Government of Newfoundland and Labrador

Government of Newfoundland and Labrador Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Overall Satisfactory
Project Management Engineer (Current Employee), St. John's, NLMay 21, 2015
Knowing that you are contributing to the Public Service and making things better is rewarding. Amount of red-tape and limitations on implementations are challenging and forces individuals to be more creative but slows down the progress of the organization. Nature of the environment, politics, play a role in direction as well as decision making on a daily basis. Learning to navigate around these challenges take significant time and effort.
Bureaucracy
Engineer (Current Employee), St. John's, NLJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: 7 hour work day
Cons: ugly political environment
Pay increases in three steps, automatically every 12 months. This is not a good place for anyone that wants to improve things or takes engineering or science seriously. Many people here hate their jobs and are just waiting to retire, due mostly to bad management attitudes. Layoffs and union bumping are a recurring threat every few years. Everyone at manager and above is non-union and serves the political masters. Most professionals are underpaid by at least 40% and the benefits are rapidly deteriorating, particularly pension. It is not uncommon to have extremely high turn over and many unfilled positions. People that have left are usually delighted that they moved on although they were initially nervous about giving up a relatively secure position. Overall, if you need a job, apply, but unless the culture changes radially, this is no place for people who take pride in their work.
as a plumber it deal with the waste of life....
Plumber (Current Employee), courts, historical properties and other buildingAugust 31, 2014
Pros: making it work
Cons: how to do it
No two problems are the same nor is the cause of it. The fun is to find the best solution to provide the client with a working solution. Best of all most times you are on your own. You the problem and limited supplies. The fun of it.
Great place for summer employment
Office receptionist (Former Employee), St. John's, NLMarch 22, 2014
Pros: monday to friday schedule
I had a great time working here . The people were great , the hours good and I learned a lot about office procedure.
Average government employer
Administrative Officer (Current Employee), St. John'sMay 2, 2013
I enjoyed my managers, directors and deputy. Typical work week was an average 7 hours a day 5 days a week. Co-workers were my favourite part of the job. Our department was more like a family than anything else.
busy environment however not enough challenges
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), St. John's, NLMarch 26, 2013
Pros: people contact
Cons: micro-managed
enjoyed my position however did not offer me the stability I require. found my department was micro-managed and staffers not that friendly...there was no team environment unfortunately
Good working relations with management and co-workers
Occupational Health and Safety Officer (Current Employee), St. John's, NLFebruary 12, 2013
Senior Compliance and training officer for all Occupational Health and Safety Officers employed with government services.

The hardest part of my job is acciudent investigation including long hours. The most enjoyable part of my job is the type of relationship i experience with contractors and workers alike.
Department of Finance
Summer Student (Former Employee), St. John's, NLMay 7, 2012
Pros: every second friday off for summer
Cons: low salary
Collected taxes and did motor vehicle registration for Department of Finance. learned excellent time management and interpersonal skills in a team atmosphere.
Fun team to work with and learn a lot.
Pesticide Control Officer (Former Employee), Gander, NewfoundlandJanuary 25, 2012
The Dept. of Environment and Conservation provided a diverse learning experience. It was an opportunity to meet lots of people from the general public, businesses, and professional instructors in the environment and conservation fields.