Grand Canyon University

Grand Canyon University Employee Reviews

Work in a building with no windows. Over tasked and under staffed. No room for advancement. My values are not align with GCU.
Manager/Procurement (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 30, 2016
Pros
work from home one day a week
Cons
401K match, limited advancement opportunity
Disorganized
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 31, 2016
Operates with little common sense. Poor communication between departments and poor leadership from the very top. Good benefits, but it doesn't make up for poor management. If this review is connected to me, I will probably be out of a job. That is how they operate.
Productive and laid back work place!
Informational Technical/Audio Visual Assistant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 13, 2016
While working part-time and being a full time student, I found it incredibly easy to balance both! I learned how to solve problems within a whim and I was able to further my experience in customer support and IT.
Pros
Free lunch, security
Cons
Short breaks, no benefits, no paid time off, limited work hours
Great place to work with excellent educational benefits!
Student Services Advisor (Online) (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85017February 10, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the position was meeting the students and learning about their unique experiences and guiding them through their chosen program of study with the goal of meeting their expected graduation date.
Pros
Many opportunities for professional growth and excellent education benefits!
Cons
Distance to main campus from my residence.
Great student worker job
Technical Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 23, 2016
Love everything about being a student worker at GCU, however, being able to only work 20 hours a week (max) is very frustrating. Since it's only part time, there are no benefits. The only way to become a full time employee is to move up and get promoted , which would take 4+ years. Overall though, I love the work environment and how easy going the job is.
Pros
pot lucks
Cons
short breaks, 20 hours max
Toxic Work Environment
Student Services Advisor II (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZOctober 27, 2015
The work environment with GCU is incredibly toxic and after time you will start to feel the life being sucked out of you. Coworkers and even mangers will talk bad about you behind your back, but act like you are best friends to your face. You have to be careful who you vent to when you are having a bad day, because anything you say will get management and WILL come back to bite you. The only people that get promoted or get any type of privilege are members of the "good ole boy club". The only good thing I can say about GCU was the pay, which is the reason why so many people actually do stay there, because the pay and benefits are really good. Choosing between mental well being and pay, shouldn't have to be choice. I caution everyone that considers a job at GCU, it doesn't matter how hard of a worker you are and how good you are at your job it is how good of friends you are with your supervisor and your director. You will never get anywhere in that company unless you are a member of the GCU good ole boy club.
Pros
Pay/Benefits
Cons
Management, work environment
Recruiting Tactics
University Development Rep (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 21, 2015
GCU is a pretty school and is impressive in its academics and athletics.
They offer more than most schools to do this job and they have good benefits.
The problem:
The recruiting tactics of military students is sketchy at best. The idea that their development reps must meet a quota that demands student enrollment, regardless of the time of year/level of the student, is frightening and stressful! For example, apply online right now to GCU and you will be accepted. You will then receive pushy enrollment and development rep phone calls trying to hard sell you into school. Its because each rep has to get you into school any way they can or be slapped with a CAP. Its high stress, high push sales. If you can balance the 60+ hours this may be a job for you.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Hard Sells
Too Many Politics
SENIOR ENROLLMENT COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 2, 2016
I had more managerial experience, than the person who was hired instead of me. The clincher was the personal favoratism from the hiring manager. Caused me to have panic and anxiety attacks and eventually forfeit my position
Pros
good salary
Cons
Managers hired based on personality preferences rather than qualifications
No Job Security
Enrollment Counselor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 6, 2016
Enrollment Counselors have a tough gig. You could be the best on your team one month, then get put on probation the next. You get promoted based on who you know, it's like a popularity contest.
Pros
Good Salary
Cons
Poor Management
Engaging environment for administrative individuals
Teacher Placement Specialist - Northeast (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZSeptember 28, 2015
Organization is well founded in a Christian leadership perspective.
Leadership structure has less tiers than similar institutions of higher education, but manages to remain effective at providing opportunities for growth and professional development.
Great benefits beyond standard health and wellness plans, including a very active, youthful environment due to the campus affiliations.
Pros
Entertainment and benefit access
Cons
Can be difficult for those that prefer separation of religion and employment
Marketing Department - Horrible Culture
Marketing Specialist lll (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 26, 2016
Worked on the marketing team. I was brought in as a Marketing Specialist lll (What they now call a Marketing Content & SEO Specialist) and the job turned out to be nothing what they had described in the interview process. The roll consists of loading content into their website, that's about it. The real SEO work is outsourced. Management controls every and all decisions and leaves little to no room for helpful suggestions from those beneath them. It's best to just say what you know they want to hear. The marketing environment is extremely political and there is a lack of trust between each division within the marketing environment. If you enjoy easy work, than this may be the place for you. If you're looking to grow skills, work with a team you can trust, and don't want to play dirty political games to move up, this is not the place for you.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Culture, lack of skill growth, plitics, management
Ok place during recession, not very competitive today
Enrollment Counselor/Student Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 25, 2015
GCU keeps losing really great employees because the pay starts really low compared to other schools and the max raise you can get is 4% per year, which barely keeps up with inflation. No rhyme or reason why some people get promoted while others are overlooked. It comes down to knowing the right people and playing the politics game more than doing a great job and simply being the most qualified which then frustrates some employees if they get a manager who shouldn't have gotten the job.
How happy you are depends on who you get as a manager. I've had lots of managers due to the plenty reorganizations that happen and some are amazing and care about their team, others are clowns and no one knows how they're still employed. Culture varies on the team or superteam.
Not very female friendly though I've heard of worse. Follows basic laws regarding hiring females and maternity; there's a small handful of females in leadership compared with the number of men. GCU gives 12 weeks off for unpaid maternity and a pump room. Refused to create maternity parking despite many submitting the request and no other reasonable accommodations are made either.
Pros
Christian university fosters spirituality in the culture
Cons
not competitive pay, slow upward mobility
Challenging and Encouraging Work Environment
Junior Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 4, 2016
A typical day at work would involve calling interested GCU students and helping them in the admissions process. Every student would be different but whenever I would run into any difficult situations, I could always ask my bosses or co-workers and they always were happy to help me. I absolutely loved management and my co-workers. The most enjoyable part of my job was succeeding at my job and building relationships in the office with my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was when you did everything you could to succeed but the numbers simply didn't show it.
Pros
Great management and great culture
Good fast paced environment with friendly staff
Lopes Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 27, 2016
This was a computer-based job and it entailed having daily tasks to be done for recruitment a enrollment counselors to present their interested students with proper information. I learned how to navigate through a computer very well and juggle many tasks, including microsoft excel. I also learned how a fast-paced environment that is computer based works. My management was very friendly and knowledgeable, as were my coworkers. The hardest part of the job was getting into the flow of work there, it is a type of job that you have to encounter many different situations to learn because every scenario you are working on is different. They were very flexible with hours, which was great being a full-time student at the time as well.
Pros
great scheduling
Cons
short to no breaks
Good environment, good culture
Student Services (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 24, 2016
Grand Canyon University is a good place to work. They take care of their employees with work from home opportunity, alternate shift opportunity, many days off for vacation, and even half days occasionally, just because. Most of the base level managers don't know how to train their employees or hold them accountable. Training for those managers is poor so they can't be blamed too much for not knowing how to manage. They give way too much room to those employees who don't feel like working and the manager gets frustrated that the employees aren't doing what they are supposed to. Those who do work hard get rewarded by staying under the radar and having more freedom. Advancement opportunity is poor unless you already know someone.
Great Place to Work with Terrific Benefits
Student Services Advisor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 15, 2016
The organization has maintained steady growth throughout my tenure. Expect to manage approximately 240 student accounts and to multi-task to remain proficient in performance metrics (the ability to multi-task is a requisite for success in this position). The work-life balance is pretty good, with more than 15 days of paid-time off, free tickets for basketball games and campus events (most times), and excellent support from your managerial team with a pretty good level of tolerance and flexibility. Perform well and additional "job of choice" options become available such as "work from home" and shift differentials.
Education
Business Development Representative (Current Employee) –  ArizonaJune 6, 2016
GCU is a good christian school with impressive academics and athletics.

Benefits are great with opportunity for free education and work environment is hit or miss depending on several factors which affect most companies.

More hands-on training is needed to ensure lasting success of employees. Politics are probably the same as other companies also, so either you will like it or not depending on who you are and your personal values and ethics.
Pros
Free education, great co-workers, and Christian campus atmosphere
Cons
Sales Environment
Flexibility and Enjoyable
Ticket Service Member (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 8, 2016
As a student worker this is the best job in my opinion in the University. As a ticket service representative we can from handle money to handle customers. The managers and co-workers are the best, we all work good together. Most days are regular business day that we help customers over the phone or in person depending if their is school in session. The buisiest days are event days and those can be hectict but are berable with the co-workers.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Some events may seem long
Like any job, it's all about production
Online enrollment counselor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 19, 2016
Online enrollment is an inside sales job, plain and simple. Some managers admit that, some don't, so continued training can vary. Numbers are down over the past couple of years, and their response is to micromanage. Pay isn't bad at first, and if you make it 2 years you get a nice salary bump. Benefits are great (school for you and your family is pretty much free), and the culture is pretty relaxed, aside from the micromanaging.
Pros
Benefits, pay, corp atmosphere
Cons
Micromanaging, a 'what have you done for me lately' treatment
Great Company
Finance and Academic Adviser II (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 22, 2015
I like GCU, tough work environment. I enjoy the benefits and the time off. GCU can be a great place to work, with the right fit.