Grainger Employee Reviews

Good place to gain experience - tough corporation to have a life and career
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  CanadaAugust 11, 2016
Process Heaviness
Inflexible to changing market and customer needs
Organization believes they understand the customer, when they really only understand the very surface of the customers needs.

This is a good place for someone to gain experience, however the workload is very heavy, and the organization has a 'what have you done for me now' perspective.

Lack of respect for personal hardship.....critically sick employee was treated as if they were faking their illness.
Pros
Slightly above average compensation
Cons
Long hours, after hours, business is rigid.
Canada's largest industrial supplier, nearly 3,000 employees
Manager (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJune 13, 2016
AGI is going through lots of change to decrease their reliance on the oil and gas sector. I had 2 managers during my time and a couple different roles. AGI can be a good place to work, depending on your department. They have invested heavily in SAP recently. Like any large company, you have good people and bad people.
Pros
Some good people, new head office, good work/life balance
Cons
Little career path outside of sales, constantly changing senior leadership, HR policies need an update to 2016
Great Company to work for!
Team Lead - Contract Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONJuly 27, 2016
A typical day at work is exactly that, a typical day, but with a bit of fun thrown in.
I have learnt a lot, and was allowed to take on projects outside of the scope of my normal work.
My direct manager was great, and so too were the higher ups, no real complaints.
Most enjoyable part were the outings, of course! Who doesn't love a good barbeque!
Great for entry-level opportunity and job advancement
Warehouse Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMay 31, 2016
Excellent job advancement, wages could always be a little better, management needs some improvement. Generally you come into work, and you are busy all day. Overtime is offered during the productive summer season season. I personally love the people I worked with, and they all assisted me with questions I had.
Pros
Paid holidays, employee engagement surveys, end of the month lunches.
Cons
Exceedingly high expectations, small room for error
The best workplace I ever worked in so far
EDI Analyst and Developer (Current Employee) –  Lake Forest, ILSeptember 7, 2016
This is the best place I ever worked in so far. The people are very nice, kind, and professional at the same time.
The load of work is kind of high since it's a very big company, but managers are very helpful and very knowledgeable of their job to the point of making everybody like what they do.
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 23, 2016
If you are on the sales side of the business you can get away with pretty much anything, as long as you preform and don't anger the wrong people. The ops side of the business does a lot of the heavy lifting and get beaten like a rented mule most of the time. however it is still a great place to work the people are great it is like one big family.
Pros
good people
Cons
lack managment with the will ask questions and fight for what is right
Horrible management with no regard for worker health and safety
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 19, 2016
Lots of talk from Management but no action. Each day is all about hitting the manager's numbers.
Managers say all kinds of clichés about "teamwork" and "safety",
then go close the door to their offices and let everyone figure it out for themselves. If you don't hit your numbers YOU ARE FIRED!
Pros
Cons
Unsafe work environment
Good company for people with family
Senior Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONJune 14, 2016
Acklands Grainger used to be an typical Canadian company. People usually stay here for quite longer time. There are significant changes after recently SAP project.
Don't know what they want to be
Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 16, 2016
Too much change and trying to execute too many projects at once and can't get traction with the projects that matter. Good experience but i would recommend anyone work for this company.
Fast paced, busy company to work for
On Site Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BCJune 8, 2016
Room for advancement within the company. Very fast paced, visit various sites on a day to day basis to provide various industrial and safety products.
Good work atmosphere
CMS Content Assistant - English (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 28, 2016
Colleagues are very nice as well as the boss. Benefits and salary are great. But demands of the job can be overwhelming. There are many late nights at work especially when there are deadlines to meet.
a good starting point for young people
Inside sales service representative (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCApril 22, 2016
a great place for young people to get a start in a retail sales career with good management teams in place to help get them started is room for advancement at ct
good place to work
Inside sales service representative (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCApril 5, 2016
great staff and benefits and salary I had many jobs from sales and warehouse support tech services building maintenance and much more
Pros
good pay and time off
Cons
can some times be high stress
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Hinton, ABJuly 14, 2016
everyone is friendly great place to work. great hours and reasonable pay for position. would recommend anyone to wor here
loved my job and all the different functions that were involved
Clerical Support Clerk, Inbound (Former Employee) –  Richmod HILLFebruary 28, 2016
for the most part great group of co-workers.
loved all the functions that were involved in the daily running of the receiving dept
Pros
loved what I did
Cons
salary
productive and supportive work environment
Inside Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Concord, ONDecember 28, 2015
Great people to work with. Management is very supportive and they help you grow within the organization. Well stablished company 100% recommended
Pros
Great work environment, supportive management team
Cons
a lot of changes going on right now with executive team and company's policies
Excellent employeur
Représentant vente et service externe (Current Employee) –  Quebec City, QCNovember 28, 2015
Tres bonne école pour la vente et le service a la clientèle.

Très stressant comme emploi, et demande une bonne mémoire.

Les journées se suivent mais ne ressemblent pas. On ne sait jamais comment la journée va tournée.

Excellents collègues de travail, nous formont une grande famille.
Pros
Horaire fixe de 8 a 5
Cons
Stressant
BUSY PLACE TO WORK
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 16, 2015
*GOOD PLACE TO WORK AT ,SAFETY,RESPECT.CARING VERY ORIENTED ENVIROMENT.
*SOMETIMES YOU HAVE MORE HEAVY ORDERS TO PICK
*LEARNED HOW TO OPERATE WAVE
*MANAGEMENT WAS PERFECT AND CARING VERY RESPONSIVE TO ALL YOUR REQUEST
*MOST HARDEST IS WHEN PICKING RUSH ORDERS SINCE IS ON TIMELY MANNER
*WHEN AM ABLE TO FINISHED MY ORDER ON TIME
Pros
FREE COFFEE
Cons
LONG HOURS
Fun, fast pased workplace with an awesome team.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONOctober 25, 2015
My typical work day started at 7:30 am, jumping right in to receive the order and allocate the work that needed to be done that day. Around 8, after the entire team was in the building, we would have our daily morning meetings, a chance to discus the previous days work and what needs to be done, usually over coffee that was provided to us for free. Then off to the races! Management was good and never really came to the warehouse to bother us. Co workers were all awesome and a pleasure to work with. The hardest part of the job was...keeping cool in the summertime. The most enjoyable part of the job was the environment. Close nit team, everyone did they're job and wasn't afraid to ask if I or they needed help with something.
Pros
No work on the weekends
Cons
Sometimes there was not enough employees.
one of the best companies i've ever worked for the people were like a second family
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 16, 2015
I loved working at this job unfortunately times got bad husband got laid off and had to make a move but if the opportunity rised again I would love to work for them again.
Pros
employee benifits, pension plan and work incentives
Cons
dusty