Grand Canyon University

Grand Canyon University Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Excellent Compensation
Full-Time Faculty (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZAugust 21, 2015
GCU provides excellent compensation for adjunct instructors. They provide ongoing professional development opportunities that can lead to full time faculty positions.
Miserable
Enrollment Counselor (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZAugust 18, 2015
Pros: Freedom of religion
Cons: Micromanagement, bullying, intimidation-Not what but WHO
Enrollment Counselor: College of Nursing/Health Care Professions-Online Division

Management is TERRIBLE. It is not about what you know but WHO you know. No support, constant unproductive criticism, and threats of loss of employment. The best interest of students is not at heart; GCU is a money factory that treats potential students as tangible objects. Essentially, you are selling and EDUCATION the same way you would be selling a car.
Can either be a fun or stressful environment. It depends on the person. Most people are 50/50 on their answers
Technical Support Representative (Level 1.5) (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZAugust 10, 2015
I worked here for 3 years and enjoyed my job. Towards the end, I didn't enjoy it as much as when I first started, because some of the managers had favorites and would put them over everyone else. The coworkers were nice, I met a TON of people and everyone is generally friendly. Very rarely, will you come across a rude coworker. If you have difficulty talking to people on the phone, I would recommend this job because it will help you get over that fear. I don't know why it was such an issue for me when I was younger, but after working here, I've developed better communication skills.
Undergrad student workers can either be a Level 1 or 1.5. Everyone starts off as a Level 1 and if you excel at your job, you may be promoted after at least 3 months I believe. There is only a $1 difference in the pay raise. Level 1's make $8/hr, while Level 1.5's make $9.
One thing to note is, if you're not a patient person, I wouldn't recommend this job. There will be many types of calls, from many different types of people and you can sometimes be on a call or even a chat, for an hour or more. As the customer, the last thing you want is someone with an attitude when you need assistance. Especially if you're someone who is computer illiterate, and the representative is trying to get you off the phone as quickly as possible, or hand you over to the next rep.
One last thing to remember is, they're open 7 days/week 362 days a year. The ONLY days they're closed is Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Years Day. They also are open from 6am-midnight everyday, except on weekends, they're open from 7am-midnight.
great working environment
ENROLLMENT COUNSELOR (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZAugust 8, 2015
Pros: Changing lives by assisting other receive a great education
Cons: making lots of phone calls a day
Call potential students all over the US and enroll them into our Language Arts and Business degree programs. Assist them with Financial Aid and follow up on their educational progress.

I learned new technology programs and how to stay consistent on the phones.

great co-workers, very professional.

I had an outstanding boss who always helped me when needed assistance and guidance.

Making over 250 calls day and having to average 4.0 hrs on the phone interviewing candidates

Most enjoyable part of my job was to help change peoples lives by giving them options to start school and start a new career by attending school and receiving a great education.
Great Place to Work
Collections Supervisor (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZAugust 6, 2015
Great Place to Work awesome university the people and culture of the company. The company has growth potential both internally and externally.
Innovation
Field Experience Specialists (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZAugust 4, 2015
Pros: Flexibility
Cons: For Profit Business Model
This position allowed for some autonomy and growth with in building but did not truly help for advancement in other areas.
Positive
full time student (Former Employee), PhoenixAugust 3, 2015
Great school and great professor a great place to get an education in the Phoenix metropolitan area. Would highly recommend this university to anyone looking to obtain a degree.
Not the best environment
Technical Support Representative Level 1 (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 30, 2015
Pros: The pay
Cons: environment, noise level, opportunities, no diverse workload
A typical day consisted of taking call after call after call with very few people to cover and assist all of the online and on-campus students. Management makes empty promises in regards to moving up in the company ladder. Quality Assurance was very nit picky and only resulted in low morale and worse calls. New workers never stay long and the department just hires new people instead of trying to train their workforce.
Writing Tutor (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Flexible hours, Growing knowledge of APA and MLA
Cons: Communication
Being a tutor allows students to further not only their only understanding of given subjects, but to help further their peers understanding as well. The job was very cut and dry and allowed for fun within the office pertaining to a relaxed atmosphere that retained its professionalism as most student workers would ask for an have while working on campus.
Very good student worker position.
Outbound Qualifying Specialist {Customer Service} (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Interaction with potential students, co-workers, flexible schedule.
Cons: Short breaks, sitting for 4 to 8 hours a day.
Made calls to potential students about possibly attending GCU.
Better understanding of customer service. Making calls. Management was good, very easily to talk with and work with. Dealing with angry customers at times. And the most enjoyable thing was talking with students about their futures.
Good Company
Enrollment Counselor (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 20, 2015
Good pay.
Good benefits.
Good hours.
Good schedules.
Job culture and management can also be good, depending on what area of the company you work in.
Stable work, no opportunity for advancement
Degree Progress Audit Specialist (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 16, 2015
Pros: Tuition Benefits
Cons: Perscription coverage
It is very difficult to advance within GCU. The culture is very management top heavy, and very political. I feel that the quality of your work performance and commitment to the company and the students should drive all advancement opportunities.
5 Stars
Admission Representative (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 15, 2015
Great benefits and management. Enjoyable to enroll students and positively affect their lives. Work life balance is excellent.
It has been a great experience
Student Services Advisor (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 10, 2015
A typical work day included a balance of Financial and Academic advisement to an assigned student population. During my time in this position I learned the importance of efficiently multitasking and meeting the individual needs of each student. I worked under several supervisors which was not problematic as, I am easily adaptable under new management.
My experience with my coworkers has been superb. I enjoy the environment that is fostered amongst us. We work very hard and regularly support and encourage one another.
The hardest part of the position is managing the day in a way that I can accommodate unforeseen student issues. Since I deal with a fairly large student population many issues arise that need immediate attention. It is imperative to properly manage all of my responsibilities in a manner where I can adequately resolve such issues as they arise.
I have truly enjoyed my time in this position. The one on one interaction with the students has been fulfilling. I have had the pleasure of watching students grow both academically and as young adults.
GCU Athletics
Professor (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 22, 2015
Growing, great place and environment to be in. Will continue to do great things as they grow. Students, faculty, and staff have a lot of passion for the school and bleed purple every day of their lives.
Adjunct Professor
Adjunct Business Professor (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 19, 2015
Teach business classes online. You are paid per student enrolled and will max out on pay $240 per week once you have 13 students. You may have 25+ students, but the pay doesn't change.
Enjoyed teaching psychiatric nursing to students on the floor.
Clinical Instructor-Psychiatric Nursing (Former Employee), Clinical instructor in psychiatric nursing.June 16, 2015
Pros: Strong leadership and support.
Good place to work, balanced curriculum with strong student support. GCU offers many opportunities for students to learn.
Excellent [place to work
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 16, 2015
Pros: Good computer center
Cons: none
Very well organized University with strong teaching skills required. enjoyed working with other instructors and there was a strong partnership in learning and teaching
Fun to work and meet new people.
Utility worker (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 11, 2015
Pros: Free lunch
Cons: No breaks, but only a half hour lunch.
I would go back if they provided breaks and a lunch not only a lunch , half hour. They make you work like a slave, always watching and eyeballing their workers.
Positive Place to Work
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 9, 2015
GCU is a positive place to work. Faculty very willing to help. Opportunities to use talents and personal stories and experiences.
Room for advancement depends on who and what you are trying to do. I am part-time faculty and it is very difficult to get a full time job right now.
Headquarters