GOVERNMENT OF THE NORTHWEST TERRITORIES

GOVERNMENT OF THE NORTHWEST TERRITORIES Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Salary and benefits are great but, getting an indeterminate posting is virtually impossible outside of the very remote communities.
Teacher/Facilitator (Current Employee), Hay River, Northwest TerritoriesMarch 4, 2014
Pros: amazing people and places.
Cons: crazy expensive to get out to visit far away family and friends.
The geography and scenery are spectacular and the salary and benefits are amazing. This is all used up though, paying utilities and buying decent groceries. Thankfully the people Up Here are kind and generous and more than willing to share and help out.
Liked it in the summer time
Marine Deckhand (ferry) (Former Employee), Fort Providence, NTOctober 27, 2013
Pros: 3-4 days 0ff
Cons: sleep at work site after shift ends.
Didn't like it in the winter freezing months. Water drops, making it hard for ferry to dock.
Educational
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Yellowknife, NTSeptember 19, 2013
Pros: the unique conditions of the north.
Cons: the amount of day light during the extended winters
Provided me with an understanding of different cultures and gave me the opportunity for professional growth.

The hardest part of the job was leaving the North in order to further my education.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and learning something new each day.
good place to work and learn
plumber (Former Employee), Hay River, NTFebruary 20, 2013
too many stories to tell.
My best friend died during this time, so did my dad. It was my co workers who helped me through it all.
Excellent place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Yellowknife, NTSeptember 2, 2012
Pros: receiving 187.5 hours of annual days per year, government shutting down for 2 weeks at christmas time, and great pay!
Cons: the huge project of converting the government wide filing system, difficult to wrap our heads around it
Work load varied on a day to day basis; some days you just take initiative and create projects to keep busy, other days, you may have numerous letters to edit/format. Every day, you used the mail log system to log in or log out mail.

I've been with the same department for 10 years and all my coworkers were great to work with.

The hardest part of the – more... job was probably training a new Admin Assistant.

The most enjoyable part was the great staff and covering off for more than one Administrative Assistant at a time; sometimes, I was covering for 3 Administrative positions anywhere from 1 day to 1 week or more. – less