Government Of Alberta

Government Of Alberta Employee Reviews

I have had no issues with Case workers, Support staff and trainers.
Foster parent (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 10, 2016
I very much enjoy working with seniors spending time or
being a companion.

I am patient and compassionate ,I enjoy reading with those I work with when needed.
Great pay and job security
Assistant Program Administrator (Former Employee) –  EdmontonMarch 31, 2016
Administrative support to the office.

Data Entry

Usage of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook on a daily basis

Preparation of documents following rules and procedures

Communicating with officers when discrepancies appear
Beautiful place to work in the heart of the city.
Property Management, Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 27, 2013
A typical day at the office I am usually at my desk working on paperwork, checking emails or in meetings at various buildings in my portfolio.

It's been a valuable working experience getting to understand property management and project management hands on.

I fortunately have a good working relationship with my co-workers. We have good communication and everyone gets along as a team.

The hardest part of the job is the demands from our tenants in the buildings we maintain and operate. In some buildings we deal with high government officials, MLA's, judges and lawyers. We do our very best to accommodate them in an efficient and timely manner.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the location. I work at the beautiful Legislature grounds at Government Centre. It is one of the nicest areas in Edmonton, especially in the summer time. The view from my office is breathtaking as it faces the river valley.

I also appreciate the work-life balance working Monday-Friday, having evenings and weekends off to spend time with my family and friends.
Pros
very good benefits and work-life balance
Cons
politics
Thoroughly enjoyed the job, rated job security lower because it was a contract.
Admin Assistant to Senior Health Benefits Planner (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaMay 29, 2013
Day started at 730 am.
Received on average 20 requests for health benefits daily. Confirmed that each request was valid and met all listed criteria. Liaised with medical and dental authorities across Alberta. Liaised with Alberta Blue Cross, Alberta Dental Services Corporation daily.
Co-workers were wonderful and always willing to share their expertise.
The hardest part of the job was that I could not provide for all of the clients who requested medical/dental/optical assistance.
Most enjoyable part of the job was that I was extremely busy and I could provide for the majority of the client's requests.
Pros
extremely busy.
Cons
contract work, not permanent.
Fast Pace, Collaborative and Highly Learning Environment, Corporate Culture.
System Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 14, 2014
Fun working environment, Co-workers are friendly and management is always there to help, Decent compensation and benefits, and earned days off.
People who talk big and more are not essentially more trusted and knowledgeable.
Pros
work life balance, good hours, flexible timing, corporate culture.
Cons
slow or no advancement in career.
Productive with great co-workers.
Land Titles Office - Land Titles Senior Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaNovember 8, 2012
There was a lot of in-house training required for this job. Production is required and you cannot proceed without knowing the applicable statutes and case law. I enjoy my current job but loved working as an Administration Assistant (my job as an Admin. Assistant ended because all administrative duties were moved to Edmonton). The people I work with are great and I never have to take work home with me.
Pros
my co-workers are the best, the benefits and hours are great.
Cons
i have been working for the government for 33 years. a change will be good.
Productive and Fun workplace
Human Resource Assistant (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABMay 6, 2014
• Preparing all offer letters, position extension letters, relocation agreements and contract of employment
• Initiating and maintain competition in the system and by creating, maintaining, closing and auditing manual competition files.
• Recruitment and selection to entry level wage positions by preparing advertising, pre-screening applications, administering testing.
• Setting up interviews, preparing interview package, participating in the interviews as required, conducting reference checks, verbal offers and preparing and conducting reference checks.
• Assists employees with file reviews and destruction of documents following the appropriate procedures and guidelines
• Make travel arrangements including vehicle and hotel bookings
• Maintains all administration and position files and disposition of the same as well as disposition of employee relations files.
• Commencement and orientation of new employees
• Generate various reports for Managers and Human Resource Consultants
• Scheduling appointments , operation standard office equipment and processing both incoming and outgoing mail
Pros
benefits, hours of work
Our office was like family
Business Manager-Child Welfare (Former Employee) –  Edson AlbertaJanuary 4, 2014
*We all worked together your position rank never made you unavailable for any task that needed performing we were a team.
*I learned compassion, understanding of people, and the ability to mentor.
*My co-workers were the best, we were always able to help one another, and be there for each other
*The hardest part of the job was sometimes following policies
*Our potlucks for special occasions
Pros
good benefits
Cons
unequal pay scale
good work environment
Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  EdmontonMarch 30, 2014
excellent work environment with abundance of opportunities for new learning experiences.
excellent interaction with peers, management and subordinates.
wide variety of job functions and duties.
continuous educational opportunities
Pros
benefits, interaction with others
Cons
stressful conditions during tight timelines
Terrible
Correctional Peace Officer II (Current Employee) –  EdmontonJanuary 19, 2015
Terrible work environment. Promotions are not merit based. Clique and "who you know" reign supreme. Pay is ok. Benefits are mediocre. Pension is terrible
This was my first real work experience working in a foreign country
Contract/Revenue Accountant (Former Employee) –  Alberta, CanadaOctober 30, 2014
The Government of Alberta, was one of the largest employer in the province of Alberta so it was exciting working for such a large employer.
Pros
great compensation and training.
Cons
too much red tape to get things done
Poor Culture
Project Manager (Employee) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 22, 2015
Not the best culture for someone who is innovative. Poor Leadership, vision. Very difficult to move up but stability is extremely good.
Variety of Work
Institutional Aide 1 (Former Employee) –  Wetaskiwin, ABDecember 3, 2013
I liked the various different tasks and training I was required to give. The salary and benefits were excellent. The hard part about the job was in the beginning of it when it was cleaning only. It became more enjoyable to me when I was also able to plan and prepare meals, do laundry, and most of all, be and work with the clients.
social committee fun
HUMAN RESOURCES PROGRAM ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 29, 2015
Co-Chair of the social committee was so much fun, got to network and bring the team together.
I loved all the training provided by the gov.
Work life balance was amazing
Pros
birthday celebration
Cons
hard to coordinate
Busy Work Place
Timber/Audit Support (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaOctober 25, 2015
High paced work environment with supportive management. Always tasks to be completed. A work environment where I have lots of colleagues, and a few monotonous tasks, as well as new ones.
It's what you would expect.
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 30, 2013
Great company to work for - unfortunately, the area I am looking to enter, there is nothing available, so I am having to look outside.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
very political
Love the GOA
POLICY ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 27, 2015
Great opportunity growth with amazing people to work with! There are a lot of training opportunities to move laterally. Many people I've worked with have been fun yet highly motivated to influence change.
Good Place to Work
DoJ-Maintenance Enforcement-Collection Officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 25, 2012
Great benefits, Call-center is tough for someone who is a listener.
Guideline/Policy Oriented Work
Human Resources - Recruitment Specialist - Intern (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 6, 2015
I personally did not feel like a good fit in this position. There is little room to develop and implement your own methods of getting the work done.
Administration 4
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 26, 2015
I've never had so much fun at a workplace. Working for GOV was a very good experience. I would welcome another opportunity.
Pros
Administration for 20 employee's
Cons
Short contracts

4.2