Grand & Toy Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
It was a great place to work while it lasted.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 26, 2016
Unfortunately Grand & Toy has shut down all retail stores.
Typical work day included helping customers, following direction from head office, counting inventory.
Loss Prevention Manager (Canada) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 3, 2015
Pros: Friendly work environment
Cons: Lots of travel
A nice intimate company. My first National position with multiple high volume locations. Got to work with people all across Canada and the US.
Enjoyed my print and promotional buying at Grand and Toy
National Print and Promotional Buyer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 26, 2015
Worked in a third party/broker model, procuring print and promotional goods for Canadian customers. Was busy, fun and enjoyable.
Can advance within the company with hard work
KAMA & FAMA (Former Employee), Vaughan, ONNovember 16, 2015
Work ethic is acknowledged with growth opportunity. Sometimes management was not fully understanding of the roles they were supervising, however this is made up for by a great team and the ability to transition within the company.
Family oriented company
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 20, 2015
Pros: Potlucks, games, prizes.
Cons: Management shuffling
Grand & Toy is a very family oriented business with a more then fair salary and flexible schedule to accommodate your lifestyle. Due to unforeseen circumstances, Grand & Toy had to shut down their call center.
Amazing work environment and positive atmosphere
Product Support Specialist & Custom Stamps (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 19, 2015
Pros: Coworkers, free lunches, vendor presentations, discounts, always busy, team environment
Cons: Lack of proper management, not much space for advancement
Grand & Toy was an amazing place to work.

The fast pace environment really helped me become organized and detail oriented. From answering phone calls to replying to endless emails, there was always something to do.

The management at Grand & Toy was unfortunately over tasked. Having so much to do in a day did not allow them to manage the work area as effectively as they could have.

The most difficult part about this job was maintaining customer sanctification as a product specialist. My job was to purchase items from other suppliers for our clients because we didn't have it in stock for them. The struggle to find the correct item that met all the customers needs was very difficult but extremely rewarding. Even though this was the hardest part, I also consider it the most enjoyable. There's something about a challenge that really helps me step it up. It was great to have a customer tell me that I did a great job and got them exactly what they were looking for.

Although it was a tough job, I also consider it one of the best places to work. It helped me become the professional I am today.
Good Environment
Account Manager (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 17, 2015
Pros: Good atmosphere
Working with the sales support team, the Sales Support Assistant provides tactical support to the Business Solutions Advisors (BSAs) by assisting in development of pre and post sales support materials and resources, required to enable “The G&T Way of Selling”.

I also was acting as a key contact for our qualified “Complex Accounts”. This may include providing day to day service for Customer requirements, which fall outside the capabilities of our Customer Care Centre.
Worst run company I've ever even heard of. Seriously.
Delivery Driver and Furniture Installer (Former Employee), North Bay, ONApril 26, 2015
Pros: My severance didn't bounce.
Cons: Merry Christmas, you are all fired.
I may be biased against G&T because they laid off everyone at our store 2 weeks before Christmas, I was there 15 years, others many more years. Actually I don't want to spend another second thinking about the place, sorry to have wasted your time. Bye.
A Fun Workplace with Hard Working Individuals
Product Support Representative (Current Employee), Ottawa, OnApril 2, 2015
Pros: Fun Activities, great co-workers, great hours and benefits
Cons: No room for advancement
A typical work day at Grand & Toy is relaxed but serious and professional. We are introduced to new technologies, programs and systems every month to keep us learning and adapting to new situations. The individuals I have the pleasure of working with are very resourceful and are always willing to work as a team and Management offers us the structure and the tools we need to succeed at our job.
Management have made it a big part of our employment with Grand & Toy to come up with fun ideas and activities for the employees to enjoy while offering an unmatched professionalism towards our clients.
Family Orienated
National Inside Account Manager - Healthcare (Current Employee), Ottawa East, ONFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: variety of advancement options
The work environment is similar to a family; everyone working together towards a common goal. Even at times, conflicts may arise, but are always put aside for the good of the company and personal development.
Fun
Customer service representative (Former Employee), Edmonton,ABJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: long hours
Already wrote a review, for you guys. must be there somewhere.. but it was a good job at my age to be learning new things.
Supportive workplace
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: no longer in business
Grand & Toy was a very enjoyable work environment of which I had the pleasure of working at for over 13 years. I started by working in their warehouse as an order filler in 1998 and by 2005 I had moved up to the position of sales assistant. The knowledge that I had acquired from working as an order filler came in very useful at the time when I began working as a KAMA (Key Accounts Managers Assistant). These were the very customers who had ordered the products that I used to pick pack for them.
winnipeg branch in Seel
picker (Former Employee), winnipeg,mb Seel Ave LocationJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: few good employees you work with
Cons: everything you can think of
This job is the worse place I've worked at...favoritism amongs other staff members..not fulltime cuts your hrs. Your shift can be as little as 3hrs..4 ..lucky if you get a full 8hrs shift. In charge lady decides meetings while employees are on break time. Also talks down to staff and treats like kids...
this place is a joke
great work place with a good project to be a part of
Contractor- Google Mail Migration Project (Former Employee), Vancouver BCNovember 26, 2014
entering data into excel sheets for a migration from outlook to google mail.
This was a contract job so it was only for 2 months.
My co-workers were great we were connected at all times via e-mail and video conferencing.
The hardest part of the job was making sure that all information was matched properly on the final project.
Most enjoyable part were all the great people I got to work with and meet.
Fun friendly work environment
Key Account Manager Assistant (Former Employee), Vaughan, ONNovember 3, 2014
I loved working at Grand & Toy. I loved the daily interaction with my customers. I enjoyed assisting them with there daily needs ensuring that they had all the tools they required to be successful in there jobs. I enjoyed interacting with my co workers as they were all helpful and friendly. Many I considered a second family.
look elsewhere
distribution (Former Employee), Calgary distributionAugust 5, 2014
Pros: clean
Cons: management
If you can keep your mouth shut and go about your day, this is the place for you. Poor ownership of policies and errors.
Exceptional opportunity to work for this company
Sales Coordinator, CSR & Key Accounts (Former Employee), London, ONJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: enviroment, home/ life balance, co workers
Cons: company was sold and culture was shifted and then london branch was closed
Was well trained and encouraged to work together and seek training opportunities.
Met and worked with some brilliant people over the 17 years. coming to work was something to look forward to, Company new how to look after there employees and customers.
Interesting, fun and new changelles everyday.
Credit Analyst (Former Employee), Woodbridge, onSeptember 11, 2013
Pros: dress down every fridays!
Cons: department moved to the us.
The day starts of busy and remains throughout the day, however being a credit analyst at G&T I learned new things everyday.
Reviewing credit reports for businesses and/or individuals was always very interesting considering there is always new and different information that arises with every applicant. This was certainly an exciting work place and position. Co-workers were like family, close, helpful and positive. In the management area there were a few changes but always pleasant to deal with.
No direction
Account Executive (Former Employee), AlbertaMarch 25, 2013
Pros: no pros
Cons: read above
No work space to work in. Micromanaged. No communication with retail. No direction. Managers at head office did not know how to train. Price point was too high. The competition like Staples is much lower and better products. No room for advancement. No support team. Furniture was outdated.
a step back in my career
former manager at Head Office (Former Employee), toronto onJanuary 29, 2013
Pros: a lot of free time
Cons: lack of leadership
worst place to ever work. the most inefficient network and ERP system in the world. it is no wonder why sales have been declining year over year. the future is chapter 11 BANKRUPTCY protection in 3-6 years

ps. i did not get fired, i moved on after years of frustration and trying to 'move the needle'