Government of Saskatchewan

Government of Saskatchewan Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Advancement, great benefits and the best people
Work Experiences (Former Employee), Regina, SKMay 28, 2014
Pros: event planning, trade shows, educating the public
Cons: at times, difficulty getting to some construction sites.
The department I worked in was excellent due to the people, advancement and training. I miss the people but luckily kept in close contact with so many over the years.
Demanding & extensive monitoring.
Cultural Program Coordinator (Former Employee), Yorkton, SKNovember 11, 2013
Pros: great pay & benefits.
Cons: suffocating work environment.
Kids & programs were great, co-workers lacked empathy & education. Management spent time scrutinizing employees creating a very unhealthy work environment. Most difficult part of the job was knowing that a Youth did not learn something.
Good job
General Service Worker (Former Employee), Regina, SKOctober 31, 2013
Pros: the people i worked with.
Cons: changing gov't meant changing job security.
Moved to new province , had to leave job. enjoyed the 4 pm to 12 am shift.
Great place to work after your winding down your career. Not a place for young individuals. Promotions are non existent unless another person retires.
Petroleum Engineer (Contract) (Former Employee), Regina, SKAugust 22, 2013
Pros: great holidays.
Cons: no learning curve. lots of applications and paper work, can get boring quickly.
Nice relaxing environment. Great benefits and flex days. The culture is great. But the work is not very challenging, a lot of pushing paper and as a young engineer eager to learn this place lacks work that will help you grow. The work is mostly regulatory.
Challenging and satisfying
Corrections Officer (Former Employee), Regina, SKApril 4, 2013
Pros: fast paced
Cons: high stress
I enjoyed working in this job for over 14 years and only left in order to return to my home province
Min of Environment - forest service
Forest Service Branch (Former Employee), Prince AlbertAugust 28, 2012
Pros: flexible hours, and lots of flex time and other time off benifts. good group to work with, uniforms for most field postions, cheap living costs in sk, group pension plan has a good preformance track record.
Cons: foresty seems 10 years behind others, result base appears to be without real accountable or real enforcement of the licensee, winter are cold, smaller towns come with lots of driving. area forester travel often to prince albert for meetings
Forest service is just under 100 people in total for the whole province with most staff found in Prince Albert. The other Forest Service postings are in small towns.
SK forestry regulation is light compared to other provinces. Senior managers mean well and believe in sustainable forestry, but often get caught up in the economic realities. They are unable – more... or unwilling at times to hold the licensee fully accountable and tend to push only weakly for improvements from the licensee. This frustrates some ministry employees, especially younger employees. For those who push from below as they can face the "lets becareful and move slowly" conservatiism.

Conversely, unlike larger ministries in other provinces who have numerous internal rules and policy, there is very little at the Forest Service and they just dropped their ISO 14001 EMS after 8 years. . Individuals in Saskatchewan Forest Service generally have a lot of freedom to make their own decisions and can directly influence the development of forestry policy and how it will be implemented.

Other nice thing is all FS staff are on a first names from the Executive director down, Any FS staff can talk directly to each other - there isn’t sub-dept barriers. But just like any place some managers are better than other.

For the field inspectors and Area Forester, the small operators (less than 5,000m annualy) take up a great deal of time, They are part time winter loggers,with limited skills and knowledge..

Forest Ecosystem Protection Specialist = timber harvest inspectors who also get to do full C&E work – less
Happy to work with my team
Office of the Worker's Advocate (Former Employee), Regina, Sk.August 22, 2012
Pros: the benefits
Cons: contract positions
Overall i was happy working for the Gov't of Saskatchewan. the pay was good. I had decent hours with EDO's
Job was fine. I was there as a student doing a work practicum.
Child Protection Worker (Former Employee), Regina, SKJuly 30, 2012
Pros: good hours
Cons: security
Overall a good place to work. I was a student completing a work practicum.
Not only a work place, but a new family
Case Assistance Worker (Current Employee), La Ronge, SKApril 14, 2012
Pros: learning opportunities, inspirational enviroment, good benefits, great enviroment.
Cons: uncertain schedule
Unfortunately our division got close and our jobs abolish, but I am really enjoy work for the Government.
My coworker where working there for they whole life, they where kind, polite and very supportive.
We usually help each other and respectful.
the harder part of my job was when we received the notice of abolish our jobs, everyone was devastated was – more... like lost a family. – less