Grainger Employee Reviews

Good place to gain experience - tough corporation to have a life and career
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Canada11 August 2016
Process Heaviness
Inflexible to changing market and customer needs
Organization believes they understand the customer, when they really only understand the very surface of the customers needs.

This is a good place for someone to gain experience, however the workload is very heavy, and the organization has a 'what have you done for me now' perspective.

Lack of respect for personal hardship.....critically sick employee was treated as if they were faking their illness.
Pros
Slightly above average compensation
Cons
Long hours, after hours, business is rigid.
Shareholders is all that counts
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario5 November 2016
This company cares only about keeping the shareholders happy!

No regard for the workload that employees are expected to carry out.

Middle management keeps all of the negative issues buried and is only concerned with their own image and advancement.

Upper management is oblivious to what is really going on!

Bottom line, the company could care less about meeting the customer's needs.
Pros
Fewer and fewer
Cons
Huge disconnect between management and reality
Supervisor-Warehouse (Current Employee) –  AB27 December 2016
Good work/life balance. Computer system change has helped in some areas but has cause uncertainty about job secutrity in some areas.
Productive and fun, also stressful times as well
Central File Maintenance Control Desk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 February 2017
Our team was very productive, worked hard, got along with one another, enjoyed each others company, as well as having great fun. We acknowledged each others work as well as helping each other when needed. My manager was awesome to work for. The hardest part of my job was the many fields that needed to be updated to see the final result.
Pros
Going out for lunch on company time.
Cons
was very stressful at times
Perfect Balance of Work and Fun While Meeting Goals.
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Lac La Biche, AB6 January 2017
Shipping Receiving, Order picking, Inventory management, customer service. As long as the job was getting done on time and safely it was ok to have fun while doing it.
Pros
Company dinners, Northern Living Allowance.
Cons
Enjoy my work, too much change and uncertainty
Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 January 2017
In the 2 years I have been there they have made so many changes and removed so many long term employees it doesn't make me feel like this is a place you can have a long term career. Especially if you are located in western Canada.
Acklands is going downhill
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ON4 January 2017
Morale is horrible, laying off people all over the place and closing branches. Constantly telling staff closures and re-structures are completed and then more come. Unstable - management doesn't know how to support staff... I would imagine it to be similar to working in a zoo lol
Canada's largest industrial supplier, nearly 3,000 employees
Manager (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON13 June 2016
AGI is going through lots of change to decrease their reliance on the oil and gas sector. I had 2 managers during my time and a couple different roles. AGI can be a good place to work, depending on your department. They have invested heavily in SAP recently. Like any large company, you have good people and bad people.
Pros
Some good people, new head office, good work/life balance
Cons
Little career path outside of sales, constantly changing senior leadership, HR policies need an update to 2016
Good work atmosphere
CMS Content Assistant - English (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 April 2016
Colleagues are very nice as well as the boss. Benefits and salary are great. But demands of the job can be overwhelming. There are many late nights at work especially when there are deadlines to meet.
good place to work
Inside sales service representative (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC5 April 2016
great staff and benefits and salary I had many jobs from sales and warehouse support tech services building maintenance and much more
Pros
good pay and time off
Cons
can some times be high stress
Good place to work and easy co workers
Lead the way (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 January 2017
Co workers and most staff easy to work with. Work was easy to adapt to and most days were busy and workable. Most enjoyable part of the job were the day to day relationships with co workers.
Pros
Had opportunities to plan and execute large gatherings
Cons
May have pursued more training.
Great for entry-level opportunity and job advancement
Warehouse Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK31 May 2016
Excellent job advancement, wages could always be a little better, management needs some improvement. Generally you come into work, and you are busy all day. Overtime is offered during the productive summer season season. I personally love the people I worked with, and they all assisted me with questions I had.
Pros
Paid holidays, employee engagement surveys, end of the month lunches.
Cons
Exceedingly high expectations, small room for error
it was great
Counter Attendant (Former Employee) –  Mount Pearl, NL22 February 2017
the people are so friendly and help you if you need it. they take you under their wing and make sure you understand the things that are going on in the work place.
Pros
Amazing people
Cons
Late nights
loved my job and all the different functions that were involved
Clerical Support Clerk, Inbound (Former Employee) –  Richmod HILL28 February 2016
for the most part great group of co-workers.
loved all the functions that were involved in the daily running of the receiving dept
Pros
loved what I did
Cons
salary
great work atmosphere, Monday to Friday work days
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 February 2015
I worked for Acklands Grainger in the warehouse where i picked orders for delivery to our customers. The team i worked with was great, positive and helpful. The supervisors were nice to talk with and open door policy, which made it comfortable to be able to talk with them if needed.
I learned alot about working in a warehouse and the standards they had for the company
I ended up leaving the job to go back to Norquest for schooling but, unfortunatly the funding that was to be in place through the government of alberta was pulled from the Licensed Practical Nurse certificate program and was unable to attend.
I know that working in the warehouse was great hoping to find another company like Acklands to work for this year.
Pros
benefits, Monday to Friday work week, co-workers and management great to work with.
Cons
when days were slow, love to have lots to do!
challenging but produtive place to work
Logistics Support Lead (Former Employee) –  Trail BC24 September 2012
Work starts the moment I walk in the door & it is a contant flow the entire day through.
I have learned a lot about the industrial & safety industry & accounting procedures
The management team is always concernred with the the staff & always willing to listen to any problems or ideas for change
My co-workers make up a team & we are like family
& challenge each other to make changes for the better of the company & our work environment
The most difficult part of the job is being short staffed which results in more physical/heavy lifting for me since I also over see & manage the warehouse staff
It makes me smile to have a customer leave with a smile or to end a phone conversion with words like great talking to you.
Pros
pension matching & benefits
Cons
salary increases are very low
The best workplace I ever worked in so far
EDI Analyst and Developer (Current Employee) –  Lake Forest, IL7 September 2016
This is the best place I ever worked in so far. The people are very nice, kind, and professional at the same time.
The load of work is kind of high since it's a very big company, but managers are very helpful and very knowledgeable of their job to the point of making everybody like what they do.
Good Company, Lots of great people.
Full-Time ISSR (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC29 August 2016
This is a good place to work. The work is interesting, and challenging all at the same time. Lots of exposure to new, weird and wonderful customers, products, experiences and situations. The people around you for the most part are awesome at what they do and are willing to help you get to where you'd like to go.
one of the best companies i've ever worked for the people were like a second family
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 November 2015
I loved working at this job unfortunately times got bad husband got laid off and had to make a move but if the opportunity rised again I would love to work for them again.
Pros
employee benifits, pension plan and work incentives
Cons
dusty
Great Company to work for!
Team Lead - Contract Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON27 July 2016
A typical day at work is exactly that, a typical day, but with a bit of fun thrown in.
I have learnt a lot, and was allowed to take on projects outside of the scope of my normal work.
My direct manager was great, and so too were the higher ups, no real complaints.
Most enjoyable part were the outings, of course! Who doesn't love a good barbeque!

73%