GOVERNMENT OF NUNAVUT

GOVERNMENT OF NUNAVUT Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Respect
Inpatient Nurse (Former Employee), Rankin Inlet, NunavutMarch 17, 2015
Pros: great money and people
Cons: only a contract
Loved working with the population and my peers. Management could have been more informed for the standards of RNs and LPNs.
learn to adapt daily to different moods of institutions
Acting Correctional Supervisor (Current Employee), Iqaluit, NUAugust 20, 2014
Pros: great benefit package
Cons: extremely high stress with
A typical day at work involves assessing the mood of the institution and being prepared to respond in an effiective manner as each day comes with unique situations. I hold three separate job titles at my current place of employment and have learned how to communicate with staff, management, and upset offenders in the least disruptive alternative possible.

I have learnt how to assess remanded offenders entering the institution to ensure they are not at risk of comitting suicide or harming themselves via the "ORAMS" interview. I have learnt how to build a proper rapport with offenders in order for them to entrust me with key information on whats happening throughout the institution and to follow orders when given.

The hardest part of my job is the intense stress level from day to day. Being prepared for when volatile situations can and will take place.
Highest pay ever
Senior Database Consultant/ Programmer Analyst (Former Employee), IqaluitJuly 24, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: isolated and cold in winter
Pay is very good, but the city is in very remote area and isolated and dark in the winter as it is close to Arctic.
Quick Summary
Informatics Technician (Former Employee), Iqaluit, NUApril 20, 2014
Pros: excellent salary
Cons: isolated locations
A new Government with a mandate from the people. This Government is focused on improving services to the people and increasing Inuit presence in the workplace.
Community Corrections/Probation Officer
Community Corrections Officer (Former Employee), Kugluktuk, NUDecember 9, 2013
As a Community Correctional officer I was responsible for the Woman and Young offenders of the community that I resided in.
Working for the Government.
Project's Management Assistant (Former Employee), Cambridge Bay, NUDecember 3, 2013
Pros: holiday lunches together.
Cons: no cons i can think of.
Working with the Government was not a bad thing, it was actually nice because I got to see what it's like to work with others and very professional people. Great five months I had there.
An opportunity to build something from the ground up
Human Resource Advisor & Consultant (Current Employee), Iqaluit, NUSeptember 14, 2013
Pros: ability to work directly with the deputy heads of the government, small office, no commute, good salary, remote living allowance, terrific medical and dental benefits, generous vacation allowance
Cons: extreme cold living environment, long winters, difficulty of travel to other locations
A wonderful opportunity to work in an environment like nothing else. A chance to make changes that have a direct and wide-spread impact. A new government with many opportunities for input.

The work is challenging and different everyday. Working directly with the Executive Management branch of the government has been a wonderful opportunity to provide advice and guidance to the leader of the Public Service and other Deputy Heads within the government. It has been a very rewarding career opportunity and I have loved every minute of it.

The corporate environment is supportive, open and welcoming and the team spirit is very strong.

The biggest challenge of the position does not come from the leadership but from the non-management employees who have been there the longest and do not welcome change. Performance Management with these people has been very difficult but with the implementation of mandatory guidelines and support from the Deputy Head there has been success.
Weekly travelling
Consultant Trainer, Deficit Recovery Program (Former Employee), Cape Dorset, NUJune 20, 2013
Pros: new places
Cons: living out of a suitcase
Travelling to various communities for a week or two was exciting. The work requirements were the same in each location but all communities have something different to offer. Review of financial records, prepare audit working papers prior to the auditor's arriving was huge undertaking in the 8 communities I went to. I enjoyed the work, people and places
good place to work work on courswork
Mental Health Consultant (Current Employee), KugaarukJuly 20, 2012
Pros: extra time
Cons: long periods away from family
I worked on a Masters of Counselling in Psychology
and now have my MACP!!

Great place (because there is so much extra time) to work on education goals.