Grand Canyon University Employee Reviews

Great environment bad department
Billing/Collections Representative (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 17, 2016
The department i was in was a unorganized compared to other departments unrealistic expectations were set on reps and a consultant was brought in who could only talk and did not get results.
Terrible atmosphere
Enrollment Counselor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 13, 2016
Enrollment counselor position is just sales with horrible leads. Management "leads" with fear and employees are unhappy.
Excellent Benefits
Enrollment Counselor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 10, 2016
Wonderful co-workers and team environment. Management needs more training and should have previous experience in the education field.
Solid company financially, poor leadership in a variety of ways
Enrollment Counselor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 7, 2016
Lack of leadership integrity
Leadership is only focused on bottom-line results, even when those results are not in the best interest of students
Education
Business Development Representative (Current Employee) –  ArizonaJune 6, 2016
GCU is a good christian school with impressive academics and athletics.

Benefits are great with opportunity for free education and work environment is hit or miss depending on several factors which affect most companies.

More hands-on training is needed to ensure lasting success of employees. Politics are probably the same as other companies also, so either you will like it or not depending on who you are and your personal values and ethics.
Pros
Free education, great co-workers, and Christian campus atmosphere
Cons
Sales Environment
online school
Student (Former Employee) –  onlineMay 31, 2016
I didn't mind the online school experience but I do prefer going to class. The work load was easy to keep up with but its nice have a person to talk to face to face when your learning something new.
Great Enviroment to work in on campus
Dual Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 28, 2016
The enviroment was great! The school does grear in showing appreciate to their employees by way of awards and including families in events such as basketball games and conventions.
Pros
Free Lunch, Actvities, Free education
Cons
Not much clear direction
Good fast paced environment with friendly staff
Lopes Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 27, 2016
This was a computer-based job and it entailed having daily tasks to be done for recruitment a enrollment counselors to present their interested students with proper information. I learned how to navigate through a computer very well and juggle many tasks, including microsoft excel. I also learned how a fast-paced environment that is computer based works. My management was very friendly and knowledgeable, as were my coworkers. The hardest part of the job was getting into the flow of work there, it is a type of job that you have to encounter many different situations to learn because every scenario you are working on is different. They were very flexible with hours, which was great being a full-time student at the time as well.
Pros
great scheduling
Cons
short to no breaks
Good environment, good culture
Student Services (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 24, 2016
Grand Canyon University is a good place to work. They take care of their employees with work from home opportunity, alternate shift opportunity, many days off for vacation, and even half days occasionally, just because. Most of the base level managers don't know how to train their employees or hold them accountable. Training for those managers is poor so they can't be blamed too much for not knowing how to manage. They give way too much room to those employees who don't feel like working and the manager gets frustrated that the employees aren't doing what they are supposed to. Those who do work hard get rewarded by staying under the radar and having more freedom. Advancement opportunity is poor unless you already know someone.
Like any job, it's all about production
Online enrollment counselor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 19, 2016
Online enrollment is an inside sales job, plain and simple. Some managers admit that, some don't, so continued training can vary. Numbers are down over the past couple of years, and their response is to micromanage. Pay isn't bad at first, and if you make it 2 years you get a nice salary bump. Benefits are great (school for you and your family is pretty much free), and the culture is pretty relaxed, aside from the micromanaging.
Pros
Benefits, pay, corp atmosphere
Cons
Micromanaging, a 'what have you done for me lately' treatment
Productive and family-like place
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 17, 2016
Working for Grand Canyon University is great because they work hard in allowing you to learn and settle into a professional environment while balancing your student life.
Enrollment Counselor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 16, 2016
GCU is a thriving campus with an exceptional culture. The most enjoyable part of the job is graduating students. The hardest part of the job is the internal politics.
Great Environment
University Enrollment Representative (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 5, 2016
Work hard and you will go far in this company. Be sure to network with as many people as you can. Its huge company that has open doors if you know the right person.
Full time graduate student
Graduate Student (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 4, 2016
Not a full time job, however I deliberately paused my career so that I could be better prepared for future opportunities.
Pros
Learning, advancing education
Cons
No time to effectively keep a job...
Excellent Company
REGIONAL ADMISSIONS REPRESENTATIVE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 1, 2016
Grand Canyon University is an excellent place to work. The company has a great vision and the culture is phenomenal. There are challenges, however, it is nice to be able to be a part of the solution.
Great place to work for many reasons
University Development, B2B partnerships. (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAApril 25, 2016
I received exceptional on boarding. I was given autonomy to use my skills and experience w/o being micro managed. Open culture to move up or into various roles. Good compensation and great benefits. I have nothing negative to say about GCU.
Pros
TOo many
Cons
non
Numbers Based
Enrollment Counselor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 23, 2016
Corporate Sales; keep your numbers up or risk your job. Hardest part is constant calling to enroll potential students that are not even interested. They buy horrible leads that have almost no chance of converting.
Pros
Great PTO and Benefits package, Free Education
Cons
Sales, Numbers Numbers Numbers
Admissions Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 19, 2016
I love how flexible they were with my schedule, they understood that I am a full time student. The job does get a little tedious and boring, but the management is great.
Productive and motivational
Clinical Instructor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 17, 2016
Management here is wonderful, I feel productive, and there is a lot of positive feedback so I know what I'm doing right as well as where I can improve. It is a very positive work place.
Assistant Wrestling Coach (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 13, 2016
Great group of people to be around. Number one rule is to appreciate people. Working at a Christian University allowed for a great understanding of respect and value.