Government of Saskatchewan

Government of Saskatchewan Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun and productive workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Regina, SKAugust 18, 2015
The Government of Saskatchewan was a very comfortable and enjoyable place to work with exceptional benefits and people..
Administrative Assistant for Member of the Legislative Assembly - Victoria Jugens
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Prince Albert, SKAugust 3, 2015
Pros: Meeting People
Cons: none
It has been a great experience working for MLA Victoria Jugens. I would have to say she is my top female role model. Victoria has help me in many different ways. by giving me a job to work for her, and to experience in the Government politics. I had done alot of office work, like organizing, prioritizing, meeting clients on a daily basis, answering the phone and helping clients as much as i can. i had also manage and put together on excel worksheet the office duties, expenditures, etc.

On the side, while off work, i still come out to do volunteer political work, as in door-knocking.
Super enjoyable - dream summer job!
Campground Maintenance Worker (Former Employee), Nemeiben Lake, SKJune 12, 2015
Pros: Great hours, great location, great scenery, enjoyable, low stress, learn how to manage a campground, fish fry's.
Cons: Eventually the summer ends.
Working as Campground Maintenance at Nemeiben Lake Campground was the most relaxing, enjoyable and beautiful job I have ever had. The location is gorgeous, and if you are lucky like I was, you will be able to stay in the cabin on the lake in the campground. It is nothing fancy but has more than the essentials and it's hard to beat a cabin by yourself on the lake.

The coworkers are an absolute dream. They are friendly, happy, hard working and a pleasure to be around. One of the best teams. Management is involved and is a good blend of young and not young. They are personable, approachable and realistic.

This job would be ideally suited for someone who loves the outdoors, doesn't mind working hard to ensure the campground(s) are adequate, likes talking to people but also enjoys time by themselves, has or wants to enhance their time management and organizational skills.
Accountable for coordination and providing administrative support to the Executive Director of Occupational Health & Safety Division of the Labour Rel
Executive Coordinator (Current Employee), Regina, SKMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Great to work with.
Cons: high stress.
•As a member of the Executive Directors office and of the executive management team, I am responsible for the coordination of the corporate agenda; follow up on decisions taken to ensure implementation, and where implementation issues occur, to recommend appropriate action for resolution.
•Supervise two front line staff, ensuring appropriate coverage, delegation of tasks to maintain productivity.
•Creation and maintenance of a manual for the role of Occupational Health and Safety Executive Coordinator of the Labour Relations and Workplace Safety Ministry.
•Created value to internal clients by canvassing my services to help others save time and increase productivity.
•Organized divisional events, coordinate schedules, make travel arrangements as needed.
•Coordinate the flow of communication for the ED office. Prioritizing/monitoring/facilitating/handling/redirecting communication capturing interactions with the management team of Occupational Health and Safety, Labour Relations and Workplace Safety, and other Ministries: through several mediums.
•Monthly reconciliation of company purchase card.
•Sought after by co-workers for expertise in office equipment and excelling in Microsoft products and well as many other Government wide software systems
Really enjoyed the place and people. Really enjoyed the place and people. Really enjoyed the place and people
Income Assistance Worker (Former Employee), Regina, SKMarch 17, 2015
Great place to work, embraces diversity and open to new ideas
Quality Assurance, Administrative Support (Current Employee), Regina, SKSeptember 6, 2014
A place where developing oneself is encouraged.

Knowledge is shared.

Great team workers.
Advancement, great benefits and the best people
Work Experiences (Former Employee), Regina, SKMay 28, 2014
Pros: event planning, trade shows, educating the public
Cons: at times, difficulty getting to some construction sites.
The department I worked in was excellent due to the people, advancement and training. I miss the people but luckily kept in close contact with so many over the years.
Demanding & extensive monitoring.
Cultural Program Coordinator (Former Employee), Yorkton, SKNovember 11, 2013
Pros: great pay & benefits.
Cons: suffocating work environment.
Kids & programs were great, co-workers lacked empathy & education. Management spent time scrutinizing employees creating a very unhealthy work environment. Most difficult part of the job was knowing that a Youth did not learn something.
Great place to work after your winding down your career. Not a place for young individuals. Promotions are non existent unless another person retires.
Petroleum Engineer (Contract) (Former Employee), Regina, SKAugust 22, 2013
Pros: great holidays.
Cons: no learning curve. lots of applications and paper work, can get boring quickly.
Nice relaxing environment. Great benefits and flex days. The culture is great. But the work is not very challenging, a lot of pushing paper and as a young engineer eager to learn this place lacks work that will help you grow. The work is mostly regulatory.
Challenging and satisfying
Corrections Officer (Former Employee), Regina, SKApril 4, 2013
Pros: fast paced
Cons: high stress
I enjoyed working in this job for over 14 years and only left in order to return to my home province
fast paced, fun environment
Facility Youth Worker/ Case Manager (NBYC) (Current Employee), North Battleford, SKDecember 19, 2012
Pros: making a change in a life
Cons: incidents
I enjoyed the wage and benefits as well as the chance of advancement. Within a year of working there i advanced from a level 5 to an 8. A typical day at work would be hanging out with the residents. Helping them with supper, having a group meeting, escorting them to activities. I learned a lot about casework. Management was very understanding. I enjoyed everyone i worked with. The hardest part of the job was trying to calm a resident down but it was also the most enjoyable part.
Min of Environment - forest service
Forest Service Branch (Former Employee), Prince AlbertAugust 28, 2012
Pros: flexible hours, and lots of flex time and other time off benifts. good group to work with, uniforms for most field postions, cheap living costs in sk, group pension plan has a good preformance track record.
Cons: foresty seems 10 years behind others, result base appears to be without real accountable or real enforcement of the licensee, winter are cold, smaller towns come with lots of driving. area forester travel often to prince albert for meetings
Forest service is just under 100 people in total for the whole province with most staff found in Prince Albert. The other Forest Service postings are in small towns.
SK forestry regulation is light compared to other provinces. Senior managers mean well and believe in sustainable forestry, but often get caught up in the economic realities. They are unable or unwilling at times to hold the licensee fully accountable and tend to push only weakly for improvements from the licensee. This frustrates some ministry employees, especially younger employees. For those who push from below as they can face the "lets becareful and move slowly" conservatiism.

Conversely, unlike larger ministries in other provinces who have numerous internal rules and policy, there is very little at the Forest Service and they just dropped their ISO 14001 EMS after 8 years. . Individuals in Saskatchewan Forest Service generally have a lot of freedom to make their own decisions and can directly influence the development of forestry policy and how it will be implemented.

Other nice thing is all FS staff are on a first names from the Executive director down, Any FS staff can talk directly to each other - there isn’t sub-dept barriers. But just like any place some managers are better than other.

For the field inspectors and Area Forester, the small operators (less than 5,000m annualy) take up a great deal of time, They are part time winter loggers,with limited skills and knowledge..

Forest Ecosystem Protection Specialist = timber harvest inspectors who also get to do full C&E work
Happy to work with my team
Office of the Worker's Advocate (Former Employee), Regina, Sk.August 22, 2012
Pros: the benefits
Cons: contract positions
Overall i was happy working for the Gov't of Saskatchewan. the pay was good. I had decent hours with EDO's
Job was fine. I was there as a student doing a work practicum.
Child Protection Worker (Former Employee), Regina, SKJuly 30, 2012
Pros: good hours
Cons: security
Overall a good place to work. I was a student completing a work practicum.
Not only a work place, but a new family
Case Assistance Worker (Current Employee), La Ronge, SKApril 14, 2012
Pros: learning opportunities, inspirational enviroment, good benefits, great enviroment.
Cons: uncertain schedule
Unfortunately our division got close and our jobs abolish, but I am really enjoy work for the Government.
My coworker where working there for they whole life, they where kind, polite and very supportive.
We usually help each other and respectful.
the harder part of my job was when we received the notice of abolish our jobs, everyone was devastated was like lost a family.