Government Of Alberta

Government Of Alberta Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
It's what you would expect.
Office Administrator (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 30, 2013
Pros: good benefits
Cons: very political
Great company to work for - unfortunately, the area I am looking to enter, there is nothing available, so I am having to look outside.
Excellent
Deployment Analyst (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 10, 2013
Challenging projects.
Get to work with different ministry.
Excellent Place to Work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 5, 2013
I loved working for the Government of Alberta. There was always plenty of work to do which kept me very busy. It was not usually tedious repetitive work, but rather a variety of different tasks. I definitely gained more skills from this style of job than I had expected.
Thoroughly enjoyed the job, rated job security lower because it was a contract.
Admin Assistant to Senior Health Benefits Planner (Former Employee), Edmonton, AlbertaMay 29, 2013
Pros: extremely busy.
Cons: contract work, not permanent.
Day started at 730 am.
Received on average 20 requests for health benefits daily. Confirmed that each request was valid and met all listed criteria. Liaised with medical and dental authorities across Alberta. Liaised with Alberta Blue Cross, Alberta Dental Services Corporation daily.
Co-workers were wonderful and always willing to share their expertise.
The – more... hardest part of the job was that I could not provide for all of the clients who requested medical/dental/optical assistance.
Most enjoyable part of the job was that I was extremely busy and I could provide for the majority of the client's requests. – less
Good place to work, however little chance for advancement
Asst. Provincial Wildlife Disease Specialist (Current Employee), EdmontonMay 16, 2013
Pros: work with wildlife
Cons: mis management of assets
The work conditions at the GOA are great, however, I find that management has little interest in developing their employees and tends to mis-manage their employee assets. I have had over 15 years of experience working with caribou, however, given that I work with disease, I have never been considered as an asset toward caribou work in the province. – more... Pigeon holes are widely accepted here. – less
Friendly people, structured organization, opportunities for learning
Grant Policy Advisor, Alberta Municipal Affairs (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 16, 2013
The Government of Alberta provides a friendly and encouraging environment. You are provided with a plethora of training and the opportunity to move within.
Enjoyed meeting many kinds of interesting and sometimes obnoxious people.
Secretary (Former Employee), Edmonton, AlbertaMarch 26, 2013
Pros: enjoyed my day.
Cons: no longer able to stand on feet that long.
Thoroughly enjoyed meeting people as well as taking orders for weddings, parties, etc. Filling out liquor permits and ordering the stock and liquor for the bar.
Very good work life Balance and a very good working culture
Business Analyst (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 22, 2013
Extremely good working culture with a very good balance in personal and professional life.
Great opportunity to introduce me to the work force
Limited Company Registry Clerk (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 16, 2013
Pros: opportunities to advance
Cons: temporary position
Great Government temporary position. There was room to advance and the work load was fair for a temp. position.
Has freedom of movement. Able to organize my work as I want to.
OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH & SAFETY OFFICER (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 10, 2013
Pros: respectable work
Cons: affected by frequent change of top management
> Check my assignment regularly in the morning and in the afternoon, and organize my work for the day and the following days accordingly.
> Coordinate my activities with my superior.
> Hold discussions with co-workers
> Conduct field inspections, and issue orders for compliance when needed to employers
> Provide health and safety information to my employers – more... and workers
> Remain calm in conduct of my work. I learned to be open minded.
> It was hardest to deal with uncooperative employers and workers but I always maintained diplomatic approach.
> It was most enjoyable everyday after a field inspection when I am able to educate workers and employers on safeguarding the health and safety of themselves and their work site. – less
Met alot of very interesting people
Administrative Support (Former Employee), ABDecember 10, 2012
Pros: great hours
Cons: some employees had terrible work ethics
I was very busy from the time I arrived until I left for the day.
I learned alot of very interesting things.
Management was great and some of the co-workers were not.
The hardest part of the job was when you had to be in more than one place at the same time, especially when we were transitioning from the old courthouse to the new one.
The most enjoyable – more... part was working at my desk and getting alot accomplished and not having to run all around the courthouse. – less
Productive with great co-workers.
Land Titles Office - Land Titles Senior Analyst (Current Employee), Calgary, AlbertaNovember 8, 2012
Pros: my co-workers are the best, the benefits and hours are great.
Cons: i have been working for the government for 33 years. a change will be good.
There was a lot of in-house training required for this job. Production is required and you cannot proceed without knowing the applicable statutes and case law. I enjoy my current job but loved working as an Administration Assistant (my job as an Admin. Assistant ended because all administrative duties were moved to Edmonton). The people I work with – more... are great and I never have to take work home with me. – less
it was a blast working with team leaders and young students
Cook (Former Employee), long lake education center athabasca albertaSeptember 21, 2012
Pros: able to make special requests from clients with no cost worries
Cons: short term employment on call if i still want the job
nice lake setting variety of group sizes nice kitchen,was able to use left over food for creative second meals for lunch the next day.
Good Place to Work
DoJ-Maintenance Enforcement-Collection Officer (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 25, 2012
Great benefits, Call-center is tough for someone who is a listener.
Mundane for Administrators
Solicitor General & Public Security (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 17, 2012
Pros: compressed work week program
Cons: limited growth
The day consists manily of data entry, answering the telephone, booking appointments and answer inquiries.

Learnt Acom, a PC application for data entry.

Co-workers are wonderful we encourage one another to sustain a active healthy life style.

There are no challenges to the job and the most enjoyable part of the day is when new files arrive.
Beautiful place to work in the heart of the city.
Property Management, Operations Supervisor (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 27, 2013
Pros: very good benefits and work-life balance
Cons: politics
A typical day at the office I am usually at my desk working on paperwork, checking emails or in meetings at various buildings in my portfolio.

It's been a valuable working experience getting to understand property management and project management hands on.

I fortunately have a good working relationship with my co-workers. We have good communication – more... and everyone gets along as a team.

The hardest part of the job is the demands from our tenants in the buildings we maintain and operate. In some buildings we deal with high government officials, MLA's, judges and lawyers. We do our very best to accommodate them in an efficient and timely manner.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the location. I work at the beautiful Legislature grounds at Government Centre. It is one of the nicest areas in Edmonton, especially in the summer time. The view from my office is breathtaking as it faces the river valley.

I also appreciate the work-life balance working Monday-Friday, having evenings and weekends off to spend time with my family and friends. – less

About Government Of Alberta

The Government of Alberta is organized as a parliamentary democracy with a unicameral legislature. Its unicameral legislature—the – Read more

Government Of Alberta Photos