Government Of Alberta

Government Of Alberta Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive, energetic, fast-paced
Senior Project Coordinator/Analyst (Current Employee), Edmonton, AlbertaApril 29, 2014
Pros: energetic, streamlined process, very productive, can see results of work
Cons: can be unpredictable, things change rapidly sometimes without notice
-fast paced environment
-stream line decison making process
-fun, energetic environment
-working with highly skilled senior management level indiviudals from across goverment
Fantastic Place to Work
Human Resource Recruiter - Temporary role (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 21, 2014
Pros: compressed work week
Excellent organization enabling employees to reach their full potential but providing learning, leadership and growth opportunities. Allowing employees to take thoughtful risk in trying new and innovative ways of doing business and actively making Alberta a better place to live.
good work environment
Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee), EdmontonMarch 30, 2014
Pros: benefits, interaction with others
Cons: stressful conditions during tight timelines
excellent work environment with abundance of opportunities for new learning experiences.
excellent interaction with peers, management and subordinates.
wide variety of job functions and duties.
continuous educational opportunities
Work outdoors, and enjoy nature.
Labourer (Former Employee), Canmore, ABJanuary 26, 2014
Work outdoors, and enjoy nature. Not much more to say here...
Nice people and a busy productive area.
Administrative Assistant/Accounts Payable (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 25, 2014
Ok place to work as I am learning quite a bit but the uncertainty if there will be something permanent in the area I wish to work in - Purchasing - concerns me as I am told this A/P will only go to the end of March this year. Can't comment any further as I am only a Temp.
Our office was like family
Business Manager-Child Welfare (Former Employee), Edson AlbertaJanuary 4, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: unequal pay scale
*We all worked together your position rank never made you unavailable for any task that needed performing we were a team.
*I learned compassion, understanding of people, and the ability to mentor.
*My co-workers were the best, we were always able to help one another, and be there for each other
*The hardest part of the job was sometimes following policies
*Our potlucks for special occasions
Excellent and stable work pcace
HP Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 26, 2013
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: night and stat holidays shifts
- Excellent training and work experience in Government environment
- Work consisted on providing Tier 1 and 2 support go GoA employees
- Able to handle multiple calls the same time
- Manage difficult cases while under pressure when staff shortage
- Hardest part of job was successfully handle critical issues with Incident Manager(s)
- Most enjoyable past of job was to quickly provide first call resolution and meet SLA
Variety of Work
Institutional Aide 1 (Former Employee), Wetaskiwin, ABDecember 3, 2013
I liked the various different tasks and training I was required to give. The salary and benefits were excellent. The hard part about the job was in the beginning of it when it was cleaning only. It became more enjoyable to me when I was also able to plan and prepare meals, do laundry, and most of all, be and work with the clients.
Typical government environment. Employees are treated fairly well. Continuous training.
Helitack Crew Leader (Former Employee), ABDecember 2, 2013
Typical government environment. Great co-workers, and work/life balance.
Great Job
Administrative Support (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 30, 2013
Worked on contracts of the sustainable resource department. Alongside contract review and data entry, basic financial auditing was also done on a daily basis. Review and ensuring that the financial transaction were completed correctly and that there were no errors in the numbers and if so that they were reported. Lots of opportunities to take on more roles was always there, which was a great way to learn more, also was one of the best parts of the job. Management was extremely helpful when it came to training and guidance at work.
a fair place to work
Branch Head, Technology Integration (Current Employee), EdmontonNovember 4, 2013
Pros: international travel, networks
Cons: bureaucracy
very dependent on your team and leader - a great place to launch your career as good opportunity is given for networking and understanding broad economic drivers for western canada
Alberta Law Courts good to work for
Amdministrative Support 2 (Contract Position) (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 7, 2013
Pros: steady time schedual
Cons: only contract work
You need to be well organized and be able to deal with stress. Co-workers are well trained and are willing to train and help new staff. Hard part of the job is to stay on track of dead lines. Most enjoyable part of the job after knowing what tasks are to be done, is to work independently. The hardest part of the job was to get full time work. I was wanting to stay in the postion that I had at the Albert Law Courts, but I was only hired on a contract basis.
Is a productive and fun workplace to always be
Administrative Support (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 1, 2013
Pros: free summer barbecue
- Attending to client, coding mail in database and other assign
duties.
- To be organize and meet schedule deadline.
- I managed my time and resource well, make a follow-up for
my client to achieve their goal.
- My co-workers are so helpful to achieve the soft skill and culture
in Canadian office.
- Difficult client to please.
- Be able to solve client issue and make him or her happy.
It's what you would expect.
Office Administrator (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 30, 2013
Pros: good benefits
Cons: very political
Great company to work for - unfortunately, the area I am looking to enter, there is nothing available, so I am having to look outside.
Excellent
Deployment Analyst (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 10, 2013
Challenging projects.
Get to work with different ministry.
Excellent Place to Work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 5, 2013
I loved working for the Government of Alberta. There was always plenty of work to do which kept me very busy. It was not usually tedious repetitive work, but rather a variety of different tasks. I definitely gained more skills from this style of job than I had expected.
Thoroughly enjoyed the job, rated job security lower because it was a contract.
Admin Assistant to Senior Health Benefits Planner (Former Employee), Edmonton, AlbertaMay 29, 2013
Pros: extremely busy.
Cons: contract work, not permanent.
Day started at 730 am.
Received on average 20 requests for health benefits daily. Confirmed that each request was valid and met all listed criteria. Liaised with medical and dental authorities across Alberta. Liaised with Alberta Blue Cross, Alberta Dental Services Corporation daily.
Co-workers were wonderful and always willing to share their expertise.
The hardest part of the job was that I could not provide for all of the clients who requested medical/dental/optical assistance.
Most enjoyable part of the job was that I was extremely busy and I could provide for the majority of the client's requests.
Beautiful place to work in the heart of the city.
Property Management, Operations Supervisor (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 27, 2013
Pros: very good benefits and work-life balance
Cons: politics
A typical day at the office I am usually at my desk working on paperwork, checking emails or in meetings at various buildings in my portfolio.

It's been a valuable working experience getting to understand property management and project management hands on.

I fortunately have a good working relationship with my co-workers. We have good communication and everyone gets along as a team.

The hardest part of the job is the demands from our tenants in the buildings we maintain and operate. In some buildings we deal with high government officials, MLA's, judges and lawyers. We do our very best to accommodate them in an efficient and timely manner.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the location. I work at the beautiful Legislature grounds at Government Centre. It is one of the nicest areas in Edmonton, especially in the summer time. The view from my office is breathtaking as it faces the river valley.

I also appreciate the work-life balance working Monday-Friday, having evenings and weekends off to spend time with my family and friends.
Good place to work, however little chance for advancement
Asst. Provincial Wildlife Disease Specialist (Current Employee), EdmontonMay 16, 2013
Pros: work with wildlife
Cons: mis management of assets
The work conditions at the GOA are great, however, I find that management has little interest in developing their employees and tends to mis-manage their employee assets. I have had over 15 years of experience working with caribou, however, given that I work with disease, I have never been considered as an asset toward caribou work in the province. Pigeon holes are widely accepted here.
Friendly people, structured organization, opportunities for learning
Grant Policy Advisor, Alberta Municipal Affairs (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 16, 2013
The Government of Alberta provides a friendly and encouraging environment. You are provided with a plethora of training and the opportunity to move within.

About Government Of Alberta

The Alberta government is one of the largest employers in Alberta with over 25,000 employees throughout the province. We are an – Read more