Graduate Support Services
Full Time Position (40 hours per week)
University of Calgary
Graduate Support Services, located at the University of Calgary campus, is seeking an individual who is committed to the inclusion of people with developmental disabilities. The best candidate for this position will be able to build partnerships and communicate with graduates, families and employers. The ideal candidate will also have the ability to work independently and problem solve, as well as work with a team.
The candidate will be supporting people in the community with job preparation and searching, competitive paid employment, volunteering and personal development activities. Direct support will be focused on building natural supports for the individual in their workplace and communities, and encouraging an inclusive environment. Emphasis will be placed on building/increasing advocacy within their employment position, establishing and maintaining their rapport with co-workers and building independence in the workplace. For individuals who have gained employment, direct support will be intensive at first but will fade out over time being replaced with natural supports at the workplace and a clear understanding of daily responsibilities for the individual.
Employment Preparation and job searching:
- Plan and support strategies whereby individual’s goals can be achieved.
- Meet with Graduate and family/guardian to gather information regarding skills and
*Build or update resumes and/or cover letters
- Assisting Graduates in determining the socially valued roles in the community that would be the most suitable to their preferences and abilities; in so doing assisting Graduates and families in formulating a lifestyle plan.
- Facilitates access to inclusive employment, volunteer placement, and personal development.
- Facilitates the development of skills that will promote independence.
- Networking with potential employers and companies.
- Intitiates employer contacts for potential position in the community.
- Orients potential employers to the program supports available and the Graduate to the details of the job.
- Provide the Graduates with opportunities to participate in an interview and provides training and support on how to do this.
- Support Graduates during employment interviews and ensure they are prepared for the interviews.
Employment Support and On-going:
- To provide support based on individual needs; assisting Graduates and their families in identifying specific goals related to employment, volunteer, and personal development.
- Promotes connections to the community made through the relationships with co-workers and volunteer peers.
- Maintains continuous access to resources available through the community and related networks.
- Maintains contacts with the individual employers and co-workers at the worksite.
- Maintains phone contacts as needed with parents/ guardians to ensure appropriate information exchange so as to support the graduate and family choices.
- Provides job coaching to individuals at the worksite as needed.
- Breaks down barriers by educating and promoting natural supports and mentoring relationships where ever necessary.
- Ensures the Graduate continues to hold socially valued roles in the community.
- Facilitates the development of natural supports in the Graduate’s workplace.
This is a Full Time position. Wage starts at $20/hour.
-Valid Driver’s Lincense and vehicle required
-CPR Certification will be required
-Police Clearance will be required required
-Related degree and/or experience would be an asset.
Please respond via with resume and cover letter. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.