, moving patients and dealing with politics. Co-workers are for the most part, great but management is unbearable.

The job is not necessarily hard but requires a lot of repetitive movement and boredom. There is not much a competent person can learn (at least in the environmental services department).
Pros
There is a union to protect you
Cons
Employees are treated with disrespect
Great experience with vast medical knowledge about systemic approaches in canada.
Clinical Observership/ Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON10 March 2016
A typical work day begins at 8 AM. Firstly, meeting for grand rounds for specific patient information is discussed with the entire medical team. All the members and the physician agrees to the best treatment plan possible for the patients.

Further, as the day progresses. Observing the physician with each patient encounter and writing clinical notes. Also, few days of the week, patient care is needed and attended at the cancer clinic within the same hospital facility.
A great place to work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON7 August 2016
My experience with Grand River Hospital has been very positive and I find it an enjoyable place to work with many opportunities.
Great Hours and Great People
Patient Registration Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON4 February 2016
I loved completing my placement at Patient Registration, GRH. Everyday I would come in contact with new, interesting people and hear their stories, which I enjoyed fully. The work is very fast paced, which is an environment I thrive in. I love the people I worked with as well.

An aspect of the job I didn't enjoy was the fact it was unionized because I feel like since advancement is based on seniority, employees do not get recognized for their hard work and dedication, only for the hours they put in. That being said, I would not completely exclude the possibility of a unionized position.
Clinical Secretary (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON27 May 2016
Great place to work and good staff to work with. Busy but gratifying place to work. Managers are very accomodating to employees.
Pros
great staff to work with
Cons
parking is limited
Collaborative Work Environment putting patients needs above all
Clinical Secretary (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON21 January 2016
Everyday can be different as far as work load however quality of care provided to patients is always exceptional. A supportive environment to work in. Management is very approachable. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing what you do has a direct and positive impact on the most vulnerable of people, children.
Patient Accounts
Collections Representative (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON22 June 2016
This was one of the WORST places I have ever worked in my life. Some of my co-workers were the meanest people I have ever met. My department was full of drama every day. Management was part of it too. I would consider myself outgoing with a positive attitude and this place literally drained me of all of that. I cant lie the pay and benefits were really good but it was not worth being bullied and feeling sick to my stomach every single day i walked in the doors. My suggestion to anyone who is looking to apply to this specific department is to not do it. I think that it's something you would regret. The only thing that would make that department better is if they hired new management and got rid of any of the bad seeds who work there. I should also mention that if you do decide to work here you better know exactly what you are doing before you start. There is NO training provided and if you ask a question be prepared to not receive a straight answer. Management loves to talk in circles and leave you feeling even more confused.
Pros
Salaray, benefits, vacation, pension
Cons
Drama, terrible management, no training, workplace bullying, depressing environment
Unsafe workloads. Bullish administration. Non-existent union. Keep away.
RN (Current Employee) –  Grand River Hospital22 October 2015
Very budget oriented administration and management. All they care about is money. Many units work unsafe due to the workload. Sick calls not replaced. People are burned out, constantly forced to work sort. Administration is bullish. Union non-existent and pocketed by the administration. I feel the only thing that keeps me at work is my coworkers. Keep away, if possible.
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
unsafe workloads. Bullish administration. Non-existent union
Worst management ever
Clinical Secretary (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON17 November 2015
This may be specific to the particular department I worked in, but miscommunication and backstabbing was so abundant .... i'm literally still in disbelief.
Bottom line: I think GRH has gone the way of the corporation, ie too big for its own good. It's faceless and inefficient.
Excellent
IT Professional (Current Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON20 January 2016
Excellent place to work.
I've enjoyed working to solve issues and come up with new ways to do thing better with new motivation.
great work place
Schedular (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON29 November 2015
I have enjoyed working at. Grand River Hospital as an RPN as well as a scheduler but I want to retire and am looking for part time work else where to top up my pension.
Casual dress and for the most part fun!
Accounting Clerk 6 (Former Employee) –  Patient Accounts18 March 2015
Had a variety of additional extra duties on my desk (11) on top of my own job.

The day was always extremely busy but a good busy! I learned accounting practices and Ministry of Health practices as well.

Management was good, hard job to do with the financial cutbacks from the province.

The hardest part of my job because it was one of the most time-consuming, was the MOH upload.

The most enjoyable part was coming in to work 5 days a week to the same people and enjoying my time with them even in a very busy environment.
Pros
enjoyed my job
Cons
extremely short staffed
Busy Hospital
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, Ontario17 October 2015
The best part about this job is knowing that at the end of the day, all the hard work you put in may have helped at least one person.
Pros
social club benifits
Cons
very loud
Part Time MRT. Areas (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON23 October 2015
Great place to work servicing Kitchener-Waterloo. The staff are great to work with! Lots of services offered within the hospital.
Working with Chief of Psychiatry team is different every day.
Executive Secretary - Contract 1 year (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, on23 July 2014
A typical work day is taking minutes, transcribing dictation, scheduling meetings. My managers are all friendly and helpful and have a good work ethic. My co-workers are also friendly and will always assist me. The hardest part is taking the minutes and trying to learn all the medical terms. The most enjoyable part is knowing I'm assisting people.
Pros
Working in a great environment with friendly people
Great place to work, great staff and environment
Department Secretary (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON20 August 2014
The atmosphere in the unit where I work is great. It's a pretty laid back environment and everyone is very friendly. Working at a job like mine makes it easy to want to come to work everyday. There is no stress and going home at the end of day without any stress is a very positive thing. The hardest part about this job is that my contract is coming to an end very soon and it's difficult to obtain a full time permanent job due to the number of people applying for jobs and also it's a union job so therefore seniority rules have to be followed.

I love, love, love the job here and I am hoping that someday I will be a full-time employee of Grand River Hospital.
Pros
Day shift hours of 8:30 - 4:30 are wonderful!
Cons
Hard to obtain a full time permanent position

2.8