Government of the Northwest Territories

Government of the Northwest Territories Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Salary and benefits are great but, getting an indeterminate posting is virtually impossible outside of the very remote communities.
Teacher/Facilitator (Current Employee), Hay River, Northwest TerritoriesMarch 4, 2014
Pros: amazing people and places.
Cons: crazy expensive to get out to visit far away family and friends.
The geography and scenery are spectacular and the salary and benefits are amazing. This is all used up though, paying utilities and buying decent groceries. Thankfully the people Up Here are kind and generous and more than willing to share and help out.
A professional operation to work with.
CONTRACTS MANAGER (Former Employee), Yellowknife, NTJanuary 5, 2014
Pros: learning as much as i could over the years. being respected by my piers and by my vendors
Cons: employees who would try and get around the proper procedures.
A typical day was busy and exciting. There were challenges and issues to deal with.
All of the department directors had their own mandate and or agendas for the short and long term periods. I managed to obtain copies of every mandate and I studied them so I was prepared when it was time to act.
I was a part of the Financial - Administrative section – more... of the GNWT working with two departments. My co-workers were mostly the financial officers, however I did have a purchasing officer who reported directly to me.
Every job has its difficult areas, and to be successful one has to overcome the diversity of issues that arise and still keep within the Governments Policies, Procedures, and Guidelines.
The most enjoyable part of my position was the win win situation. Everything was done in a transparent, concise and accountable fashion. – less
Liked it in the summer time
Marine Deckhand (ferry) (Former Employee), Fort Providence, NTOctober 27, 2013
Pros: 3-4 days 0ff
Cons: sleep at work site after shift ends.
Didn't like it in the winter freezing months. Water drops, making it hard for ferry to dock.
Educational
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Yellowknife, NTSeptember 19, 2013
Pros: the unique conditions of the north.
Cons: the amount of day light during the extended winters
Provided me with an understanding of different cultures and gave me the opportunity for professional growth.

The hardest part of the job was leaving the North in order to further my education.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and learning something new each day.
Excellent place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Yellowknife, NTSeptember 2, 2012
Pros: receiving 187.5 hours of annual days per year, government shutting down for 2 weeks at christmas time, and great pay!
Cons: the huge project of converting the government wide filing system, difficult to wrap our heads around it
Work load varied on a day to day basis; some days you just take initiative and create projects to keep busy, other days, you may have numerous letters to edit/format. Every day, you used the mail log system to log in or log out mail.

I've been with the same department for 10 years and all my coworkers were great to work with.

The hardest part of the – more... job was probably training a new Admin Assistant.

The most enjoyable part was the great staff and covering off for more than one Administrative Assistant at a time; sometimes, I was covering for 3 Administrative positions anywhere from 1 day to 1 week or more. – less

About Government of the Northwest Territories

The Legislative Assembly of the Northwest Territories has 19 members and functions in much the same way as a provincial legislature, – Read more