Grand Canyon University Employee Reviews

Challenging and satisfying work and lifelong friendships.
Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ8 March 2017
Excellent place to work, management is helpful and co-workers were pleasant and helpful. Support staff was also very qualified and helpful.

Typical day was 100-120 outbound calls, 20-30 inbound calls, extensive student prep, counseling, coaching, problem solving, assessment, financial aid assistance, and academic advisement.

Learned a lot about higher education and the subject matter that we presented to students. Learned how to organize and implement on a consistent basis with a high degree of customer service and error free work.

Upbeat and enthusiastic culture

Hardest part of the job is that it is not intellectually challenging as interactions with students are regulated, so the biggest challenge is to keep interested and on pace.

Student success and interface with faculty and management.
Pros
Flex Schedule and Work From Home benefits
Cons
Within Enrollment there is little room for advancement within the department.
Phone job for sure, if you meet your numbers you are left alone, but if you dont meet your numbers even for a month, they put the fear in you.
Enrollment Counselor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ27 February 2017
Typical day is reaching out to potential students who have either inquired online from a banner ad on the web, or have called into the 800 line. If the student decided to enroll after I explained the benefits of the program, then I would help them through the application process as well as financial aid and helping them navigate through the online classroom.
High overturn in management; New manager assigned to our team of 12 about every 9 months.
Hardest part was the pressure of getting your "quota" of new enrollments every month, you could exceed your quota month one, but if you fell short within the next couple of months, there was a threat of being on a corrective action plan (CAP).
Most enjoyable...is my coworkers were pretty cool, and we had a lot of potlucks. I made a lot of friends and also great connections in the industry.
Can be a good company based on leadership
Enrollment Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ16 February 2017
Grand Canyon has a great mission lots of good people but it however has too many old school uop individuals who ciuldnt get it done there but instead of learning doing same thing at GCU. If you have a good manager you will get
Opportunity however it definitely is a god ole boys network and if you dont have a personal relationship who will see the glass ceiling. New pay structure seems good but in reality isnt. It takes advantage of turnover. To make 70k need to be there almost 4 years. Also before you could get yor education for free and that is no longer after paying taxes books etc you almost pay the same as the students. You also can only get one degree paid for where as before was unlimited. Good for someone where call center exp is needed and a discounted degree but for career minded people not a good fit.
Pros
Experience, good people
Cons
Ethics, pay, inexperienced management, glass ceiling
Great Culture
Senior Enrollment Advisor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ6 January 2017
great place to work should be more opportunities for advancement management needs to be be more in touch with cultural diversity in order to deal with individuals from different backgrounds.
Pros
great culture lots of fun
Cons
low pay
Marketing Department - Horrible Culture
Marketing Specialist lll (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ26 July 2016
Worked on the marketing team. I was brought in as a Marketing Specialist lll (What they now call a Marketing Content & SEO Specialist) and the job turned out to be nothing what they had described in the interview process. The roll consists of loading content into their website, that's about it. The real SEO work is outsourced. Management controls every and all decisions and leaves little to no room for helpful suggestions from those beneath them. It's best to just say what you know they want to hear. The marketing environment is extremely political and there is a lack of trust between each division within the marketing environment. If you enjoy easy work, than this may be the place for you. If you're looking to grow skills, work with a team you can trust, and don't want to play dirty political games to move up, this is not the place for you.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Culture, lack of skill growth, plitics, management
Great job!
Full Time Faculty (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ6 December 2016
Great job culture and room for advancement. Supportive of self-improvement and keeping a good work-life balance. Great benefits and flexibility. Great!
Great company culture and place to work.
University Development Representative (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA4 December 2016
Great company to work for. Management always trying to improve work/life balance. Excellent benefits and the pay is higher than any other college in the state.
Benefits
Cons
Micro management
Decent work environment with great executive level leadership. Doctoral has lost their way.
Qualifying Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ28 February 2017
Good company to work for over all but stay away from the Doctoral division if considering for employment. Upper level management for the College of Doctoral Studies seems to have lost their way over the years. Great culture between employees and outside of a few lemons, employees are treated well by management.
Great Job
Student Services Counselor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ7 November 2016
I love the culture and the environment that I work in. I am looking for advancement opportunities. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help students earn their degrees and the support of management to help employees reach their desired goals.
Needs more oppertunity for growth within the orginization
University Counselor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ20 January 2017
Call center environment, lacking in personal growth and development opportunities. Management is often outsourced from other universities thus leaving minimal internal growth.
Pros
Free Education
Cons
Lack of advancement oppertunities
Challenging and Encouraging Work Environment
Junior Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ4 September 2016
A typical day at work would involve calling interested GCU students and helping them in the admissions process. Every student would be different but whenever I would run into any difficult situations, I could always ask my bosses or co-workers and they always were happy to help me. I absolutely loved management and my co-workers. The most enjoyable part of my job was succeeding at my job and building relationships in the office with my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was when you did everything you could to succeed but the numbers simply didn't show it.
Pros
Great management and great culture
Busy, fun workplace.
Instructional Developer/ Designer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ3 March 2017
Nice place to work loved the culture but was a long drive for me in grueling traffic about a hour and a half one way each day and evening.
Pros
Free or almost free education for your kids, spouse and yourself
Cons
Too far of a drive in heavy traffic takes away from work/life balance.
Appropriate and fitting to school schedule, Kind environment, Helpful resource
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ27 February 2017
A classic day at Grand Canyon University is characterized by its peaceful vibes and strong sense of teamwork. I am a current recipient of the (SIS) scholarship, my role at the Learning lounge is to help all the tutors in anything needed with the High school kids. It is a very organized process and enjoyable. Something that can be present its self as a difficultly at work could be the time management for me as teen with tremendous amount of homework. Although the advantage of being at the learning lounge they are very helpful and kind, putting my education first, as a great understanding as well as outstanding institution.
Pros
Good flexibility with my schedule.
Grand Canyon University
ENROLLMENT COUNSELOR LEADER (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ27 October 2016
There is room for career development and growth, management is consistently aiding and training towards employee successes, great work/life balance.
Fun, Structured Workplace with Ample Learning Opportunity
Promotions Team Member and Lead (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ12 February 2017
GCU has been an excellent company to work for. One great thing about working here has been that I am a student first, worker second. Balancing a full-time student work load and a job is challenging. GCU, however, makes it easier. The promotions team is a fun, tight-knit team to be on. We get to spend a lot of time casually hanging out with high school students. On the other hand, we also get to work very professional events, some even for the CEO. Overall, I have learned so much from this job. Without this job, I wouldn't know as much as I do about teamwork, marketing, event planning, and leadership.
Pros
Free food/gear
Cons
Inconsistency
Productive and Inspiring Workplace
Operations Support Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ20 March 2017
Working at Grand Canyon University(GCU) for almost 7 years has taught me a multitude of skills. I have had the ability to make great relationships and partnerships throughout the entire University and enjoyed the positive attitude and passion of those I worked with. The most difficult part of this job was the long 3 1/2 hour commute into west Phoenix, which was a recent change from the Tempe location where I worked most of my time at GCU. I enjoyed all the community interaction, involvements, and the passion for change the University so often expressed.
Pros
Passionate employee, excellent benefits
Cons
Long commute
Becoming like U of Phx
Student Services (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ26 October 2016
Losing sight of their "Christian Heritage". No accountability for leadership not acting like leaders. No accountability for people who don't produce. Beautiful campus... terrible area of Phoenix. A lot of opportunity, but if you are looking for servant leadership you will not find it here. They are all about numbers... grow grow grow.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Location, management, senior leadership
Not People Centric
Manager (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZ29 November 2016
This place is all profits over their people that got them there. Yes they have saturated the market for advertising that does not make them a good place to work just amazing at marketing their brand.
Pros
you can get your degree for free
Cons
poor pay, expspensive health benefits, horrible management and HR is lousy at best
Legal slavery
Enrollment Counselor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ29 December 2016
There was a total disregard for employees. It was a high pressure sales culture, with no concern for the employees. Management only saw numbers and did not care about their employees.
Pros
Free education
Cons
High pressure sales with numbers orientation
Great work environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ5 December 2016
Great people to work with and get more experience. There is a lot of people that are will to help. Not to good of pay for the labor. Benefits wild be a good plus. Management very knowledgeable.
Pros
Free food, free parking, great employees
Cons
No benefits