Grand Canyon University Employee Reviews

FANTASTIC!!!! Only left because I moved
Admissions Representative/Enrollment Counselo (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ17 October 2017
This is essentially a sales/recruitment/lead generation job. I received AMAZING training, support and incentives. The hardest part of the job is being on the phone all day, if that is not something you enjoy or are good at.
Pros
support, training, incentives, compensation
Cons
none I can think of
Unlimited professional development
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ15 October 2017
I have worked for Grand Canyon University for over three years. I love it. It was a great opportunity and I am grateful. I have learned how to be a better educator and I look forward to being of even greater service and teach in other departments.
Good contract job
Student Teaching Supervisor/ Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA13 October 2017
Enjoyable working with student teachers. Navigating online systems can be tricky at time. That said, this position is not a full-time job so I would recommend if you are looking for contract work to supplement income.
Fun workplace
Guest Service Representative (Current Employee) –  GCU Arena12 October 2017
I enjoyed working for GCU, I just was not able to get consistent hours. I enjoyed working at the basketball games and various other events so that I could make it enjoyable for any of the guests that may come.
Pros
Prime seats to basketball games
Cons
Inconsistent hours
Cutthroat Work Environment with outdated business model
University Counselor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ11 October 2017
Online division enrollment is sales in golden handcuffs. Federal regulation prevents the university from incentivizing for enrollment as in a traditional sales job, so they utilize the sales punishment model of threatening your job when you don't hit your metrics. Metrics are attainable in undergraduate and masters enrollment divisions, however international/tribal and doctoral metrics are absurd for the lead base. Management is old fashioned, distant, and not progressive enough to make changes.
Pros
Good Compensation, Benefits, and Free Tuition
Cons
Poor Management Culture, Cutthroat, High Turnover, Unstable
Positive team environment
Enrollment/University Counselor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ5 October 2017
Daily interaction with students
Learned about college enrollment process
Helpful, motivational management
Positive graduating culture
High level of fulfillment
Great Team
Online Academic Counselor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ30 September 2017
It was great to be part of a team changing peoples lives and interacting with individuals all over the country. Helping students succeed and achieve their goals was rewarding.
Pros
Great Team
Cons
Benefits had a lot of OOP
not the best
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ28 September 2017
I did not enjoy working there. I would not recommend them because of their closed nature. I think they only care about satisfying the system of belief they hold to.
Janitorial Cleaning
Janitorial Worker (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ27 September 2017
A typical day at work consisted of me doing my nightly routine of each building. Each building had a different job that consisted of mopping/sweaping, taking out the trash, and vacuuming carpet.
Perfect academic environment
University Counselor (Former Employee) –  College of Nursing and Healthcare Professionals27 September 2017
Balance of work and games, lots of meetings, initial work is really highly dependent on their incoming calls. New people only got the trash calls, people that couldn't afford an education desiring welfare checks. I got real tired of that.
Pros
Meetings
Cons
Meetings
Every place has it's strengths and weaknesses
Graduation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ25 September 2017
A typical day at work varies dependant on your role and work flow. I have learned that there will always be some who will give their best and others who will give the minimum effort required to get by. That goes for management and non management. The COE has great vision and priorities for the students, employees and the community and I find that the greatest appeal to working for the company. His drive has created a community work culture but that does not mean the said culture is carried out well by every department and management. The hardest part of the job is giving your best work ethic and watching others who lack it still move up and not duplicate the heart and purpose of the institution and the CEO. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that despite the weaker parts of the company the overall company is doing much to impact the community around them.
Pros
Health Insurance, Tuition benefits, Paid Time Off
Cons
Lack of degree gives very little opportunity to promotions
Varies by department and manager
Multiple Positions (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ24 September 2017
I really enjoy working at GCU, but it's a large university and from what I can tell it can really depend on your department and manager. The overall vibe and mission are pretty solid though, and the benefits are amazing but the pay seems to be on the lower end. The university's rapid growth lends itself to an extremely fast-paced environment that can change on a dime. Given this growth, it's a little intense/demanding at times. This can breed a "blame game"/CYA culture vs. a nurturing/collaborative environment. Also with such a fast-paced environment, one must be comfortable paving the road as it's being driven on and not getting the strongest leadership as management/leaders are often too inundated with their jobs to invest time in their people. Some find this stressful and chaotic and others find it exciting and never a dull day.
Pros
Standard benefits, tuition reimbursement, generous PTO, multiple gyms with classes
Cons
Pay, opportunities for advancement, unrealistic expectations/goals
Night and day
Curriculum Developer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ16 September 2017
Absolutely wonderful if you are a student. As an employee you are always reminded that it is your job you're not appreciated or given any kind of positive reinforcement
Pros
Generous PTO
Cons
Well below the national average for pay scale
Network Operations Analyst/Jr.Sys Admin (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ15 September 2017
Good benefits, free tuition, health care, 401k
Good management
Good workplace culture
Good discounts
Fast Growth so very busy
Good opportunity to lean and expand knowledge
Cons
Very busy due to fast growth
Good place to work, stressful though
Admissions/Sales (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ14 September 2017
The pay is pretty good, based on tenure, but it is very stressful and fast-paced, but if you love the competitive advantage, then you will be fine! The management is good but can be too hard on employees sometimes.
Pros
Lots of paid days off, opportunities to make more money each year with tenure.
Cons
Lots of things that are out of your control, that you are blamed for with regards to making your monthly quota.
Growing Company takes care of its employees
Financial Aid Processor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ12 September 2017
I really enjoyed the company, Awarded and originated Title IV loans for both traditional and non-traditional educational periods. Used multiple screens/software programs simultaneously (MS Office, CampusVue, Outlook), ensured accurate documentation, and adhered to high quality standards. Stayed ahead of changing federal regulations, and handled confidential information. they are growing in all departments except this one but the challenge and overtime were worth the stagnation. Lots of fun times team building, volunteering and gaining work experience. The more you work the more you get paid.
Pros
College Campus, varied hours, food, games, days off
Cons
overtime, lack of growth in department to match enrollment growth
Backround checks for Public Safety/Campus Police are a joke.
Public Safety/Campus Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ6 September 2017
ZERO communication between Management & Dept. staff. Anything that happens on campus that could be viewed by the public as a "negative", is quickly and magically swept under the public/media carpet. When any organization over- emphasizes that they are "Christian based", take that as a warning. If they are truly Christian, it would show, you shouldn't have to be told until you feel that message is being rammed down your throat.
Pros
Free tuition for full-time employees is what keeps most employees from leaving..
Cons
The University needs an ETHICS COMMITTEE for it"s employees
Very High-stress environment
Development (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ6 September 2017
Working at GCU involved long hours and tough goals that were sometimes impossible to meet due to factors out of my control. Actual job of working with potential students was rewarding.
Pros
Building relationships with student and community businesses/organizations
Cons
Lack of effective coaching
Relaxed atmopshere
Day Porter (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ5 September 2017
As long as you did your job, there was and easy and relaxed atmosphere. Each shift you were allowed one free meal, which was nice. They were easygoing about working around your schedule, which was especially nice for a college student (which made sense, considering the job is on a college campus).
Productive and busy with a relaxed atmosphere
Housing Operations Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ4 September 2017
This job revolved around solving housing issues that students would have while choosing their housing until school had started the following year. I answered phone calls, responded to emails, and met with students and parents if escalated. I handled financial aspects of housing, and managed audits. The most difficult aspect of this job was handling a large amount of people at the office, while answering phone calls and emails on time. The most enjoyable part was working with the coordinators and the managers. They are extremely helpful with difficult situations, and create a unique, fun atmosphere to relieve tension.
Pros
Quick teaching, helpful leadership
Cons
High tension situations, angry students and parents

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grand Canyon University. Our community is ready to answer.