Gowling Lafleur Henderson LLP Employee Reviews in Canada

Enjoyed working at this firm
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 29, 2016
During my almost five years with the firm, I can truly say that this is the best law firm I have worked for. To this day, I have maintained a good relationship with some partners, associates, legal assistants, accounting, and office services staff.
Pros
Relaxed environment
Cons
(Vancouver) A little bit behind on some office procedures and still keeping inefficient employees
Typical day
Executive Assistant to General Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 6, 2015
I organize meetings, internal events and day to day requirements for all executive. I manage the GM's calendar, expenses, speadsheets, town hall and a variety of odd end jobs.
More Opportunity
Paralegal Internship (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 22, 2015
The company has a good life/work balance and everyone is helpful with each other. The staff are all willing to assist and overall the job environment is very professional
Great organization & great place to gain knowledge and experience.
Administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONOctober 16, 2013
Great group of co-workers and professionals. If you worked hard you were shown appreciation and were always acknowledged for work well done. Each day was different but ran smoothly the majority of the time and when the work day was over you went home to your family and left work at work. I am forever thankful to be given the chance to gain experience and knowledge through Gowlings. Learning from scratch various programs, time management, client service and gaining responsibility along the way was beneficial for my career. There was always someone there to help you learn and understand whenever you needed it. I hope someone else gets the great experience I had and is appreciative of what it can do for you career.
Pros
plenty of perks!
They treat their employees very well and invest in them
Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, CanadaSeptember 15, 2012
Gowlings set the bar very high in terms of their professionalism in how they deal with employees. Before and after them I have not come across an employer that takes that much care of its employees, takes care to maintain links with them in the years after employment.
I learned as much as I wanted to. I was mentored by numerous senior lawyers in work as much as life. Their commitment and professionalism was very very high.
The management is in transition. They have grown by merger in the past and as they face new international markets to grow into, have been evaluating their options for a few years.
They are not at all insular. I was not a Canadian when I started working there and I never felt a dearth of opportunity in my time spent there. I was given as much exposure as they could give me.
Pros
very progressive, inclusive work culture.
Cons
private practice in international firms is very stressful, there can often be an eat what you kill mentality, one has to be prepared to plan well to be able to cope with the standards and the stress.
Good firm ... for Bay Street
Associate Lawyer, Commercial Real Estate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 15, 2013
Prides itself on saying it's a great place to work and consistently ranks in the top 100 or 50 companies in the country. The reality is, this applies more to the staff than to the lawyers. For them, it's business as usual, Bay Street-style.

This means high targets (but average for Bay Street), an informal emphasis on exceeding targets in order to stay employed (average for Bay Street), poor communications between partners and associates (average for Bay Street), almost no management to speak of (average for Bay Street), minimal mentorship (average for Bay Street).

The people in my department were really great, and if I could say one thing about this firm that was different from my other BigLaw experiences, it would have to be them.

But, it's a Bay Street law firm.
Good opportunity
Servery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 2, 2014
What I've learn is that you need to be on top of your game. Everyone helps every one yet as an individual you need to be self reliable.
benefits
Cons
management
Great workplace
Legal Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 17, 2015
Worked there for almost 13 years started right out of college. It was a great place to learn and I had a very nice boss. I worked in litigation, patents, trade-marks and designs.
Productive workplace, considerate of employees' needs.
LEGAL ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioFebruary 20, 2014
I was there nearly 23 years and would not have left had I not been made redundant.
Pros
excellent health care benefits.
Review
Floater (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 23, 2013
Because I am a floater a typical day at work depends on where I am placed. This was my first job in the legal field and I have learned a lot in terms of how to open a file, how to do an expense reimbursement. I enjoyed getting to know my co workers here and everyone is really friendly and approachable. The hardest part of the job is the different personalities you might come in contact with (mostly having to do with the lawyers). The most enjoyable part is learning new things.
Pros
different sessions that take place within the firm
Cons
different personalities
Legal Resource Team
Legal Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 9, 2014
I love working here; however, it is possibly only a part-time position.
High school coop
Law Clerk, Co-op placement (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 28, 2014
Filing cases
Learned about filling, bookkeeping
Hardest part was getting to work after school
Enjoyed working with legal papers