GOVERNMENT OF NUNAVUT Employee Reviews in Canada

nursing in the north
Casual - Community Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  Cambridge Bay, NUJanuary 31, 2016
Working in Nunavut, you work long hours and never know what was coming through the door. It is a challenge for any nurse, and as a new graduate the challenges were endless and something WAY beyond my scope of practice. But I am from Nunavut and loved being able to help the people of my community. This also possessed another challenge as I began to learn way more then I ever would care to know about my neighbours, friends and people I have known my entire life.
Job security, cross cultural opportunity
Registered Psychiatric Nurse (Current Employee) –  Baker Lake, NUDecember 15, 2015
Cross cultural opportunity and opportunity for career improvement. Opportunity to travel around and learn other people's culture. Good wages.
One of the best jobs I could find
MANAGER - Airport Facilities, Nunavut Airport (Former Employee) –  Rankin Inlet, NUNovember 4, 2015
The only shortfall of this job is location. Nunavut comunities are isloated, remote and cold. Other than that, this job was very rewarding and provided lots of positive experiences. the work environment is great, salary is very comptitve and there are opportunities to learn and grow.
good benefits
Income Support Assistant-Casual (Current Employee) –  coral harbourOctober 16, 2015
GN is a great place to work for up north, the largest employer in Nunavut.

I've learned how to enjoy working with clients in many ways also thankful for upper management.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
angry clients
The Hunger Games
Healthcare (Former Employee) –  Rankin Inlet, NUJune 1, 2015
Good pay, beautiful culture, people and land. Very welcoming

Terrible work life
Not a good place to gain life experience, work experience, or learn team building skills
Very negative and toxic environment
Very great
Child and Family Service Worker (Former Employee) –  NunavutApril 17, 2015
Amazing learning experience and a real opportunity to build your skills. I had a great time and learned lots. I would highly recommend this job to anyone wanting an adventure and to test their social work skills and develop more.
Respect
Inpatient Nurse (Former Employee) –  Rankin Inlet, NunavutMarch 17, 2015
Loved working with the population and my peers. Management could have been more informed for the standards of RNs and LPNs.
Pros
great money and people
Cons
only a contract
learn to adapt daily to different moods of institutions
Acting Correctional Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Iqaluit, NUAugust 20, 2014
A typical day at work involves assessing the mood of the institution and being prepared to respond in an effiective manner as each day comes with unique situations. I hold three separate job titles at my current place of employment and have learned how to communicate with staff, management, and upset offenders in the least disruptive alternative possible.

I have learnt how to assess remanded offenders entering the institution to ensure they are not at risk of comitting suicide or harming themselves via the "ORAMS" interview. I have learnt how to build a proper rapport with offenders in order for them to entrust me with key information on whats happening throughout the institution and to follow orders when given.

The hardest part of my job is the intense stress level from day to day. Being prepared for when volatile situations can and will take place.
Pros
great benefit package
Cons
extremely high stress with
Highest pay ever
Senior Database Consultant/ Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  IqaluitJuly 24, 2014
Pay is very good, but the city is in very remote area and isolated and dark in the winter as it is close to Arctic.
Pros
good pay
Cons
isolated and cold in winter
Quick Summary
Informatics Technician (Former Employee) –  Iqaluit, NUApril 20, 2014
A new Government with a mandate from the people. This Government is focused on improving services to the people and increasing Inuit presence in the workplace.
Pros
excellent salary
Cons
isolated locations
Community Corrections/Probation Officer
Community Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Kugluktuk, NUDecember 9, 2013
As a Community Correctional officer I was responsible for the Woman and Young offenders of the community that I resided in.
Working for the Government.
Project's Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge Bay, NUDecember 3, 2013
Working with the Government was not a bad thing, it was actually nice because I got to see what it's like to work with others and very professional people. Great five months I had there.
Pros
holiday lunches together.
Cons
no cons i can think of.
An opportunity to build something from the ground up
Human Resource Advisor & Consultant (Current Employee) –  Iqaluit, NUSeptember 14, 2013
A wonderful opportunity to work in an environment like nothing else. A chance to make changes that have a direct and wide-spread impact. A new government with many opportunities for input.

The work is challenging and different everyday. Working directly with the Executive Management branch of the government has been a wonderful opportunity to provide advice and guidance to the leader of the Public Service and other Deputy Heads within the government. It has been a very rewarding career opportunity and I have loved every minute of it.

The corporate environment is supportive, open and welcoming and the team spirit is very strong.

The biggest challenge of the position does not come from the leadership but from the non-management employees who have been there the longest and do not welcome change. Performance Management with these people has been very difficult but with the implementation of mandatory guidelines and support from the Deputy Head there has been success.
Pros
ability to work directly with the deputy heads of the government, small office, no commute, good salary, remote living allowance, terrific medical and dental benefits, generous vacation allowance
Cons
extreme cold living environment, long winters, difficulty of travel to other locations
Weekly travelling
Consultant Trainer, Deficit Recovery Program (Former Employee) –  Cape Dorset, NUJune 20, 2013
Travelling to various communities for a week or two was exciting. The work requirements were the same in each location but all communities have something different to offer. Review of financial records, prepare audit working papers prior to the auditor's arriving was huge undertaking in the 8 communities I went to. I enjoyed the work, people and places
Pros
new places
Cons
living out of a suitcase
good place to work work on courswork
Mental Health Consultant (Current Employee) –  KugaarukJuly 20, 2012
I worked on a Masters of Counselling in Psychology
and now have my MACP!!

Great place (because there is so much extra time) to work on education goals.
Pros
extra time
Cons
long periods away from family

4.6