Grand Canyon University Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Adjunct Professor
Adjunct Business Professor (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 19, 2015
Teach business classes online. You are paid per student enrolled and will max out on pay $240 per week once you have 13 students. You may have 25+ students, but the pay doesn't change.
Enjoyed teaching psychiatric nursing to students on the floor.
Clinical Instructor-Psychiatric Nursing (Former Employee), Clinical instructor in psychiatric nursing.June 16, 2015
Pros: Strong leadership and support.
Good place to work, balanced curriculum with strong student support. GCU offers many opportunities for students to learn.
Excellent [place to work
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 16, 2015
Pros: Good computer center
Cons: none
Very well organized University with strong teaching skills required. enjoyed working with other instructors and there was a strong partnership in learning and teaching
Fun to work and meet new people.
Utility worker (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 11, 2015
Pros: Free lunch
Cons: No breaks, but only a half hour lunch.
I would go back if they provided breaks and a lunch not only a lunch , half hour. They make you work like a slave, always watching and eyeballing their workers.
Positive Place to Work
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 9, 2015
GCU is a positive place to work. Faculty very willing to help. Opportunities to use talents and personal stories and experiences.
Room for advancement depends on who and what you are trying to do. I am part-time faculty and it is very difficult to get a full time job right now.
Loved it
Enrollment Counselor - Lead (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 1, 2015
Pros: free school, reputable school
Cons: no room to advance
free school is the best part, they have a product you can be proud of, no room for advancement and people are not paid what they are worth compared to people who are not as good at the job
Productive and fast paced environment.
Inbound Call Specialist (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 31, 2015
Productive and fast paced environment. A typical day consists of answering and routing calls with about 2-3 minutes in between.
Potential for Greatness Squandered by Poor Leadership
Military Division Enrollment Counselor (Former Employee), Phoenix ArizonaMay 28, 2015
Pros: Free education, great co-workers, and easy work environment
Cons: Horrible leadership and pushy cultural political alignment
This job was actually very easy and fun. However, the management culture at the time was very poor. Locked door meetings where management declared "No one is leaving until someone quits" - Human Resources is lead by one individual that cannot sufficiently do the job. Co-workers were pretty awesome, met some great people who are now managers.

The hardest part of the job was keeping up the tempo of being busy. The databases had old leads, but it was very easy to meet metrics. The culture was also kind of hard to get along with as the institutions president actually had a political stance and agenda.

The most enjoyable part of the job was outside opportunities for growth and development - free education, community service opportunities, and work related fun.
Good work environment, helpful and friendly colleagues and a supportive team.
Student Worker (Current Employee), Phoenix ArizonaMay 24, 2015
Grand Canyon University has been a remarkable place to work with magnificent co-workers who are always willing to help and support. A typical work day is not only professional but very relaxing as well as the working environment is cordial and friendly.
Good Place to work!!
Student Service Advising Manager (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 14, 2015
Pros: Great people and staff
Cons: Stubborn executive management
With my six years at GCU, I learned a ton and was able to advance multiple times.

I enjoyed working with students and listening to their success stories and being that GCU had a ground campus presence, it was nice to attend student graduation and meet the students who I advised and help to complete their degree.

Unfortunately, some upper management was tough to talk to at times in regards to concerns or ways to improve departments.
Productive and Fun Work Place
Athletic Event Worker (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 12, 2015
Pros: free lunches. free shirts.
Cons: short to no breaks
I would work at all the sports games. Set up and take down and work all games. We worked with the scoreboards, music, and helped with the flow of the game. We worked closely with the athletic director. The coworkers became family and the hardest part was some of the long days. The most enjoyable part was the fact that we got paid to work the sports games.
A decent place to work
University Development Representative (Former Employee), Four Corners, USAMay 11, 2015
Pros: good work life balance
Cons: too much change
I worked as a University Development Representative for GCU. The training was extensive and good. On a day to day basis, I made sales calls, followed up on various applications, set appointments for various events, and about 3 days a week I would be on the road at events and representing GCU. In my particular territory, I would often have to drive long distances (3 hours one way) to get to my events, as I worked almost exclusively on the Navajo Reservation. Often my drives would be almost entirely without cell coverage and in very remote areas on The Reservation. This is not the norm for most GCU UDR positions.

My manager was excellent. Our Director was intimidating (I'm not easily intimidated).

I did not have much interaction with my coworkers, as I worked from home and managed my own territory. However, there was a high retention rate amongst the Tribal Team staff. I felt most of the people I worked with were friendly, but could have been more helpful to the newer people on the team. They seemed mostly to care only about their own areas of responsibility and didn't take much time to help new people get up to speed or explain the bigger picture.

The hardest part of my job was trying to sell an expensive education to an impoverished population. Most GCU UDRs do not work with the various tribes - only the small Tribal team - and thus don't face the economic realities that I faced.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working from home (when not traveling) and setting my own schedule.

I recommend GCU as an employer for people who live in more populated areas. In my case, I resigned partly due to some life circumstances and partly because I didn't feel the region and population I was assigned to were a good set up for success.
Wonderful Christian beliefs, great people
Instructor (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 7, 2015
Pros: Great people, Christian values
Cons: Lower compensation range
Able to make my own hours and work with students online during their college experience. Nice people, responsive to students and staff.
Good beginner job
University Development Territory Management NW (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVMay 3, 2015
Pros: Experience
Cons: Lack of communication
Great job to work at if you planning on attending school. I gained a lot of experience off of trial and error from my own mistakes just wish the leadership was much more seasoned.
Great company to work for
P/T Summer Youth Program Coor (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 1, 2015
Pros: Great Social Interaction
Cons: Extreme heat outside
• Plans and manages youth activities
• Responsible for parental feedback daily.
• Provided quality customer service to the children.
• Provided project status update to the Travel Manager.
• Answered incoming phone calls and delivered messages in a timely manner
• Dispersed Weekly memos/Sorted Mail
• Ordered Lunches/Picked up Lunches/Ordered Coffee and Bottled Water where needed
Good School
Student Intern (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZApril 30, 2015
Pros: good choices
Cons: unsupportive
Good people. Reliable, hard working, and dedicated! Well organized and motivated to help students succeed. Quick service and responses to email and phone calls.
Great atmosphere and didn't want to leave GCU!
Grand Canyon University (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZApril 29, 2015
A typical day at work would be coming into the Arena, getting logged in and conversing with my co-workers and managers and catching up on life! The management at the Arena was top-notch! They all worked together and brought their A game everyday! Hardest part of the job was leaving because I never wanted to leave. Most enjoyable was making long lasting friendships while working there.
Productive, fun, and supportive work enviornmnet
Event Services Department - Student Worker (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZApril 27, 2015
Pros: I was able to stay in the same position throughout college career.
Cons: More work to accomplish than the allotted time.
A typical day at work was busy and productive; I learned how to coordinate events efficiently; the management was encouraging and resourceful; my fellow co-workers were supportive and positive; the hardest part of the job were the many events happening on campus and having inadequate supplies to support them; and the most enjoyable part of the job were the many opportunities growth within the job.
It is a productive and fun working environment
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZApril 24, 2015
Grand Canyon University is a good place to teach. I gained much experience while teaching there. Their professional development training is exceptional. They have quality faculty and a great working staff.
Grand Canyon University
Student-Teacher Supervisor (Former Employee), Phoenix, telecommuted from Los Angeles.April 22, 2015
Pros: Very rewarding emotionally. Fair expectations. You know exactly what you need to do.
Cons: Communication sucks. My position was eliminated by a low-level supervisor, and I had no recourse.
I worked as a Student Teacher on site Supervisor. I loved doing this job. The problem lay in the fact that you were expected to drive long distances to observe a student in their classroom assignment. The fuel costs were exorbitant! There were no "co-workers" so there was no one with whom one could go, to help work out effective practices.
One needed to go to TaskStream and evaluate the student within a short period of time, and the student was then expected to improve their practice. My students seemed to think I was pretty fair, and only one time, did this become a problem, where I was told I was assigned a student who had failed the semester before, and then my immediate supervisor told me I had contacted the student improperly. No one asked my side of the story, and then I was suddenly out of work. I was so disappointed. I loved that job, and it is a shame they were so stupid about it. I never thought I would be so casually thrown aside.
You receive a stipend per student per term. I wish it had covered my expenses better.

1 2 3 4 5

About Grand Canyon University

Since 1949, Grand Canyon University has been helping students find their purpose and achieve their potential by preparing them – Read more

Grand Canyon University Photos