Grand Canyon University Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Very good student worker position.
Outbound Qualifying Specialist {Customer Service} (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Interaction with potential students, co-workers, flexible schedule.
Cons: Short breaks, sitting for 4 to 8 hours a day.
Made calls to potential students about possibly attending GCU.
Better understanding of customer service. Making calls. Management was good, very easily to talk with and work with. Dealing with angry customers at times. And the most enjoyable thing was talking with students about their futures.
Supervision and evaluation of college students performing student teaching.
Supervisor of student teachers (Former Employee), State of OhioJuly 26, 2015
Pros: Participating in the growth and development of potental teachers.
Cons: None
Supervise and evaluated college seniors performing their mandated student teaching experience in elementary, middle, and high schools within the state of Ohio.
Career Advancement and Growth
College Admissions Counselor (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 21, 2015
I am very ambitious, I want a company that will me grow and work hard. I have found at my current job I had reached the glass ceiling, and I have much more to give a company.
Good Company
Enrollment Counselor (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 20, 2015
Good pay.
Good benefits.
Good hours.
Good schedules.
Job culture and management can also be good, depending on what area of the company you work in.
Stable work, no opportunity for advancement
Degree Progress Audit Specialist (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 16, 2015
Pros: Tuition Benefits
Cons: Perscription coverage
It is very difficult to advance within GCU. The culture is very management top heavy, and very political. I feel that the quality of your work performance and commitment to the company and the students should drive all advancement opportunities.
5 Stars
Admission Representative (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 15, 2015
Great benefits and management. Enjoyable to enroll students and positively affect their lives. Work life balance is excellent.
It has been a great experience
Student Services Advisor (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 10, 2015
A typical work day included a balance of Financial and Academic advisement to an assigned student population. During my time in this position I learned the importance of efficiently multitasking and meeting the individual needs of each student. I worked under several supervisors which was not problematic as, I am easily adaptable under new management.
My experience with my coworkers has been superb. I enjoy the environment that is fostered amongst us. We work very hard and regularly support and encourage one another.
The hardest part of the position is managing the day in a way that I can accommodate unforeseen student issues. Since I deal with a fairly large student population many issues arise that need immediate attention. It is imperative to properly manage all of my responsibilities in a manner where I can adequately resolve such issues as they arise.
I have truly enjoyed my time in this position. The one on one interaction with the students has been fulfilling. I have had the pleasure of watching students grow both academically and as young adults.
GCU Athletics
Professor (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 22, 2015
Growing, great place and environment to be in. Will continue to do great things as they grow. Students, faculty, and staff have a lot of passion for the school and bleed purple every day of their lives.
Adjunct Professor
Adjunct Business Professor (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 19, 2015
Teach business classes online. You are paid per student enrolled and will max out on pay $240 per week once you have 13 students. You may have 25+ students, but the pay doesn't change.
Enjoyed teaching psychiatric nursing to students on the floor.
Clinical Instructor-Psychiatric Nursing (Former Employee), Clinical instructor in psychiatric nursing.June 16, 2015
Pros: Strong leadership and support.
Good place to work, balanced curriculum with strong student support. GCU offers many opportunities for students to learn.
Excellent [place to work
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 16, 2015
Pros: Good computer center
Cons: none
Very well organized University with strong teaching skills required. enjoyed working with other instructors and there was a strong partnership in learning and teaching
Fun to work and meet new people.
Utility worker (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 11, 2015
Pros: Free lunch
Cons: No breaks, but only a half hour lunch.
I would go back if they provided breaks and a lunch not only a lunch , half hour. They make you work like a slave, always watching and eyeballing their workers.
Positive Place to Work
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 9, 2015
GCU is a positive place to work. Faculty very willing to help. Opportunities to use talents and personal stories and experiences.
Room for advancement depends on who and what you are trying to do. I am part-time faculty and it is very difficult to get a full time job right now.
Loved it
Enrollment Counselor - Lead (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 1, 2015
Pros: free school, reputable school
Cons: no room to advance
free school is the best part, they have a product you can be proud of, no room for advancement and people are not paid what they are worth compared to people who are not as good at the job
Productive and fast paced environment.
Inbound Call Specialist (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 31, 2015
Productive and fast paced environment. A typical day consists of answering and routing calls with about 2-3 minutes in between.
Potential for Greatness Squandered by Poor Leadership
Military Division Enrollment Counselor (Former Employee), Phoenix ArizonaMay 28, 2015
Pros: Free education, great co-workers, and easy work environment
Cons: Horrible leadership and pushy cultural political alignment
This job was actually very easy and fun. However, the management culture at the time was very poor. Locked door meetings where management declared "No one is leaving until someone quits" - Human Resources is lead by one individual that cannot sufficiently do the job. Co-workers were pretty awesome, met some great people who are now managers.

The hardest part of the job was keeping up the tempo of being busy. The databases had old leads, but it was very easy to meet metrics. The culture was also kind of hard to get along with as the institutions president actually had a political stance and agenda.

The most enjoyable part of the job was outside opportunities for growth and development - free education, community service opportunities, and work related fun.
Good work environment, helpful and friendly colleagues and a supportive team.
Student Worker (Current Employee), Phoenix ArizonaMay 24, 2015
Grand Canyon University has been a remarkable place to work with magnificent co-workers who are always willing to help and support. A typical work day is not only professional but very relaxing as well as the working environment is cordial and friendly.
Good Place to work!!
Student Service Advising Manager (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 14, 2015
Pros: Great people and staff
Cons: Stubborn executive management
With my six years at GCU, I learned a ton and was able to advance multiple times.

I enjoyed working with students and listening to their success stories and being that GCU had a ground campus presence, it was nice to attend student graduation and meet the students who I advised and help to complete their degree.

Unfortunately, some upper management was tough to talk to at times in regards to concerns or ways to improve departments.
Productive and Fun Work Place
Athletic Event Worker (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 12, 2015
Pros: free lunches. free shirts.
Cons: short to no breaks
I would work at all the sports games. Set up and take down and work all games. We worked with the scoreboards, music, and helped with the flow of the game. We worked closely with the athletic director. The coworkers became family and the hardest part was some of the long days. The most enjoyable part was the fact that we got paid to work the sports games.
A decent place to work
University Development Representative (Former Employee), Four Corners, USAMay 11, 2015
Pros: good work life balance
Cons: too much change
I worked as a University Development Representative for GCU. The training was extensive and good. On a day to day basis, I made sales calls, followed up on various applications, set appointments for various events, and about 3 days a week I would be on the road at events and representing GCU. In my particular territory, I would often have to drive long distances (3 hours one way) to get to my events, as I worked almost exclusively on the Navajo Reservation. Often my drives would be almost entirely without cell coverage and in very remote areas on The Reservation. This is not the norm for most GCU UDR positions.

My manager was excellent. Our Director was intimidating (I'm not easily intimidated).

I did not have much interaction with my coworkers, as I worked from home and managed my own territory. However, there was a high retention rate amongst the Tribal Team staff. I felt most of the people I worked with were friendly, but could have been more helpful to the newer people on the team. They seemed mostly to care only about their own areas of responsibility and didn't take much time to help new people get up to speed or explain the bigger picture.

The hardest part of my job was trying to sell an expensive education to an impoverished population. Most GCU UDRs do not work with the various tribes - only the small Tribal team - and thus don't face the economic realities that I faced.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working from home (when not traveling) and setting my own schedule.

I recommend GCU as an employer for people who live in more populated areas. In my case, I resigned partly due to some life circumstances and partly because I didn't feel the region and population I was assigned to were a good set up for success.

1 2 3 4 5

About Grand Canyon University

Why Grand Canyon University? Grand Canyon University continues on a path of unprecedented growth as a leading higher education – Read more

Grand Canyon University Photos