GRAND RIVER FOODS Employee Reviews

Workplace
Blender machine operator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON20 April 2017
I really enjoyed this job. Love working with other people. Learned a lot with setting up and running machinery. Working in blending I learned about different ingredients in our product and how to mix spices.
everything was great but the managers
Blending food Operator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON20 October 2016
Fast paced
hard work
worked with some friends
kept the production running on time
mandatory overtime every other weekend
Friendly coworkers and with adequate management. Great wages and benefits but the job leaves little free time.
Production Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON26 April 2016
All in all it is a good job that pays well for the difficulty of the work. But the hours can make it difficult to have a social life. Depending on your shift, you can come in between 6am and 7:30am for day shift or between 2pm and 3:30pm for afternoons. A typical workday is 8 hours with 2 paid 20 minute breaks. Each day you are assigned to a line. Throughout the day you are rotated between various positions for your line so you never do the same thing for too long. The work is repetitive but easy and the company of your fellow coworkers is enjoyable. The toll on your social life is really the biggest downside of the job and is purely subjective depending on the person.
Pros
wages, co-workers, benefits.
Cons
Hours.
Cold fast pace environment
LINE WORKER (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON23 February 2016
You need to be quick with your hands and able to stand for long periods of time, it is also very noisy and cold. Great learning experience for anyone interested in material handling and packaging. Hours were amazing, Wake up in the morning, go to work, come home and carry on with your day.
Productive and fun workplace!
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON8 November 2015
The work day there would almost always just fly right by, and it would be home time before I knew it! I guess this is because no matter which part of the plant I was assigned to each post was a fast-paced assembly style. I enjoyed this fast-paced routine because it kept me on the ball. There was no time for boredom!
Pros
Obtained valuable experience as well as valuable friendships.
Cons
The plant was a refrigerated plant and as much as we bundled up it was still cold.
STAY AWAY!!!! Really bad Management!... They don't care about their employees
Sanitation Worker/Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON8 January 2015
the only good things about working here, is the people you work with... management sucks... and I can guarantee, everyone that still works there will say the same... The pay is good, but you work is a very cold environment... they will move you around from job to job, and not even ask you permission, especially if you like the job your currently doing... They will fire you if they don't like you... they take advantage of their employees. i was there for 2 years... and i strongly urge you to STAY AWAY!!!!!
Pros
christmas parties.. random BBQ throughout the year...
Cons
working in the cold... management
Fast paced
Machine Operator / Formulator Blender (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON21 September 2014
Excellent work environment
Loyal employee's
Excellent team leaders
Not good
Shipping/ Shunt Driver on afternoon shift (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON12 September 2014
I did this job for over 3 months. The money is good but that's it. You'll be made to work a 3 hour shift each Saturday afternoon and evening and a 3 hour shift on Sunday afternoons. Not optional. You'll be inside the freezer loading trucks 90% of the time and only shunting 10% of the time except for Friday nights when you'll be fueling reefers and pin locking trailers. The equipment is not very good either. They no longer have the employee food program either.
Pros
Good salary and benefits
Cons
Frozeen enviroment and work every weekend
A very cold and mostly miserable place
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON9 February 2014
Worked there because I was in debt and the pay was good at the time
Pros
Free food
Cons
Very cold
Clean workplace with the correct priorities.
Temp, taking on various responsibilities. (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON9 November 2013
Grand River Foods takes great care to keep the workplace clean by regularly washing the rooms and equipment and leaving many signs and warnings for employees to keep clean hands as well as other sanitary behavior for working with food.
The managers are respectful towards the employees and the workers generally get along in and out of the workplace.
The most difficult work has to do with awareness and speed, usually while packing boxes on a busy day or separating the good meat from the bad as it passes on a conveyor belt. Also, workers must be ready to face the fridge temperatures of the rooms, usually by dressing in many layers, or to deal with loud machinery despite wearing earplugs.
But the job was also enjoyable, for employees generally work alongside each other and are free to converse for as long as they complete their tasks properly.
Pros
Employees have a discount on the meat that doesn't make the cut to go to the stores.
Cons
Cold temperatures, loud noise.

Want to know more about GRAND RIVER FOODS?

Ask a question
enjoy enviroment
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee) –  cambridge ontario1 August 2013
A typical day was very simple i loaded and off loaded trailers when product was finished on the line for live loads.
While waiting for product to finish, i would help out the production team on the line or do both jobs mine and production if they were short handed.
Everyone that i was working with and or around me was very nice and friendly which made my day and position very enjoyable
Pros
people, my job it self
Cons
not steady hours
It was a cold place to work at....meat packaging plant
Line worker (Former Employee) –  Cambridge26 December 2012
Just went in a did the job that was required to do..I learned how to work with so many different people and different jobs in the plant
the co workers were all great to work with
the hardest part was working in the cold...u had to know how to dress warmly for the job
Pros
they had bbq and free lunches once in a while
Cons
the hrs were ok...some time the overtime
Very fast paced hard job
Live recieve and cut and pack labourer (Former Employee) –  Beamsville, ON30 October 2012
worked eight hours five days a week.I learned how to do alot of different jobs through out the factory.My bosses were all great and easy to work for and with.Co workers were very freindly and hard working.The most enjoyable part of my job was getting opportuninity to try different jobs and train new people
Pros
good pay
Cons
long hard hours
Productive and fun place to work.
Packaging/Line worker/Sanitation (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON5 June 2012
a typical day was a fast paced production line packing chicken. managing packaging machines and working with raw chciken. i learned how to operate machines. coworkers were very friendly and i enjoyed working with them. the hardest part of the job was when packaging machines went down and had to dump chicken into bins and having to lift them upstairs continously. the most enjoyable part was again the coworkers and the fact that the facility was refridgerated
Pros
refridgerated friendly