Grain Farmers of Ontario is seeking a highly motivated individual to play an important role in developing and leading a proactive government affairs program to raise awareness of GFO amongst its members and government entities. The Government Relations Manager will lead and manage the activities and provide strategic support and issues management advice to GFO as it pertains to government.
This position will report to the CEO of Grain Farmers of Ontario.
- Implement strategic goals or plans in a cost-effective manner
- Be a representative on committees as required
- Identify, brief and advise the organization on key government affairs issues and opportunities
- Analyze and consolidate information collected from various sources (government policies, reports and industry publications) in order to keep the Grain Farmers of Ontario’s government relations relevant
- Work with the communications team members to help deliver public affairs communiqués that support the Grain Farmers of Ontario’s strategy and raise awareness of critical issues to both government and members
- Work with communications team to develop a range of strategic communications products in a variety of formats for both internal and external audiences to compellingly position the Grain Farmers of Ontario as a leader and strong voice within the Ontario agricultural industry
- Respond to government inquiries as required
- Responsible for the preparation of speaking notes, drafting reports, invitations, briefings and submissions, correspondence and media interviews in regards to government relations as required
- Review parliamentary happenings and produce regular briefings
- Establish performance goals, objectives and individual development plans for direct reports
- University or College degree in Public Affairs, Political Science or a related discipline
- APR designation an asset
- Relevant work experience in Government Relations required
- Experience with agricultural policy
- Background in agriculture is a requirement
- Solid understanding of Government and industry programs and resources available to Grain Farmers of Ontario’s members
- Proven ability to lobby, influence and communicate with a wide variety of people at all levels of industry and government
- Strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills with experience writing reports and government briefings
- Proficient with MS Office (Work, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of the Canadian grain industry (corn, soy wheat) or related products and services
- Sound judgment, integrity in all actions and critical thinking skills an asset
- Demonstrated previous experience to support and lead communication of competitive intelligence to internal stakeholders on legislative and regulatory actions of interest to the organization.
- Must possess strong leadership and management and team building skills
- Flexibility to travel and willing to work outside of normal office hours when circumstances dictate
- Previous experience in a management role being an advocate for an organization
Hours of work: Monday-Friday 35 hours/week
Compensation: Salary & Competitive benefits commensurate with education and experience
Application Deadline: July 3, 2013
We thank all applicants for their interest in Grain Farmers of Ontario; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.