Grand Canyon University Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good Place to work!!
Student Service Advising Manager (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 14, 2015
Pros: Great people and staff
Cons: Stubborn executive management
With my six years at GCU, I learned a ton and was able to advance multiple times.

I enjoyed working with students and listening to their success stories and being that GCU had a ground campus presence, it was nice to attend student graduation and meet the students who I advised and help to complete their degree.

Unfortunately, some upper management was tough to talk to at times in regards to concerns or ways to improve departments.
Productive and Fun Work Place
Athletic Event Worker (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 12, 2015
Pros: free lunches. free shirts.
Cons: short to no breaks
I would work at all the sports games. Set up and take down and work all games. We worked with the scoreboards, music, and helped with the flow of the game. We worked closely with the athletic director. The coworkers became family and the hardest part was some of the long days. The most enjoyable part was the fact that we got paid to work the sports games.
A decent place to work
University Development Representative (Former Employee), Four Corners, USAMay 11, 2015
Pros: good work life balance
Cons: too much change
I worked as a University Development Representative for GCU. The training was extensive and good. On a day to day basis, I made sales calls, followed up on various applications, set appointments for various events, and about 3 days a week I would be on the road at events and representing GCU. In my particular territory, I would often have to drive long distances (3 hours one way) to get to my events, as I worked almost exclusively on the Navajo Reservation. Often my drives would be almost entirely without cell coverage and in very remote areas on The Reservation. This is not the norm for most GCU UDR positions.

My manager was excellent. Our Director was intimidating (I'm not easily intimidated).

I did not have much interaction with my coworkers, as I worked from home and managed my own territory. However, there was a high retention rate amongst the Tribal Team staff. I felt most of the people I worked with were friendly, but could have been more helpful to the newer people on the team. They seemed mostly to care only about their own areas of responsibility and didn't take much time to help new people get up to speed or explain the bigger picture.

The hardest part of my job was trying to sell an expensive education to an impoverished population. Most GCU UDRs do not work with the various tribes - only the small Tribal team - and thus don't face the economic realities that I faced.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working from home (when not traveling) and setting my own schedule.

I recommend GCU as an employer for people who live in more populated areas. In my case, I resigned partly due to some life circumstances and partly because I didn't feel the region and population I was assigned to were a good set up for success.
Wonderful Christian beliefs, great people
Instructor (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 7, 2015
Pros: Great people, Christian values
Cons: Lower compensation range
Able to make my own hours and work with students online during their college experience. Nice people, responsive to students and staff.
Good beginner job
University Development Territory Management NW (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVMay 3, 2015
Pros: Experience
Cons: Lack of communication
Great job to work at if you planning on attending school. I gained a lot of experience off of trial and error from my own mistakes just wish the leadership was much more seasoned.
Great company to work for
P/T Summer Youth Program Coor (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 1, 2015
Pros: Great Social Interaction
Cons: Extreme heat outside
• Plans and manages youth activities
• Responsible for parental feedback daily.
• Provided quality customer service to the children.
• Provided project status update to the Travel Manager.
• Answered incoming phone calls and delivered messages in a timely manner
• Dispersed Weekly memos/Sorted Mail
• Ordered Lunches/Picked up Lunches/Ordered Coffee and Bottled Water where needed
Good School
Student Intern (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZApril 30, 2015
Pros: good choices
Cons: unsupportive
Good people. Reliable, hard working, and dedicated! Well organized and motivated to help students succeed. Quick service and responses to email and phone calls.
Great atmosphere and didn't want to leave GCU!
Grand Canyon University (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZApril 29, 2015
A typical day at work would be coming into the Arena, getting logged in and conversing with my co-workers and managers and catching up on life! The management at the Arena was top-notch! They all worked together and brought their A game everyday! Hardest part of the job was leaving because I never wanted to leave. Most enjoyable was making long lasting friendships while working there.
Productive, fun, and supportive work enviornmnet
Event Services Department - Student Worker (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZApril 27, 2015
Pros: I was able to stay in the same position throughout college career.
Cons: More work to accomplish than the allotted time.
A typical day at work was busy and productive; I learned how to coordinate events efficiently; the management was encouraging and resourceful; my fellow co-workers were supportive and positive; the hardest part of the job were the many events happening on campus and having inadequate supplies to support them; and the most enjoyable part of the job were the many opportunities growth within the job.
It is a productive and fun working environment
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZApril 24, 2015
Grand Canyon University is a good place to teach. I gained much experience while teaching there. Their professional development training is exceptional. They have quality faculty and a great working staff.
Grand Canyon University
Student-Teacher Supervisor (Former Employee), Phoenix, telecommuted from Los Angeles.April 22, 2015
Pros: Very rewarding emotionally. Fair expectations. You know exactly what you need to do.
Cons: Communication sucks. My position was eliminated by a low-level supervisor, and I had no recourse.
I worked as a Student Teacher on site Supervisor. I loved doing this job. The problem lay in the fact that you were expected to drive long distances to observe a student in their classroom assignment. The fuel costs were exorbitant! There were no "co-workers" so there was no one with whom one could go, to help work out effective practices.
One needed to go to TaskStream and evaluate the student within a short period of time, and the student was then expected to improve their practice. My students seemed to think I was pretty fair, and only one time, did this become a problem, where I was told I was assigned a student who had failed the semester before, and then my immediate supervisor told me I had contacted the student improperly. No one asked my side of the story, and then I was suddenly out of work. I was so disappointed. I loved that job, and it is a shame they were so stupid about it. I never thought I would be so casually thrown aside.
You receive a stipend per student per term. I wish it had covered my expenses better.
A wonderful community
Enrollment Counselor (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZApril 17, 2015
As an enrollment counselor/university recruiter, most of my time was spent searching for quality students and processing new student paperwork. The best part of the job was building relationships with your students and helping them throughout their time at Grand Canyon University.
The job and company are very exciting.
Credential Evaluator (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZApril 17, 2015
the company always has new program offerings. There are always free events that employees can take their families too.
A calm workplace
Student Worker (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZApril 14, 2015
Working at Grand Canyon is great. It allowed me to develop time management, and leadership. I went in with no office experience and since then I have learned and done more that I though I could working there.
Excellent Benefit Package
University Development Representative (Current Employee), Home BasedApril 10, 2015
Grand Canyon University offers a great benefit package including tuition assistance. Leadership, flexibility and endurance are necessary to succeed. I am fortunate to have worked with GCU, met co-workers I now call friends and received excellent educational degrees.
Experience here depends on what you do
University Development Representative (Current Employee), NJApril 9, 2015
External reps - University Development Reps have extremely high requirements that are predominantly unattainable. There is no work-life balance. You have a work cell that you are expected to make yourself available at any time. If you work less than 60 hours in this role, you will not be successful. If you do not meet their metrics, you will be released. Positions on campus are different. The environment on campus is night-and-day to external reps.
Performanced based sales
Doctoral Enrollment Manager (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZApril 8, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: Inept leadership at the senior and excecutive levels
Very hectic high pressure sales to meet enrollment quota's for each start date. The company was always is a perpetual state of organizational change. I learned how to manage organizational changes in regard to operations and employee performance expectations. As a manager I attempted to pursue a transformational leadership style with servant leadership behavioral attributes. My coworkers where extremely supportive and we actively communicated and collaborated to be more effective managers. The most challenging aspect of the job was working with my direct supervisor which was a senior vice president that was never around and did not support her managers. The most enjoyable part of my job was having a positive impact on my direct reports and the learners that we helped start their doctoral programs.
Structured and productive work environment that cares about student success and customer service.
University Development Representative (Current Employee), Tempe, AZApril 7, 2015
Work days consist of creating and attending events at local businesses, schools, and organizations to provide information through presentations on GCU online programs. On days when events are not scheduled responsibilities included following up and guiding students through the enrollment process. Hardest part of the job is finding students interested in pursuing higher education. However, when you do it is a great feeling to know that you just made a difference in someone's life.
Great opportunites for employees
Online Instructor (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZMarch 21, 2015
Pros: working from home, various perks, and working with the students
Cons: turn around time for posting grades andstudents turning in late assignments
A typical day a work consist of communicating with the students, responding to their questions, and grading their assignments. The hardest part of the job is not being able to help those students who are auditory learners because we work online, and the enjoyable part is being able to work from home.
Counselor
Student Service Advisor (Former Employee), Tempe, AZMarch 9, 2015
Pros: work from home
Cons: daily restrictions
Worked with over 300 online students from enrollment to graduation. Daily schedule of accounts and meeting deadlines. Accounting, financial aid, auditing students accounts to make sure all finance and academic information is corrected and completed. Worked with a team of 10 counselors. I was the team lead for over 1 year. Hardest part of the job was sitting at my desk for a long period of time. Most enjoyable was training and helping others on my team.

1 2 3 4 5

About Grand Canyon University

Since 1949, Grand Canyon University has been helping students find their purpose and achieve their potential by preparing them – Read more

Grand Canyon University Photos