Government of Newfoundland and Labrador Employee Reviews

Dirty, dusty warehouse
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLJanuary 15, 2016
Unloading trucks, filling orders. Good co-workers. Physically taxing, good pay at the time, learned that I didn't want to work that way any more.
Pros
Regular snack truck
Cons
Hard work
Overall Satisfactory
Project Management Engineer (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NLMay 21, 2015
Knowing that you are contributing to the Public Service and making things better is rewarding. Amount of red-tape and limitations on implementations are challenging and forces individuals to be more creative but slows down the progress of the organization. Nature of the environment, politics, play a role in direction as well as decision making on a daily basis. Learning to navigate around these challenges take significant time and effort.
Long days however helping people very satisfying.
Executive/Constituent Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. John's, Confederation BuildingJuly 12, 2015
Day starts early, ends late. A lot of travelling. Great satisfaction when I can help people.Learned alot about government policies.
Pros
helping people
Cons
long hours and travelling
Good working relations with management and co-workers
Occupational Health and Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NLFebruary 12, 2013
Senior Compliance and training officer for all Occupational Health and Safety Officers employed with government services.

The hardest part of my job is acciudent investigation including long hours. The most enjoyable part of my job is the type of relationship i experience with contractors and workers alike.
Bureaucracy
Engineer (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NLJanuary 6, 2015
Pay increases in three steps, automatically every 12 months. This is not a good place for anyone that wants to improve things or takes engineering or science seriously. Many people here hate their jobs and are just waiting to retire, due mostly to bad management attitudes. Layoffs and union bumping are a recurring threat every few years. Everyone at manager and above is non-union and serves the political masters. Most professionals are underpaid by at least 40% and the benefits are rapidly deteriorating, particularly pension. It is not uncommon to have extremely high turn over and many unfilled positions. People that have left are usually delighted that they moved on although they were initially nervous about giving up a relatively secure position. Overall, if you need a job, apply, but unless the culture changes radially, this is no place for people who take pride in their work.
Pros
7 hour work day
Cons
ugly political environment
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLJune 20, 2015
I learned about time management and completing tasks. It was fun to work on certain tasks such as phone calls. It was a 8-4 job as well.
as a plumber it deal with the waste of life....
Plumber (Current Employee) –  courts, historical properties and other buildingAugust 31, 2014
No two problems are the same nor is the cause of it. The fun is to find the best solution to provide the client with a working solution. Best of all most times you are on your own. You the problem and limited supplies. The fun of it.
Pros
making it work
Cons
how to do it
Fun team to work with and learn a lot.
Pesticide Control Officer (Former Employee) –  Gander, NewfoundlandJanuary 25, 2012
The Dept. of Environment and Conservation provided a diverse learning experience. It was an opportunity to meet lots of people from the general public, businesses, and professional instructors in the environment and conservation fields.
busy environment however not enough challenges
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLMarch 26, 2013
enjoyed my position however did not offer me the stability I require. found my department was micro-managed and staffers not that friendly...there was no team environment unfortunately
Pros
people contact
Cons
micro-managed
Average government employer
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  St. John'sMay 2, 2013
I enjoyed my managers, directors and deputy. Typical work week was an average 7 hours a day 5 days a week. Co-workers were my favourite part of the job. Our department was more like a family than anything else.
Department of Finance
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLMay 7, 2012
Collected taxes and did motor vehicle registration for Department of Finance. learned excellent time management and interpersonal skills in a team atmosphere.
Pros
every second friday off for summer
Cons
low salary
Great place for summer employment
Office receptionist (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLMarch 22, 2014
I had a great time working here . The people were great , the hours good and I learned a lot about office procedure.
Pros
monday to friday schedule
You can do better
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLJuly 29, 2015
Be prepared to come face to face with managerial incompetence, government red-tape, and rampant double standards. I suppose that's par for the course for any government job.

The data entry work was tedious and monotonous, like it always is, but the standards were never made clear. The only excitement or surprise inherent in the job is how your numbers were either ahead or behind, based on arbitrary standards that are never communicated.

If you're looking for a place to distinguish yourself, innovate, make friends, or be exposed to new methodologies/technologies, you're looking in the wrong place. Managers regularly take credit for work they had no hand in doing or didn't even know it was being done. They're completely ignorant of the technical goings-on, but they'll happily take the kudos for a job well done.

Innovation is frowned upon and almost punished. I came up with several process enhancements to streamline employee performance metrics, but was told to reverse them - even though mine calculated all metrics more accurately than the manager coded ones. I also overwrote a manager's mis-coding of a validation field that had our error rate skyrocketing well beyond acceptable limits. I was fired two days later.

The place is full of gray drones. If you're interested in talking to human beings with feelings and ambitions, you'll have to cultivate a healthy social life outside of the office. Fraternization often turns into a gripe fest that does little to improve the atmosphere.

Government is perpetually 20-30 years behind the curve in terms of any technological
  more... or methodological revolutions, so be prepared to watch your modern skills rust and molder from disuse as you pore over operation manuals for applications from decades past.

The best and worst parts of the job are the same: the work is predictable. If you have zero ambition and aren't interested in any vertical movement internally, then going to work and doing exactly the same thing every day there is for you. Otherwise, you'll find the prospect of dragging yourself out of bed to spend your day, plagued with ennui and talking to cardboard cutout government drones, very difficult to stomach in the long term.

The management style is entirely incompetent. "I don't like it, change it" is about all the feedback you'll ever receive, even if you directly ask for assistance or more in-depth criticism to assist your growth. Management also asked a series of inappropriate questions regarding the frequency I went to use the rest room. Any of my requests for ergonomic accommodation were ignored. Apparently, offended and uncomfortable workers are sufficient to get the job done.

Unless you're wiling away the final few years of your working life, stay away at all costs. Unless you want to get ahead by backstabbing colleagues, never do any real work, and be decades behind the curve, you owe it to yourself to find something better. It's not even worth it as a stopgap job.

Government work just isn't for me. From what I've seen, it ends up sucking the life out of everyone.
Pros
Consistent work tasks
Cons
Little/no feedback, poor direction, incompetent management, very little opportunity to advance, behind the curve technologically, no opportunity to refine existing skills, rude and inappropriate managers

Government of Newfoundland and Labrador Reviews by Location