Government Of Alberta Employee Reviews

Beautiful place to work in the heart of the city.
Property Management, Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 May 2013
A typical day at the office I am usually at my desk working on paperwork, checking emails or in meetings at various buildings in my portfolio.

It's been a valuable working experience getting to understand property management and project management hands on.

I fortunately have a good working relationship with my co-workers. We have good communication and everyone gets along as a team.

The hardest part of the job is the demands from our tenants in the buildings we maintain and operate. In some buildings we deal with high government officials, MLA's, judges and lawyers. We do our very best to accommodate them in an efficient and timely manner.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the location. I work at the beautiful Legislature grounds at Government Centre. It is one of the nicest areas in Edmonton, especially in the summer time. The view from my office is breathtaking as it faces the river valley.

I also appreciate the work-life balance working Monday-Friday, having evenings and weekends off to spend time with my family and friends.
Pros
Very good benefits and work-life balance
Cons
Politics
Thoroughly enjoyed the job, rated job security lower because it was a contract.
Admin Assistant to Senior Health Benefits Planner (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta29 May 2013
Day started at 730 am.
Received on average 20 requests for health benefits daily. Confirmed that each request was valid and met all listed criteria. Liaised with medical and dental authorities across Alberta. Liaised with Alberta Blue Cross, Alberta Dental Services Corporation daily.
Co-workers were wonderful and always willing to share their expertise.
The hardest part of the job was that I could not provide for all of the clients who requested medical/dental/optical assistance.
Most enjoyable part of the job was that I was extremely busy and I could provide for the majority of the client's requests.
Pros
Extremely busy.
Cons
Contract work, not permanent.
fun
Correctional Peace Officer (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB2 July 2016
I really enjoyed working at Diamond carpet center; the management was great and supportive. the pay was okay but working with the people there was a lot of fun.
Fast Pace, Collaborative and Highly Learning Environment, Corporate Culture.
System Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 July 2014
Fun working environment, Co-workers are friendly and management is always there to help, Decent compensation and benefits, and earned days off.
People who talk big and more are not essentially more trusted and knowledgeable.
Pros
Work Life Balance, Good Hours, Flexible timing, Corporate Culture.
Cons
Slow or No Advancement in Career.
Productive and fun work place
Server Administrator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 April 2016
• Create scripts to gather information about applications, server and domain statistics.
• Create documentation for project oriented tasks and steady state tasks.
• Test migration and provide post-migration support
• Steady State support and management of servers in a multi domain and multi-client environment.
• Assist and develop disaster recovery solution for client servers.
• Assist incoming incident, change and task oriented tickets
Productive with great co-workers.
Land Titles Office - Land Titles Senior Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta8 November 2012
There was a lot of in-house training required for this job. Production is required and you cannot proceed without knowing the applicable statutes and case law. I enjoy my current job but loved working as an Administration Assistant (my job as an Admin. Assistant ended because all administrative duties were moved to Edmonton). The people I work with are great and I never have to take work home with me.
Pros
my co-workers are the best, the benefits and hours are great.
Cons
i have been working for the government for 33 years. a change will be good.
Good organization to be part of
Industrial Approvals Engineer (Current Employee) –  Peace River, AB26 June 2016
Excellent management with great support to complete projects.
government of Alberta does a great job to serve the public.
Working here can reach your potential
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton11 August 2015
Helping the vulnerable people makes me feel very happy. We are having a lot of teamwork activities in our workplace such as building Legos, bake sale for fundraiser, helping set up with communities BBQ, blood drive etc.
Good place to work. Good salary and benefits
Communications Professional (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 July 2015
- Decent place to work
- Lot's of opportunity
- Good place to improve your skills
- Very good compensation package
- Interesting subject matter
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Difficult work/life balance
fun workplace
Stevedore (Former Employee) –  Worsley, AB18 June 2016
although the work place had alot to do we away managed to get everything done quick and had time to spare in doing other stuff. the people are very kind and understanding i like the work place a lot.
Pros
free food, nice place to sleep, great working environment, amazing staff
Cons
not being able to stay longer
Dynamic and supportive environment
Driver Examiner (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 June 2016
Very fulfilling experience. Allowed me to gain a tremendous skill of communicating with all types of general public, including the newcomers to Canada. Allowed me to learn how to quickly react in dangerous situations.
Productive and Fun workplace
Human Resource Assistant (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB6 May 2014
• Preparing all offer letters, position extension letters, relocation agreements and contract of employment
• Initiating and maintain competition in the system and by creating, maintaining, closing and auditing manual competition files.
• Recruitment and selection to entry level wage positions by preparing advertising, pre-screening applications, administering testing.
• Setting up interviews, preparing interview package, participating in the interviews as required, conducting reference checks, verbal offers and preparing and conducting reference checks.
• Assists employees with file reviews and destruction of documents following the appropriate procedures and guidelines
• Make travel arrangements including vehicle and hotel bookings
• Maintains all administration and position files and disposition of the same as well as disposition of employee relations files.
• Commencement and orientation of new employees
• Generate various reports for Managers and Human Resource Consultants
• Scheduling appointments , operation standard office equipment and processing both incoming and outgoing mail
Pros
Benefits, Hours of Work
Our office was like family
Business Manager-Child Welfare (Former Employee) –  Edson Alberta4 January 2014
*We all worked together your position rank never made you unavailable for any task that needed performing we were a team.
*I learned compassion, understanding of people, and the ability to mentor.
*My co-workers were the best, we were always able to help one another, and be there for each other
*The hardest part of the job was sometimes following policies
*Our potlucks for special occasions
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
unequal pay scale
No two days were the same
Correctional Peace Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB16 July 2015
Was a great place to work. No two days were the same and you you never new what was going to happen. Always learning new skills.
It was a very close team, the people you worked with became your friends.
Pros
great pay, great benefits
Cons
could be violent
good work environment
Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton30 March 2014
excellent work environment with abundance of opportunities for new learning experiences.
excellent interaction with peers, management and subordinates.
wide variety of job functions and duties.
continuous educational opportunities
Pros
benefits, interaction with others
Cons
stressful conditions during tight timelines
good place to work
Collision Data Editor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 July 2016
good place to work , having fun working here , amazing place to work, good team , treats every one respectfully , takes pride in what we do
Very pleasant place to work
Administrative Support, Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 May 2016
working here has helped me further understand the practices of Human Resources and develop my skills as a professional. There is a lot of opportunity to grow and learn new skills in various jobs.
Great Summer job
Backcountry Trails Flood Rehabilitation Trail Crew (Former Employee) –  Blairmore, AB14 March 2016
Worked as a seasonal worker. Great job, really fun, worked outdoors, good hours ( 10 hour days monday to thursday) wage was pretty good. Location of the job in the crowsnest pass was awesome. management of the program not so much
Pros
Outdoor work, freedom, fun atmosphere
Cons
only seasonal, not very good managment
Working for the Government of Alberta was a very rewarding experience.
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  AB3 February 2016
A typical work day with the Government of Alberta offered me many opportunities to experience varied tasks and skill sets. I truly valued the environment of working within a team that strives to make a difference in the lives of the people of Alberta. Working with a purpose fits into my personal values setting, and was provided within this organization.
Pros
Training was encouraged in areas that benefit your working environment.
Cons
None that I can think of at the moment.
Variety of Work
Institutional Aide 1 (Former Employee) –  Wetaskiwin, AB3 December 2013
I liked the various different tasks and training I was required to give. The salary and benefits were excellent. The hard part about the job was in the beginning of it when it was cleaning only. It became more enjoyable to me when I was also able to plan and prepare meals, do laundry, and most of all, be and work with the clients.

4.2