Government of the Northwest Territories

Government of the Northwest Territories Employee Reviews

Hard work but enjoyable
Records and File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Inuvik, NTMarch 19, 2015
My time with Health services and Health records is where I learned my skills as a office admin. I worked front line positions as well as behind the scenes. I always had a good rapport with staff as well as knowing how to deal with the public. I learned that doing a good job the first time and accuracy with my filing is very important in the health field. We were often commended for our accurate filing.
Pros
good pay, great staff.
Cons
paper cuts, hard on eyes looking at screen.
Salary and benefits are great but, getting an indeterminate posting is virtually impossible outside of the very remote communities.
Teacher/Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Hay River, Northwest TerritoriesMarch 4, 2014
The geography and scenery are spectacular and the salary and benefits are amazing. This is all used up though, paying utilities and buying decent groceries. Thankfully the people Up Here are kind and generous and more than willing to share and help out.
Pros
amazing people and places.
Cons
crazy expensive to get out to visit far away family and friends.
A professional operation to work with.
CONTRACTS MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Yellowknife, NTJanuary 5, 2014
A typical day was busy and exciting. There were challenges and issues to deal with.
All of the department directors had their own mandate and or agendas for the short and long term periods. I managed to obtain copies of every mandate and I studied them so I was prepared when it was time to act.
I was a part of the Financial - Administrative section of the GNWT working with two departments. My co-workers were mostly the financial officers, however I did have a purchasing officer who reported directly to me.
Every job has its difficult areas, and to be successful one has to overcome the diversity of issues that arise and still keep within the Governments Policies, Procedures, and Guidelines.
The most enjoyable part of my position was the win win situation. Everything was done in a transparent, concise and accountable fashion.
Pros
learning as much as i could over the years. being respected by my piers and by my vendors
Cons
employees who would try and get around the proper procedures.
Liked it in the summer time
Marine Deckhand (ferry) (Former Employee) –  Fort Providence, NTOctober 27, 2013
Didn't like it in the winter freezing months. Water drops, making it hard for ferry to dock.
Pros
3-4 days 0ff
Cons
sleep at work site after shift ends.
Educational
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Yellowknife, NTSeptember 19, 2013
Provided me with an understanding of different cultures and gave me the opportunity for professional growth.

The hardest part of the job was leaving the North in order to further my education.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and learning something new each day.
Pros
the unique conditions of the north.
Cons
the amount of day light during the extended winters
good place to work and learn
plumber (Former Employee) –  Hay River, NTFebruary 20, 2013
too many stories to tell.
My best friend died during this time, so did my dad. It was my co workers who helped me through it all.

Want to know more about Government of the Northwest Territories?

Ask a question