Employment and Business Facilitator
Graduate Support Services
Full Time Contract Position (40 hours per week)
2 Positions Available
University of Calgary
Graduate Support Services, located at the University of Calgary, is seeking an individual who is committed to the inclusion of people with developmental disabilities, and who is able to see these individuals as full and contributing members of society. The best candidate for this position will be able to build partnerships and communicate with graduates, families, the business community, potential employers, and employers. The ideal candidate will also have the ability to work independently and problem solve, as well as work with a team.
The candidate will be supporting people in the community with their employment. Direct support will be focused on building natural supports for the individual in their workplace and encouraging an inclusive work environment. Emphasis will be placed on building/increasing advocacy within their employment position, establishing and maintaining their rapport with co-workers and building independence in the workplace. This will be done while working with all stakeholders involved (the individual, their employer/manager/supervisor, and their family) to establish a natural workplace complimented by external employment support. People supported are employed or are searching for employment. For individuals who have gained employment, direct support will be intensive at first but will fade out over time being replaced with natural supports at the workplace and a clear understanding of daily responsibilities for the individual.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare employment summaries for Graduates in Graduate Support Services. Inform families of monthly progress and submit all quarterly summaries to Director for review.
- Attend Graduate Support Services staff meetings to provide input and updates regarding graduate employment.
- Cover off as needed for current work support and any new employment placements for graduates.
- Attend employment related training and workshops
- Networking in the community and with like-minded agencies.
- Plan and support strategies whereby individual’s goals can be achieved.
- Meet with Graduate and family/guardian to gather information regarding skills and needs and to update Graduate resume.
- Assisting Graduates in determining the socially valued roles in the community that would be the most suitable to their preferences and abilities; in so doing assisting Graduates and families in formulating a lifestyle plan.
- Facilitates access to inclusive employment, volunteer placement, personal development and community activities.
- Facilitates the development of skills in the areas of employment, socialization and recreation that will promote independence.
- Prepares potential employer contact list for job search.
- Intitiates employer contacts for potential position in the community.
- Orients Employer to the program supports available and the Graduate to the details of the job.
- Provides a job analysis to ensure the Graduate’s skills and need areas.
- Provide the Graduates with opportunities to participate in an interview and provides training and support on how to do this.
- Support Graduates during employment interviews and ensure they are prepared for the interviews.
- To provide support based on individual needs; assisting Graduates and their families in identifying specific goals related to employment, recreational and social endeavors.
- Promotes connections to the community made through the relationships with co-workers and volunteer peers.
- Maintains continuous access to resources available through the University community and related networks.
- Maintains contacts with the individual employers and co-workers at the worksite.
- Maintains phone contacts as needed with parents/ guardians to ensure appropriate information exchange so as to support the graduate and family choices.
- Provides job coaching to individuals at the worksite as needed.
- Breaks down barriers by educating and promoting natural supports and mentoring relationships where ever necessary.
- Ensures the Graduate continues to hold socially valued roles in the community.
- Facilitates the development of natural supports in the Graduate’s workplace.
This is a Full Time Contract Position, 40 hours per week, starting at a wage of $18.50 per hour. After a 3 month probation period, a review will occur and an increase in wage may be optioned.
-Valid Driver’s Lincense and vehicle required
-CPR Certification required
-Police Clearance required
-Related degree and/or experience would be an asset
-2 Positions available: 3 month contract and 6 month contract, both with possibility of extension.
Please respond with *RESUME AND COVER LETTER*. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.